Windows rot

Why dose windows rot over time?
It literally will slows down over time and get more shit.
mister errors that till make some programs impossible to run.

Every instance of windows degenerates in a different way.

Whats up with this why dose this even happen?
Do the log files chock the system over time who is constantly recording everything?

Is this intensional or is Ms this level of incompetent?

Where are you from OP?

> Whats up with this why dose this even happen?

Gimme that dose.

this level of incompetent.
but really, the os is 20 years old, it's not only rotting for you but for MS as well

and really, ALL os rot. Some os can be stopped like linux or bsd, some os rot slower like os x

>some os rot slower like os x
This. My dock used up all of my RAM, and it basically rendered the computer unusable until I reinstalled Mac OS X.

Do you normies really believe this shit? Please tell me you're joking.

It has many design flaws. It's basically made to be reinstalled at least once in 2 years.

I'm curious if ppl with SSDs and good CPUs noitice this as well.

>dose

>Mega stable rotless Debian shitposting machine

>mfw rock solid 10.4/9.2.2 dual boot that has been cloned between 4 computers now with no issues

An SSD, plenty of RAM, and a good CPU will keep Windows fast, but that's not really what Windows rot damages. An installation that's been used heavily over many years doesn't get slow, it gets quirky. You run into odd problems and strange error messages. Something that should Just Werk(tm) doesn't, and it isn't clear why, or what broke it.

Windows used to rot really quickly. You kids that never had to deal with Win95 don't know how lucky you are. It still rots, it just does it rather more slowly now. Linux *can* rot, but a.) it takes a bleeding age (over a decade), and b.) it happens because you accumulate strange dotfiles and such that used to do something useful but are now just junk, and eventually something trips over them. It's fairly easy to keep an installation clean enough that it doesn't rot.

- Don't install garbage software
- Don't use virtual memory (swap)
- Ccleaner regularly
- Defrag once a month

Never had any issues after years of usage. I have a Win 7 installation from 2009 on a retired desktop, works normally.

Did you guys ever try TronScript?

I have seen installed software screenshots posted here, it makes me want to cut myself.

Most people have multiple versions of Visual C++ and useless software which they don't clean up. After installing/removing repeatedly, the registry becomes a clusterfuck. Many people have 50 applications on startup and use memory leak add-ons on Firefox.

Then turn around and blame Windows for slowing down. A normal shitposter using Windows 10 with 8GB ram should never experience any problems if they do regular maintenance.

Fucking this, "Windows rot" is just an excuse for stupid assholes that fill their PCs with shit and then blame MS for their incompetence. Same with Android when people complain about crappy battery life, then it turns out they've installed 10,000 crapps running in the background doing god knows what.

still on my 2010 install of windows 7. it rots if you install tons of crapware, its fine if you keep a clean house

The easiest trick is to create a new user account. Then just migrate your files.

When you make a new account, the %appdata% folder is reset and all software and shortcuts are created new with default settings.

Fixed so many problems for me.

I'm keepping it minimal and what I've noticed is that updates pushed to software particularly to Windows itself cripples my old computer the most.

it's before apple turned to trash.
One of the worst offenders is Spotlight. Also pre-unix is hardly affected.

I reset PC with every new cumulative update on Windows 10 as it is basically a version upgrade if you look carefully.

That way when you update it again, it only installs one cumulative update with required fixes instead of multiple ones overriding each other.

keeping portable apps instead of installing them also helps apparently

Is there something better than CCleaner for cleaning your registry? And how do you guys maintain your Windows installation folder tidy? Once shit ends up there it stays there.

i've never used a registry fixer, i have doubts about their effectiveness. I occasionally clean out winsxs to keep the size in check

Windows 10 is an exception as MS upgrade model is broken as fuck and they intentionally push bloatware on to your PC. Protip don't use Windows 10.

Seriously. These kids don't know how good they have it. I remember reinstalling windows ME literally at least once a week. 95/98 were naturally a bit better, but they don't even compare to Windows these days.

remember 2003 would get nimda within a few minutes of install

I booted off the same tired recovery floppy so many times the casing broke.

