Will C# ever surpass Java in popularity? Compared to C++, Java is easier and all, but when you put it next to C#, damn...

Will C# ever surpass Java in popularity? Compared to C++, Java is easier and all, but when you put it next to C#, damn. C# is just so much better.

Other urls found in this thread:

harding.edu/fmccown/java_csharp_comparison.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>C# is just so much better.
a little bit

>Which pile of shit is prettiest

how is developing with c# on and for linux?

performance wise yeah, difference is not so big. but when it comes to creating a GUI, or just writing in it, it feels better. in Java it feels like writing same things over and over again.

of course its not as good as C++ when it comes to speed, but C# is easily the best "easy" language at the moment.

>Will C# ever surpass Java in popularity?
No.

>damn. C# is just so much better.
explain how,because I cannot think of a single reason.

Compared to Java EE, C# is shit.

check out IntelliJ Rider, new IDE for C#, its crossplatform. i cant tell more, havent tried it.

>but when it comes to creating a GUI, or just writing in it,

That fades quickly once you do something for which C# hasn't premade libraries/tools for.

> C#
> superior
> mysides.jpg

I personally think C# has an autistic syntax

Haven't really tried much of it, but the .NET Core worked very well for what I was doing, which was something of a thread watcher for Sup Forums that downloaded images from threads.

It's all in the preference, I'd argue the opposite.
harding.edu/fmccown/java_csharp_comparison.html

C# is eternally coupled to Microsoft, it's worthless without an Azure stack

so Java will always reign superior due to the fact that Oracle haven't built their own cancerous ecosystem around it

C# + .NET core = no microsoft ties

.NET core is open source and you can use it for professional development without having to give microsoft a dime

>go to .NET Core github
>all links lead to microsoft
who the fuck are you kidding

Visual Studio isn't exactly free either

>Resources and communities out the ass
>Entire ecosystems based around open source tools and frameworks
>Oracle actually putting in effort to make Java great (7 and 8)
>A bunch of derived JVM languages, all with their own features, frameworks and communities
>The powerhouse that is Java EE

yeah it's not gonna happen any time soon

>.NET core is open source and you can use it for professional development
I'm not proficient with .NET, but I doubt that MS would let use .NET with important for .NET parts for free.
What does .NET core lack?

.NET core is just an initiative to make .NET more modular.
What would it lack?

I suppose something that makes .NET actually useful for developers.
We have "Mac OS X core" open-sourced, but was anything made useful with bare Darwin?

Java is more popular than C#, actually Java is the most popular programming language.

It's just .NET but open source and modular. It doesn't lack anything.
They open sourced ASP.NET (ASP.NET core), Identity Framework and WCF too.
Only thing lacking is a cross platform GUI framework but you can just write a web application.

Just more people feeling harmed.

>i cant tell more, havent tried it.
It's still a beta, so there are still problems.
I use IntelliJ for all of my development, but Visual Studio for C# / .NET.

It has the feel of a JetBrains product; all of your keybinds and shortcuts are there, the menu is the same, toolchains are the same.
There are some minor annoyances that I'm sure they will fix in time. For example:
- When debugging an ASP.NET application, clicking "Run" doesn't open your browser like it does in Visual Studio. It just opens a terminal instance running IIS Express; you have to manually open your browser and navigate to localhost:port.
- Dependencies in Visual Studio are loaded as greater-than-or-equal-to. Rider only loads that specific version, so if you update one of your libraries, it has the potential to break your entire application.
- Autocomplete and IntelliSense does not work very well in Razor pages. If you try to reference a C# method, it won't offer suggestions until after you've written out the entire class and method name.

Visual Studio Code is free though, works great for Core. Either way, you don't need to use an IDE at all.

>Either way, you don't need to use an IDE at all.
>t. retarded hobby programmer
Back to /dpt/ and vim vs emacs threads

>how to become hated in the linux community

>Emacs
>not IDE
Oh well.

Using dotnet core and vs code works pretty well for me.

