/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_is_the_best
gnome-look.org/p/1099906/)
lmgtfy.com/?q=How do I make a bootable windows disk on linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder to install H64ify for your chromium so that your youtube videos won't lag

You mean building it with h.264 support?

I'm running Arch, guys!

Learn to read
It's shite

praise my choices more, brethren!

dumb namefag

if your using arch your a noob. just face it.

I havnt seen arch users be elitist assholes in this thread even once, but people have been elitist assholes about arch all the time.
>OH MY GOOD IM CHOKING ON ALL OF THESE COCKS AND DROWNING IN CUM IM SUCH A FAGGOT LOOK AT ME IM USING ARCH BTW I LIKE ARCH YOU SHOULD USE ARCH

>he couldn't install arch

I'm on Arch, btw. Just sayin'

off to a great start everyone. nobody lose sight of what's important!

People in these threads are elitist all the time, the choice of distro doesn't matter.

Atch is the best
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_is_the_best

I bought a RasPi3 as a meme, but I dont know what to do with it. I rather have my little shit services like irc bouncers on AWS and I don't need a media center either.

Any ideas?

Set up a Tor relay.

I have a RasPi2 since over a year and still no real idea what to do with it, I'm just not creative

but they're not doing it in reply to anyone here, they're just randomly interjecting with pretend faggotry punctuated by saying they're using arch or something. The fabled 'elitist, skiddie arch users' are nowhere to be seen, so its like some inexplicable attempt at propoganda or something.

Lol, nope.

>Lol

Set up a Tor relay.

>elitist
really a stupid and meaningless word here if you consider that any distro is easy as fuck. which means the barrier of entry to becoming "elite" is literally just reading skills

I'd like your guys input on something I wanted to do for a while but haven't yet.

What I want:
Something so I can unblock certain region-blocked websites without having to route all my traffic through some VPN

What I currently consider:
Set up a VM that routes all traffic though VPN, then route traffic I want to unblock through VM.

Seems pretty bloated for the functionality though, someone has a better idea?

rejected

All my problems can be seen in this webm

1. When dragging files around on my desktop and trying to put them into my file manager, it doesn't know my file manager is there and just places them on the desktop.

2. I love the theme i am using (gnome-look.org/p/1099906/) but there is a problem, when i click and drag to make the select box, it had no transparency. I think it would be an easy thing to fix, but i do not know how to fix it. Which is really annoying, because i do not want to change.

3. On the directory in the quick selection thing on my file manager on the left (with documents, videos, pictures etc) Desktop does not show up there anymore? Yes i have done sudo dnf update and restarted, but that hasn't fixed anything. Any help would be great.

Just wayland things in the name of security.

mv /home/cocksucker/Desktop/* /home/cocksucker/Downloads/Art/

>that webm
wut

I thought Gnome3 had no desktop icons whatsoever

People actually use Drag & Drop?
I'm surprised.

Pulseaudio users with Creative soundcards (Audigy preferably): do you also get a crackling and popping sound when adjusting the volume?

reeeee. Im not going into terminal to do that.

I want to drag and drop!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW

>1. When dragging files around on my desktop and trying to put them into my file manager, it doesn't know my file manager is there and just places them on the desktop.
You probably enabled some feature that allows you to view icons on the desktop which is not the default behaviour in Gnome3.

>2. I love the theme i am using (gnome-look.org/p/1099906/) but there is a problem, when i click and drag to make the select box, it had no transparency. I think it would be an easy thing to fix, but i do not know how to fix it. Which is really annoying, because i do not want to change.
The theme was created and is maintained with Gnome version 3.18 and 3.20.
You're using Fedora which is considered bleeding edge distribution and updates packages frequently. Current version of Gnome in Fedora is 3.22.

Both those bugs are to blame onn Gnome.
You have to get used to it if youre using it..
Gnome developers are EXTREMELY anti-user in attitude and approach to development process.

Themes break with every release.

My advice is to just get accustomed to using Adwaita.

>gnome tweak tool

>You probably enabled some feature that allows you to view icons on the desktop which is not the default behaviour in Gnome3.
Nah i was able to drag and drop since Fedora 22.
Here is the setting in gnome tweak tool that has been here... for like ever.

>Gnome in Fedora is 3.22.
Right, didn't know they were updating Gnome. KIll me

Maybe it's a Wayland issue. Make sure it's not that before blaming other less likely things.

It is, like I mentioned above, Wayland limits interaction in the name of security. Think Android.

