Hi Sup Forums, I've never programmed before, but am taking a class on PLC's

hi Sup Forums, I've never programmed before, but am taking a class on PLC's.

I took a course in motor logic, and it's really my first experience with this type of thinking (desu never really looked at math this way, just plug&chug)

Anyway, when I finish my PLC course will I be fucked on learning how to code for a PC? Thx

Going to college to learn any computer related degree is literally a scam.

plc isn't a computer

and i'm not paying for anything so those high up jobs requiring a bachelors well I'm doing a token degree

Don't you use GRAFCET for that?

t. someone who lost a job opportunity to someone with a degree

>plc isn't a computer
way to prove his point

What the fuck it's the current year and people STILL think CS is not the greatest employment opportunity, especially now with Trump?

I don't understand it. Are you guys retarded and can't get jobs and then shit on cs or what?

ladder logic

I'm just wondering on how this would affect my thought process on traditional programming

You're not guaranteed a job with CS anymore.
In fact, you're not even guaranteed a position at any tech company now that H1Bs are being imported en masse and taking all the entry level work for 60k annually.
Since they mail their paychecks back to their family in india, they're basically slaves.
They keep them holed up in designated blocks of apartments up to 6 at a time and they can't quit or seek employment elsewhere without getting deported back to india.

Also, CS is a catch-all for "we don't know what we want but everyone says they CS is booming these days so we need a computational math major to make our CRUD applications. fuck employee training".

No, not in the slightest, if anything you'll be slightly better off

do you have experience with PLC's

Some, not much, I've done a bit of normal programming and stuff and I find that one helps the other

Especially for a beginner, I think that learning to understand how a computer thinks is the important thing, and both programming PLC's and programming in a language like python will achieve this

Kudos on recognising a sector that needs more people, you can't hire industrial electricians and people to work with PLC's because they are all working and are all very well paid

Unfortunately not going to be a Technician, I'm planning on being a Production Engineer, but I don't want to stay in manufacturing forever. Thinking about making the transition into software eventually. Mostly just tired of the bureaucratic bullshit at my plant

~t. automotive industry

>tfw can't tell what you meant by
>you can't hire industrial electricians and people to work with PLC's because they are all working and are all very well paid

Why would anyone hire someone only because a shitty CS degree?

>especially now with Trump?
He is shit for that.

I have a job, though, so...

Jokes on you?

And you are hired only because of CS paper? If yes, HR have been cucked.

Are you well paid and working in the field you studied?
And you're not just some coffee bitch intern?

Gonna try and help you sort your shit out here OP.

So my dad works at a place with PLCs in the machines they use. He says the programmer will drive out and do work on the PLC and then drive to another remote location and fix another. PLCs as you know are used heavily in industry. But I had a conversation 2 or 3 weeks ago with a guy from the hydraulics industry that made me think PLCs are on the way out.

The man I spoke to was in sales for a large hydraulic equipment manufacturer, so they sold equipment to oil & gas industry that was run using PLCs. However, he said that they are making a big move towards microcontrollers like Arduino/Atmel etc. He said that he was even picking up C++ in his spare time so that he could sell the new product better.

Basically that's all I really have for you. When you think about it, the more flexible platform is always going to win out in the long run, and that's definitely microcontrollers.

Perhaps you should be looking into embedded/realtime systems, realtime linux OSs, running realtime systems on rPi, etc.

OK, so now onto the question of whether or not this will affect your ability to program a PC - Well, to be honest, I hope that you can confidently conclude (after thinking it over for yourself) that PLC are in fact on the way out. Once you conclude that PLCs aren't a good focus, you can focus on microcontrollers, knowing full well it's the right focus. Microcontrollers will absolutely contribute to computer programming. You'll have a huge edge.

Also a CS degree is not a bad idea. You have to be the best wherever you go though, you have to work harder than everyone else, you have to network more, take on more projects, etc etc etc but with hard work + degree + portfolio you will be set up to have a sick life in North America

Cheers m8

Kek that image. Woah man i have a car payment worth of student loan and my worthless degree cant pay for it. Lmao must suck to suck

Sounds like you are going in a good direction user, I personally think that doing technical physical jobs is more future proof because you can't outsource it, but software development is and will always be a good industry to work in

What I meant to say is that people who can program PLC's are in high demand by employers

I've been trying to hire an industrial electrician for my facilities management business but there's very few people with the skills, and the salary is very high

ok 1 more thing

So if you are trying to answer the 'which is superior, mc vs plc?' you might think 'plc dominates industry so it must be better' but I think that plc acheived dominance thanks to mc tech not being mature enough to run equipment that handles millions of dollars of product and not fail.

So perhaps now we are coming into a period where mc tech is finally mature enough/robust enough to overtake plc. Thus you're going to want to position yourself ahead of the curve and dig deep into mc if that's the case.

ok... enough of this. OP please do your own critical thinking here and let us know how it goes.

the fuck? EE's have to program PLCs?

Just not wanting to work an off shift mostly. Production engineers basically just plan the lines/setup the equipment from my understanding, so it's like 6 hours floor work/2 hours of office work.

What kind of salary you trying to pay? 1st shift?

I have to take a course on micro controllers as well. Not sure about the future of any of it as I don't even really know anything about it.

How the fuck are PLCs still in use?
We've had reliable and cheap microcontrollers for close to 40 years now.

because industry is slow to adopt new technologies, it's not that complicated.

But I don't get it.
Those PLCs must be running as an emulation layer on top of a microcontroller now, right?

I don't know, let me get back to you in a year when I finish more electronics coursework

Is this a meme major Sup Forums

whoops

>calc I&II
>algebra based physics

top lel what

I'm at a year from graduating from a Electromechanical career. I wanted to use my last year in studying automation, but as I read, focusing in PLC isn't that good. What do you recommended? C++ and mc? Would I be better with robotics?

Industrial electricians do

Setup is one part of the service a production engineering firm would offer, a competitive firm will offer continued support including maintenance and optimisation

For reference the guys who installed our machinery come through through every six months or so, and the electrician we are hiring will be in regular contact with them for technical support, if the past is anything to go by he'll probably have one of their senior technicians on the phone every two or three weeks

For this industrial electrician we'll likely be paying around 70k nzd unless they are really good at negotiating for on call plus a 40 hr week

PLC's are simple, cheap, and you don't have to be a genius to program simple and effective programs for them

PLC's in place today generally run the machinery, and there is often a module on top of it to handle any reporting, passing parameters to the program, etc...

Do it all, srs

what do you think of my degree even though you aren't american

Thank you.

I wouldn't be hiring you for anything other than an apprenticeship with that pos degree

It looks like it's geared more towards teaching design

Maybe you'd fit in more with a business that designs and manufactures things like large machinery, if I were you I'd look at what they are hiring before pulling the trigger

>pos degree
>300k starting

>people STILL think CS is not the greatest employment opportunity
Accounting....

Accounting

>hurr durr durr it's not my fault I borrowed a lot of money durrrrrrrr

Shouldn't he be learning C, since that is what microcontrolers use?