AMD APU on Linux?

How is the linux support for AMD APUs?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

same as radeon GPUs AFAIK

so, good stable maintained FOSS drivers, but lackluster opengl perf

It will work, but AMD APUs are shit no matter the OS

t. 5800k owner

Seconded.
The 7850k was a moderate performance boost on the GPU, but there was no good reason to upgrade past that.

Once Zen comes out, I'm making a new non-apu build and moving the 7850 to my windows streaming rig.

So, can i install and run Ubuntu (with KDE) without any problem on my 7650k?

agreed, tossed my 7850k for a 5820k and haven't looked back once.

Bump

My r9 390x is a fucking mess with basically any drive under Linux :(

Lmao okay.

My 7650k gives me ~35-40fps in gta V at 1080p, low with some settings like fxaa and tessellation turned up. I somehow doubt a 7850k could perform worse than that.

>I somehow doubt a 7850k could perform worse than that
Me too, do you think I said that anywhere or are you just making up things to seem relevant?

Nah.
Just saying, since I'm pretty happy with my 7650k and you pretty much said the 7850k was trash.

You can't really beat this value m8. Got my A8 for 108 aud 2 months ago and it's been great.
What made you feel the need to upgrade? Just curious.

I got my 7850k with a motherboard for $110
At that price it was fine because I just needed a computer at all. But once I had some money saved up for a new computer I dumped that garbage and got intel, the single core performance is massive compared to AMD, and for any serious CPU work it is 200-300% faster.

>200% faster
Yeah, but why did you NEED that? You're not answering the question.

>APU

That was so pathetic.

Intel: Here's a CPU with an integrated GPU.
Public: Cool, now we can save $$$ on budget systems. Thanks!

(Five years later)

AMD: Here's a CPU with an integrated GPU.
Public: Yeah, we kinda expected that from you guys eventually.
AMD: No, really, we created something special -- it's called an "APU".
Public: WTF are you talking about?
AMD: "APU" is our special way of combining a CPU and a GPU.
Public: Big fucking deal. Intel has that already.
AMD: No, it really is a big deal!! See, it has the new name "APU"!!!
Public: Give me a fucking break.
AMD: But the "APU" is what makes it special and unique!!
Public: Go away.
AMD: Intel doesn't have an "APU". We do. That's why we're better!!
Public: Just shut the fuck up already, you retard.

Regarding the Linux question yes Intel integrated GPU are better than whatever AMD APU ships with.

Despite being a lot weaker Intel provides working drivers so it so it's really a "plug and play" type of experience

Encoding DVD and bluray collection.

I've got about 25TB at the moment.

>why did you NEED a better computing performance

But an APU is actually different from a cpu with an igpu. It can utilize all available compute cores if the program is developed to take advantage of that

>NEED
amd poorfags now have to rely on communism for making a point

>APU
>APOO

>HSA is dead and gone and they're just going to push single core CPU performance now that they have decent single cores again thanks to Keller

I feel bad for AMDrones. How long have they been waiting for their multithreaded GPU accelerated future now? And then AMD backstabs them and their space heaters are useless in the end.

>multithreaded GPU accelerated future
I don't think that's going away. Single threaded performance increases are bottoming out for everyone.

And it makes sense to buy an eight core processor for gaming because the PS4 and Xbox One will both force developers to multithread their games because of the weak 8 core CPUs in them, right? Right?

Hurry up and abandon Absolutely Mediocre Devices products already.

Yeah, no. I'm not saying buy FX processors. I think you misunderstood. I'm just saying that the days of demanding software running on one or two threads is coming to an end out of necessity as gains in single threaded performance start to plateau.

Of course it doesn't make sense to buy an FX CPU now, although it is kind of ironic that we are starting to see some long overdue results in which the multithreaded capabilities of the FX series can actually be utilized by DX12 games and the like.

Bump for this

>I'm just saying that the days of demanding software running on one or two threads is coming to an end out of necessity

You can't thread everything, single core performance will always be more important.

Oh look, pissphones came back

APU? More like A P-U!

support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

You're fucking welcome

Using the A6 APU in a laptop. Its Radeon R4 graphics running with whatever drivers that came out of the box. Shit handles 1080p videos just fine, no problems at all. Also all hardware works well without and need to install drivers. Distro is Xubuntu

Dont expect too much from stock graphic drivers though, while they're not too good, they're pretty decent since i could play Dishonored on low in wine (these are the drivers that shipped with Xubuntu, so pretty okay i guess)

7000/9000 series have AMDGPU support (GCN 1.1/1.3), so with AMDGPU-PRO, you'll have full opengl/vulkan support.

yes but that combination is called neon

>AMD APUs are shit no matter the OS
I bought a laptop with one for my girlfriend a few years back. I liked it for her needs and was hoping that AMD would really revolutionize the concept but it's nothing special even a few years later. Damn shame, I really liked the concept. I guess there's no real replacement for a nice CPU and a nice GPU independent of one another.

AMD everything on Linux is terrible.

t. Intel shill

Yea but why? At some point you are just spending money on stuff that only serves to make your epeen bigger. You'll only ever use so much power.

No it isn't if people actually started utilising cores well.

I have two of them, their Linux support is very good.

If you want good graphics performance, memory bandwidth is everything. Get the highest clock speed and fastest timings the chip will run and make damn sure you're using both channels. Single channel RAM kneecaps the graphics cores hard.

>You'll only ever use so much power
are you like 15 or something?

People were saying the same shit when Pentium 3 came out.

You'll NEVER need more than 128MB RAM!