Staples is the biggest scam joint I've ever seen...

Staples is the biggest scam joint I've ever seen. I am a new employee here and I am learning to do "easy tech" stuff and that means people bring in their laptops, mostly old people and they need virus scans because its running slow. It's like 200 fucking dollars to do a "diagnostic exam" on it and put a virus scan on it. Some old dude today who was a veteran came in and ended up paying the 200 bucks and I was holding my tongue so hard not tell him not to do it. He coulda came to my house and I would have done it for free. How do you get over the morals you have, and the personal value in order to increase performance and sales of a business?

Bump

>How do you get over the morals you have, and the personal value in order to increase performance and sales of a business?

That sweet paycheck.

If you have to have a sales job then sell something worthwhile

I work for canada computers, and i feel the same way. Except we charge 100$ for virus removal

>He coulda came to my house and I would have done it for free.
That's a lie and you know it.

lmao why the fuck would increase the sales of a business you don't own. that's just being a cuck, and what's going to be the payoff? So you can earn a dollar an hour more as a manager? Which they won't do, instead they'll hire some random faggot with an MBA to be manager.
They can go fuck themsevles.
Just keep your head down and do the bare minimum until you find something better.

Business is not a hugbox, it's a compromise between two parties who have something the other wants. Morality is not a part of the process, or at least to the extent of basic right and wrong (no transactions done against someone's will at time of sale, no absolute falsehoods, etc.)

Welcome to the real world. You wouldn't have your $7.25/hr job if your company wasn't overcharging for the most basic of goods and services.

Office max (owned by office depot) is the same way. I worked there for 7 months and we had to do the same shit. The worst part is we would charge $50 for a data recovery, basically pulling the HDD, plugging it into a PC and transferring the files to a flash drive. Not only is that a ripoff to the customer, but the employee who does 100% of the work sees none of the money that the customer paid.

>why the fuck would increase the sales of a business you don't own
So you don't lose your job, unfortunately. Unfortunately not everyone has the financial means to own their own business

Office Depot employee here,
One of the stores in California got done in for using our "PC tuneup" software to con people out of hundreds of dollars.

Basically, instead of doing any actual diagnostics, the software just expects the technician to ask the customer a series of questions and manually hit checkboxes in order to perform various "services", after which the software spits out a SKU to use when ringing the customer up. Of course there is no training or company literature on the program and its use so some people probably just hit all the checkboxes and charged people over $200 to delete their temp folders.

Because of this bullshit, I had to stand by while my manager turned away an old man who just did a Win10 upgrade on his Win7 HP laptop and only needed someone to enter the bios and disable secure boot so the installer would finish. The store missed out on at least $60 in service dollars thanks to some technologically malicious idiots, but I made sure the guy's computer got fixed as soon as that manager had a day off. I was able to do it for free as well since it was a customer service issue and he tipped me $15.

Office supply stores doing computer work generally have criminally undertrained technicians, who are really just sales people given permission to wield a screwdriver. I have heard stories of the aggressive tactics used at my local Staples, and try to give people advice and do as much as I can for free. I've helped customers find safe places to get software online, suggested Free Software as replacements for programs my store does and does not carry (thank you for making every image editing conversation awkward, GIMP), and try to show people things they can do to maintain their computers themselves, which is easier now thanks to Win10's built-in reinstall sequence.
People are going to come into the store to buy shit anyway, aggressive sales tactics and milking unwary customers out of hundreds of dollars is only going to drive people away.

>letting your impotent "morals" cloud your thought while on the job

This is why you still work there.

Charge the idiots full-price. It's their penance for not learning how to use the most basic functions of a computer, and that is the premium they must pay.

You absolutely do not want to have the liability to personally service people's computers at a discount or even for free. Nobody learns anything when you fix their computer, and they'll only blame future problems on you, rather than a faceless company.

