/sqt/ - stupid question thread

previous thread : Post your stupid question here. Use a search engine before.

my question:

can't get wifi to work. it says it's connected but no ping is available through google dns and the router itself.

here's ip addr

1: lo: mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKOWN group default qlen 1
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

2:wlo1: mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group defualt qlen 1000
link/ether b0:10:41:52:e0:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.107/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic wlo1
valid_lft 86399sec preferred_lft 86399sec
inet6 fe80::c801:3394:87c6:84d6/64 scope link
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

3:enp4s0: mtu 1500 qdisc fc_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 14:58:d0:0d:4c:3c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0108PI7WE/
androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device
pastebin.com/TU4iAimq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ran into my first pc error, motherboard just prints 66 (its some asus ROG one) monitor doesn't respond at all either doesn't even show a bios splash screen

Don't even know where to post this

Are there any comfy high-paid CS jobs where you work alone?

reseat the RAM, or take one slot out

Find your manual and read what the error means fuckwit

tried it
I did, it says it's a ram issue, I've tried a different set of ram in each slot individually, it gave the same error each time

Mayhaps you could what you have done thus far to diagnose the problem.
Run memtest86+ for 24 hours

check capacitors if you're ok with electronics,
or reseat as much as you can
otherwise I would just RMA, if it can't even boot into bios then something is really fucked.

memtest is a nono since I can't even get bios so can't make it boot off usb
not really that good with eletronics, think it's just the motherboard, took out cmos, disconnected everything and drained it - if this doesn't fix it I've been thinking about switching to a mini itx build so I'll just salvage what I can and move on

amazon.com/dp/B0108PI7WE/

I bought this exact television and I'm having a hard time getting things right. It looks fine most of the time, but sometimes colors are too vivid, and in live-action stuff skin tone can sometimes get a little orange. Does anyone know this TV or this brand that can help me figure out what to do?

I only watch Netflix and Hulu and play games on it, and my only devices use HDMI. Color and Saturation options can't be accessed when using HDMI.

Try visually checking the pins in the memory slots
If any are dark your board is toast

Could you paste or summarize the error?

nothing looks or smells burnt, don't have the manual since I built the pc as a cocky teenager, googling pretty much just called it a ram error but everyone else who had the error could get to bios, I can't - might try reseating the GPU

is there an adapter that has 120mm fans to fit into 140mm slots?

>Color and Saturation options can't be accessed when using HDMI.
Your TV a SHIT
a fucking SHIT

Thinking of getting a
Kensington desktop lock thing, are they worth it? just want to make it so if my flat gets robbed I don't lose everything, thinking of getting one for my desktop, one for my laptop and one for my ps4 - I mean £60 to make sure my electronics don't get nicked is decent

I have the msi gaming pro carbon x99. I have my i76800k set to 4.1ghz using the gaming boost option. My voltage is set to 1.3. I ran the msi Intel extreme tuning utility and it has no issues. Everything stays below 60°c. Once I use youtube-dl, tough, I get the BSOD 101 and 124 after a little while. Any idea what's happening?

can I use a water cooling radiator in an exhaust fan slot

how do you even get robbed in a flat

I like to live where I grew up which happens to be a terrible area

Whats better for pc building regular psu or modular? I'd imagine with modular cable management is a ton easier

Yea it will prevent them from getting stolen, but only as long as you anchor it to something unyankable or unless the robbers have the right cutters with them.

not really gunna be wire cutters and that with the theifs I'd be dealing with, would most likely drill through my desk and use that as an anchor and since that's attached to the wall for stability it should do fine

meh, just keep offsite or hidden backups and renters insurance will take care of yo shit. I mean if the burglar doesn't have bolt cutters with him, then he's likely to vandalize your shit and make it useless anyways

Does it fit? What's your case? Your case will usually tell you online where radiators can fit and which sizes fit where. Mine is under my top exhaust fan slot

i charge my phone every night when i go to bed
last night it was at 70% and i woke up to 20% even though i turned it completely off
what caused this and how do i fix it?
it's an s7

maybe you need to calibrate the battery

what does that mean and how do i do that?

androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device

It might not be the actual problem

A programming friend of mine swears up and down that variable placement should be right next to where it's used, instead of at the top of the function. Is he right? I was taught to put all variables at the top for an easier time finding them.

thanks

My parents are too stupid to understand a hierarchical file system or autofill settings on google chrome. They are only in their fifties.

