/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/VsDXVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/66DNYr
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qpNTZ8
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vrj7sJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/wNrfxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/C2qyHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/T7FBqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/WzN7sJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/vcT7sJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/JfvFm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/WzN7sJ):
pcpartpicker.com/list/JfvFm8):
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WCtdGf
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zdf4Z8
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627 600438202 600491547
pcpartpicker.com/list/Y7MQKZ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gwCP8K
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

my friend game me a case and graphics card for free, and monitor for free. So I have an extra 550$ to spend on the rest of the PC.
Here's what I got: pcpartpicker.com/list/VsDXVY
What would you change?

As the other user said, get 3000MHz RAM

Is that all I should change?

That's it. Once you save up $1K get a 1440p HDR adaptive sync >100Hz IPS monitor and 1070 or 1080Ti tier graphics card

I'm going to slowly upgrade my computer piece by piece. What should be my priority?

I'm thinking double the ram, upgrade to an i7 then get a new GPU.

You're fine for now. OC if need be. Next upgrade is here

Just noticed that you don't have an SSD. Grab a 240GB for $60

Sorry to tell you this but your CPU is good already

guts of revival

Born out of /pcbg/

16gb of ram is all I would change. Unless you want to go with Nvidia.

I have a question I am going to replace my graphics card tomorrow and I was wondering if there would be any BIOS or something I would need to look out for. Is it like RAM where it is plug and play basically?

>What's a good modular power supply, 500-700w?
NOT CORSAIR.

Fuck Corsair, I've had it a year and it just dies for days/weeks at a time.

If it's compatible then it's plug, install drivers, and play.

I agree ram needs to be at 16gb to be on the safe side to be future proof especially being fast on video games and video editing tasks. I would say 8gb would be good if you do not plan to do anything much but even then the new Steam games are starting to upgrade to the 8gb minimum and 16gb max.

How bad would a 2500k/RX480 combo be?

Is coolermaster any good?
I've only used their fans/heatsinks

Not actually sure how much power this will draw, It'll be pic related plus 1 SSD and 3+ HDD

Seasonic x-series

EVGA Supernova G3

Scratch modular, I don't need it.
Also don't need the 0 RPM fan mode either.

I thought I'd just buy a really nice PSU and I'd never have to worry about anything again.

>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved
Jesus Christ. Those builds are retarded. Neck yourself OP.

You better get a Nvidia card if you have an old CPU because driver overhead.

>
>Is coolermaster any good?
>I've only used their fans/heatsinks
>
>Not actually sure how much power this will draw, It'll be pic related plus 1 SSD and 3+ HDD
Why 3 HDD? Just get one 4tb one.

I have one 4tb one. And a 2tb one, and a 1tb one.
kek

A lot of I3 in the beginning really were cringe. Either go I5 or I7 or nothing at all.

Is this overhead difference really that significant? I can get a 1060 if it is but I'm too sick and tired of Nvidia's bullshit so I'd rather stay away from them if it's possible.

The build there are all together complete shit and cringe. This list should not be any further included in the current state.

I didn't read the sticky, my mistake. Looks like that coolermaster in: is about right. I just measured my current system and it's drawing 180w max, 90 idle. (i5 750, 8gb ddr3, HIS 6770). I put the new build through a caculator and it said it'll be about 270w, are power supplies a meme? They're all 500+

Out of stock

$200AUD, looking for low $100

>Get it from somewhere else
I have a friend making a trip from a city that has a computer store I trust in it to my middle of nowhere town

what thermal paste do you guys recommend?

roast me post-purchase

no need. you roasted yourself

>being polish
My toliet's clogged again, gonna need you to pick up my shit again

I fell for the cx600 meme and a year in the fan started rattling occasionally, should I return it and get sent another and not be able to use my PC til then or should I get something else?

NT-H1, PK-2/3 nano, Kryonaut, MX3.

Cooler Master V series 650W
vs
SeaSonic G-650 650W?

SeaSonic G-650 would cost 20 € less

Corsair RM650x

But aren't Corsair PSUs the meme that lead me to this situation of needing a new one if the first place?

pcpartpicker.com/list/66DNYr
Rate my shitposting machine.

650w super flower 80+ gold

Is the netduma r1 a meme router or is it legit? And could you make a regular router with custom firmware behave similarly?

>/vgcag/ - Video Game Console Assembly General

Collecting memes in high speed is your only purpose?
>Look mum, I posted it again!

And gaming, of course. I don't know if I should go with a Mid tower case for better cooling and more drive bays or not.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/66DNYr
Good build, if you need more drive bays get the Define S.

Thanks

I can get their Platinum King 80+ for the same price, should I go for that one instead?

Oh for sure it's obviously an later released upgrade of the green.

Asked this in a thread before, but it'd like to get a few more opinions on this since i'm not sure myself.

