/sqt/ - stupid question thread

previous thread : Post your stupid question here. Use a search engine before.

my question: why?
pic1

Other urls found in this thread:

icecast.org/faq/
wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WDN4800
github.com/willsALMANJ/pentadactyl-signed
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pic2

alright i plugged my pentium back in and it werks so the bios isnt fucked
it says specifically on the gigabyte website that my bios revision supports the cpu im swapping in (a q8200) but it's acting like how it was before i applied the bios update (random freezes)

Should I let windows 10 'optimize' my SSDs?

no

windows 10 trims SSDs, doesn't defrag

Why do hard drives and usb's don't advertise their space accurately? Why does 250GB = 233GB?

USB whats?

ur mum lmao

They do. 250 GB is 233 GiB. If you knew how to read units you wouldn't have been rused.

So why not just advertise it as 233GB?

Because it's 250 GB

Are hard drives marketed as NAS a meme, or would it be in my best interest to actually get one of those?

Google chrome is based on chromium
You have chromium v52 and Google chrome v39

They can have some beneficial firmware tweaks

This
Also, formatted space
While the total space in the drive could be 250gb, you would still have less storage available after formatting the drive

I don't have Google Chrome at all, that's the joke.

Trying to compile Firefox Nightly for Android but I'm not sure how to do it. I get the following error message:
0:05.55 DEBUG: Executing: `/usr/bin/rustc --crate-type staticlib --target=armv7-linux-androideabi -o /tmp/conftest6gnY1n.rlib /tmp/conftestcuwg5V.rs`
0:05.55 DEBUG: The command returned non-zero exit status 101.
0:05.55 DEBUG: Its error output was:
0:05.55 DEBUG: | error[E0463]: can't find crate for `std`
0:05.55 DEBUG: |
0:05.55 DEBUG: | error: aborting due to previous error
0:05.55 DEBUG: |
0:05.55 ERROR: Cannot compile for arm-unknown-linux-androideabi with /usr/bin/rustc
0:05.55 The target may be unsupported, or you may not have
0:05.55 a rust std library for that target installed. Try:
0:05.55
0:05.55 rustup target add armv7-linux-androideabi

Google isn't being very helpful and I've obviously tried to run the command at the bottom.

Maybe you have it installed from another repo?
In the second pic you posted it clearly says Google chrome, if it was chromium it would say chromium

It can't compile for arm-unknown-linux-androideabi with /usr/bin/rustc

The target may be unsupported, or you may not have a rust std library for that target installed. Try: rustup target add armv7-linux-androideabi.

Let's say you're using Synergy.

What's the best way to get Audio on your main computer from your other computers?

Run it through a mixer or run an optical output to an optical input

Two laptops.

Like to keep the amount of hardware as minimal as possible.

Long story short: My dad went to China on a business trip and didn't use a burner phone. He came home and synced his iPhone with his Macbook Air. I'm concerned about scary Chinese malware/spyware/whatever spreading to our other PCs (including mine).

Question: In order for chinkware to actually reach our other PCs, it would have to move via the path in pic related. That's iOS (ARM) →OSX (x86) →Linksys WRT1900 firmware (ARM) →Windows/Linux (x86). Realistically, is that kind of OS/firmware and CPU architecture hopping even possible?

just so you guys know, i fucked up and now my computer is booting from my usb drive

even though i also have an HDD

with an ATX board

its fucking weird

no

I'd like to only connect to the internet through a sandboxed environment.

What is the best way to do that with performance in mind?

How do I change theme of Transmission GTK? I started digging into dark themes and Transmission is the only software causing my eyes to bleed.

qubes os

Windows 7

Virtualbox and a Linux distribution

icecast.org/faq/
This has potential. You setup a streaming server with that and then you use a client to listen, which if there is not one provided VLC is likely the next best candidate.

>>icecast.org/faq/
>This has potential. You setup a streaming server with that and then you use a client to listen, which if there is not one provided VLC is likely the next best candidate.
Ooo not a bad idea, lag should be minimal too if you do it over network.

I have virtualbox already set up and it does not run well enough for me to use it. Is there anything better? I'd like as close to desktop performance as possible.

