Impossibly Hard Challenge

Try to find a USB to USB in your house. No, not a USB to Micro USB, not a USB to Mini USB, not a USB to square USB. Find even a single one of these fucking cables that has the same on both sides. You can't. I need one and I've searched through a dozen boxes of cables and this cable simply does not exist.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb to usb
amazon.com/Generic-Super-Feet-Male-Cable/dp/B000BSJFFC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shut the fuck up OP

>2016
>still using cables

Just cut off the micro USB end and splice on a full USB plug. The wire colors should be the same so just match them up and you're good to go

You are literally retarded. Kill yourself.

I have 2.

Shit, one is even usb 3.

I'm going to do this. Thanks.

Liar. Image in OP is probably photoshopped.

I did this when I lost my cable for my cooler master mkb, it worked

I have one too from an external drive.

the struggle is real

I have one that looks like it is but it actually has a notch in one side. Fucking retarded.

Both ends are type A.

99.999999997% of the time, if someone says they need a "USB to USB", they actually need something else.

The ONLY situation that this works is with certain types of data transfer software, and they need special drivers to do this.

If you're trying to connect two devices by their USB ports, you've made a mistake and need to rethink your problem.

Usb A to Usb A is in violation of the USB Specification friendo

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb to usb

found it with some old shit tier external harddrive

R A R E

If you had asked me this 5 min ago, I would have answered "Absolutely". But after looking through my USB bin, sorting through about 40 different cables, this is as close as I've got.

I can't really think what I'd need a Male A to Male A for anyway though.

I have a USB A to USB A cable, I only bought them to cut it apart and use it to make 120mm fans into USB fans for cooling my laptop

A crossover Ethernet cable is the proper solution for simple data transfer between 2 PCs

the drive

Absolutely. But there are shitty software solutions that require their proprietary "USB to USB" cable.

Every tech store I've worked for so far wants us to use their crappy pain in the ass software, of course I just throw it in the trash and do it the easy way.

Does this count?

Just cut up 2 USB cables and patch the wires together to make a USB A to USB A, nothing can possible go wrong

USB 3 cable pulled from an inatech hard drive enclosure.

>crossover Ethernet cable
I know what you mean, but grandpa, those are not required anymore. Yes, even the cheapest modern motherboards can detect what you are connecting to it and will automatically crossover your cable.
I even set a system like this up yesterday, using just a normal ethernet cable.

BUT DO YOU HAVE A DIAL UP MOUSE!

crossover isn't even needed anymore

This, but it doesn't mean such cable doesn't exist. Also checked.

Clearly you don't have people bring you old ass dells that they're upgrading

I have several in my cables drawer, why?

No, I'm not mentally retarded.

I've got some serial mice, but not a fucking masterpiece of a thing as that.

Well, it's not like they have been obsolete for long. I remember using a crossover cable for my Xbox 360 to avoid buying the expensive wifi adapter, but I don't know when they became obsolete for PCs.

You can't find one because it's not standard for any kind of protocol. Some very weird scenarios and hacks might call for it, but there are not enough of them to sell the cable in any kind of numbers.

I actually needed one of these a while back because I wanted to be able to use a PC to emulate a flash drive for my blu-ray player. I was going to create a virtual drive on my PC that would hold movies and let my blu-ray player connect to it through a flat USB to flat USB cable. I assume there was such a program readily available to do it, but it actually doesn't exist.

Like, 8 years ago or something?

I have one in my box of cables right now. Bought it in a lot of cables and computers online a couple months ago :^)

Is the Model M good?

USB-A to USB-A connectors aren't supposed to exist because it goes against the standard. It's like trying to find a 3-prong plug to 3-prong plug power cord. It's shouldn't exist. USB-A for downstream host, USB-B for upstream device so there's no mistake on which side supplies the power and all that good stuff...

But they exist anyways because LOL FUCK YO STANDARDS!!!1

I have one. So what?

my newer external drive came with one of those. has two on one side for power.

I had one of those like 10 years ago for a garden tool. I never understood why it was done like that.

Presumably the company went out of business when enough people plugged them into both power sockets and blew up their houses.

I have one, it came with a USB hard drive enclosure.

>male to male
Have you told your parents yet?

So you're a faggot, that's what.

How is this rare exactly? Some external HDD cases use them and so do some touch screen monitors.

I like it a lot, but playing osu on it kills my fingers.

?

A male to male cable?
amazon.com/Generic-Super-Feet-Male-Cable/dp/B000BSJFFC

UNIVERSAL Serial Bus
>normal
>micro
>mini
>square
>slim with a notch
>some other crappy special format licensed for special snowflake cameras
>male/female
>upside/downside

UNIVERSAL

My mech keyboard uses male to male usb. What's wrong with that?

