Piracy is wrong

Piracy is wrong

idgaf

I probably would download a car, given the way things are going. 2020, we'll have fully fledged botnet cars that always send back data to the gubmint about speed, GPS location, passengers, etc.

I totally would.

> tfw your own car will snitch on you for going over speed limit
What a time to be alive

3D printed car
When?

It's not piracy. Piracy is the act of relieving someone of a finite object. Software, on the otherhand, is infinitely copyable -- even with DRM attempts.

What is actually be committed is illegal distribution of "nonfree" files.

Yeah being gay also thought to be wrong in the past, see how that went

*Pirates Linux distributions with torrents*

It's still morally wrong.

B-but how do we fight the oligopoly then?

You do realize that there is no such thing as illegally distributing gnu/linux distros, right?

Piracy is about hijacking ships, not whatever bullshit you just said.

Torrent =/= piracy

Torrents are an easy way of providing longevity to software (including free software) so the original provider isnt the sole distributor, should something go wrong

It's not the same thing. I download a copy of something and have no intentions of redistributing it for a profit.

>distribute GPL binaries without source

Source doesnt make something free, it makes it open. It's free if payment is not involved

Yes there is, I distribute them without the GNU license agreement.

that's the joke

That is wrong, lots of free software cost money to either download or use. Especially free Software as a service software that are GNU compliant (and therefore free)

>You do realize that there is no such thing as illegally distributing gnu/linux distros, right?

You are not allowed to distribute software that is licensed under the GPL without also publishing the source code.

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

A US judge, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear words.

tldr stop justifying crime

It is wrong. I do it anyway. That said, the punishments for small-scale piracy are completely outrageous. In that regard, I don't feel guilty getting away with it.

this is why "free" is divided into "free as in freedom" and "free as in free beer"

But how do you know what is legally licensed and what is not ? The truth is you don't. You have probably watched youtube videos that have been taken down. I guess you would then be a pirate for watching content without buying it or permission. Truth is youtube probably has more pirated content than anyone, but how can an end user tell what is licensed and what is not ?

Also probably 99% of the images on this site were saved & posted without permission or licensing.

There is not really a good way for end users to tell what is legal and what is not on the web. Now if you see a movie that is still in theaters and not for sale anywhere you can safely guess it is probably pirated, but that is still a guess.

>implying any kind of retarded terms or conditions are legally binding at all

Piracy is the only way I'm using Windows. This shit's not worth $100

so pretty much

piracy = rape

>Piracy is wrong

Yeah

so?

ther's nothing wrong with piracy cuz I'm not stealing anything. I'm just making a copy. no one gets hurt. you see what I'm saying...? *puts on hat, lits up kush* relax dawg...

piracy did kill the big rock album, only downside of it

Kill yourself faggot

I would download a car

Piracy is right, actually.

What retarded logic. This isn't "stealing" the movie.

>crime
>something that is decided by other people, for you. Usually in their best interests.

FPBP

The supporters of a too-strict, repressive form of copyright often use words like “stolen” and “theft” to refer to copyright infringement. This is spin, but they would like you to take it for objective truth.

Under the US legal system, copyright infringement is not theft. Laws about theft are not applicable to copyright infringement. The supporters of repressive copyright are making an appeal to authority—and misrepresenting what authority says.

To refute them, you can point to this real case which shows what can properly be described as “copyright theft.”

Unauthorized copying is forbidden by copyright law in many circumstances (not all!), but being forbidden doesn't make it wrong. In general, laws don't define right and wrong. Laws, at their best, attempt to implement justice. If the laws (the implementation) don't fit our ideas of right and wrong (the spec), the laws are what should change.

A US judge, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear-words.

Fuck the USA

They are. Terms of conditions are contracts

i would download your mamma and then make a torrent of her and spread her all over the internets

That's nice, retard.

Piracy is indeed wrong. Copying however, is right and everybody's moral duty.

>Don't mind me, just pirating this wallet.

>not paying for sex = rape

So your dad raped your mom?

What a pointless thread. I know all you anti piracy fags are just being contrarians. Every single user in here has pirated something in their life.

On an intellectual level this is true
In reality, there are mitigating factors such as nips not into subtitling their degenerate harem cartoons

Yes it is and I don't care. What's your point?

It's not the law that prevents me from downloading a car, but rather my lack of a 3D printer.

Just 1984 my shit up!

Didn't you just pull this out of your ass?
It's has been called pirating in the music industry since tape recorders.

'It's getting back at Microsoft!'

No, you're just caging yourself into their ecosystem like a retard.

How did you know?

>implying open source 3d printable cars won't be a thing soon

>go see movie
>$12 a ticket
>i pay $36 for three people
>its shit
>can't get money back -- that's the way it goes!

>buy CD
>$18.95
>its not good
>can't bring it back -- that's the way it goes!

>buy a game
>$63.96
>its shit
>can't return it -- that's the way it goes

not being able to return media for the cash you worked hard to earn is wrong

piracy is a method of obtaining returns on losses

also: fuck you

If I download a car, I make a copy. The real car will still stay on the server.

>What are reviews?

>consume media someone else has already put work into
>waaaaaaah I didn't like it waaaaaaaah
>I deserve my money back
>already consumed the media
There's a whole industry out there to help you make your choise.

If youre just copying the wallet im sure hel be okay with that

If anyone could make an exact copy of my car, i would totally let them.

>to the gubmint
Yeah because your phone sends all your data to the goverment and not some corporation. Silly thin foil faggot who doesn't realise goverment is by the people and for the people(or should be). You probably dont even vote, do you.

>reaching with thumb and forefinger
wew

for the developers and app markets, sure
it's great for me

I completely agree, the government is for the people by the people, or at least it should be. On a technology level, I fear more for the corporate oligarchy than I do for the government, cause if the government goes rogue, the second amendment exists to protect citizens. But at the same time, you have to realize that this is an insane level of privacy intrusion that the government is asking for, all in the name of public safety, so companies can't do shit but comply, lest they look like they don't care about the well being of all car drivers or some other media bullshit.