First of all, the malware wouldn't be able to get past the macbook, there is a 99.99% chance it's a windows malware and it wouldn't execute under macos

Because it's 233GiB

Isn't the point that the hard drives themselves are network capable?

Go into the BIOS and tell it to prioritise the HDD. Or the hard drive isn't bootable anymore, so just boot into a live distro and ask grub to fix it.

My question: If I work in a group of 4ish people for a university video game concepts and design course, and I contribute music to our game, do I by default retain copyrights to those assets? I'll likely be making them specifically to be used in the compilation. Would I have to slap a license on them?

VLC is a terrible idea, it has horrible latency
ffplay with nobuffer is better but there are specialized protocols for audio streaming which would probably work better.

What's the easiest and most reliable FREE as in beer software to clone a hard drive in Windows 10. Got a new hdd and if like it to replace my main.

It depends entirely on you
You have the right to apply copyright to it or not
Literally any copyright
All rights reserved, attributive, etc
If you want to apply copyright have a look at gpl and apply whichever you wamt

Ctrl+c ctrl+v

Giving the Virtualbox VM more cores may help but there's not anything that will help as well has a virtual machine.
Sandboxie is a program for Windows if you want to try that. I have not used it so I don't know how good it is

Anyone bought a Windows 10 Enterprise key of leddit?
How'd that work out for you?

>how not to clone a hard drive, an introductory guide

Manjaro user here.
Upgraded my system, and now Firefox47 won't open.

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
libicui18n.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

I could upgrade to FF50, but then I wouldn't be able to use pentadactyl, as it's an unsigned package, and iirc, I'd be forced to use gtk3, which is not ideal.

Any ideas?

I thought this was a pretty common and easy thing honestly...or is it so simple I'm obligated to get fucked with over it.

Repeat question just in case...what FREE software to clone hdd in Windows 10?

How long does it take to Validate MX records? My client has his hosting on GoDaddy and I added their MX records to the new domain that we got on a different site. I think I set it up correctly, it's been 12 or so hours but the e-mail adresses don't work yet. Do I need to do something else or just wait some more?

I would say either use acronis or make a bootable clonezilla

My wireless keyboard is acting up. Every so often now, it'll freeze up, then I hear the device disconnect sound, and it stops workimg aside from the calculator key. I can simply turn the mouse on/off, but fixing the keyboard (seemingly) requires a full reboot. If it means anything I switched from a logitech to a microsoft ergonomic keyboard about a week ago, and a few days later, that's when the problem started. No, the logitech acts the same way, I checked. I'd really appreciate some help here.

Does anyone have an email account on mail.com?
Can you open links in emails by middle clicking them without getting one of their weird "Error" pages? I have to right click and "Open in new tab...". Does this sound like a browser issue or website issue?

website

What's your opinion on my cat?

I have a GTX 660 Ti and I want to upgrade. Should I buy a second one for SLI, or buy a newer model and try to sell the old one? I'm considering a GTX 1060.

Any other opinions on this? I know and are almost certainly correct, but given the potential magnitude of the situation, I'd like to hear more input.

don't SLI

Okay, thanks senpai.

A 1060 will perform MUCH better than SLI 660s.

Yeah, I figured. Thanks.

Is there any reason (except moral) to ever use Krita over the Adobe suite?

Same reason internet speeds are advertised in Mb and not MB - deception.

I'm looking to start using linux, but my current network adaptor doesn't seem to have any linux compatible drivers and I've had no luck using ndiswrapper. Will pic related work out of the box? Haven't been able to find a clear answer

Yes, the chipset is Atheros, and it's supported by ath9k. Probably the best supported chipset manufacturer for GNU/Linux. No binary blobs on this one, even.
wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WDN4800

Install Gentoo

What do I use for basic video editing on GNU+Freedom/Linux systems?

>I could upgrade to FF50, but then I wouldn't be able to use pentadactyl, as it's an unsigned package
github.com/willsALMANJ/pentadactyl-signed

Try Kdenlive.

