/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for the i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
amazon.com/ASUS-G20CB-WB71-GTX1080-Performance-Tower-Desktop/dp/B01K1JW796/
pcpartpicker.com/list/hsDdGf
logicalincrements.com/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112444
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112464
pcpartpicker.com/list/3JbHqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/jqD2WX
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/NCbjXL
pcpartpicker.com/list/BRvQcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/H2xvD8
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/Fjyf7P
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YwCQKZ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/mDTfxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Which is the most quiet and cool running rx 470/480?

>pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
To anyone considering one of those builds. Do NOT fall for this. None of those builds are good. OP is just being a retard for repeatedly including this shit.
Pic highly related.

Pic related is my current build. However, I've started going into video editing lately as well as streaming. My pc is mostly ok for this, but could be a bit better, as well as future-proofing it a bit more. Therefore I thought about upgrading the following

>CPU to i7-6700k+Noctua NH-D14 HSF
>Motherboard to MSI Z170A GAMING M5
>RAM to Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000 C15
>PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2

Should or shouldn't do?

No actual evidence but considering the layout of the HSF that would probably be the MSI Gaming X and the Asus Strix. Just stay away from PowerColor and Gigabyte, the PCBs are trash.

Is it retarded to buy GTX 1050 Ti on a i5-6500. Or am i retarded instead?

no, it's ok

An i3-6100 or 6300 would be a better pairing, since 1050 Ti is more of a entry or budget type of card. But if you need four actual cores, that's alright. The i5-6400 would have been cheaper, but not worth it due to its slower clock frequencies.

Tell me if this is good

Motherboard MSI B150 GAMING M3
Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz 6MB Sk1151
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WF OC 6GB
Crucial 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4-2400MHz Single Ranked RAM x2
Cooler CPU Cooler Master Hyper103
Nox NX 650W Power Suply
SSD Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB
3.5" Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM 64MB SATA III
ATX Nox Hummer ZS Zero Edition Case
Nox CoolFan 120mm LED Red 1200RPM

Is this decent? What do i change?

I picked all the parts from a site in my country.

i3-4170
1050ti
8gb ddr3

>Is this decent?
This is absolutely disgusting.
>What do i change?
Everything. See logicalincrements.com for starters.

Is it just me or this actually not retardedly priced?

amazon.com/ASUS-G20CB-WB71-GTX1080-Performance-Tower-Desktop/dp/B01K1JW796/

Seriously considering going with this and just swapping over building a desktop myself

pcpartpicker.com/list/hsDdGf
>only cost like $250 with huge cyber monday discounts
>quiet, efficient, cozy aio box

Anyone figure I can stick a MSI 1070 Frozr in there and get away with it.

Maybe use 80mm fans.

If you can fit an H100i in there, you should be able to fit a TwinFrozer in there.

Hey guys, console player here who wants to start gaming on a PC but I'm new to building a PC so I'm not really sure where to start. Realistically, would I be able to get by with a ~750 dollar build that'll run games like Overwatch, CS:GO, and other games at medium/high settings. Do you guys have any tips on what parts I should look into, as I literally only know about good graphics cards and processors.

No clearance at the top for pcie

I'm hoping the EVGA powerlink might help with that

>Biostar
Disgusting. But suprisingly good build, especially for 250 bucks.

> Do you guys have any tips on what parts I should look into
Reading the fucking OP for once won't hurt you..

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

Sure LI is not always up-to-date and the list are far from being a gold standard, but it gives you a good general idea.
Also, if you have no idea about compurers, you should either invest time and do your research, or stick with a pre-built system.
There's no shame in getting such a system if you have no time/motivation to learn all the how-to's and so on.

>ty; mfw repeating terminal digits confirm
^And, I'll be quite honest here: this machine *flies* compared to anything else I've built for myself (but it's the first machine I've built for personal use in the better part of a decade); I'm strongly considering building a few more similar (but even more lower-powered/cheaper) ITX tinyboxes for sale after the new year (if I can find cheap DDR3 when SSD prices return to normal).

Is Xeon the best CPU family currently available for servers? What's a good low tier Xeon that I could potentially run silently/passive cooled?

Sole bump. From what I can tell this is all compatible and should work, but I'm an absolute retard when it comes to hardware.

Around how much thermal paste do you usually apply to a CPU?