>making such technically-not-backed-up claims
I bet you're one of those people who knows shit about the subject of display servers or Wayland itself, but you just keep repeating the same few claims.
Yes, it takes "security" seriously. It's still in its early days and you cannot possibly expect it to have all the features X has currently, after being in development for 20 years or more.

On a second thought, it could also be related to him using an unofficial hack which enables icons on the desktop.

>gets worked up since someone acknowledges wayland's limitations

I never said it's a bad thing, though, calm down user.

I'm not "worked up" because of Wayland claims. I am disgusted by people doing that thing in general. When they pick up a few edgy sounding and bold opinions and adopt them just because they think it must be cool, since it's so contrarian. It makes up the majority of all discussions.

I am pretty new to Linux and GNU os, I have read lots of wikis and guides. But I still have some questions.
1. What is the difference in terms of software between "server" headless versions of Fedora, CentOS, Suse, Debian and Arch apart from package manager?
2. Why different types of Linu kernels exist and does anyone have experience with one of them? Do they increase system performance?
3. Why do people, such as Arch users need latest versions of programs and utilities?
4. What is the difference between Arch and Bleeding edge Debian then?
5. Why not use backports on Debian? It provides stable packages and latest patches for them. Newest software often comes with more bloat, especially if it is something like DE, LibreOffice, browser (Firefox is fine on ESR, especially if you use custom configs which are always fucked up in newer versions). Having patches to kernel and other vital software is fine.
6. How to configure a kernel if I have some *old hardware platform with 10 year-old-cpu* and only suppose to use it "as is", without adding anyhing like new video cards or something like that. Also, I really don't need 486DX compability, so I need to remove legacy hardware support too. Is there a way to automate this process? Like run a script whick scans all systems devices, saves their kernel modules and deletes everything else, except maybe from some USB devices support or some pci controllers which are not video card for example, then merges it monolythically and compiles?
7. Why there are sometimes 3 programs that do the same thing shipped with base system installer? Obvious example: fdisk, cfdisk, parted.
8. Why there are only 2 types of programs: console utility with human unreadable arguments with obscure man page which is supposed for scripting and posix pipelining, which is fine, but then there is some horrendous bloated gui version of this written with gtk or qt?
Where is something in between? I want a comfy framebuffer program like in DOS times.

What's the best file system for high-latency block devices?

Is there a way to optimize throughput otherwise, somehow with dm-cache or similar?

alternative to

7. Fdisk just works so why take it out at it's size?
Cfdisk is Fdisk for GPT partitioned disks pretty sure.

cfdisk is bios . Cgdisk is gpt.

cfdisk is fdisk, but curses based.

>1. What is the difference in terms of software between "server" headless versions of Fedora, CentOS, Suse, Debian and Arch apart from package manager?
That question makes no sense. The "server" versions of those distributions use the same package manager.

>2. Why different types of Linu kernels exist and does anyone have experience with one of them? Do they increase system performance?
Marginally at most. Enjoy your placebo. Stick to your distribution's kernel and only compile your own if you have nothing better to do or need specific features.

>3. Why do people, such as Arch users need latest versions of programs and utilities?
Why do you download the latest version of software on Windows?

>5. Why not use backports on Debian? It provides stable packages and latest patches for them. Newest software often comes with more bloat, especially if it is something like DE, LibreOffice, browser (Firefox is fine on ESR, especially if you use custom configs which are always fucked up in newer versions). Having patches to kernel and other vital software is fine.
Because it's contrived and probably a hell for the packages. It might not affect you, but it's easier to just follow upstream releases.

Cfdisk can handle GPT too.

Use your file manager to drag your shit. You should have a folder in there called 'Desktop'.

>Themes break with every release.
>My advice is to just get accustomed to using Adwaita.
Not anymore. The extensions and themes api is now stable.

No it's not. I don't eve use GNOME all that much but some of the extensions I've used before aren't compatible with the newest version. The extension website literally tries to sort the incompatible extensions out. Wtf you doing coming in here talking bullshit?

I've never used linux. My brother suggested Arch. Isn't that supposed to be for experienced users?

Get Ubuntu.

Being an experienced user i always an advantage, that's even true for Windows.

Hey friends! I have an issue loading/installing Xubuntu on my machine (Dell Optiplex 7010)

I tried booting from USB and after a few screens (One had random letters and numbers on the top left, and another one had a solid color with a few lines going through) I got a Xubuntu loading screen but after a few seconds it just took me to a black screen with 3 dots on the top left. This same thing happens to me every single time I try.

I have also tried different USB drives in two different ports so I doubt that is the issue.

Anybody have any ideas how I can get it working? I really want to give this distro a try.

I have an i5-3470 and a GTX 970 if that is important.

