/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Lucretia/vulkan-overlay
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
encyclopediadramatica.se/Randi_Harper
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck linux

fuck india

>GNU/Thread
Why not just thread?

what DE should i use with ubuntu? currently at xubuntu and the DE is buggy af or im retarded. maybe ubuntu mate?

They are forcing their agenda on people in the thread, despite a large number not even using gnu for their userland

It's been a very long back and forth thing with it being linux thread vs gnu/linux thread. Just keep it as gnu/linux thread.

I think I'll just make a a fork of this thread soon. They are welcome there too if they don't mention things exclusive to their userland.

I'm trying to get stats to work with mpv and when I start it I get this message in the terminal

>[stats]
[stats] stack traceback:
[stats] [C]: in ?
[stats] [C]: in ?
[stats] Lua error: /home/jack/.config/mpv/scripts/stats.lua:5: unexpected symbol near '

But you can use Linux without gnu.

nah, I'm bringing it back. just wait a little for when i get into the mood.

Those systems are indeed not GNU/Linux systems, so what's your point?

This is a Linux thread, everything we talk about pertains to the linux Linux and operating system.
You can talk about gnu within the thread the same as you can busybox,qclibc,and malloc and any issues,grivences,support would still be valid as you are using Linux.

You're wrong, pal. This is a GNU/Linux thread, it says it right there in the thread title. Feel free to create an alpine or "Just Linux" thread if you want.

Linux is cuckold communist trash. BSD is not cucked and is pro white and not controlled by kikes.

This is garbage bait and you should feel ashamed.

Been trying to install gentoo for a while now, just for the heck of it. I've had several attempts that resulted in botched installations that I just gave up on, and one attempt where I completed the installation with zero problems and even installed xorg, but decided I was done because I was tired of compiling everything

Now I really want to install it on my laptop, but unfortunately my laptop's AMD card is fairly new and incompatible with the open-source drivers amdgpu and radeonsi (just gives me a black screen on every distro).

I know for a fact that the proprietary driver package (flgrx/Catalyst) works just fine, but is no longer supported/maintained by AMD and therefore no longer easy to install on any Linux distro.

My question is, can someone point me to a recent (2016) resource that will help me install a desktop Gentoo system with the flgrx drivers, and lays out the information with as little headache as possible?

Even better, has anyone else been in my situation, and how to resolve?

You're not wrong. Most of Linux code is written by Microsoft and Google developers. Linus just wrote about 2% of the kernel and it's full of proprietary blobs. I'm pretty curious about how the "Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation" thing will cuck us even more.

Freebsd is literally the best. Don't use it though I don't want your kind attempting to shit it up. You can stay with the Linux plebs

>"gentoo amd drivers"

>us
No. I'm not a Linux pleb. I've already switched to FreeBSD.

If you don't use linux, why are you here shitting it up?

I did google and couldn't find it you fagman autist nigger

You "did" Google?

I'm not shitting up Linux right now. This thread is 95% applicable to any BSD system though so I stay here.

github.com/Lucretia/vulkan-overlay might wanna check this out
also check your card here wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon

Reminder that BSD and GNU worked together pretty close in the beginning when RMS convinced BSD to open their sources. BSD + GNU/Linux are friends, which is also why there is lots of legacy and portability between GNU/Linux and BSD. Be nice to each others, fags.

Linux and GNu both are cuckold communist trash though. BSD is neither cucked nor controlled by kikes.

Buddy, I know you're posting bait that's been posted before. Get some original material.

>thowing stones in a house of glass
Checked your license today?

It's factually accurate though.
Yeah. What's your point though?

encyclopediadramatica.se/Randi_Harper

does """""she""""" control BSD? no? fuck off then.

She promotes it and is responsible for the terrible reputation FreeBSD has.

>most by m$
That's just wrong.

it's correct, look it up

I asked does she "CONTROL" it? No? Fuck off then.
>being pro white, uncucked and not controlled by kikes is terrible reputation
found the communist cuck.

Who the fuck is shilling BSD non stop?
It's absolute trash.

Last time I checked FreeBSD has a SJW reputation. You know, you're starting to get boring now with all this shitposting.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. BSD may have it's problems, but if someone still likes it? Nothing wrong. The only thing which is wrong is being an idot about "kikes" and "communism" and whatever else this faggot is about.

He's just shitposting. Stop replying to him.

can't we just stop trying to BTFO other posters and just discuss a topic like adults

How am I being wrong? You haven't even explained it yet you state is as it it's true.
any problems it "may" have are diminished by everything in this post

It doesn't. It's pro white and uncucked by Linux and GNU kikes.

>implying retarded, stupid Sup Forums adults don't exist

1st part meant for >implying i'm retarded, stupid or from Sup Forums

This isn't Sup Forums, it's just a retard who thinks he's witty shitting this thread up.

Stating the truth about linux is shitting the thread up? How?

You're sperging on about kikes and pro-whites. Whatever stallmans ramblings on about is not related to linux.

