/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/h-moser-no-longer-swiss-made
steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-1-bronze.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fucking bastard i was about to create the thread

Thank you sempai. Was waiting for a new one.

Third for making your pupper wear a watch

ayylmao

Model? I've been looking for something just like that which isn't super expensive, and I imagine it being a seiko 5 puts it around $80?

that one is actually not a stock seiko5, some guy named stogieninja on WUS swapped the SNKL41 dial into SNKE79 case for the larger 20mm lug width, and a hirsch duke strap.

if you just like the dial and don't mind 18mm, the ordinary snkl41 should be fine for you

if you want to see all your options check watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder

just be sure to google the models if they catch your eye in any capacity, seiko's stock photos are notoriously shitty

Why do you not wear a cool watch like me?

That's a nice, sane layout, none of this 24-hour subdial horseshit a lot of Seiko quartz chronos have. What movement?

>dat Invicta-tier, barely Tudor-like Steinshit

Nth for Seagull 1963

Dunno but it looks cool.

can i play

No sorry, cats are evil (u can see it in their eyes).

Dogs are cool.

ITT: idiots who fell for the time jew

Yes, too bad your dog is too small to actually wear a watch.

Why the fuck do you have a saved picture of my cat?

My carbon-steel Higonokami arrived and I have an Opinel 8 carbone on the way. I fear knives might be the next thing I'll obsess over, after I get sick of watches.

I know there was a Douk-Douk fag here a while ago, pls respond.

Get out.

how much was it?

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

Learn how to sharpen your knives so you don't turn into the typical pocket jewelry wearing faggot on /k/ knife threads.

U're an idiot. You don't deserve the F91W. This watch belongs to real watch nerds.

$24 I believe. I didn't order the basic carbon-steel version as it didn't have an inscription on the blade, mine is made from SK steel, which is some Japanese carbon steel used for tools. Pic is exactly my version.

I am. I already have an india stone for sharpening watchmaking tools, but I think I'll get something wider.

Also the blade is laminated, just like in my Japanese animes.

If you want advice on learning to sharpen go ask in the knife general on /k/, there are a couple of people who know their shit on the subject over there.

Are you confident enough to service your own watch?

no

How many hours of study and practice on your own (on a cheap chnk watch for example) would be necessary to be able to service your own watch?

I would say a thousand hours minimum.

I chose to allocate my time differently. But if I could gain money with this (substancial money), I'd change my mind. But the dudes who service have certifications and that's why they have a jub in the first place.

>I would say a thousand hours minimum.
do you have a grande complication or what

I'm qualified actually.

>I would say a thousand hours minimum.
You would be pretty surprised at what you can accomplish in only 100 hours when you're really dedicated to it.

Even for something as complicated as a watch?

If watch repairer user passes by, I'd like to hear his take on this

If you done five entry-level three-hands+date automatic watch movements, you've done them all. The hard stuff starts with chronographs (more complex than a 7750), luxury-tier movements with exotic complications, tuning forks and when something is actually wrong with a movement. Taking apart your 7S26, Vostok 2416B or Miyota 8205, cleaning it then reassembling and oiling it is babbymode once you've done a few, they're relatively insensitive to a bit of over oiling (generally people tend to over oil instead of under). You could learn watch servicing in less time than what you waste on getting gud in a vidya.

The tricky stuff starts when something is wrong, even with a timegrapher fault detection could take a few days to figure out.

t. watch repair user.

Pic unrelated, it will be a few more years before I'll be allowed to open a customers Omega.

God the bezel on the Seamaster is terrible. Only bad thing about the watch really.

Bitchwrist coming through.

My boys, good to meet you

H. Moser is pretty based.

hodinkee.com/articles/h-moser-no-longer-swiss-made

My shitty Vostok? Sure.
My actual decent watches? Nope. No way. Nu-uh.

Cats are bad pets for bad people.

Best watch for male with very small wrist with either rose gold color or black color for 350 or under? Budget slightly flexible. Live in the us btw

that fake apple watch thing was so pitiful

Keep in mind that a 300 dollar 'gold' watch may start to look bad as the gold rubs off. And a 300 black pvd watch will also start to look bad when the finish starts coming off.

If i were to wait and save up more for a good watch in those colors what would my budget have to e?

I found it pretty hilarious.
It was quite obvious done to take the piss out of Apple.

If you want a watch with actual rose gold?
A lot.

steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-1-bronze.html

It's almost in your budget and looks totally gold

>rose gold and black
Literally the tastes of my sister.

I might save up for this

Fuck that is ugly.

it was quite obviously done to call attention to their shitty brand.

>shitty
Literally of higher quality than any of your watches.

the quality of the brand is lower than that of the shit I had earlier.
they do have some nice watches.

Bambino if your wrists aren't too small.

Just checked the time on this baby from when I wore it last Friday, at +2 seconds.

some fucker on /k/ gets a mirror edge on his spydercos

You too, bud.

You don't say...

How to pronounce "Seiko"?

>Seyko
>sehhh-iiiihhko

first one sounds better

Japanese is phonetic user. Just pronounce it like せいこう/セイコー。
If you want to be more autistic you could say 精工舎。

Say-koh

Holy fuck. I bet the cunt gets a clean shave with that thing.

Their wireclips are so much nicer. I love my ukpk for edc. Probably going to pick up the leaf blade in s110v when it comes out.

I know this is not the right place to ask, but I never got to /k/, so opinions on this?

New penis quartz owner here, looking for some advice, hope someone can help.

How do you adjust the length of this bracelet? I'd normally start prying on anything I can see, but the links are small, and could bend.

>Gerber

On the left side you see a little gab between the bracelet and the clasp. Stick something in there and lift upwards.

Thanks buddeh!

can you watch tv on that

No problem, bud.

Definitely not in the dark, as I just found out.

Do it (almost) daily. Doing my first chrono atm, has a broken balance and anchor pivot. Currently waiting on Some Parts that were too rusted or broken.

Looking to get my friend a watch with a budget of around $50. Right now the Timex Ameritus seems like a top contender. Any recommendations for something similar in the price range?

>1500+500+16
>not wearing a watch made with dinosaur's DNA and shit.
Why Sup Forums??
It's like you don't even like watches.

garbage.

>Fossil
I don't wear dogshit.

Kek

My Alpinist. Lovely watch.

that IS nice.
does the crown at 4 lock/release the compass, or something?

fuck you

Yea it turns the inner bezel. It does not screw down or lock though. Kind of a shame but not a deal breaker.

How small do your wrists need to be to make that look huge?

why are all y'all fagets so obsessed with the size of someone else's wrist?

Because he has autism.

compass is just to tell direction by the sun, not an actual compass

opinions on the Seiko Recraft series?
some of them look nice, but they're pretty inexpensive. i suspect the QC may not be that great

They don't look nice.

Yeah that case is fucking huge/awful.

Nope.

>tell direction
A.K.A. a compass.

The Ellen Ripley watch from Aliens. Choice!

Underrated post.

>an instrument containing a magnetized pointer that shows the direction of magnetic north and bearings from it.
^^^that's what I meant smart fuck lol

Yeah, you unlock it (voids the warranty), you can watch HBO on that shit!

Japanese pronunciation is normally quite straightforward, it is the grammar that is sheer murder.

Among the very few exceptions is "ei" which is normally pronounced as a long "e", that is "ē".

>A compass is an instrument used for navigation and orientation that shows direction relative to the geographic "cardinal directions", or "points".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass

What you meant was a magnetic compass.

Yes it is...

Hnnng