Itty bitty blob, smaller than a normal GMO pea size
Unless you have some absurdly big CPU, then there's probably a manual

CPU, RAM and PSU are fine, try to find the G3 though. It should be no more than 20 bucks more expensive, but it's worth it.
The MSI (((GAMING))) mobo is pure meme, don't. Get something like Asus Z170-A, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 or Asus Pro Gaming (only worthwile mobo with that meme name tag).
The Noctua fan is good, but unless you're going to torture your CPU you won't need it. Noctua NH-U14S is smaller, cheaper and also very good.
Note that there can be some problem with Corsair LPX RAM, Z170 mobos and XMP profiles. If may be that you have to OC the RAM manually, otherwise avoid Corsair and get G.Skill Ripjaws V.

Yes? No? Alternative? My desk isn't super big but I have my desktop up there anyway. The constant buzzing sound isn't so bad if I have headphones in but when I'm not in the mood for music it can get rather annoying. I don't even overclock but I'm considering replacing my cpu stock fan for something quieter. I makes a high pitch whine under full load.

MSI is the "meme name tag" that indicates that it's shit if you're talking about motherboards. "Gaming" just indicates that it's expensive, and Jewish mobo manufacturers (especially asus and gigabyte) like to save a few real advantages for their "gaming" stuff
And the ram incompatibility issue isn't just Vengeance ram, look on the motherboards website, see if there's a list of compatible ram models, g skill usually works in xmp fine (so does vengeance ram, more often than g skill in my case) but it didn't for me (had to update bios to get it working)

So yeah, I'm looking for the quietest cpu fan for the performance. 157mm maximum height.
Also some ideas for dampening the sound.

I was tempted to try and make a lian li thread but figured fuck it, lets just discuss it here.

They have some absolutely incredible cases. Pic related is $120 and is gorgeous, I'm about to order it on impulse right now.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112444

They also have the best looking SFF case ever but it's like $250.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112464

Why isn't lian li taking on the mainstream case market? They were/are the enthusiast case of choice but they let nzxt and fucking god forbid CORSAIR(vomit) take all the sales from the explosion of PC gaming. Back in 2006 when I started lurking here all the cool kids had lian li

>look on the motherboards website, see if there's a list of compatible ram models
Unfortunately this is not reliable anymore. For example, the UD3 has the LPX RAM listed on it's officially supported RAM list, but there are reports for the 3000 issue.
On Corsairs site you find the reason, the RAM is primarily designed for usage on X99 mobos. Manual OC works fine, but XMP might not work.
This is not the case with G.Skill Ripjaws V and Trident Z, both are officially supported on Z170 mobos by G.Skill.

>g skill usually works in xmp fine
This is why i recommended it. Only problem with G.Skill is their disgusting heatspreadder design which makes the RAM incompatible with so many coolers.

Really enables your shekles counting axions in your central nervous system.

bump

Replaced the MSI with ASUS and also replaced the fan. Can't find the G3 though.

As for the RAM, I found this on the compatibility list off the Asus manual.

>Why isn't lian li taking on the mainstream case market?
>not enough LEDs
>no window-kit
>no cancerous (((GAMING))) marketing

>Corsair Dominator Platinum
Jesus Christ, do NOT buy that. Get Ripjaws 5 or Trident Z, Both should be on the list, don't forget to check it on the manufacturers sites.

But like I said, g skill didn't work for me, it's not a brand vs brand thing, it's a case by case basis where any specific model, speed or channel config of ram you have might not OC

pcpartpicker.com/list/3JbHqk

I replaced the case with a better one and added Windows 8 64 bit. Is this a good build for ps2 emulation or playing kerbal space program?

Welp, this is it then.
>G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
Is on the compatibility list (F4-3000C15Q-16GRR)

So I might as well go for the g skill then since it seems to be a bit "random" according to you.

One should think that by almost 2017 things like especially RAM should be so far standardized that such issues and incompatibilities don't occure..
But that would be to easy, wouldn't it?

Also here was an update for my bios including "better ddr compatibility" that fixed it for me
If it doesn't work I'm sure you could rma it for another model of 3000mhz, they all perform the same anyways

Yeah get better fans. You can also use noise dampening for automobiles (dynamat and friends) or bedliner. Really anything dense and sticky will do, even some roofing stuff at your local hardware store might work.

>tfw the build i've been putting together is the same price and is actually LESS powerful then that

pcpartpicker.com/list/jqD2WX

Should I just return the parts and go with that instead? I'm also going between two different apartments at the moment so that would be a lot easier to transport around as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. The NZXT 240mm (X52) is too tall though, but the Enermax 240mm seems just about right at 27mm.

