Is the Mac Pro dead?

Is the Mac Pro dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

tonymacx86.com/threads/success-skylake-asus-z170-pro-core-i7-6700k-16gb-ram-gtx-980-dual-boot-el-capitan.188640/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it was never alive

no it still makes as a useful trash can

If they bothered to update it and didn't make it look like a trash can, maybe.

If the Mac Pro is dead, then what is currently the best workstation desktop to buy?

Looks like.

Apple doesn't have a special separate team for developing macs anymore like they used to have in the past, they just allocate work on macs to the same teams. And work on macs is low priority for them compared to work on ios, iphones and ipads.

Rumours are that OS X was renamed as macOS as a way to prepare their desktops for a gradual transition to a unified iOS platform that will run the same system on all devices, except that system will be primarily mobile.

So, the direction foe Apple is clear: they're ditching all their products aimed at professionals and focusing on shipping only popular gadgets for niggers, fags amd whores.

>muh lazy trashcan meme
>anons can't into cylinders

maybe not, new desktops are supposed to be revealed in 1Q2017

i'm really hoping for a mac mini update

>ditch the decade old but functional case for a trash can
>don't bother to update it for years
Mac Pro and Mini are dead

You're asking the wrong question, fambino. It's no longer cost-effective to buy your own workstation for compute-bound work. Just outsource it to AWS/Azure.

>muh [insert shitty thing about apple] meme
>t iToddlers

6700k Hackintosh

See this:

tonymacx86.com/threads/success-skylake-asus-z170-pro-core-i7-6700k-16gb-ram-gtx-980-dual-boot-el-capitan.188640/

>Hackintosh

Officially unsupported. Linux has better driver support for PCs.

That article is a step through howto for a 100% working build. Doesn't get better supported than that.

That article is a step through how to get 100% back to preschool OS. Doesnt get any faggier than that.

This. Apple is no longer a computing company. It's a shitty overpriced mobile gadget company now. Microsoft will gain from this as it will become the only mainstream (no, Linux isn't mainstream no matter how much you cry about it) OS supplier.

Shame really... But a thing i saw coming since FCPX and more importantly the soldered everything macs. (I see the point but)

have heat problem
contain it in a small small enclosure

Yes.

It was always a dumb idea. They should've stuck to a tower. Now, with APFS forthcoming, I'd love to have a cube-shaped Mac Mini (or a cheese grater style Mac Pro) stocked with multiple hard drives to use as a file repository. Apple, however, no longer makes even a single computer into which you can install 3.5" drives. That's bad. It's a major gap in their ecosystem.

Seriously. Just give me a vertically stretched Mac Mini with 4-6 3.5" bays occupying the top. That's all I want.

If you are so incompetent that you have to rely on pre built systems, why not just buy some Alienware or some shit like that. Or are you just fixated on OSX?

After seeing how Apple raped the mini with the 2014 revision I wouldn't hold my breath.

>fagintosh

>If you are so incompetent that you have to rely on pre built systems

He uses a mac, there's no need to even imply that since it's a given.

So as desktop computers

Not the OP but there are two reasons we use old box Mac Pro's at work, and it's hard to argue with either of them.

1. The software we use was originally developed to run on OSX. It has been ported to windows but is not as stable or reliable.
2. We use prebuilt systems because if a system goes down it's on the supplier or on apple if it's still under a contract (it's not anymore). If it wasn't a prebuilt system and it went down then the conversation is as follows:
CEO: "why can't we bill the client for this 9 hour day at $1500 an hour?"
Engineering: "computer went down."
CEO: "did you call the supplier maybe they can help us out on the next capital purchase?"
Engineering: "Well... Bob built the computer."
CEO: "Bob built the computer that went down and cost us $13,500?"
Engineering: "Yeah."
CEO: "Go get Bob, and the guy who told him to build that computer."
Engineering: "Well that was me sir."
CEO: "You're both fired."

Continued: The software has been authorized by the manufacturer to run on a single HP workstation. HP changed the workstation and now it's no longer authorized. The software is slow to update for new OSs and new hardware, you want a computer that you can buy that won't change for four years and is good enough. That used to be the mac pro, and as long as they still run we will still use them.

>t. mactoddler company that's so poor they can't afford spare systems that can get someone back and running with a simple SSD/HDD swap because they wasted the entire budget on overpriced apple trash

I already have a home-built Windows Server machine I use for those things, dipshit. However, seeing as not even Windows Server is safe from Microsoft's retardation anymore (WS2016 has Active Hours implemented!), I'd love to have something else going on that isn't Linux. I dislike Linux.

>Fixated with OSX
Disgusting.

"Pro people" dont use Mac products, for editing in Photoshop and Elements for need powerful machines and Mac dont are powerful, just are beautiful things with no real use outside of browse facebook and Sup Forums

you know companies don't wanna have more workers to fix things right? They just want to work on what they do for their customers. for everything else they hire some other company to do it. especially at the modern day and age.

>(WS2016 has Active Hours implemented!)
Wait, you've gotta be bullshitting.

why the fuck does it have 6 lightning ports. wasnt a major feature that you could chain screens?

That's Thunderbolt, Lightning is proprietary horseshit

Except Mac Pros are powerful, and were at one point better than pcs, or at the very least significantly more stable (like we're talking OS7-9) the meme took off that they were better for pro work because it wouldn't crash and you wouldn't have to deal with the shit of DOS and DOS Based Windows.

I am not bullshitting you at all. Look it up. It's exactly the same as it is in every other version of Windows 10. You can turn it off if you know what you're doing, but its very presence to begin with shows a staggering loss of sanity on Microsoft's part.

This.

they are filling the company with niggers, trans, weird gender people just for the sake of diversity meanwhile teams that are working on core and difficult parts are being ditched. what a retarded faggot company.

Something using 2x Xeon E5-2670 for $60 each

literally came just to say this
fpbp

not feasible for problems with large amounts of data due to bandwidth constraints, like video rendering

>Have GCN 1.0 GPU
>Wait for decent drivers on linux for ages
>Try hackintosh
>It works without any issues

Yeah you can forcefully insert your driver support where the sun doesn't shine. It's pathetic that an unsupported OS does better than your hobby OS

Setting up a render farm would more cost efficient, even if it's a small one.

>Is the Mac Pro dead?
Since traditional Mac strongholds like B&H are shilling more PC parts these days, HELL FUCKING YEAH IT'S DEAD

nigga... the was no Mac Pro back in the System7 - OS9.x.x days.

The first Mac Pro was a Xeon machine back in 2006-2007 and PC's were already available with the same processors for significantly less money. I did a comparison back then between a Mac Pro and a Dell Precision 690 and for the money you spent on the basic Mac Pro (one dual core 5150 proc) I could buy a dual quad core Precision 690 with more RAM, larger, faster hard drives (SAS for the Dell while Apple offered pleb tier SATA back then), significantly better GPU, and add a monitor, high end audio card, MORE RAM and STILL have change left over versus the Mac Pro.

> (one dual core 5150 proc)

my bad, it was a pair of dual core Xeon 5150 procs.

How do you kill that which has no life?

This

Where would you get one for 60$?

>You can turn it off if you know what you're doing
Oh, so WSUS.
Still, the fact that they had the nerve to do so on WinServer as well is insanity.

There'll be another one. Macs just have like a 5 year lifecycle these days as they know people will still buy 5 year old hardware at full price so there's no need for them to refresh them often.