New Zen processor thread

New Zen processor thread.

Also looking to get questions answered.

Since mainboards come out in february, which DDR4 Ram should i buy. I've read somewhere it only supports 2400mhz Ddr4 ram kits and not higher. Is it true?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

an intel 6700k only technically supports ddr4 1866 and 2133mhz, but you can just overclock the integrated memory controller and run your RAM at it's rated speeds (I run mine at 3200MHz)

I assume AMD will allow a similar level of overclocking for the memory controller.

Bristol ridge boards cap at 2400, but those aren't for Zen. I don't think they released memory info for the next line yet

couldn't you just get ram of any speed, lock it to 2400mhz and try to get the lowest CL possible. Still it must be set manually unless they support XMP or you get an stick with AMP, kind like way back with DDR2 and core2duo's...i still remember those cheap gskills value that could do almost by default a CL4 800mhz profile, make a 1:1 FSB:DRAM ratio to put the FSB to 400mhz on a P45/X38/X48 to get a easy 19% OC like it was stock).

those are lowest of the bunch, will see what actual zen boards be like
If 2400 is hard limit it would be kind of worthless to upgrade from ddr3

I hope that zen won't be fucking expensive. I actually want to buy a new pc next year since my current one is already 6+ years old and can barely play sc2 (it was a prebuilt one..). I want to build a pc in the "medium" pricerange (aka 500-600 bucks) but I somehow doubt that zen will be cheap enough for that.

Dont buy anything before its released idiot

doesn't hurt to buy faster memory.

DDR4 prices are rising. Buying now could be a good idea.

New zen processors will cost 250$ and 350$ afaik

>no quad channel
Dropped.

If you need up to 8 channels worth of bandwidth, step up to their naples opteron line.

>placebo

What are channels for?

looking forward to bent pins?

The computer can read and write to multiple memory sticks at once

they just couldn't afford the R&D for a proper LGA socket, cant they?

If you manage to bend the pins you are too retarded to build your own computer

This.

Plus it's not like ddr5 is going to come out any time soon...

Wait till it comes out fucktard

LGA is a shit, PGA just slots in effortlessly, no crunching down

Bump for intrests

>Since mainboards come out in february

where did you hear this? I'm lazily searching for info on am4 and didn't find anything yet, except for that new horizon banner and one gigabyte trace/proto board.

And i'm trying to slowly buy the components over time for a future upgrade and I almost the trigger on a 32000mhz kit on sale but decided to wait for specs. Probably gonna start with the psu and ssd, and work my way on this after the final specs are released.

ram oc on amd is far worse than on intel.
probably because am3 is 10 years old by now.
maybe it'll change with am4.

i already bought a stick 16GB 3000mhz because of discount coupon.

Who gives a shit if it's LGA or PGA. If you manage to bend pins on the CPU you have to actually be retarded.

Dude its AMD they're going to have a budget option. Most likely a lower binned 4 core. The only question is if Zen turns out good, will they be able to keep vendors from charging more than mrsp, like they did with Polaris.

This. AMD should just sell their own graphics cards at MSRP. I'll take a blower style factory card at MSRP at launch please.

Bump

>probably because am3 is 10 years old by now.
they still don't have pcie 3.0, m2 and other new shiny things
I wouldn't compare am3 to am4

what actually worries me is memory controller is not done by amd, intel struggled with that as well there were some problems

I also would love to buy some RAM, but it's risky due to unknown overclocking capabilities

Last rumor about ddr5 I heard was 2024 or something crazy like that, same with pci-e 4.0.

now buy another one, do you know how dual channel work?

I'm okay with a budget CPU from amd if it uses the new zen architecture. As long as it doesn't suck balls.

Where is jenny

Gigabyte has a 990fx motherboard with usb c and an m.2.
I'm pretty sure the m.2 just uses a couple pcie lanes, but I'm not sure how they got the usb c port on there but it looks like it only supports the single on on the I/O in the rear.

In my bed

>but I'm not sure how they got the usb c port on there
same way they got 3.0 on sandy
I have only two 3.0 ports, board from mid 2011

>2000+16
>pins still on cpu side

I wonder what's gonna happen with Zen APUs since DDR4 has a huge mhz increase. I mean 3200mhz ddr4 + zen apu would be decent medium gaymen pc

ZEN doesn't have a APU

Wrong.
Raven Ridge platform.

Amd is lying, they will probably not even support USB 3.1 so why do you believe you will have DDR4 ? Also, look at these sockets, looks like early 2000s sockets.

bent the pins on my cpu yesterday
no bulli pls

>ayymd still has pins on their CPUs
>almost 2017

Its multitrack drifting for the RAM

>t. Intel shill in defence mode since Kaby Lake will be DOA

Bump

>thread
>not starting 16 threads at once
come on

Only supports windows 10, you nerds are toast.

>still not LGA
dropped

why does this even matter? this thing will spend 99.99% of its lifespan sitting tightly inside its socket

the only people to whom this makes a significant difference are probably ORM employees who make prebuilts all day

there's just no significant advantage to LGA. best to keep motherboards easy to manufacture.

What are the chances of a Zen part as good or better than a stock 3570k, but with a top under 50W?

it's plausible. I would expect its single core perf to be better than Ivy Bridge at least.

the 8c/16t Zen chip has a TDP of 95w at full load. half the cores won't necessarily mean half the power draw though.