Would replacing their windows xp desktop with a chrome box or a mac be a fool proof solution? I need some advice and am at the end of my wits. There is very little willingness to learn and what I do show them they always whine for me to do it for them.

how can i display a letter like the "i" in pic related using html / css?

i know this is really basic but i'm an idiot patching together a website with 10 years outdated html knowledge

any advice very appreciated

I've heard arguments for both, and it's personal preference, but I prefer them at the top.

>whine for me to do it for them
If you keep doing it for them, they will never learn it and keep leaning on you.
Put everything they need on the desktop in huge icons and shit.tell them to do it them selves or dont do it at all

Anyone know good ways to download part of a Youtube video? I tried clipconverter.cc but half of the time it outputs broken videos. I'm trying to take a bunch of them (most are hours long) and get like 5 seconds of each.

youtube-dl

I don't think it allows you to download certain time lengths of a video unless I missed something.

Want to use certificates in Java. Should I chose pkcs#12 or keystore format?

I wrote a python script that handles the custom protocol play:// to open a link in mpv, I got Firefox to pass the url to my script, which I packaged in an .app, but I always get the same error in my logs:
Dec 20 00:56:57 Daves-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (lan.dave.seedbox.167712[2322]): Service exited with abnormal code: 127

Here are my files:
Seedbox.app/Contents/MacOS/seedbox.py
#!/usr/bin/env python3

import sys.argv
import subprocess

if len(sys.argv == 1) and sys.argv[1].startswith("play://"):
url = sys.argv[1][7:len(sys.argv[1])]
subprocess.run(["/usr/local/bin/mpv", url]);

Seedbox.app/Contents/Info.plist

CFBundleDevelopmentRegion
English
CFBundleExecutable
seedbox.py
CFBundleGetInfoString
Seedbox 0.1a
CFBundleIconFile
seedbox.icns
CFBundleIdentifier
lan.dave.seedbox
CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion
CFBundleName
Seedbox
CFBundlePackageType
APPL
CFBundleShortVersionString
0.1a
CFBundleSignature
DAVE
CFBundleURLTypes

CFBundleURLName
play URL
CFBundleURLSchemes

play

CFBundleVersion
0.1a
LSMinimumSystemVersion

Can anybody tell me why I get this error? Help would be much appreciated.

Whats it called when you put high end parts in a low end cheap looking case? ghetto builds? camo builds?

Download file then use ffmpeg to segment the parts you want

Oops, sorry, the python script I posted is an old version that doesnt work, here's the proper one, so that is not the problem:
#!/usr/bin/env python3

import sys
import subprocess

if len(sys.argv) == 2 and sys.argv[1].startswith("play://"):
url = "" + sys.argv[1][7:len(sys.argv[1])]
subprocess.run(["/usr/local/bin/mpv", url]);

That's the problem, I don't want to download 100 500MB+ videos just to get 5 seconds out of each of them.

my scroll lock sometimes turns on by itself. I'm not sure if it has something to do with virtualbox. am I part of the botnet now?

I want a graphics card that can run CSGO at 100+ FPS for under $150. Thats literally all I want. I dont play any other video games and I cant justify spending more just for CSGO.

What to get?

Tough shit then.

The higher frames per second, the slower the game will play because it has to display all those. Ever seen a high FPS camera take a video? It's like slow motion

How do I see if something is equal to any item in a list?

Question: 1080p at 120hz or 4k at 60hz

How do I convert an .avi video to an .mp4 video?

handbrake, probably? avidemux maybe

if i in alist

ffmpeg -i input.avi output.mp4

You're always going to have to interact with people a bit (otherwise, who would tell you what you need to do?), but data architects don't need to speak to people very often. Any job where the company only needs one person to do it won't require much interaction.

