What's stopping me from taking a USB Killer and walking into an apple store with it?

What's stopping me from taking a USB Killer and walking into an apple store with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XFUzpW6Rlis
youtube.com/watch?v=IZkzxWZETds
youtu.be/faKX_P1Be50?t=10m1s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dongles

Mac computers have USB surge protectors. Rendering the 'USB Killer' worthless.

/thread

Because you're not Russian and you'd actually need to go outside to do that.

I dunno, cameras that they have in the store?

Your inherent autism.

The Apple Geniuses will see through your simple tricks

Your heterosexuality.

Some asshole on youtube killed his brand new MBP with one of those and a dongle. Some devices only gets their USB port permanently killed, but that is still something I guess.

Only immune devices so far seems to be iOS due to lightning.

The police in civilian clothes posted outside the Apple store to protect the high value items inside.

FPBP

I'm not an apple shill and even I know this.

>OP
>not a flaming faggot
pick one

You mean like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=XFUzpW6Rlis

Apple products are protected from USB killers.

>walk into apple store with small amount of Gallium
>put a dab of Gallium on aluminium casing of iphone
>leave
>phone housings start falling apart
>noone to blame

youtube.com/watch?v=IZkzxWZETds

What's stopping you from shitting into your hand, walking into an apple store and smear it everywhere?

Shit I've got some gallium lying around somewhere

the law

>ketchup not on keyboard

he posted a followup just yesterday

They likely only protect against small, non-sustained surges.

I dunno why macfags think this
Yes, you short out the pins, they stop providing current. Like every fucking laptop ever.
These only draw

HOLY FUCK THERE WAS A REASON FOR DONGLES!

APPLE SECURITY IS BEST SECURITY!

WINFAGS BTFO YET AGAIN! HOW WILL PAJEET RECOVER?

youtu.be/faKX_P1Be50?t=10m1s

AHAHAHAHAHA

Lightning is just a USB rewire though. Couldn't you just get a USB A female to female and plug it in?

Wouldn't you have to somehow score/cut the surface of the aluminum casing before applying the gallium? And doesn't it take at least a few days to denature the aluminum?

>a dab of gallium
How much do you think it takes?

Gallium will diffuse right through the passivization later. It just takes longer.

s-someone could break your legs before you make it into the store

>you have to keep the room above 30C to keep the gallium liquid and not solidify and stop working
So it wouldn't work at all then.

That's a full mm thick plate with huge surface area. A phone case has considerably less mass to get through and would be more like the can experiment that needed no heating.

But the phone's casing isn't pure aluminum and at least has the oxidized layer. You would have to damage it to get to the aluminium to which wouldn't make it a clean crime anymore.

Basically it wouldn't work. The gallium would at least be visible on the phone, wouldn't stay liquid on your trip to the Apple store, would solidify too quickly even if you managed to get it to the store while it was still liquid.

It's a shitty plan that wouldn't work for reasons presented in the video itself, but uses the video as an attempt to prove the concept.

I really have no idea, but if I had to guess, I would think that Apple has such an absurd degree of control of the lightning port, that they control if it should output any kind of power to the plug in the lightning port in the first place.
This would explain why lightning seems immune, since the killer dongle requires initial power in order to work. Not a lot, but more then 0.
Other USB variants seem to be under less strict lockdown and provide power to any device plugged in and thus the killer dongle can do its magic.

Like I said, this is all me guessing. Dont know if this has anything to do with how things actually are. But if someone does know, I would love to hear!

>You would have to damage it to get to the aluminium

Gallium doesn't require a damaged surface; scratching it up just speeds up the process. And since it's an amalgamation rather than a chemical reaction the gallium isn't spent as it diffuses through and weakens the aluminum. Even if it takes days, a tiny amount diffusing into the metal will still compromise it.

The amalgam not only strips away the aluminum oxide layer, but it also prevents any new layer from forming. If you treat aluminum in such a fashion with gallium and then submerge it in water, it'll rapidly oxidize until you're left with a suspension of aluminum oxide, elemental gallium and a bunch of hydrogen gas. You could then extract out the gallium and use it again.

On a related note mercury will also amalgamate with and compromise aluminum, but it actually does require a hole through the oxide layer to act on the metal.

>wouldn't stay liquid on your trip to the Apple store

You wouldn't need anything more than a thermos or hot water bottle to keep it piping hot.

Might as well take a baseball bat. But maybe you have something better to do than indulging in pointless destruction that gets you v&?