BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD...

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com / undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook / openbsd.org/faq / netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers, report shitposts.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/ports/categories-alpha.html
freebsd.org/ports/categories-grouped.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how many girls use BSD?

it rounds off to zero, same as Linux

One of the people in charge of FreeBSD documentation is a woman.

I've always wondered about BSD
what is the difference/why or why not should it be used over Linux?

Anyone here that can tell me the technical differences with Linux? In depth or pointing me to resources.

I am in particular interested in the availability of modules like selinux and in programming details like system calls.

Anything is welcome.

I like the userland more. Most things make more sense than their GNU counterparts, thus being easier to use. I also like that the defaults in OpenBSD are very usable, and also easy to change, since all the configuration files are easy to understand.
It's probably personal preference, but I've never enjoyed any GNU/Linux distribution, nor do I like most GNU software.
I mostly only know userland differences rather than function differences. Sorry.

I like it. Doubt it will catch on around here though. Not edgy or fast-changing enough

That is ok, please tell me what you know on the userland differences.

No --long -------loooooooooooooooooooong options. No insane emacs bindings for many programs, but ksh comes with them by default. Not sure what else I can bring from the top of my head.

it tends to be better documented than the GNU one, which 99% of the time just tells you to look in the info pages that don't explain anything

I fucking hate audio on Linux. Its fucking shit. OSS might be bare bones but at least its bit-perfect and actually fucking uses the full volume of the sound card. I have to crank the fuck out of Pulse or ALSA sound signals. What garbage.

my mommy uses linux

>in charge of documentation
You mean a secretary, user?

A lot of them.

Post BSD girls.

Please don't.

ur mum doesn't count

How do I search packages with keywords? the man pkg page didnt help.

/freebsd/ here. anyone tried Debian's freebsd? I'm curious about it

Which BSD?
If you want to use Debian, use Debian. There's no need to get the bad parts of Debian (GNU) running on FreeBSD.

>Which BSD?
FreeBSD

pkg search wooh
With wooh being a package you want. Also, I hope when you installed FreeBSD, you chose to install ports. With ports you have a whole file directory to look through.
Also:
freebsd.org/ports/categories-alpha.html
freebsd.org/ports/categories-grouped.html

it would be cool if they manage to port useful drivers from Debian though...I'm still waiting for freebsd support on a chip or two

Ports can happen, if the drivers aren't designed poorly and are well-documented. Someone just needs to put in the time to make it work with FreeBSD's interfaces rather than the Linux kernel's. As long as closed-source hardware exists, there will be driver problems.

yea one of them is an audio card and I have a backround in that so I might work on it when I have a chance. The other is a wireless card and I know jack shit about those so hopefully someone else does it

Yes I did, Thanks man