I'm currently making a new build since i'll have some time arround christmas/new year to assemble and install everything i need. Also Asus has some nice cash back deals and Mindfactory has always good sales.
Purpose is mostly university, work, webdev, light programming, PhpStorm / IntelliJ, VMware, shitposting, watching chinese cartoons and some occasional light gaming (old shit like swkotor). I'd like to play other games, but no time and i can always buy a GPU.
I doubt i'll need a dedicated GPU for my usage and the B150 mobo comes with 1x HDMI and 1x VGA and the Z170 with even more, which is enough for me. I currently have no space for a third monitor anyways.
Depending on local deals/sales and so on i might change one or two items. I will also get 1-4 Be Quiet! SilentWings 2, which are cheap if the case fans are shit.
Location is obviously Germany, budget doesn't really matter, but i do not want to overpay, my inner jew is too strong. On the other hand, the system is build to last about 4-6 years until i'm done with education.
I've made a budget 6500 and a better 6700K (alternatively 6600K) version. The third option would be Zen, but i don't really want to wait until Q3/4 2017 when the 4/6C 8/12T processors come out, the 8C/16T will be to expensive since they compared it to the 6900K.

Budget: de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qpNTZ8

High-end: de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vrj7sJ

Please give me your opinion on this, what you'd do in my position and why.

I would just get a 5820k if you were going to buy a 6700k. 6 cores ain't no joke. I have a 6600k, its nice but sometimes limited with regards to vm's and encoding and stuff.

So I'm selling my old rig to a friend, what would you value this at Sup Forums? When I got it a few years ago it cost like 550 to make.
pcpartpicker.com/list/wNrfxY

Thanks, but 2011-3 platform is overall too expensive for me.
I set myself the limit of 1000 € for a high-end build without a GPU.

The Z97-A only has 2 PCI-E 2.0 lanes available for the M.2 slot. Would using a drive with that even be any faster than using a regular SATA SSD?

>de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vrj7sJ
You are a perfect candidate for Ryzen. Just wait until January and buy the lower-tier 8 core Zen with a B350 motherboard. And tell me how Achmed's dick tastes in your manwhore German mouth.

pcpartpicker.com/list/C2qyHN

Is this good for entry level gaming? I need to hover at around 550.

>the lower-tier 8 core Zen
There will be more than one version initially? I only read about the 8C/16T @3.4GHz Ryzen CPU.
This one is probably going to cost 400+ which is definitely too much. The versions with less cores won't come until later in 2017 and i kinda don't want to spend 300+ € on a ~2.8GHz lower version of Ryzen.

>how Achmed's dick tastes in your manwhore German mouth
Idk, but i could ask some degenerate #refugeeswelcome bitches at my college. Also, see pic related.

The lower-end 8 core is rumored to start at $350. And it's only 0.4GHz slower than the top-end Zen. All Zens will release at the same time.

>it's only 0.4GHz slower
That would be totally fine, but i doubt the price will be. $350 translates into roughly 390€ because of the fucking taxes we have to pay.
Fuck the EU, fuck this government, taxation is theft.

>All Zens will release at the same time.
I've read that initially only the 8C CPU will be available in Q1, might be that i'm not up-to-date anymore.
If that's the case it makes it even harder to decide. The 6C CPU for hopefully 250-350 at hopefully 3.6GHz looks like the sweet spot for me.
Jesus AMD don't tease me desu~

Trying to replace my shitty 10 year old desktop, dunno much about building my own though. Wondering if I should attempt it or if I should just buy something like pic related. I also don't use Sup Forums much so if I'm posting in the wrong spot I'm sorry, just hoping for advice.

I wouldn't buy a pre-built AMD FX system unless they were practically giving them away. Intel's a better bet there since OEMs actually gave a damn about making their Intel systems not crap and not unreliable since those are their bread and butter.

Is it possible to swap out the AMD for an intel at a later time? I'm on a short budget and don't do anything higher end than LoL and Overwatch so I'm not too focused on it being fantastic.

I need help finding a good HDD that is quiet to go with my SSD. Recs appreciated.

Also, rate and hate.

pcpartpicker.com/list/T7FBqk

pcpartpicker.com/list/WzN7sJ

Can I just torrent Windows and install it via usb to save money? Or do I need to buy it to get a key?

First pc build, Going to be mostly used for gaming.

Oh, and the graphics card is placeholder for an MSI 1060.

That's horrible for that price, you can get something a lot better if you build your own.
pcpartpicker.com/list/vcT7sJ
This, for example.
It's extremely easy to build a PC, just use guides on the internet.

Hi guys, just a quick question. I have an ATI Radeon 5850 and I want to improve to a 1060 6gb. It is a good choice for 260€?Should I wait for the new upcoming GPUs? Note that I would be playing 1080p

Nope. Not at all. You'd need to buy a whole new motherboard, RAM, and CPU. There are no further upgrade paths for AM3+ anymore, so find a cheap Celeron G3900 prebuilt for $300 or so. That way you can at least upgrade to an i7-6700 later on when you have more money.

You don't need 16GiB of RAM for gaming. I would just get 12GiB. With the money that saves, I would get a 2TB hard drive.
Something like this: pcpartpicker.com/list/JfvFm8
You don't need a key, you can just use an activator such as Daz Loader. As to how well it works, I have no idea.
Get a RX 480 8GB instead. It is on par with the 1060 for DX11 games, and better than the 1060 for DX12 and Vulcan, on both the 3GB 1060 and the 6GB 1060.

