Why the fuck is the internet going backwards and getting more fucking annoying??

>Back to the bad old days of low-quality streaming video - now with adds and 5 trillion pop-up pages!
>Every single fucking website has shit hanging from every edge that can't be removed
>Telecom service is shittier than ever and will spy on you for Hollywood execs now
>Firefox basically non-functional
>Chrome has no features
Etc. This is bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

eurosport.de/watch-eurosport.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As I see it, the internet is becoming the new TV. It's sad, really.

It is. Instead of old media becoming updated, they're attempting to enslave the internet to shit old media. It's disgusting.

Yeah. I recently used the internet without unlock and umatrix and it was horrible.
The question is what is the next big thing?

Why is Google Image search getting worse and worse?

Really?

>unlock
What exatly is that add on for adblocking?
>The question is what is the next big thing?
The internet becoming government property
forcing us to have digital indentity card
and say hello to digital slavery

I have been wondering this too.
I have also found that fewer and fewer sites are usable on a mobile phone due to unresponsive page-covering ads.

I FEEL YA BRO

Actually, that's yet another issue. Google search results are getting absurdly commercialized. You can hardly find anything. And, of course, they bought Youtube, so it's also an ad-stuffed corporate hellhole now.

Pretty much except it will be administered by corporations.

>The question is what is the next big thing?
We gotta go back to gopher

Contrary to what people believe, computing peaked in the 1950's, and has been on the decline since.

The early Lisp machines were the closest we ever reached to perfection, and everything since then has been a regression of one form or another.

The internets are becoming an absolute mess. Sites that should be simple and sometimes even look relatively plain are full of invisible rubbish that takes a while to load and starts to eat up CPU. Way too many sites are very heavy for no reason. Anything simple gets replaced by tons of shit code.

Some sites I used to like switched their layout to complete garbage over the past one to three years. Whereas it used to be easy to find things on those sites and you could get a lot of information on the screen to navigate nimbly, now you get a screen-swiping mess of trash and lots of stuff hidden under who knows what rock with little in the way of a global glimpse to navigate.

Depending on what you look for, Google has been a mess for years. Trying to find a book review/discussion not on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or a zillion other shop sites has been a bitch. And these days of course you have shit tons of fake sites that attract people by promising downloads that don't actually exist, but if I'm just looking for commentary on a book etc. it is difficult to filter all this rubbish out. You can if you limit the search to specific sites of course, but that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to find something interesting and unpredictable.

Also Google in general seems to love breaking everything because of whatever pointless idea they've come up with.

>>unlock
>What exactly is that add on for adblocking?

>Some sites I used to like switched their layout to complete garbage over the past one to three years.
Exatly the same happened with youtube!

They even break shit on purpose for no reason. Browsing Google images in Opera 12 gives the old page by page layout instead of the new infinite scroll collage style yet setting the useragent to Firefox makes it work fine.

What's wrong with firefox?

>Way too many sites are very heavy for no reason.
It's because it's become trendy to have a bunch of garbage all over your site. Fucking retards and their trends.

>Some sites I used to like switched their layout to complete garbage over the past one to three years.
Oh I can barely even use yahoo mail anymore.

>And these days of course you have shit tons of fake sites
This. This pisses me off more than anything. I swear to fucking christ it's like half the fucking planet's population is employed fulltime wasting the other half's fucking time.

>for no reason.
Well they do it actually for a reason
to force to use Chrome ever thought of that?

Firefox works fine on all my machines.

If that was the case it wouldn't work in Firefox or Safari.

Image search is getting bombed every two days, and when it happens a bunch of people in wave come to see "how strange that is" consolidating the attack and setting it in stone
the filters set in place by Google are failing sequentially and it's bound to get worse by february, so much fucking worse.

Hopefully I'll get my hands on the GRIS engine before they close it up next april

>It's because it's become trendy to have a bunch of garbage all over your site. Fucking retards and their trends.

It's why I adamantly use NoScript.

I notice the same, results on all google products are absolute shite, but without google being willing to continually eat losses on youtube it would not still be around today

The devs went completely insane at some point and now insist on nothing working for some completely inexplicable reason. And whenever a user points out that they broke the browser (again), all they do is try to convince everyone what a great new feature it is! They're sickening subhuman pieces of scum who are incapable of admitting wrongdoing and refuse to stop breaking the browser for shitty, arbitrary reasons.

But chrome sucks too.

I tried but it basically puts the internet on lock-down because it's so cancerous with shit scripts.

Well they only succedded with Opera and failed with FF n AS

Then pushing users to Chrome was clearly not the motive.

>Why the fuck is the internet going backwards and getting more fucking annoying??
I call it "middle of the decade syndrome". As in, we only get really good innovation in the first and last year in a decade. This is based on the fact that roughly 2004-2007 was kind of a lull in terms of mainstream tech.

>now with adds and 5 trillion pop-up pages!
There are no ads. If you are seeing ads, your web browser is improperly configured, and you will need to make a walk of shame with the words "I still see advertisements in my web browser" written on your back with a sharpie.

There are most definitely ads, you're just taking measures to not see them. What you're saying is like a firefighter going there is no smoke it's your own fault for not wearing a respirator to someone dying of smoke inhalation in a burning house.

