/wt/ - Watch Thread : Shills Shilling Shills Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
[YouTube] Watch Movements: "How a Watch Works" 1949 Hamilton Watch Co 20min (embed)

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE (embed)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ
meinberg.de/
oscilloquartz.com/
microsemi.com/products/timing-synchronization-systems/timing-synchronization-systems
youtube.com/watch?v=QHsGaGmCtlE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

way to go faggot.

youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>(me)

Hey /wt/, what watch is this? Thanks.

>first for reliable beater in the middle of the black continent

What's up, anons?

focus pls

it is focused, I can read the license plate easy

What are some really durable mechanical watches? And I don't just mean it can handle being dropped. I'm talking some rough falls and hits

Couldn't
It was either focusing on the watch, or on the fine dark gentlemen that were thinking about taking it from me unpolitely.

I think I made the right choice.

No one's even interested in you.

seiko iso certified divers need to be able to take hits and keep running

that's the only thing i can think of that's relatively cheap

*impolitely
Fuck, I'm still a bit drunk.

Why would it be falling or taking rough hits?

>What are some really durable mechanical watches? And I don't just mean it can handle being dropped. I'm talking some rough falls and hits

The ones that are so cheap you don't really care.

If you're planning on going apeshit on your watch, mechanical ones probably aren't for you.

In the photo, ya numbnuts.

Ever seen a cat get close to something and then act like it's not interested before attacking?

Kek
That was just a joke. I actually encounter no problems at all.

Vostok Komandirskie.

Can leather-strapped watches be used daily?

I'm talking about leather straps on casio watches that are under $100.

Can you show the watch closer and not the niggers, please?

Arrange these watch companies from best to shit.

Give the first watch you choose a best in bracket and similarly for the last watch a shit in brackets.

Casio
Seiko
Omega
Rolex
Tudor
Tissot

are digital watches being phased out anytime soon?

I don't want to buy a Casio digital watch and then in 5 years not be able to buy a new one

No?

Yes.

It depends on the watch really, the strap can always be exchanged.

Seiko > Rolex > Tudor > Omega > Casio > Tissot

Rolex > Tudor > Omega > Seiko > Casio > Tissot

Rolex > Omega > Tudor/Seiko > Casio > Tissot

>Seiko probably best and i dont even own shitko watch
>Omega old fame
>Tudor diet rolex
>Rolex list its status i dont care what anybody says
>Casio they also make keyboards
>Tissot

>lost*

>I don't want to buy it then not be able to buy a new one

wait what

tissot is the official sponsor of the nba and they use tissot as their shot clock, where precision is imperative.

so therefore tissot is the best

Olympic basketball is going to be Omega though.

Hi guys,I've ordered therese expensive watches rate me :^) give me like and subscribe

i was joking, but honestly if I actually believed that then olympics wouldn't mean shit, the nba is much more competitive than the olympics.

demar derozan was attempting crazy shit that would get him insta-benched in the nba like 360 dunk attempts, and it's not just this year, history is full of examples like vince carter climbing over 7ft centers, etc.

Seiko > Rolex > Tudor > Casio > Omega >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tissot

>clock
>tissot

If you're looking for a stationary precision timepiece, look elsewhere.

meinberg.de/
oscilloquartz.com/
microsemi.com/products/timing-synchronization-systems/timing-synchronization-systems

Enjoy.

I know you were kidding. Omega is the timekeeper for all Olympic events afaik.

really makes you think

reposting this from last thread: is there a book or something which details the last century or so of watchmaking history/culture and the the influential people, events and pieces? or is this type of shit relegated to wikipedia

like i had no idea who george daniels was until someone mentioned it last thread, would be nice to have this in a book

it was a joke

>I don't want to buy it then not be able to buy a new one

But you want to not buy a Casio digital watch and then in 5 years not be able to buy a new one?

So it's ok if digital watches disappear as long as you don't own one?

Someone should make a book like that

>like i had no idea who george daniels was until someone mentioned it last thread

Influential Engineers often go without notice unless you pay notable attention to their field.

Got a SEIKO SKS453 for about 180$(165€) recently. Did I do good /wt/?

Been using a generic cow leather strap on my daily for 2 years now. Very comfy, no signs of wear and tear.

G-shocks are eternal. Unless you run it over with your car it'll probably last you until you die

What makes Tissot so shit? My dad bought me a quartz Tissot when he went to Switzerland.

Orient Bambino v2 or Kent Wang Bauhaus v3/v4 as a dress watch for formal and semi-formal occasions?

0 brand Identity, just another ETA shitter

Rolex > Tudor > Seiko > Casio > Omega == Tissot

>What makes Tissot so shit? My dad bought me a quartz Tissot when he went to Switzerland.

