Virtual machine

What's the best vm to run a windows guest on a Linux host? I'm currently using virtual box and the audio sounds horrid. That's after I tried ricing it out.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU
murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61321
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anything but virtualbox

>2017 - 10 days
>still using virtual machines
5mh 2bh f4m

And what I'm I supposed to use then?

A secondary machine. What are you, poor?

google the filename of the post you replied to

this

get a cheap thinkpad

qemu+kvm

this with -vga qxl and spice

T H I S
H
I
S

Just read the wikibook and enjoy near native performance en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU

Side question: has win10 been cracked or do I need to go with win7 for my vms?

You mean as in an "installation key"?

Anyway, you could probably search tpb, see if there is an iso with striped updates and never connect your vm to the network, or pass everything from the vm through a filter, if you know how.

there's a kms authenticator like there was for w7

buy a mac and buy windows parallels and then run mint in a .pvm

#!/bin/bash
# Author: svchost
# Date: 08.27.2016
# Purpose: QEMU script to install from CD
# License: GPLv3

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2G -hda "$1" -cdrom "$2" -boot d
and
#!/bin/bash
# Author: svchost
# Date: 08.27.2016
# Purpose: QEMU script for loading a virtual machine
# License: GPLv3

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2G -hda "$1"

>inb4 the comments are longer than the script
yes they are ;^)

Tack on some virt manager with qxl and you've got it going

Qemu-kvm with vga passthrough. Works for OS X quests too.

>virt manager
thank you based red hat gods

unnecessary when aqemu exists, then again unnecessary when you can just use the console

disgusting

Virtualbox for general usage. KVM/QEMU for resource intensive tasks

VMware player
it's free if you register an email

Very interested in this.
I don't want to install VM on my OS and was thinking of using puppy to install it to, then use it to run Windows guest on top of puppy linux host.

The issue, is the RAM overhead.
Which would be better?
VMware? VirtualBox? QEMU?

>virt-manager
>using awkward UI when you could just make a script to launch everything with one button

I tried using spice because I wanted copy and paste.. copy and paste was broken.

Also why the fuck do I need a server between be and my vm?
This is the exact reason you autists hate X

you might know,
Ive used a window 7 for years, the exact same disc since 2010 or 2009.
I was using the win7 on a vm (kvm+qemu) and they are now being detected as illegitimate.
What is going on here?

The VM software updated, duh.

I havnt checked this out with other vms, it is only an issue since switching to kvm.

Ill try other vms and bare metal later
Is it really possible the loader doesn't work in a vm while still working in other vms and on bare metal?

Plain Qemu, run it from a terminal.

Can take a little prodding to figure out the ideal command line.

VMware workstation is broken, VirtualBox is deprecated.

Check your network configuration on the QEMU wikibook page, kvm does a pci passthrough.

Hmm, according to this
murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61321
it's not possible to run VM from a live session with puppy.

What does that have to do with windows piracy protection

I though it was clear you need to block windows network connection and see if there is a special configuration to block it with kvm

do you need dx12 for you vms??

What are you retarded? Containers run the host kernel. They're not hypervisors

But I want it to have networking

Then you need either to filter the vm network with a proxy, or preventing Windows itself from phoning home. I believe privoxy is what you want.

QEMU/KVM with a GPU passthrough.

Having full 3D acceleration, even if it is just a Intel integrated card you pass or a full dedicated one, will help a lot with the experience.

QEMU/KVM is good regardless and free. Is often updated. Use virt-manager together with libvirt to make it easy. Remember to install the virtio drivers.

Virt-manager and libvirt have CPU pinning which you need to patch to QEMU if you want to use it with a script.

CPU pinning helps immensely with fixing DPC latency issues causing garbled sound. So at least using libvirt (virsh commands or using virt-manager) with a XML to handle the VM. As you not only get CPU pinning, but also neat administration tools like virsh list and attach/detach commands like "virsh attach-device WindowsVM myUSBmouse.xml".

How does one figure out how many cores, sockets, and threads to give to a VM in qemu?

>unnecessary when aqemu exists

Care to elaborate?

Do you mean how you do it, or how many you should give?

How to do it is in a script using -smp sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1

In libvirt it'll be this XML:

Or look at "Topology" in the CPU tab in virt-manager.

How many should you give? Depends on your workload really. Two cores (four threads if using hyperthreading) should be more than enough for most usage. For gaming in GPU passthrough mode I'd recommend four cores if you have six to spare, or three if you have four cores. The important thing is to not starve your host, as it'll affect the VM more than giving the VM less cores/threads.

So there's not really a proper answer for that. Though two cores should be enough for most usage.

use both vmware workstation player 12.1 and virtualbox 5.1.10 for browsing, work...both work fine...why the hate for these two?

VMWare Player is fine, but proprietary. Workstation costs money unless you "acquire" it, but is very good. Not weird considering VMWare always has been pioneers with virtualization technology.

VirtualBox is deprecated Oracle shitware. It's barely worked on, drivers are half-assed, pretty bad performance compared to VMWare and QEMU. It works, but QEMU/kvm has basically taken VirtualBox' mantle as the free and open source virtualization choice.

Why would you want to run a VM when you can just create a live USB and boot it?