My RX 470 keeps losing signal to monitor randomly when I bump the desk. I know I'm not alone because there's tons of other people on google having this problem, the difference is it seems to happen to them at random points in time, while it only happens to me when I bump my desk (which is common enough to be a problem).
There is no fucking solution to it, except for rebooting.
I'm poor and I can't believe I wasted my money on this shit, Should I just kill myself? I don't know how to return items, and I'm doubtful that the replacement GPU wouldn't have this problem since it seems to be common.
Does any other RX 460/470/480/whatever have this problem? how are you dealing with it?

Btw it is not a software issue, it occurs even when sitting on the grub boot screen.

>nigger cat
dropped

Can someone post the netbook vidya guide? I remember seeing it a while back, and I could have sworn it was on the wiki, but I can't find it.

Will Micro$oft sue me if I change the login screen?

Looks fluffy and pretty. I approve.

Thoughts on my kitty?

yes

Will they $ue me if I live in Antikebabland?
If yes, can you give me Brandon face with Gino haircut?

yes
no

Did Microsoft company get their name from Bill Gates' micro and soft cock?

Wow green eyes. Almost looks unreal.

May I ask what camera you used to take this?

Is my i7 4790k good for another few years or should I sink in money and buy the new skylake hardware?

>Wow green eyes. Almost looks unreal.
They vary between looking very green, and almost completely gold/yellowy depending on the light. They were very blue when she was a little kitten. They quite green in this pic, too.

>May I ask what camera you used to take this?

Sure, it was a Canon EOS SL1. Not sure what the lens is; I inherited it from a much older Canon camera.

Is a 5% improvement worth $500 to you?

Skylake would be a terrible upgrade from Haswell. Negligible performance difference.

Anyone have a small desk for the sole purpose of a 30lb desktop resting on it? I'm having trouble looking for a very small desk.

I am getting a third monitor but my graphics card only has two outputs.

1) what exactly do you call the thing that will let me split one or whatever so I can use all three monitors?

2) will this have a negative impact on performance? My cousin said no, it would be exactly the same, unless I was running three instances of games on all monitors or something.

Look at my dog.

I have something like that. It's 18"x18"x18", and looks like a little table (has four legs, etc.).

I got it at Target about 4-5 years ago. Try searching for stands rather than tables.

Shame cause blue eyed cat sounds more unreal. But green is fine too.

>fap-free for 3 weeks
THANK YOU user 0 DAYS WITHOUT ACCIDENT NOW

VMWare

sup, Sup Forums. I work as the fucking IT boy to some shit-tier small company and I just got this 7520. it has a 32gb ssd and a 1tb hdd. since the customer somehow managed to fuck it all up I had to format it. she's a fucking 60 year old and probably can't even into disk management. I need to install the operating system on the SSD and set the HDD as the default disk for installing applications and user files. How do I do that? it's w8.1

I dropped 2 courses last year wich I had bought (((e-books))) for. Now I'm retaking those classes but the e-books will expire 1 week after my courses start. I litterally have to buy books I've once bought. Is there a way to download them? Not sure how to describe my problem any better but simply downloading the page as html will only get me one page and it won't be interactive.

Is Tiny7 a good choice if I want to run VM for those windows only applications?

Is it really pet-picture-time?

His name is Khajiit. Actually listens to it, which is really nice.

is there a 64bit version of it?

Sorry dude. Do you know the answers to my questions though?

He looks friendly!
Lol the expression

As far as I know, you're pretty much SOL. What's the publisher?

Does he have wares if I have coin?

>what exactly do you call the thing that will let me split one or whatever so I can use all three monitors?
I don't think this is possible. What's you GPU?

bls resbond

>Is it really pet-picture-time?
Sure why not.

Meet my pupper.

>His name is Khajiit.
Does he do Skooma

Swedish publisher, Natur och Kultur.

>Our goal is through support, inspiration, education and information to work for tolerance, humanism and democracy.

They litterally write HBQT, Feminism propaganda for kids and have some far left journalists on their payroll. I don't want to gibs them anymore if possible.

So Windows doesn't really handle high resolutions very well

I've currently got a 3200x1800 screen and there's visible blur, would putting down the resolution to 1920x1080 give me an accurate representation of how programs would scale if I had a 1080p screen or is it more artificial

Plz respond

depends what kind of scaling your monitor does

pic related, linear scaling is common, but point will give you a picture closer to that of a native monitor with half your screen resolution