Registry bloat. Saving files on the desktop. Those are two reasons I'm aware of for slow loading times. I use CCleaner for the former and avoid the latter.

Oh, forgot to mention monitoring the startup programs. CCleaner has a quick tool for disabling unwanted programs from loading at startup.

Yeah, already using Windows 7 but the same still applies.

Lol you guys are just retarded.

Windows running slow? Use resource monitor to find the issue.

Having an error? Use the error log to find the exact problem and then Google it.

Program being buggy? Just reset that program's settings.

I've reinstalled XP so many times back in he day, and it many times the problems would come back. I decided to actually fix the OS and now I haven't reinstalled my OS in over 10 years. It runs perfectly fine.

No shit.

Win7 laptop story.
Used for gaming, was able to run MK9 now it fails to load it.

Win7 was able to play a give away game now i get the mystery error
>There is no arial font can not start this game
The fuck?

It was only used to start steam.

>steam
found your botnet

Why do most error messages end up being there because od missing/corrupted Windows dlls? How does that even happen?

This is simply not true since at least windows 8.1

I have 2+ year old w8.1 installation with tons of installed stuff and customizations

Every time I try clean install I don't notice any speed boost at all and for that reason I always end up reverting to my old OS install via clonezilla backup

This is wrong.
My music player dose not rot after I play to many music files.
My image viewer dose not rot if I view to many images.

So why in the name of tux dose a OS rot?
This only says
>retards wrote this

If you can't notice it doesn't mean it's not true friend.

Yes this is the best why dose Loonix not have all apps portable ?

Like why?

>compares an operating system to an image viewer

poorly written uninstallers can accidentally delete files multiple programs use.
the more programs you install and then uninstall the higher risk of this happening.

You would think this is what the windows registry is for but nope.

>dose instead of does
someone hasn't taken their dose of 'tism pills

Sad, really.

The fun fact is that you can write a OS that will never rot.

With little brain smarts its possible.
Try making all the apps portable so the don't damage the OS for starters.

Also what is so different between opening a image and executing a program?
Both are loaded into RAM.

windows slows down because caches & registries grow in size.

think of it like this:

it's obvious when to create something: right when you need it.

but when do you delete it?

>Completely retarded OS model.
So there is the problem.
This is on the same level like giving every executable super administrator permission and making it greater then the actual user administrator.

For more retardation why not let every program have read/write to system RAM and the OS directory.

MS is retarded the OS should keep track of what is where and all the installer can do is say
>install me!
And the OS decides how to place the files.
After the uninstaller says
>remove me!
The OS looks up where the OS put the files and removes every single one of them.

>apps
;^] baited, heh! U got me xp so smart

If you got anything useful to say then say it, ebin fug.

Yet running all programs like
portableapps.com
is the solution you nigger! To your endless:
>We don't have any idea how to do things a different way.

>Microsoft
>well and optimzed

Not happening unfortunately.

Ccleaner is good but for this is shit.
Go for Autoruns if you need to.

The only solution like always is to format the OS and do a fresh install every year.

Before I did a fresh install of 10 I ran my w7 install for like 6 years and didn't have that problem. And I had all sorts of shit installed too

The question is did you notice a improvement after formating.

I'm saying formating not some windows build in update OS function.

>wretched, miserable gook calling me a nigger

If you think that'll remedy the OS rot you're fooling yourself, kiddo. It'll help but not fix it.

: }

This thread is actually super fun to read. Not knowing what goes behind the scenes because it's proprietary makes people superstitious.

Linux has rot too but it doesn't seem to effect performance as bad as on windows.

On linux its more cruft really, Sometimes when you uninstall a program it leaves behind config files and empty folders.

Pretty sure all the data mining wrecks the performance as a cherry on top. Something like Blackbird Script could help.

Its a start.

you remind me of all the professors from programing, idiots really they did think writing

for(int i=0;;i++)
{
cout

>Sometimes when you uninstall a program it leaves behind config files and empty folders

And the only bad thing about that is some unclaimed kilobytes.