I think I'll consider getting the Corsair H115i (AKA H110i GTX) 280mm instead though, as the case supports 280mm rads and it's 26mm high, giving more room for the motherboard power connector.

Pic related, it's the H115i in a Corsair Obsidian 350D, so at least it looks like it fits perfectly.

nice video game consoles

(You)

just wait until Zen Naples comes out, especially if it exposes all combined 8 DDR4 channels and 128 PCIe lanes.

How'd I do:

- MSI B150M Mortar
- i3 6100
- Radeon RX 460 2GB
- HyperX Fury Black DDR4 2133MHz 8GB
- Corsair CX 450M
- 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue
- Corsair Spec M2 case
- Logitech G300s mouse
- chink keyboard
- used HP 2159m monitor

Behold, the anally annihilated. What's wrong, friend?

It's fine. Really should go with the GTX 1050 at the 2GB level. Try to save up for the RX 470 and a 240GB SSD

Forgot your gfx card.

>external hueg bays

You can easily run those games at high FPS and and ultra settings with low end parts.
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/NCbjXL ~750USD
Check Overwatch benchmarks to see how the CPU and gfx stack up.

It's a great skeleton build (you may want a different case or a 3GB or 6GB 1060), but for meme games like Overwatch it's slightly overkill. It'll last you a long time and let you play modern AAA titles easily, and you can upgrade the CPU to an unlocked i7 somewhere down the line if you want to. If you know that you'll never overclock, just pick the other i5 6500 build from the pcbg pcpartpicker for slight savings.

Don't buy Haswell new. The 1050Ti is a prebuilt card.

Didn't you already post? Either get a cooler for the 6600 to maintain the boost clock or drop to i5 6500

i5 6500 is good if you get mid range card like 470/480/1060. If you're sticking with the 1050Ti get an i3 6100

With a 1080, your immediate need is a good monitor. Having a 1080 with 1080p 60Hz monitors is just embarrassing.
If streaming, get an i7 3770
You're looking at $800

What 3000 speed 16gig ram should I get? I'm looking for something around 100$

Friends first pc build how does it look?
I am giving him my old case Corsair Air 240.

pcpartpicker.com/list/BRvQcc

Get the i5 6500

Any will do

buddy from work wants to get into pc gaming and has ~$800 budget. he went to microcenter alone yesterday (against my advice) and some jew working there fast-talk hustled him into buying a jerrys kid rig with an fx8350 and rx 460 and 16gb ram and some $80 microsoft mouse/keyboard bundle. buddy says he cant even max overwatch on this machine. I'm gonna go with him tomorrow to return everything except the HDD, but I haven't been into pc gaming for years and even then I always asked Sup Forums because Im a lazy faggot. whats the best possible build he can make for that money? also what are some good ways (on the technical side) I can tell the salesman how much of a stupid faggot jew he is?

Really good user, the only thing I would have done different is shelled out for the EVGA 600w psu

updated version of pcpartpicker.com/list/H2xvD8

Start here

logicalincrements.com/

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/NCbjXL
Have to add in the cost of the RAM. Can get a better case and a slightly better gfx card with the remaining money

I'm going to build a Zen+Vega machine as soon as it's released, should I go for water cooling?

we're ditching the ssd since it's not necessary.

why such an expensive mobo? I've seen similarly budgeted builds using like $50-80
why not a gtx 1070 8gb or some other beastmode card when his budget is so (relatively) big?

also I typod, meant ~$900 not 800. he went in looking to spend 1000 and also ended up buying windows for 100 bucks and already used the key and everything so he's stuck with it now.

meant to reply to

>I'm going to build a Zen+Vega machine
Wait for benchmarks / arch analysis

>should I go for water cooling?
Only if you're going mini-ITX

>we're ditching the ssd since it's not necessary.
No offense, but you're a retard.

>why such an expensive mobo?
Can upgrade to an unlocked CPU later and can use fast RAM in the meantime. You can get a B150 mobo but you'll be limited to locked CPUs and slow RAM.

Getting a GTX1070 will put you here at min, well over the original 800USD budget. At 900USD you're closer
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/Fjyf7P
The 1070 is a 1440p card

>limited to locked CPUs
What I meant to say is that while you could technically install and use an unlocked CPU, you can't OC on a B150 board

I currently have a an i5 6600k and a 970.
I have the cash to upgrade to either an i7 6700k or a 1070.
Which would be the better purchase?

