Do you fight inaccurate technology lingo in real lfie?

Do you fight inaccurate technology lingo in real lfie?
Like when someone says "piracy" but they really mean "copyright infringement".
Like when someone says "photoshopped" but they really mean "manipulated".
How do you react?

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/google
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just react as you're supposed to. If they say piracy, then act surprised when they're not talking about somalians

Good call. Thanks.
I will do that.

>I think this image is photoshopped
>you mean... it was created in a shop that sells photos? like a photography shop?

you guys are complete social disasters

Sorry, I'm not autistic.

>implying i am a complete social disaster

yes absolutely

"i'll google it" -> "i'll look it up on a search engine"
"i have an android" -> "my device runs android OS"
"i'm streaming some youtube videos" -> "i'm downloading some youtube videos sequentially while playing them"

you're so cool
that should be a banner

people at work keep calling jboss, json, etc gboss, gson, etc

parameter becomes parameeter

pisses me off and I correct them every time

Yes, I do. I rarely talk to people thou.

I hate it when people refer to themselves in completely objective situations unless the experienced warranted the result.

>i'll google it
>i'll send a sequence of characters which are an agreed upon digital analog to english text to a server owned by the alphabet corporation which will perform complex search procedures based on this sequence of characters and finally send a sequence of characters which form a "html document" with binary sequences forming images in a common format back to me so that i can find what i am looking for on the internet - a large network of computers interacting with one another

Language was always fluent and evolving over time. If you don't accept that, it's your problem.

wow user you missed the point. "google" is not a verb, it's the name of a company. a noun. the phrase "i'll google it" makes no sense grammatically.

see

>implying google is not a verb

>all change is good
"Literally" now also means "figuratively" according to most dictionaries. There is no more semantic difference between the two.

people have been using the word "literally" like that since the 18th century user.

>literally being this retarded

Is that not exactly what streaming means?

english is a fucking joke

I don't but if anyone could post that stallman pasta where he talks of this subject I'd be grateful.

yes, he fucked that up

there is a misunderstanding in regards to streaming though, maybe he meant this;
>"i'm not downloading it, just streaming it!"

I barely talk to people, lest respond to futile mistakes with even more futile objections.

who needs education when we can just make wrong things right by altering the definition of "right"?

"Amazon", in the sense of the company, is definitely a noun. But I hear people saying that they will 'amazon' something they want to buy.

> "google" is not a verb
Except that "google" is recognized as a verb by multiple dictionaries, including the Oxford and Cambridge ones. And if you asked, the vast majority of people would see nothing incorrect with using "google" as a verb.

Language changes over time. That's why we don't speak ancient Sanskrit anymore.

I find it interesting that Photoshop had such a dominating presence early on that people never went to manipulated and jumped right to 'photoshopped' or 'shooped'. That only helped it for years to stay the definitive name in digital photo editing software. I almost feel sorry for the competition.

People used to and still sometimes say "doctored"

do you work with poo in loos?

That's true, I remember that now. However it has definitely fallen off a bit.

That's why now we use "unironically" when we mean "not-figuratively" :^)

Adobe are actively trying to fight that though. If the term photoshopping becomes commonplace, they'll lose the rights to the name in several countries. They'd be a victim of their own success like frisbee, yoyo, biro (Britfags will get this) and quite a few others.

There was a recent ruling in Norway that the term "potetgull" (literally "potato gold") was no longer a trademark because it had entered common parlance.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

I didn't mean this pasta but the one where he advices people to not use the term "photoshop" as catch all term for image manipulation.

says the guy being on 4chinks

/thread

>React as you're supposed to
>proposes an autistic reaction
?

god you fucking autists.
If you know what the meant, let it slide. It's not your job to make everything politically correct.

From his website
>Please avoid using the term “photoshop” as a verb, meaning any kind of photo manipulation or image editing in general. Photoshop is just the name of one particular image editing program, which should be avoided since it is proprietary. There are plenty of free programs for editing images, such as the GIMP.
>GIMP
>An alternative to photoshop
Lolno. Oh wait, we're not supposed to use the word alternative either.

So we should call manipulating images, "Gimping" them?

The word "alternative" is loaded with assumptions. It indirectly legitimizes non-free software.

Don't describe free software as an “alternative” to proprietary, because that word presumes all the “alternatives” are legitimate and each additional one makes users better off. In effect, it assumes that free software ought to coexist with software that does not respect users' freedom.

Regular English verbs:

to manipulate
to doctor
to forge

>In effect, it assumes that free software ought to coexist
Because god for it there are other viewpoints than his. His unreasonable hatred for the terms FOSS and FLOSS highlights this.

MFW WHEN GOOGLE IS ACTUALLY A VERB

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/google

FOOKIN REKT m8.