Dumbass tripfaggot.

Well when there are respirators all around you, if you chose not to wear one and to just weather out the smoke, you kind of deserve what's coming to you.

You're still choosing to ignore the root issue. The problem's not that he's not wearing a respirator even though one's next to him, it's that the room's filled with smoke (yes there's also a fire but that's not exactly the point here).

Given the current trend of bloated javascript frameworks being the hot new thing, i'm not at all surprised things have gotten so bad.

These past couple of years it feels like the internet has gone down some dark black hole of emoji poo.

>a firefighter going there is no smoke it's your own fault for not wearing a respirator to someone dying of smoke inhalation in a burning house
but user, in that case it would be your own fault

the tripfag makes a good point: the internet is a housefire

money hungry people found the internet as platform.
You also have now a generation of people using it who don't know how it was in the beginning.
Legislation catching up but actually benefitting those money-hungry fucks.

>the tripfag makes a good point: the internet is a housefire
That was my point, you dumbass. Also see

My current web-application that I'm getting paid to do has less than a hundred lines of CSS, and so far doesn't even have jQuery as a dependency.

It's fast as FUCK. Holy shit, if others discover this ONE SIMPLE TRICK, I'll be out of business.

>I tried but it basically puts the internet on lock-down because it's so cancerous with shit scripts.
Better than getting hit with ads and fucking malware every time I look at a random site.

mpv+youtube-dl have never changed their design :^)

Fucking bullshit.

Oh god this so much.

The latest offender in my bookmarks is the homepage of Eurosport.

This page was a clean and easily readable list of the upcoming program for the next few days before it suddenly changed a few weeks ago.

eurosport.de/watch-eurosport.shtml

Just look at this shit.

>eurosport.de/watch-eurosport.shtml
I love how half of it autotranslates to Norwegian.

WHY!? If I go to page.DE, I expect DEUTSCH language.
In the old days, one of the ways you could learn other languages (in my case French) was to go on the internet and check out webpages with simple language and lots of pictures.

And when you got better, you could check out more advanced pages with more text and fewer letters, to see how the language was actually used. (Like, you'd get to feel how much German hates verbs. It's the Java of natural languages.)

Heija Norge :^)

>confusing web (aka WWW) with the Internet

I hate you OP. Go kill yourself.

Why thank you. :^)

Why gopher in particular? Or are you just memeing?

How is that autism you dumb fuck? Do you call the application Microsoft Office a computer?

>When you load some kind of mainstream website and it embeds a large mp4 in the background with a bootstrap template

When was the last time somebody found a really interesting personal site through Google?

It seems out of the question these days, unless your query contains a unique string of text.

Searching any general topic will yield results from massive corporate sites before anything else. Twitter, Youtube, Amazon, etc. It's sad.

Web then:
>people interested in topic X share a fuckton of useful info on X on their personal home pages
>they exchange links with other X aficionados and have in-depth discussions about X on Usenet
>their only agenda is sharing and expanding their own knowledge of X
>signal to noise ratio: ~0.95

Web now:
>keyword stuffing, SEO, clickbaits, link farms, everything to attract traffic to """"monetize""""
>quantity over quality
>5 ad networks and 7 analytics scripts per page
>average download size: 4.5MB
>actual useful info: ~0B
>""""professional [bv]loggers""""
>see more of our useless shit in the walled garden of Facebook/YouTube/OtherBotnet
>signal to noise ratio: ~0.05

ISP ownership needs to be cheaper to where even a small town can set their own up. Fucking kikes at Comcast and at&t want a monopoly.

Give examples about ff

check it out by searching I been using youtube since 07! if somehow with mpv u can emulate it yea + ads on sure it can stay the same 4ever

Sup Forums included

fuck banner ads with that tiny little X you think you can tap but can't

hiroshimoot why

Do people really not know why this happened?
Better economy, more kids can afford going on the internet.

>computing peaked in the 1950's
What makes you say this?

Computing was definitely the best during the 1970s and 1980s.

>gives the old page by page layout instead of the new infinite scroll collage
Sounds like a feature to me

Forced diversity / gender equality

>>Firefox basically non-functional
Is it just me or has firefox been crashing a lot for anyone else lately?

When was the last time someone made a really interesting personal site?

"Computer professionals" now say "Visit my Twitter" instead of "Visit my website"

It got too big. Everything that gets touched by normies turns to shit.

"As technology advances, it reverses the characteristics of every situation again and again. The age of automation is going to be the age of 'do it yourself.' "

Time to switch to Brave OP.

VR/AR metaverse. We get another 5-10 years of the oldfags not knowing what to do with it before they catch on.

>Image search can barely into Tumblr and almost not at all into Facebook and Twitter, where 90% of new images turn up

Also Google search as a whole going to shit. I don't know if they changed it for speed or monetization or if the search model was crippled by spam sites or if it's them pushing the machine learning stuff or what, but it's almost as useless as Yahoo was when Google itself came on the scene.

There is literally nothing wrong with firefox.

This.