I bet uxwbill took this pic.

Don't forget purple, the third state of USB that can never be directly observed! 50% chance that the first time you try to plug a USB cable in blindly, it is purple. Flipping it makes it upside down, flipping again gets it right. Upon visual observation, USB connectors immediately change to one of the other two states.

The serial bus is universal, because it does everything. Doesn't say anything about the plug.

I have external hdd that uses that. Its been tempting, all these years and still didnt connect two computers together with it.

That's not how those things works.

Good point. Thx didn't even think about it that way, even though Im actually old enough to have hassled with old serial, centronix, game port quite a bit.

i have one. i've always wanted to try connecting 2 computers through it but too afraid to do so.

I have one I bought from coles for a project that didnt work out in the end

I also have one that came with my HTC Vive

I've got one, but shit if I remember what it came with. I hold onto it incase I ever need it.

USB is designed to be host-to-device, and connecting two computers would be host-to-host, so the voltages involved could indeed damage the computers.

There are special cables that allow a USB PC-PC connection, but these have electronics in the middle of the line, so the connection is more host-device-host, and requires special software.

It's not supposed to exist, and it only exists for the purpose of shitty nigger tier chink shit external hard drives.

I have one for a shitty Chinese battery pack branded "Ducati" i got for free and my gf has one for an external speaker she bought in england. I hate them, devices like these which use a USB-A plug to get 5V are dangerous and these cables should not be sold

I use one for my keyboard

I have one for my old CM laptop stand. It has a fan that's powered by usb so it came with a usb to usb cable.

Holy shit that's dangerous as fuck, only time I saw an active male plug was in the country at a Friend's grandpa's house and it was handmade, europe so 220V, the old man clearly didn't know a shit about electricity.

Oh and OT, he even tried to explain me how to turn on a fire. Giving me old furniture's wood. With paint on it. To cook meat.
Shit, he was definitively trying to kill us

don't forget you're dumb as fuck

the plastic connector side on the usb cable ALWAYS face away from the way you're plugging it in

literally common sense and you can plug it in properly every time

except you're just a reddit meme spouting le epic intel advert faggot just kill yourself

The Vive link box connects to the PC with this, USB 3 flavor A male to A male

>turn on a fire

nothing. a lot of keyboards use it.

Not an English speaker and in my language we use the same word for fires and engines so sorry, you got it

>and in my language

>being this tolerant

I have one, used it the other day to connect an external hdd to my laptop.

"OT"?

That is a samsung galaxy usb cable my friend.

I found like 3 of these yesterday when I wanted a hdmi cable. Still didn't find that cable I'm using a goddamn vga now.

Damn you OP, how did you know I needed one?

In my defense, I can say that's only the case with chink shit that's not USB compliant anyway, because USB-A is only meant for host devices, not clients (hence why USB-B and its mini/micro variants exists)

USB Micro-B 3.0 to USB A 3.0.

Have one, actually, it's for Asus' ROG Connect shit which has a specific port for it on the motherboard, and can plug into your laptop.

I have one for an external HDD. Sometimes I plug both ends on my laptop just for shit and giggles.

I'll do you one better. Got that, AND a bunch of M2F

Extension

>implying all USB ports you encounter ever will be facing up

I would like one but I feel like it's too loud.

>USB male to USB male

WHY OP?

Lol I have one
Its old but sometimes its useful

What's the use case, dumbdumb?

Yeah, I think I have about two USB-A-M to USB-A-M cables around here somewhere.

They're probably not all that common anymore because for the past few years USB-micro has dominated on mobile devices.

Plus, it seems like most of the printers/scanners/monitors/etc. either use USB-B on one end, or else the USB cable is permanently attached.

I think they might have realized that if they continued to encourage the proliferation of A-M to A-M cables, people might be tempted to do stupid things like try to plug both ends into the two USB-A-F host ports on two different computers, or connect their PC straight to their monitor's USB-A-F bezel convenience port. So I think they may have deliberately tried to avoid that by putting something other than a USB-A-M connector on the device side of the cable.

I get the impression that they didn't really have all the consumer-idiocy-proof concepts all completely thought out at the time they originally came out with USB, and that the industry kind of had to figure all that out over time.

One came with my laptop cooling pad.

>Usb Master to Usb Master
Are you retarded user?

Because OP is a faggot.

FPBP

I have one that came with my monitor for the USB hub.

no actually I think that's micro usb type b, I have a lacie external hard drive with that same cable and it was from long before the galaxy s5 was out

Best Buy sells them.