Thank you sir. No more waiting then

Seasonic g series fo sho

>you don't need 16GB ram ($70)
>get 12GB ram ($70)
>with the savings ($0)
>buy a 2TB HDD ($70)

What's the purpose, gaming, shitposting, etc?
If it's for some work and shitposting only, get a prebuilt Intel i3-6100 PC without a dedicated GPU.

>Price of original list (pcpartpicker.com/list/WzN7sJ): $1287.83
>Price of my list (pcpartpicker.com/list/JfvFm8): $1286.44
Weird how that works, right?

How do I know if my mobo is toast?

I'm running ubuntu, and randomly, recently, I have been having trouble booting. The first time I simply reformatted, but now I get low-graphics mode, login loops, random disconnect from the internet, and goddamn i am reduced to the terminal and every command takes forever.

It's a asus z87-a , seems like many people have had it die after the same time frame as me (2 years). I'm not sure whether to buy a LGA1151 mobo or get another LGA1150.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WCtdGf

good or shit?

Ahh okay I see. Darn, I thought I'd found a good one too. But the build you posted looks pretty good, cheaper too. Thank you for your help friends, I think I might get those parts you listed instead.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zdf4Z8
Now it is. WD Black is overrated and overpriced. 850 Evo is just... just get it. Toshiba P300 is an excellent HDD for a good price, idk why it isn't more popular.
Enthoo Pro seems overkill, at least get the Enthoo Pro M. I swapped it for the much smaller Define C, if you need more bays get the Define S, if you want a 5" bay, get the Enthoo Pro M or Define R5.
Since you're from EU you have the luxury to buy Palit GPUs. The SuperJetstream is a very fast, cool and quiet card, it's also cheaper.
Also rethink if you're fine with 8GB RAM, 16GB is recommended. Other than that, good build.

What is the fastest path to getting all windows 7 updates installed on a fresh system? Do I get SP1 and then the latest convenience rollup?

>ebay
>1150 mini itx
>"used"
>results are more expensive than the new ones

what the actual fuck

bump

Is DDR4 3000MHz worth the premium over 2400MHz? There's 16gb gskill on sale for $75.

>tfw you found a cheap X79 dual CPU motherboard
Feels good man
>tfw you still don't have all money to buy it.
And I still need the E5's the graphics card, the PSU, the coolers and all shit.

Don't use eBay Israel, user.

If it's a z97 good luck. They're basically non existent now. I have a 4790k that's just sitting here. Fucking bullshit.

No, just go 2400 if it's on sale. If you're just gaming the difference is negligible

Yeah, they totally don't exist anymore, send me your processor goyim.

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627 600438202 600491547

Isn't for gaming, mostly a general linux box/server/seedbox, with playing some old games occasionally on the igpu. Thanks for the advice.

Hmm, let's see.

>ECS
>L337
>ASRock

>Killer Ethernet

That eliminates like 90% of those. The others I don't like.

>I don't like
>don't exist
Pick one dipshit

Sure if it's on sale
Most 16Gb ram ends up being $70-80 from 2133-3000 at least

Yeah, a bit on the high end there and with ugly "heatsinks" too. Kinda bummed about the DDR4 price hike since I have no choice since it's my first build with it.

What should I upgrade from this? Thinking about 8gb more ram and a larger SSD.

accidentally bought the wrong psu lmao

Im a noob, critique this build

Motherboard MSI B150 GAMING M3
Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz 6MB Sk1151
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WF OC 6GB
Crucial 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4-2400MHz Single Ranked RAM x2
Cooler CPU Cooler Master Hyper103
Nox NX 650W Power Suply
SSD Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB
3.5" Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM 64MB SATA III
ATX Nox Hummer ZS Zero Edition Case
Nox CoolFan 120mm LED Red 1200RPM

Good? Bad? What do i change

Post criticism or shut up. Or perhaps you think I give a shit about your anonymous opinion?

It's ok, probably want an aftermarket cooler to make sure that the CPU keeps its max boost clocks
Otherwise drop down to the i5 6500
Consider a HGST HDD

The SSD if you want it
What's your res? If 1080p the rest is fine
Otherwise save up for a really nice monitor and the gfx power to drive it

Considering you probably won't even use all that RAM, faster RAM is worth the small difference in cost even if you have to buy less of it. Can always add more down the road when it will be cheaper and actually useful

Some pirate versions have all the updates rolled into them

Hard to know what the problem is. What's your CPU? If you are using an i3 or a slow i5 just upgrade and sell your current CPU on ebay

CPU? Might need to upgrade both at the same time

i'm and i have a 1080p IPS I like a lot. Not gonna upgrade until 4k IPS is cheap enough and I can afford a quality GPU

pcpartpicker.com/list/Y7MQKZ

First build, anything I should change?

Gaming
Photoshop
Maya
Zbrush
Streaming

2160p will pretty much be an end all res unless you have amazing eyesight. Definitely wait to get all the bells and whistles you want (>100Hz, HDR, adaptive sync) and a model known for reliability

If you can get an i7 for streaming

is this bad ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gwCP8K