+1

What's wrong with VLC? It's played everything I've thrown at it so far. Why should I consider switching over to mpv or mpc-hc?

Thats how you do it bub

anyone?

Any of you have this infograph in a legible resolution/quality?

Please, I don't know where to look for this

What are the hardships about converting a docx file into a non-buggy epub file?

I googled the first phrases and I think I found the original. It was from some forum post, so I just copied the post and put into a pastebin. The link to the forum itself is at the bottom of that wall of text. Also, the first word is "Feminization", not "eminization". I mistakenly copied it wrong, and I'm lazy to fix it.

pastebin.com/TU4iAimq

Does anyone know how to read DICOM files in GNU Octave?
The dicom package doesn't work because there's no GDCM 2.0 version of this library available online anymore and it doesn't work with 2.6.6

I don't want to use Matlab because muh freedom.

How do I block LogMeIn's Hamachi messenger from my DNS?

I've tried aali.hamachi.cc, bibi.hamachi.cc, logmein.com, std.hamachi.logmein.com, vpn.net, and hamachi.com. They don't seem to work. I'm sure if I block the entire category of instant messengers or whatever it'll work, but is there a specific address I can use to block it?

How hard is it to repair a cracked monitor? I have an Acer GN246HL monitor and it's fucked. I contacted Acer and it still has warranty but they don't fix monitors so I have no clue what the warranty is even for.

HOW do i stop youtube ruining the last 10s of the video with this popup bullshit??????!?!?!?!?

turn off annotations

what's the best free data recovery tool? or it pretty much doesn't matter?

have to go hunting for a file

How can I write a bat file that changes a few values and runs itself over an over again
It's for demuxing blurays so it would go like

eac3to "bluray files" [episode number]) "C:/demux/[episode number]\file"

Bumping for this

Recuva works well enough

Any program to automatically stretch 16:9 programs running in full screen to 21:9?

Is there a way to hide drives/partitions from My Computer in Windows 7 without removing the drive letter/path in the Manager?

I already tried Group Policy, but it doesn't let me select the drives in the dropdown for whatever reason.

Are the Motherboard batteries very important? I'm puzzled about how I fixed my computer

I was getting random reboots, sometimes the PC couldn't even boot after the random resets, I got no BSOD.

So after a while getting those, the PC wouldn't boot, the CPU fan wouldn't spin, I tried switching cooler, I use a 212 evo, but the stock cooler also didn't spin. I tried clearing CMOS but it didn't work.

I tried tons of things, cleaning, removing the CPU and putting it back, and months passed.

Later I just took the mobo battery out for 10mins+, along with another clear CMOS and suddenly my PC boots perfectly fine.

What exactly happened?

there was a recent update to windows 10 computers which put them offline, look for the update fix. for my sis's computer i disabled ipv6 and it fixed it. note the .0. in the ip address means its not connected.

I downloaded a pack of 2800 files and for whatever reason the owner titled them in the format "XXXX - " and I need a basic script to rename all of them, I don't know much code, I tried this
@echo off
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
for %%i in (*) do (set name=%%i && ren "!name!" "!name:~7!")
endlocal

but it didn't work out, it renames the .bat itself, and if i replace (*) with the path it replies "path not found". Can you guys help me out?

it's an archbox.

Want to say thank you, i really mean it, I just realized that you actually took the time to transfer it to pastebin - I thought you just copy pasted the link

I didn't know that it originated from Sup Forums-tier stuff, but if we're going to be honest with ourselves we cannot continue to just brush reality aside either

I actually plan on applying this all to my life, I had already known some of it, but others I did not. Who knew organic soap was a thing? I've never seen it in a store.

they are off!

it won't go away

I want to remove the LED function cable from the back of my computer monitor. But it is concealed with difficult to peel-back tape. It is like foil. I tried peeling it back without breaking it but it came apart. Is it electrical tape?

I haven't removed the cable yet, I'm not sure if it's even able to be removed. I'm careful not to yank it out in case it's not meant to come out. Anyone familiar with these cables or the connection?