>if(i%3==0){cout

never argued that Loonis or Unix/Eunuch is any good.
If the devs took full responsibility for their code instead of the
>Disclaimer of Warranty.

>THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

Just do i=0; i< buffer_limit; i++

You're cute, I'll give you that. ;-»
Tough luck, I won't fuck you in the stinker like you did to pass college, damn cross-dressing twink.

will you quit babbling
while(1) cout

Mine is better.

Its required to display same number of columns of x for ever.

my code works perfectly, for ever their will work and collapse and have weird shit.

These clowns are teaching this, and even if you show them their mistake they are
>Right, Right, Right
And learn nothing.

If these clowns where taken to responsibility only a handful of executions of the dev team later OS crashes would be a thing of the past.

>at least once in 2 years

i reinstall at least every 2 months

You not only need programming lessons but most importantly English lessons.

Sorry i did not make it clear, the number of columns needs to be user defined.

So instead of a 3 you will have a y variable.
I used 3(a number) to illustrate the idiocy.

>You not only need programming
To be a shit dev who writes crap code?
I think not.
Also little programmer can you explain why your program will stop after the buffer limit? Mine works forever.

>Pajeets not keeping their feces of """code""" to their general

Not sure when that image was made but updates on OS X have been free since Mavericks.

BUFFER LIMIT!

MUH BUFFER LIMIT!

BOW DOWN TO MUH BUFFARZ

fuck off, you poopoo indian

We get it Rajesh, you're so deep in your ass digging for dat fine poo that going off topic and turning this thread a designated shiting street doesn't matter to you.

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Why would Chrome rot?

It keeps crashing pages when I expand images even though it is fine if I open the image-file in a new tab and even though enough RAM is available.

Actually this was a simple example of fucking up.

Especially love the Sup Forumsman who submitted a version that fuckes up do to veritable limitations.

This is why Os are crap and rot.
If the programmers think like this, and fuck up on the simple examples can you imagine how hard they fuck up in writing OSs?

MUH BUFFARZ!!!!

BUFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRZZZZZZZ

>tfw it doesn't matter what OS or device I use as I reinstall/reflash/hard reset it every 6 months
autism is great

I haven't had a windows blot problem in years. I've used the same install of Windows 7 for 4 years with very little slow down.

That's okay, but next time read what you write and be less full of yourself. Yeah, M$' priority right now is anything but making a good OS.

hows ur buffer limits tho?

i'm just wondering

Is it just me or defragmenting almost does nothing? Using an HDD and Defragler.

ur buffers would overflow bro

meh... I've been running the same install of Win7 since 2012 on this laptop. Everything works the same as it did when I first reinstalled it. I can run the same number of VMs witht he same performance, my DAW software runs the same, games run the same, the only issue I have is web browsing and that's because IE, Firefox, and Opera are all shitty and stupidly will consume so much memory they end up shitting all over themselves (this happens across all of my Windows machines and VMs so this is clearly a software issue).

Maybe stop visiting deepweb loli sites and getting infected with NSA spyware? Just a thought.

Great quality thread.

>Most people have multiple versions of Visual C++

I thought about uninstalling a lot of these but really when I looked up if it was safe pretty much everyone told me the same thing about how you really shouldn't unless you're absolutely certain that other software isn't relying on old versions.

Really though, I have 20 different versions of that shit and I don't really notice any serious problems in Windows 8.1

Wasn't windows supposed to work out of the box?

Hi! It looks like you're trying to moderate :D

Unfortunately, the programmers that wrote this call integer size "buffer limit" and #$%#$$#@^$%&%^&$%^&%^$------------BSOD.DLL

Name one thing in life that runs perfectly for years.

>Whats up with this why dose this even happen?
Because, once a week microsoft releases multiple patches that modify many system files. It doesn't remove the original files from side by side because some older programs might need them. It keeps copies of every old file in case you remove the update. It then installs the update. This fragments the OS like you wouldn't believe and causes windows rot.

Windows updates, not even once.

try harder next time buddy

An old Nokia phone.

>Don't use virtual memory
This is how I know you're a retard

>deepweb loli sites

It's expensive, now that's a problem.

Lmfao do u know how computers work