1440p Gsync >100Hz HDR OLED monitor + 1070 or bust

Is there anything wrong with this?

No SSD, and you have to inject the USB3 drivers into Win7 if you want to install over USB

Is the Crucial mx300 a good SSD?

whats wrong with no ssd if you dont give a fuck about load times or longevity

when you experience the difference an SSD makes you will give a fuck about the load times

>I don't value my time at all

Shit adds up you know

will there be a price drop in the gtx 10xx series gpus within the next month or two?

It depends. If you're a gaymer like 99% of this general, then the 1070. If you need the computer for rendering, virtual machining, advanced 3d modelling etcetera, get the i7.

Yeah they're fine though Sup Forums will probably tell you that anything other than an Samsung 850 Pro is shit.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YwCQKZ
Already got the 6600k, just about to place the order for everything else now. I'm pretty confident in everything, I'll get a hdd further down the road but I like to run a clean computer so probably not for a while.
What case should I get? I don't want to spend any more than a hundred bucks for one with a window that will fit everything, anyone got any experiences with cases to speak of?
Pic for attention

Wrong.
Everything except for a Samsung 960 Pro is shit.
Any SSD is many times better than no SSD, but you largely get what you pay for with SSDs. More expensive SSDs aren't memes, the performance increase per dollar is largely linear up to the stupid expensive ones.

Meant to (You)

Gaming is the most intensive use of my pc, yes.
The only reason I ask really is because I've heard that new games are getting more CPU intensive and actually taking advantage of hyperthreading. I plan to stick with my current 1080p monitor for the immediate future, so if there's any risk of the i5 becoming a bottleneck, I'll just save my money and upgrade both later. Maybe that's all a meme though, idk.

the i5 6600k is a very good cpu for gaming, it wouldn't even bottleneck a 1080 or a titan in most games. A 6600k won't bottleneck a 1080p monitor, either. Get the 1070.

Maybe the 1080
I guarantee nothing else will go below MSRP for at least 3 years unless vega is VERY competitively priced

The 850 pro is shit, the 950 pro is an old meme now that the 960 pro exists

thanks trips dude
guess i'll see if i can save a couple bucks on boxing day, if not then so be it

The 6600k kicks ass, and the 6700k is the exact same CPU but with hyperthreading. If your program uses hyperthreading (many rendering, editing, and modeling programs do), a 6700k will help. If your program does not support hyperthreading, the 6600k is the same as a 6700k. Replacing an already new CPU is retarded, the 6600k will be a great contender for years and years to come
A 1070 would be cool but at 1080p, you're not utilizing it fully.

Stop using bottleneck if you don't know what it means

thanks for the (You) matey
Here's a (You) in return

>recommending a 960 pro
>using an nvme ssd for OS and muh games
>most motherboards put the slot right under the gpu
>960 doesn't come with heatsinks

Bought a 250GB 750 EVO and couldn't be happier. Fucking memers on this board are ridiculous.

>t. fucking poorfag trying to justify his pathetic lack of disposable income
c-couldn't be happier w-with my subpar ssd g-guys haha....

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/mDTfxY

>fucking poorfag
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2
2 Noctua NF-S12A's
120GB Kingston SSD
2TB Seagate SSD
MSI Z170M MORTAR
Intel i7-6700k
MSI STRIX 1070
Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000hz
Corsair 450M Bronze Power Supply

First build, don't roast

>Corsair case
>120GB SD KINGSTON HOWLING
>MSI Z170
>i7
>MSI 1070
>Hyper 212
>Corsair PSU

try again

I'm confused, did I fuck up on the formatting? I've only been here a few days, my bad

EVGA G2 or Seasonic KM/3?

post budget

$1750 CAD, ended up $20 underneath

CPU load does not increase with resolution, only framerate.

Need a higher CFM cooler for a substantial OC
Get 3000MHz RAM
1440p monitor

Better PSU
250GB SSD

Can somebody tell me what case that is?

Looks like a coolermaster mini itx bench case / cube

What are the bonuses of getting a bigger SSD and PSU?

You can run an OC'd i7 + a 300W gfx card or mGPU
You want your games on the SSD as well. 120GB is cramped

Using PC for gaming, hoping to play new releases on maximum settings

Budget around 1k or slightly more (1500 absolute max), pic related current working build

Thinking about reusing my old case that has a built in PSU, not sure if it would support my parts though

>Rosewill TU-155 II 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 500W Power Supply

Case related

Also would playing in 4k be feasible with this build? If not what should I change?