How does g/ feel about the og macbook?

How does g/ feel about the og macbook?

It showed just how retarded applefags were. Really, buying a core 2 duo machine that late? for that much?

The old black ones were somewhat decent looking if kept clean, but they were dirt magnets.

ooga booga

Just another piece of shit for the Crapple pile.

I still have my 2006 13 inch MacBook. Upgreaded to 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD. I installed Libreboot and it runs Debian, but I don't really have a use for it. I have several other Libreboot machines and I use Raspberry Pis for other things that the laptop could be used for. It's kinda collecting dust.

>Really, buying a core 2 duo machine that late? for that much?
>LAST og macbook model released 4 months before FIRST Intel mobile core processor
>"late"
>"retarded"
kek

The unibody aluminium and unibody polycarbonate (2nd gen plastic MB) models stretched into 2011 with C2D processors, overlapping the availability of core processors by just over a year. But so did a lot of Windows notebooks.

I would love to buy it off you, isit the black colourway?

How upgradable are these is it just ram and storage? how many ram slots?

Should note that the MBP's moved very quickly to i5 and i7 processors while the entry level unibody MB's continued to use C2D.

Someone gave me a black MB for free since it had a busted screen. Swapped out the screen with one off eBay and everything else is fine. I had forgotten how well Snow Leopard ran with just a hard drive. I might just take it up to Lion (last version that will run), max out the RAM, and drop in a spare SSD.

EveryMac.com has specs for each specific version. But in general expect 2 slots, 4gb max, and you can drop in a SSD.

What sucks is that the CPU is soldered to the board. I've repaired two throw away Acer notebooks that had socket C2D. Drop in a late 2.8ghz C2D and all of a sudden a sluggish computer ready for the recycle yard is usable again.

This is partially offset by the fact that Snow Leopard and Lion aren't bloated pieces of shit like Windows. Still, if Apple had used a socket those old MBs would have a lot more life left in them.

is 4gb the max because the highest compatable stick is 2gb?

It's white. I'm not sure if I want to sell it. It has a lot of sentimental value since it was my first personal computer.

Lion runs ok on it, but don't expect any modern applications to work lkfe Firefox or Chrome unless you want a really outdated version. Also PPC application compatibility was dropped with Lion. Just install a GNU/Linux distro and call it a day. You could also do Windows 7 through bootcamp, but it really chokes when doing basic stuff.

You can do 4GB with 2GB(x2) cards in it.

No, I think it's the actual memory controller. I say that because the unibody aluminum C2D MacBooks...and maybe the unibody plastic ones...could do 6gb in a 4+2 configuration.

>Lion runs ok on it, but don't expect any modern applications to work lkfe Firefox or Chrome unless you want a really outdated version.

FireFox just dropped support for SL and Lion in August. And I believe while you're stuck with old Safari, you can still upgrade the WebKit engine to the latest. (Was told I could and pointed to the repository, but haven't tried it yet.)

But yeah, the ability to run anything new is dropping fast. This is really driven by Apple because they're the ones who drop support in their headers and compilers. I'll give one thing to Microsoft: in 2016 it's not that hard to ship a binary that runs on everything from XP with the last service pack to fucking Windows 10. Apple doesn't give a fuck about you if you're more then about 3 or 4 releases back.

>Just install a GNU/Linux distro and call it a day.

Nooo...a MacBook should run X. I've got resurrected Acers for Linux. Or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.

>You could also do Windows 7 through bootcamp

Abomination.

Snow Leopard runs much better than Lion. The cases on the og models inevitably develop cracks around the case due to the shitty plastic used. On the upside, you can score one for around 50 bucks on eBay these days.

Watch for the battery, mine exploded as the gf stored it with almost no charge at all

retard. It accepts 16GB max when using OSX Lion or above. Snow Leopard or below and you can use 8GB.

they were shit. plastic palmrest is cracked on all the ones I've seen

kek

My 2014 mbpr got a dent from where I rested my palm.

Well, enjoy no apps then. Windows or GNU/Linux are your only choices if you want to stay up to date.

The battery in mine is totally dead. It's the original one. I took it out anyways.

You're the retard here. The mother board will not accept more than 4GB. The OS doesn't matter.

>PPC application compatibility
If SL can run tenfourfox it might just be best outdated OSX on Intel.

>call someone retarded
>post false information

Think before you post.

I'm on op's model right now and have 8GB.

>Windows or GNU/Linux are your only choices if you want to stay up to date.
I have a modern MBP for "up to date." Aside from the web up to date is overrated any way. I can't think of any new feature in any program I use that has impressed me in the last...5, 6 years?

Web browsers are the things that constantly need updating because fucking pajeet can't learn to code so you need a quad core i7 and 32gb of RAM just to read the news.

Ah shit I never even thought of that. Will test tonight.

You're on a second gen unibody plastic MB.

The og MB could not go to 8.

50 bucks? please find me a black one for less than £100

>hurr I have an image so I must be right

Kill yourself, shit for brains.

The last gen of unibody plastic macbooks were very cute. i always wanted one, but they're pretty expensive here.

trash