Can you switch tty?
Sounds like it could be graphics driver issues.

question! I'm running gnome3 but firefox-dev doesn't like npapi plugins like the shell integration. Do I have to abandon this firefox and go to the ESR version?

I was thinking the same thing but I don't know how to do that.

>I've never used linux.
Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora should be a good starting distro.

>My brother suggested Arch.
>Isn't that supposed to be for experienced users?
Arch is fine when you know what you're doing. But for newbies, it's confusing as fuck... and for most advanced users, a waste of time.

Ctrl + Alt + F4 (or F3 etc.)

What would that do?

switch to tty4 (or tty3 etc.)

Thanks. Having trouble understanding how that would fix my issue, sorry I am a Linux noob.

It doesn't fix things by itself, it's just useful for further steps and confirm the assumed problem.

Alright. If that is the problem what do I need to do to get it fixed?

>recommending Mint

1. If you're comparing the server versions of those distros: some configurations and init.
2. Like the Zen kernel? "Vanilla" Linux needs to run properly on different architectures and for different target audiences, it does so with a [small] loss of performance. That said, even on a server, I wouldn't bother with that.
3. For most part it's about bragging rights, but some updates are required for security reasons and some (like DE updates) might bring interesting stuff in.
4. Arch won't break as much as sid, provided the user didn't dun goofed.
5. I guess the 3rd answer renders this moot. Just use the backports if you feel inclined to do so.
6. Download the kernel source code, mess with the configurations and follow some instructions. Sorry, it's the best I can help you with that.
7. Because the three programs do slightly different things OR there's a lot of disagreement on which one is the best.
8. Console programs are often made with the "KISS" philosophy in mind; as such, they're small and cryptic. The GUI frontends are supposed to cover multiple use cases, that's why they're so "bloated".
The middle ground wouldn't be as flexible as the console program or intuitive as the GUI.

Then you know what to google for.

Ok...

If you want to discuss this, there's just for that.

But anyway. It's intuitive to use for most newbies and it doesn't come bundled with so much crap as Ubuntu.

>recommending Google

bump

And Google will tell him to use proprietary drivers. Shocking.

>But anyway. It's intuitive to use for most newbies and it doesn't come bundled with so much crap as Ubuntu.
Nah. Ubuntu is pretty much more lightweight than Mint.

gtfo """H.M""", this isn't reddit

>it doesn't come bundled with so much crap as Ubuntu
like, security

mate, come on. friendly thread, I just need an answer, that's all.

>I just need an answer, that's all
so you have no reason for namefagging, right?

See the thread I linked, people are discussing that there.

"Vanilla" Ubuntu comes with Unity, that is crap.
If you're talking about Xubuntu, I agree, but YMMV about Xfce. (I like it, but plenty people would rather use something more modern-looking like KDE or Cinnamon).

In the end though, it's the same shit.

sorta, I'm a namefaggot because I crave attention but also because I want all of you to see that I can help out sometimes rather than asking to be spoonfed. TL;DR I am an attention whore pls gib answer

Did you remember to double-click the icon?

which icon?

Is Xubuntu the best buntu? I am trying out Lubuntu right now and it is pretty damn slick.

Lubuntu is meant for really old laptops/desktops. It has no compositor

I prefer Lubuntu, but they're both pretty similar. Xfce is uglier in my opinion.

DOUBLE CLICK THE SYSTEM 32 ICON! You are answer is there.

Someone please help.

And? i didn't say it worked on your version. I said the api is now stable, so if it works on 3.22, will work on nay future versions too.

>Not anymore
It is currently affecting extensions.
Your English comprehension leaves something to be desired.

>... and for most advanced users, a waste of time.
You don't know wtf you're talking about. It takes less than an hour to be up and running on a vanilla DE. And after you're done with the install it is actually easier than other distros because of pacman and yaourt.

How do I make a bootable windows disk on linux?

Ubuntu is ubuntu. If you are talking about DEs talk about DEs.

This is great guide
lmgtfy.com/?q=How do I make a bootable windows disk on linux

You can go that route or read up on how to use the dd command.

Thanks

dd won't work

stop namefagging

Well it used to

How do you convert .ogv to .webm?

I'm having a problem after recording my screen, I put the clip into a video editor software and both of these video editors gave me the same white screen result but with audio. I recorded the screen with two different programs.

How do I go on about fixing this issue? Kdenlive gave me image related, any tips?

ffmpeg -i ogg.ogg webm.webm

Alright I'll try ffmpeg -i ogv.ogv webm.webm but I have to remove kdenlive to install ffmpeg rip.

>to install ffmpeg
wat