Did i do this is the worst way possible?
The program is supposed to get a number 1 - 100 as many times as the user wants and then sorts those numbers into a graph like this:
1-10 : *****
11-20 : **
21-30 : *****
etc.

public class PP64 {

public static void main(String[] args) {
Scanner scan = new Scanner(System.in);
int input = 1;
String[] star = new String[]{"","","","","","","","","",""};

while(input < 101 && input > 0){

System.out.print("Enter # 1-100: ");
input = scan.nextInt();

for(int i = 0;i < 10; i++){

if( input

Okay Sup Forums I have a question perfect for this thread.

I recently built a new PC and I'm pretty happy with it. The fans are a bit loud (Corsair Spec Alpha case) but it's not that bad. What is bad however is the drive. I use an SSD for my OS, but for mass storage I use a Toshiba 2TB HDD and it's fucking crazy loud. My PC seriously sounds like a 1999 PC rattling like crazy.

Are Toshiba HDDs shit?
Is there something I can do?

Toshiba drives are notoriously loud, but the tradeoff is that they have a near-zero failure rate, rating higher than WD on most benchmarks.

I actually just installed a 3TB myself. It's slightly louder than the WD Green I'm running, but I'd still call it relatively silent. Maybe it's a lottery.

best used netbook under $100 that will run debian or fedora with a window manager and firefox with a few tabs open?

sleeper

Yesterday my Winblows 10 pc got stuck at the loading screen. I thought the hard drive might be fucky.

Tried installing windows 7 on a ssd I have, same thing happens. Tried using the windows ten usb formatter directly from microsoft, same thing happens.

Ubuntu from a USB boots perfectly.

What the fuck do I do?

Which is better for a seed box? WD Black, Purple, Red or Gold? Seeding about 3,000 torrents 24 hours a day.

Is there a way to set up Openvpn so it doesn't use the proxy for certain domains? Or do I just need to toggle it on and off when I need to?

I setted up a music bot for ts3 thatt plays youtube links using the youtube-dl program. The question is: where do the music files go? Are them deleted once they finished playing?

I'm using an Asus EEE PC 901 with Debian on it. It works fine for basic web browsing.

I bought a RX 470 to replace my HD5850. I cleared the drivers using DDU, then installed the RX 470. On boot, my motherboard splash screen was replaced with pic related, although I could still access my BIOS and my OS loaded fine afterwards. Turning off the image-based splash screen in my BIOS prevented the pixelated mess.

However, in games, my drivers would crash, causing the game's window to become transparent and unplayable. This happened across 3 different games running 3 different engines. I tried a reformat of my OS, same result. I tried older versions of the RX 470's drviers, same results. I've already RMA'd the card, but I was curious if anyone might have an idea what was happening.

whats the best VPN service? I mostly want to hide my VPN to torrent shit but hiding my web browsing is nice too.

I dont trust the top ten lists because the (((media))) promotes them too.

The blue one looks better, right?

Price is about the same

how's the inside?

Depends on what you wear them with

I bought it because of the low failure rates and the fact that they're really cheap here. Actually added on a 3TB one as well before considering that the sound might be due to the brand. If the 3TB is more quiet I guess I'll start using that as my main storage.

Brown looks slightly better. that collar is pretty gross though desu senpai.

+1 for the EEE PC 901. Max out the ram, throw in a small SSD and you've got a really good quick browsing machine with great battery life.

both in excellent condition, however the blue one is better on the inside - it has flannel lining

that is corduroy son

agreed

look what i got today guys, i asked about used clothing here a week ago and the results were 50/50 so i went ahead. what a pleasant surprise

the catch is though when trying to make a find, avoid anything that says "vintage", and also try to find things being sold by the actual person who owned them rather than a reseller

i bought an ll bean jacket that was $20 and it was fucking filthy, like so filthy i just bagged it and threw it away kind of filthy

i've never bought used clothes before in my life but now i'm sold, the one one the left was actually brand new only worn twice (and the seller wasn't lying), and the one on the right is definitely worn but is in excellent condition

i washed them both twice and dried them both times, and also the last time let it sit in the freezing weather, so extreme temp fluctuations could kill off anything, which i doubt there was though as these were both clean

bump

youtube-dl will save the file in the directory the command is used