Office depot is the same shit, user. You get used to the fact that old people will get scammed. The best thing I can tell you to do is don't push the sales. If someone comes in and the really need help, charge them, but give them additional services free. Help the customer and make yourself feel better by giving them the least amount of charges possible without getting fired. A lot of people that work in the retail industry lie and have no problem doing so, if you don't try to help them, someone else will and I'm sure they'll make it a lot more painful. Good luck OP.

>Charging $100 for something that could be free is wrong
Then start your own business, doing the same job, and only charge $30. Everyone will come to you to save money, and you will get rich, and Staples will be forced to lower their prices to compete. This is how capitalism works.

I've done that, start new job in 2017

What morals? People pay for the technical expertise that they do not have themselves. I charge a lot of money for my work as well. Anyone could spend the time to learn and do it, but it is worth enough to pay me to do it instead.

That sweet 7.50 an hour

if in the short time that you talked to he already told you that he's a veteran then you shouldn't feel too bad.

>Morales you have
You said it yourself, these motherfuckers need to run a virus scan and do PC basics. Of you cant do those basics, do not own a PC.

Capitalism is controlled by the kikes

This is why I quit working for Office Max.

Our "Virus Checker" created fake false positives all the time, every time.

>liability
Not to mmention that staples could use OP for selling a service for cheaper I their facility without staples permission.

I charge 30€/H and 1 hour is my minimum work time at all times.

Do remember that as Technicians or Engineers our time and experience is worth money.
Since people are inept at keeping their own devices working we work them for em, because the SHIT we think is trivial isn't so trivial for THEM.

To put it into perspective if you go to your personal doctor because you prefer him over your public service one you'd gladly pay 30-80$ for consultation services.

He had on the hat you get for being in vietnam

well on the up side i'm sure he's used to getting shit on as a vietnam vet.

A couple years back I put up hand written signs at grocery stores and other public billboards. Offered to virus scan and search for rootkits & other signs of hacker activities, plus defrag and other basic maintenance. $50 cash, you bring your PC or laptop to me, I have it for three days, you pick it up.

In my bedroom I had five older PCs with virus scanners and other basic maintenance. Would pull whatever drive(s) they had in their systems and connect them by eSATA ports and scan the fuck out of them for 24-36 hours; include a defrag or other bullshit as time permitted. Wrote up a one-page waiver of liability contract and non-disclosure agreement (with a couple critical loopholes for me to protect against terrorists and pedos). Shit breaks, which was rare, I blamed it on damage already done that was too late to fix, then offer data recovery service for negotiated price based upon results & time invested.

Shit you not, was making $200 minimum cash in hand every week, sometimes $500-$600. On top of part-time job.

Not living large or anything, but ~$1000 up to ~$2000 a month in cash bills in hand is a fucking tidy bonus to invest in various tech, keep the car running and pay the Internets bill.

If I did it today, I'd probably offer for $75 and know I was blowing out competition. For $150/year (or under, if you're clever) you can set a basic website up with email and you're more than halfway in business.

I sleep well at night. Always did. I provided a real service, and I did the work instead of faking it. Averaged around $25/hour (or a bit better) for actual time spent. And, again, that was all cash off the books. Well worth a $40/hour "real" job. Top tier fallback skill. Plus, it opens doors to many other opportunities to make cash if you're even slightly non-retarded techwise.

I get that, and the hardest part is dealing with people's aversion to learning. They refuse to learn how to operate and maintain the computer but can't fathom why it would keep malfunctioning.
For the most part, operating a Windows PC in the modern ages just requires some reading comprehension and common sense, and it's incredible not only how so many people lack the two, but also how often people admit that knowing how to keep the machine I'm about to sell them running and secure is not important to them.

You know you're in the shit when you have to defer to a 5 year old to explain the concept of safely downloading and installing programs to her mother.

Living in california having to speak to children under 10 to speak to an adult about ANYTHING is very common, can't wait for Daddy T to give em the boot

100 cuckland bucks is close enough to 200 usd anyway

if you are old and just want to be left to your own business, you might pay 200 bucks just to get some program run. What's he gonna use the money on anyway.

or if you have invested a bunch of money into something, you may be willing to pay for the added convenience/security