For me it's LINQ, easier GUI creation (with WPF or this new win8 shit), delegates, extension methods, readable lambdas (but I think I've seen this in new Java too, not sure though), properties with getter/setter, anonymous types...
But I'm not as skilled in Java as I am in C# now.

.Net core is basically Microsoft's Xamarin (They might even use Mono for it idk).

The problem is that the "multiplatform" part is still pretty green. We just now got a decent C# IDE for Mac and Linux (Rider) and it's still on alpha.

It doesn't support Android or iOS, you still have to use Xamarin for them (which is slow as fuck and you shouldn't) and good look trying to debug it in anything but Visual Studio.

Microsoft tried for years to lock down the world on .NET and failed. Nobody is using ASP anymore, meanwhile every bank and big infrastructure company runs on top of Java.

I use both VS and VSCode.
For the people who don't use them, you could just go with some text editor though.

>GUI creation
Not a GUI person at all, but as far as making web interfaces goes there's an assload of template engines around
>LINQ
"Reactive Streams" since Java 8
>readable lambdas
Since Java 8
> properties with getter/setter
widely used Project Lombok has this
>anonymous types
Since Java 1..?

>The problem is that the "multiplatform" part is still pretty green
Bingo.

Java will reign supreme for a while longer because of this.
I posted this in the last thread that asked this question, but I'll repost it since it's relevant.

We're in the process of rewriting some of our backend services.
We discussed .NET Core and Java as possible languages for the new version, but went with Java because .NET Core for Linux was only out for the last 6 months, where the JVM has decades.

Java will remain the language of Enterprise because it offers proven stability with the JVM.

new to programming, if i were to start with C# what kind of stuff can be made with C#? i know about data types, variables, loops, etc

forgot to mention i know SQL as well

The reason why it never will is that 99% of the C# ecosystem is either closed source, paywalled, or both. That's LITERALLY it. Not that the previous M$ lockin was any attractive but mono was a thing anyway.

>every bank and big infrastructure company runs on top of Java
I know a couple of large companies that are using ASP.NET for some of their web infrastucture.

I tried dot net core some time last year, and it was a buggy mess. Unless it's improved a lot, I don't see any reason why anyone would use it over Java. It looks like they're trying to support more than just Ubuntu 14 now, at least.

>if i were to start with C# what kind of stuff can be made with C#?
Literally anything, as with any other modern language.

Is c# a good language to learn if you have never programed before

>Xamarin
>slow as fuck
Xamarin is faster than Dalvik.

Learn Python.

no, C# is really confusing to work with if you aren't already a good programmer. You have to deal with Object oriented shit if you want to get anything done. there are also a lot of crazy language features.

Second that.
Also naming conventions in C# are pretty annoying.
Like UpperCamelCase for methods. That seems little but overtime it really is insufferable.
Now though when I did some C# Rider was in very early EAP and broke every 10 seconds, so I had to use VS and the broken IntelliSense crap. Maybe if Rider gets to IntelliJ IDEA level than I'm interested.

I'll admit though, while the names in C# are much longer, they are much more self explanatory. I don't like typing them out either, but I can sure remember them better.

c# is a better language
jvm is still the better platform

C#/JVM WHEN?

I use Java but I really dislike how you can't do unsigned values with it.

If you have a deathwish that is.
Python will not teach him anything but to be lazy.
Learn C++/C if you want to actually understand things, Java/C# if you don't really give a fuck

>I don't like typing them out
it is almost like you don't know what tab completion is.
laughinggirls.jpg

Nope. Java has the most FLOSS libraries, strong community and way too many legacy systems.
I think that the only language that can surpass it is javascript.

>caring about "muh sikrit klub" sperglords

It's a while lot better to work with for scripting in unity. Love c# hate that broken mess that is Java

>report a bug to oracle
>solved: don't use that feature
>marked as: nofix

Can you elaborate what happened?

It's about even in popularity in Australia. And .NET as a whole is more popular (ASP.NET places it far more popular than Java).

>but C# is easily the best "easy" language at the moment.
No. It's way behind C, JS, Golang, and Python, and those are all easy languages.