>come to linux thread
>yells "linux is shite"

I have my root partition on my SSD and my home partition on my HDD. Where would be the proper place to install git programs in my root partition?

You want to get a program from a git server and compile and install it?

Yes, Linux and GNU are controlled by commie kikes. FreeBSD is not. It's clearly better.
It's not a linux thread. The name is simply inaccurate, people don't discuss Linux specific problems here. The usually stuff being discussed are programs which work on BSD too.

I want to install i3-gaps from git and I would like it on my SSD which only contains my root partition. Where is the proper place to build it in my root partition?

Your config is broke

I've never done make install from a different drive. Do you still have a home directory on your SSD?

No, only a shortcut to the one on my HDD, would it be okay if I just made a folder in there for all of my programs that I want on there? Would it be alright to install it in the bin folder?

I don't think you're supposed to touch /bin. Why not just make a temporary directory anywhere on your SSD like say the root directory, git the source, compile, and run make install? Delete the folder when you're done.

Sharing is always communism and so is BSD.
Come back to Microsoft.

Make a "bin" folder in your ~/bin and put it in your path. You can do this for standalone programs easily, or scripts you make.But you should do the compiling and building within your package manager instead of doing it ouside of it where your system cant keep track of it

>Sharing is always communism
Sharing isn't communism.
>Microsoft
My main system is uncucked and non-communist BSD.

>~/bin/bin
kys

Stop giving him the (you)s he desires.

Why do you want me to kms? I have done nothing to deserve such hatred towards me. I'm just recommending you to install a OS that respects your anti-communist views.
You just did that yourself though, just implicitly. The thing is that I don't care about them. so you don't have to feel bad about yourself now

I have installed pulse audio equalizer, and it created that LADSPA Plugin EQ multiband [...] output device.
How can I set it as my default output device for applications? I've tried some things but they didn't work, whenever I play a video or something else it uses the regular output device (Built in analog stereo)

I use linux with steam and all firmware blobs included. Am I still a communist? I agree that FSF is commie but I don't think linux itself is,

BSD has shitty hardware support and isn't an option for most people.

Why only half of my images have thumbnails in firefox? The rest are placeholder icons.

>I agree that FSF is commie but I don't think linux itself is,
You have my permission to use Linux. But only under one circumstance. namely, you can't use BSD on your hardware. Just try it out, you'll love it my man. It respects your anti-communist views, Linux doesn't.
Get rid of the firmware blobs you don't need though if you are in the US or EU. If you are anywhere else it shouldn't matter since the local guys probably don't have access to the backdoors in that firmware.

I'm using a Laptop with Intel integrated graphics and a GTX 950M, which only activates when playing games. Would it fuck my shit up if I don't install non-frew drivers for that on for example Debian or Fedora?

They dont datamine or sell your data

are they all jpg/jpeg's ?

>an Arch guide using Debian software fixed my Gentoo install
what the fuck is this shit!

Freedom.

What makes you think that the FSF is "commie"?

It's not, they have no problem with you making profit or selling software. FSF just wants your four software freedoms to be respected, nothing more than that.

memes

This.

>FSF just wants your four software freedoms to be respected
Do they have a problem with me choosing to use proprietary software which violates this? If they do, I can't respect them.

It's your choice to use proprietary software, they just won't promote your software if it's proprietary.

Fine by me. I don't expect anyone to promote anything they disagree with.

Is there a program which automatically types what I say into the quick reply box? I'm so lazy right now. :3

Just write it, breh. (And don't forget to add a free license).

That's not what I was asking for.
I asked if I really need to install non-free drivers for a secondary GPU that's never being used? Will it fuck my OS up?

Yeah, and be sure to write it in python so I never use it.

It works with cinnamon, but not with kde
why can't linux just work?

If you never use the secondary GPU and there are no non-free drivers for proprietary hardware, all that means is that the OS will never work with the hardware in question. It's not a big deal if you never intended on using it.

That's actually a big problem especially on github. So many programs and libs can't be used in other projects because people don't care about licensing their shit.

>which only activates when playing games
if you only use it to play games, you will use it only on windows. no need to install the drivers on linux.

>github
Trash site. SJW, "Open Source", riddled with nonfree shit that tracks your ass. They even use canvas tracking, these shady faggets. And dare you to call your program "Webm for Retards", they'll take your program down.

is it possible to make bash cycle through files when you hit tab, just like zsh?

like cd *tab* then you cycle through folders

that's the only reason why I use zsh

Yes. Drop this into your ~/.bashrc
bind 'tab:menu-complete'

how do you guys know such things?
are you wizards?

Is there any good alternative? I've seen a lot of retarded shit on there too.

I've heard of gitgud that I think is ran by 8ch anons.

No, we just read manpages.
There is notabug, savanna, gitlab, where notabug and savanna is for free/libre software only.

>not having a github account
you'll never get a job in tech

There are ones though. Stability matters much to me, that's why I'm choosing Debian or Fedora, maybe a never used CPU recognized by the system could fuck my shit up or something.

lel, that's like saying

>not having a facebook account
>you'll never get a job anywhere

don't be stupid