Internet is mainstream now and this generation of young adults were young kids or babies in the glory days of the net. They simply don't know any better.

because that stupid nigger handed control of the internet away to the UN and a bunch of foreign faggots

>I swear to fucking christ it's like half the fucking planet's population is employed fulltime wasting the other half's fucking time.

I truer statement has never been made about post modern society.

The abstractions on spying on abstractions on datamining on abstractions is killing me. How do actual computer scientists stay sane? Or are they apart of it. I assume so

Yes, but normies never had a reason to use the internet before social media, this is what ruined it

this happened to all IT in 2001

the Establishment was very very upset that these geeks were changing the world from their garages and the cut off the funding.

Has that even taken effect yet? This is the epitome of cuckservatism blaming your problems on magic obama

anyone who thinks websites were better in the 90s or early 2000s is a nostalgiafag
the people designing and engineering these behemoth sites that serve millions of people have more knowledge than you
>no XD those devs are just terrible omfg i can just write static html in notepad its not hard

>implying normies didn't use msn messanger and aim when facebook and twitter didn't exist

I can barely even get Chrome to run anymore. It just shits itself trying to do basic things like load youtube videos.
I had to switch to Firefox and install a bunch of addons to block 90% of the fucking internet

That's because we went from trying to document facts, to trying to document opinions AND useless facts

They tried to do this in the '90s

Money.

I have been working with people using wordpress as a cm and they really know nothing about programming so they just add and add plugins until it is really bloated with plugins.

Other one is that companies are spending stupid amounts of cash on facebook, youtube, google ads. And after checking backlinks of big companies, univeristies, google takes this ads as backlink sources improving their seo.

I just smell something weird in all this, but this companies make keywords expensive as hell, i just pay my employees to click them its part of their job.

Comcast and the other big IPs need to be fucked in the ass. We have some of the slowest internet on the planet for a country the size of ours and out infrastructure is 50 years old and needs a serious update. We also pay a shitload for internet that in Europe you could get for maybe 15 dollars. Trump won't help here though.

>Chrome has no features

No bloat you mean.

Normie invasion

(((Trump))) vowed to censor sites like this one

>load a news article on phone
>start reading article
>text jumps all over the place as slow-loading media starts to push the content down
>have to keep thumbing my way back to the paragraph
>it fades to white and cuts off with a big boxed link under it:
>"CLICK TO READ FULL ARTICLE"
>click it and wait
>instantly breaks off into a new paragraph with a giant, screen-filling, animated advertisement, usually with sound, inbetween paragraphs
>small rectangular advertisement pops up pinned at the bottom of the screen, microscopic close button, baiting you to accidentally click on it trying to close it
>continue reading article even though by now i'm so distracted i've forgotten what i'm reading about
>big fuckoff ad slides up on the screen as i'm scrolling to read more article
>KEEP SCROLLING TO CONTINUE
>lock my phone and put it back in my pocket
mobile was a fucking mistake

Gopher is a text-based with a clear hierarchy.
It allows for users to search and find content,
rather than a tool for sites to advertise to you.
GOPHER!

Can you elaborate on those points? First I've heard of this since I don't use Google search

>messanger and aim
teenagers and maybe young adults

> twitter and Facebook
literally everyone

There is clearly a huge difference in size.

Kill yourself, ff dev. You've intentionally made it so flash doesn't even fucking WORK on most sites. Even add-ons can't keep up with all the cancerous changes you keep putting in. And the flash player plugin contain was your magnum flatus. That was both the climax and beginning of the end for ff as a viable browser.

And of course, you STILL ignore the actual users who keep telling you it's all shit.

>Muh security doe!!
FUCK. YOU. Security isn't an issue if nobody can even use the pile of shit.

I can't even use it. It literally makes the internet non-operational. I either have to take the script shit or not browse.

Shhh. Nobody cares.

It's literally like the bad old days again when some random website would have midi music you couldn't turn the fuck off and it would freeze up everything.

Absolutely disgusting.

Yup. It's been the main push for years now. Everything has become video based, and there are only a few "channels" with the content regulated by someone you have no contact with.

net neutrality

It's so true

>I just smell something weird in all this
Yeah, you're not alone.

You sound like an old idiot, m8.

>ads
Who ever sees that?

>shit hanging from every edge that can't be removed
Huh?

What? And who cares? There are lots of usable browsers.

>Chrome has no features
It's a browser not a car.

Why do most sites made in USA are like this?

I always see these modals popup on USA sites, wtf is this, do they all go to the same school or something? Or do their CEOs order them to annoy the shit out of you just because you landed on their site?

Haven't seen this on sites from other countries much. Seems like an USA thing.

*Why are most sites made in the USA like this

Mostly anything to do with flash.

It's not just you. Once upon a time I would have like 250 separate windows open at a time doing research and it worked fine. Now, if I have over 100 and have too many forms of media working at once, I can kiss that session goodbye until I reload it.

Actually, it's because we don't cull the stupid.\

Sounds spot on.

i guess the psychology has switched from "maybe if we run ads we can supplement our server costs" to "clicks by any means necessary: every view of an ad, every fraction of a penny counts" in order to offset the increasing amount of people who block ads on desktop (and also to be complete jews)