Got my first software dev job

Any tips? Advice? Its at a cloud computing company.

I just turned 30 and have worked ~4 months (probationary period at a call center) in my life and have never officially been hired anywhere. So I absolutely definitely do not want to fuck this up.

install gentoo

they expect 80 hour workweeks, glhf

Install gentoo

Just be personable and accommodating, for goodness' sake. It's not rocket science. If you don't know how to do something, try and look it up, then ask your line manager, emphasising what you've already tried. "Give me solutions not problems", etc.

wear clothes

Read Christopher Duncan's "The Career Programmer" if you want to get a feel for the kind of shit you will see in IT.
>inb4shill

Also, this: Nobody likes a Debbie Downer, but you are going to have to fake it with people who software is magic and expect you to automate them out of a job while letting them collect a paycheck.

I don't think I would've gotten the job if I wasent somewhat personable anons. I really had to do well in the interview and in the programming challenge to make up for the fact ive got zero references and effectively haven't worked before.

Bought a bunch of stuff today. I asked about the dresscode and was told "smart casual".

What the fuck have you been doing all your life?

Source is camgirl monimusume aka chey pitts. She lost a bunch of weight and is gross skeletor now.

How'd you get an interview in the first place?

bangin your mom

Mooching off the bank of mom & dad, then mooching off the benefits system. Being a loser basically.

Really? Proof of skeletor

I worked on my portfolio, built a few websites, fucked around with a few different techs. Put together a decent CV.

Got any tips for someone also getting on in years and getting into tech late? What sort of things did you put in your portfolio, and what kinds of websites?

Can i have a whiff of your stinky tits?

Is this a real doll?

Good job OP. Hope it works out for you.

I'm in the same position (minus the job). 24 and still no programming job.

Just persevere user. If you enjoy what you do then you'll get hired eventually. Im no maths wiz or python god or anything. I started coding at ~24 finished my degree at 29 and jobhunted for a year before anyone would hire me. Having no references and having effectively never worked meant some companies wouldn't hire me no matter what but thats okay, its interview practice!. Do something enough and eventually you'll get better at it.

My portfolio has this:
- Nutrition tracking website (final years project), it uses vue.js/JavaScript on the frontend and Java on the back. Its not an SPA or anything, the frontend code is horriffic but the site looks nice and it works.
- A chrome extension to refresh all tabs (easy as piss)
- A shooter game I made for a uni assignment with Java's graphics API. It looks like it was drawn in paint and barely worked. I polished the code, added some features and dumped it on my portfolio.
- A countdown solver website. It solves the countdown letters and numbers games, numbers game is a bitch to code. I used .NET Core and React.js for this. Its just 1 page though so luckily I didn't have to fuck about with all that Single Page App bollocks.

So in short....
- code a bunch of stuff
- code well (comments where needed, commit comments too)
- be able to put up a website
- be able to use a relational database (if you can use one you can pretty much use them all they don't differ much for a beginner as far as I can tell)
- have a nice looking portfolio, use a bootstrap template, making one yourself from scratch isn't such a good plan unless you're a CSS wizard etc, just take a free template and modify, throw in some animations with animate.css (easy as fuck way to make an animation on a webpage)

Cheers, me too :D

>Monimusume
you are welcome

stop drinking mountain dew from the can stp owearing low cut tops where your makeup more professionally and let your5 netural haircolor come in again right now you look silly

post ure portfolio

>30, never officially been hired
You've given me hope, I'm 21 with fuck all from school and a single saturday job fixing bikes (actually ended up just getting their coffee)
I've spent this last year looking at being a web dev
Thanks OP

Who are you talking to

me

holy...

Thanks. I'm a little uneasy about not getting hired for a while, and I've only got a small github I've pushed some small time assignments on, but now that I've graduated I've got plenty of free time to polish and build up a more substantial portfolio.

Did you use any online guides or tools beyond your college course materials? While my school gave me a pretty solid grounding in hard cs, the software, webdev, and database stuff was pretty barebones or outdated, so I'm building on what I already know with online guides to Javascript and its libraries, web deployment, etc.

Pace yourself and take breaks, don't burn out.

Keep your skillset up to date in case you need to bail. Also don't forget to put some money away for savings in case you get fired.

I was the opposite, only did one module on CS stuff (but it was damn useful), spent most of my time with Java and learning OOP etc.

I did some courses on codecademy, the javascript/jQuery/CSS/HTML. Im currently going through the Ruby and RoR course as its been mentioned that ill work with them. I also bought a book called "Sams Teach Yourself C# in 24 Hours" after I graduated and had trouble getting hired. I already knew Java so it wasent a huge leap.

Apart from that I basically just used google to find out anything I didn't know. Stack overflow is invaluable, same with w3schools. Various posts by various people on forums as well, coderanch came up a lot. Even if you do know something if its been a while since you last did it there may be a newer/better way of doing it so googling never hurts.

One of the biggest pain in the balls was figuring out web deployment. Here I have my .war file (finished website), now the fuck do I put it online. I found no fast easy guide for this, it was basically trial and error and google.

Looked around some image results and wasn't seeing skeletor. Got a good pic to show it? I find it semi-amusing to see these crash and burns.

not that user but this one is pretty recent I think. Also she finally has a pic w/ cum on her (but is clothed unfortunately)

She's not ~full on~ skeletor status but she's much thinner now. It's very noticeable.

what is she anyways? a jewess? her facial structure and eye color are weird as fuck

Thanks, man. I've been messing around with a RaspberryPi my brother and I set up about a year back for ad blocking, and after learning how to SSH into it and installing LAMP and Samba I feel like I'm getting close to being able to throw up a simple HTML site. I'll look into bootstrap, though I feel confident and a bit proud to try it myself. I've also amassed a huge pdf collection combining both the gentooman torrent and various finds from HumbleBundle and Library Genesis, and I think I should sit down and skim through one or two again. Somewhere along the line I lost track of reading texts for the sake of complete knowledge and just doing enough to follow directions and finish a class project.

I think it might be some mild fetal alcohol syndrome for the mouth etc + some ethnic stuff for the eyes.

Also holy shit never mind, at some point recently she really did hit FULL ON skeletor status.

Damn, too bad. In the other ones she looked great, but definitely ended up going too far.

pls iso

She has no ass anymore either. Not going to show you that, you can seek it if you dare. Have a classic pic though

what's her name?

Chesqin/Monimusume/Cheyenne Pitts. It's literally on the picture above your post. Also you should be able to reverse search any of those pictures easily.

damn that's bad