Generic eta dogshit with zero value. I mean fuck even amongst the dogshit Tissot is bad. An Oris would be significantly better than a fucking Tissot.

Depends on your climate/work environment. I live in a dry climate and pretty much wear my watch from my air-conditioned home to my air-condtioned car or metro (if I'm not lazy that day) to my air-conditioned office and back, so leather is perfectly fine. Otherwise, it may get too sticky. If you like the look you can always invest in waterproofed/"performance" leather (Hirsch and DiModell have some offerings - pic related).

vostok komandirskie/amphibia are probably the ideal for that

why? because not only are they designed to be rugged enough, they're also cheap so you won't exactly feel like kys if you do manage to destroy one

seikos have certifications but you can get like 3 vostoks for the price of one, if not more

Quartz Tissot is a product for non-watch people. I'm sorry, but your dad has atrocious taste.

Mechanical Tissot is a product for people who still place stock in the Tissot of the 60's/70's, when they were essentially on-par (in terms of quality) with Omega. The problem is, Tissot no longer make their movements, and their current watches can claim no heritage from the Tissot of the past.

I don't follow the olympics closely but the /ast time I watched them the timer in the bottom right corner of the screen clearly said Seiko.

Found my father's seiko pilot flightmaster.

It's in pretty bad conditions, do you guys think it would be possible to restore it?
I think the mechanism it's repairable, and maybe it would be easier to replace the glass and the bezel.
The watch it's probably worth no more than 200€ (in good conditions) so I don't really wanna spend more than its value

Would be better if it was white-blue-red instead of blue-white-red.

>I'm a pleb who cannot afford or recognise the pinnacle of mid-low-price superior swiss movement with unfussy looks and panties wetting class
mfw

Well I ordered it. Now we wait :)

New crystal will tidy it up nicely, probably easy to find, the bezel may take some looking though.

The movement is likely functional, but in need of a service just to clean it up and get it running like new.

Take it to just about any watch maker or jeweller and just get it serviced.

No woman is going to be impressed by a Tissot holy shit.

who is that thicc young lady on the right

Taking it on a month long trip to China buds

You certainly could have done worse.

fresh and original

b8ed ꒰•‧̫•ू꒱
youtube.com/watch?v=QHsGaGmCtlE

>1853
The biggest idiot stamp a person can buy.

Tissot only began putting that on their dials in the 90's. Ironically, the appeal Tissot is making to their long history and heritage with that inclusion, breaks with their history and heritage.

And the case makes it look like a fucking Citizen.

MAN ON THE FUCKIN MOON

God the Explorer II looks like trash..Really cannot see the appeal in it myself.

I'M SORRY

pls respond

out of the way prole, masterrace coming through

I remember my father took to a jeweller once and he told him it was not worth it, don't remember why.
But I'll do just that.

orient's logo looks like a beer company but sterile watches disgust me

Bambino v1 or 4

Let's see your Explorer I senpai.

No.

Was that 14 years ago? The last time Seiko did it was 2002 according to their wikipedia page.

>very Sup Forumsay

ditto

ultra ditto

Well, I was thinking of whichever one has the Roman numerals.

Yeah don't get the one with the roman numerals.

Hello Sup Forums

What is a good watch to keep an eye on both 24 hour and 12 hour, extra stuff for timing stuff like activity’s and such, a really functional one.

Around 50 pounds cheap

F-91w

sarb035 only 312 on amazon men

buy me one too if you don't mind

can someone explain to me how Sup Forums-technology ended up talking about jewelry on regular basis?

Nice.
Felt the same with my Saiko in rural Peru.

Sup Forums only talks about two things, consumerism and compsci homework. this falls in the former.

Am I the only one who hates Seikos? Their design's just bland as hell and it's a mystery why they decided to stick to it.

Sure bro, not a problem

I wonder all the time why anons pay 400$ for what does not look any different than 2$ watches from aliexpress.
I guess It is so some nigger does not steal them?

hell i think they even went to far a bit on the sarb035. the chapter ring doesn't really need sub-second markings

but in general idk, they look timeless, elegant and understated to me

probably just not your style

What really triggers my autism is that the chapter ring has only 5 markings per secound while the watch runs at 6hz.

You need to own a watch to understand what makes a watch dogshit or not. Chink watches may look decent from a good distance but they certainly don't feel like it.

There are very few red-dial watches. Opinions on this one for causal wear?

I'm looking for a nice budget diver, Seiko ones are a bit pricier than citizen, are they worth the extra bucks?

It looks like a tranny watch m8.

There is a good reason why there are so few.

why just the dial? go all the way

y

our very own johnnie cochran has one