Slim to Nil for the desktop. You'll likely see a 4 core at 65w .

Bring on the 4 core mobile Zen APUs with HBM. For 95w TDP.

>easily bent motherboard pins vs larger processor mounted pins
>isn't careful around electronics
>manhandles his components

>being a incompetent fuck
Who gives a shit how the CPU and motherboard are held together?
You literally put it in the socket once and never look at it again.

Will there finally be mini-itx motherboards for AMD?

if it sells and becomes popular enough

Hopefully there's something at launch, cause I don't know about the other user, but if there's not mITX boards available Zen is worthless to me

not 500$ and 350$?

not the guy you replied too, but some rumors are:
>500USD 8c/16t
>350USD 8c/16t (same chip as the 500USD model but clocked lower. knowing AMD, most of these will overclock to the same speeds as the more expensive versions)
>250USD 6c/12t (binned 8 core chips that has issues with 1 or 2 cores)
>200USD 4c/8t (the "console killer" CPU of choice)

Bump

where did you get that info from?

I really want a decent specced budget cpu and I wouldn't mind getting an amd one if it's on par with intels cpus.

shit was expensive, maybe later after i bought ryzen + motherboard and sold my intel.

>i still remember those cheap gskills value that could do almost by default a CL4 800mhz profile, make a 1:1 FSB:DRAM ratio to put the FSB to 400mhz on a P45/X38/X48 to get a easy 19% OC like it was stock).

The bog standard Kingston sets in 2006 allowed me to do at least 40% overclock with 1:1 FSB:DRAM ratio on a GA-P35-DS3 with an E6550. However, it required me to boost the voltage on the cpu, so I had it running on a more comfortable 30% - from 2.3ghz to 3.05ghz, on stock voltage.

And the chip ran like that for 6 years, 24/7.

No wonder Intel purposefully axed overclocking support after that.

>500 USD
This is not allowed. I will never buy anything AMD again if they seriously think they can pull this shit.

?

>comparable to $1000 Haswell-E
>lower TDP
>with DDR4 and a plethora of newer features
>half the price
>WTF HOW DARE AMD TRY THIS!

You're retarded, my nigga.

They need to make money. If Zen is actually competative they aren't going to give the chips away for free. A 6900k comparable chip is going to be 60-80% of the price of a 6900k. That would still be 200-400 dollars cheaper, AMD needs to have a high price chip that is competative. There are too many retards who will not buy a Zen chip if it's 'too cheap' despite being as good or better than what ever Intel has. Mindshare is a bitch.

This. That guy is a fucking retard.

>HOW DARE AMD TRY TO MAKE MONEY

>misspell competitive twice

Is there a reason why there needs to be 3rd parties for gpus?

pga does not feel like you are breaking it, lga does.

lga makes motherboards more expensive, pgs does not make cpus more expensive.

buy the ram in feb, dingbat.
you can buy faster ram, just lower the latency.

Where did this February release day for motherboards come from?

I hope we get a mid January release with at least a few quality mITX boards.

what difference does it make after the 2 minutes you spend installing it?

it's not a misspell if he thinks it's right.

they are not 3rd parties. they are partners.

it makes your mobo cost more
while the cpu costs more too because greed, yaaay.

>amd still stuck pentium 4 tier socket type

It's clearly the superior socket type, leads to cheaper motherboards

and more expensive processors then?

I've also never heard of a PGA style socket having bending issues

but then the cpu (which is the more valuable component) can get bent pins you insufferable retard

Not for AMD unless Zen is actually good

Which only happens if you're retarded, and even then it's fixable

youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA

If you're the sort of retard who bends pins on a CPU then having an LGA board isn't likely to save you from some other calamity in the next hour of your build.

intel > amd

your shitty zen won't have shit on even mid-range intel cpus

gtfo kid Sup Forums is 18+

It's already shown itself to be relatively on par with broadwell-E, if they offer 6 core/12 thread CPUs at the $250-300 price range intel will be fucked

>LEAKED: AMD RYZEN Zen Summit Ridge CPU Benchmarked, Likely Matches Capabilities of Intel Core i7-7700K and i7-6900K
lel an 8 core chip matches a 4 core chip in very specific multithreaded benchmarks

Intel won't be fucked. They'll just have to match prices or release better CPUs to justify higher prices. Basically this is good for everyone.

Looking forward to a repeat of the times when AMD was actually giving intel a run for its money (or completely raping them like they did in the earlier athlon yesteryear era)

they were putting it against an 8 core 16 thread chip with it's turbo boost on, even if it's 10% slower it's far better than the 40-50% IPC difference with their current stuff

>AMD RYZEN ZEN 8 Core / 16 Thread CPU Benchmarked – On Par With Intel’s Core i7-6900K, Clocked at 3.4 GHz+ at 95W, Stellar IPC Gains
lmfao 95W and only "on par" with 6900k in an extremely specific benchmark (not applicable for games or most other applications) like blender

Handbrake and Blender.

what the fuck are you talking about?

those are highly multithreaded applications, you will not get the same multi-core usage in your minecraft and overwatch kiddie games

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

Nice projecting, austist.
Its a comparison between 8c/16t chips. The Zen core arch's serial IPC isn't terribly far behind intel's current core i arch.

i'll be mildly interested when AMD's single-core performance is on par with intel's 4c/8t chips