/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread

Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD...

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com / undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook / openbsd.org/faq / netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers, report shitposts.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/commercial/consult.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can't steal something that's free. If it's a gift, it's not stolen. Now, GPL'd software isn't a gift: it's a swamp of contracts.

I'm an avid GNU/Linux (Arch & Void) user. What are the benefits of switching to BSD?

Thinking of trying out TrueOS, what used to be PC-BSD. Any reasons I shouldn't?

I'm an Ubuntu user normally so don't want to have to fight my OS. Just want a fairly easy, get it running and not have to worry about fighting to get things working

This.
You can't steal garbage bags, it's already free.

The BSD probably has it's place, but this image is accurate.

If I coded something and released it, I released it so that others could use it, and change it if they want, but not so that big corporations can take my work, make money off of it, and take away the ability to change it or use it.

I don't see why some people take issue with that.

Copyleft don't restrict anyone to make money with it. It makes it a bit trickier though.

Just use FreeBSD or OpenBSD
Actually, it's easier to make money with copyleft than a BSD/MIT licence. That's one reason why the GPL is bad, and that's one reason why corporations use GPL/CDDL for their own works.
If an evil corporation licenses their work under the GPL, everyone is forced to work for that company for free, if they change the code. The original corporation, owning the copyright to the code, can also release a proprietary ``superior'' version without giving back to the community.
Under a BSD/MIT licence, you don't have to work for the evil corporation, and can more easily fork their work, so the corporation can't so easily try to release proprietary versions.

Why should I switch from Debian GNU/Linux to Debian GNU/kFreeBSD?

Or FreeBSD?

What's the best wm under BSD license?

Use any integrated support for window management. Search available installation packages for words window manager and wm, install any of the packages found and follow its documentation.

GNU/kFreeBSD is not useful. GNU is the worst part of GNU/Linux, so just try FreeBSD.
OpenBSD comes with cwm, fvwm, and twm. twm for sure is under an MIT licence. I like cwm. Lumina is a DE that's probably under a BSD licence but I haven't checked.

>he thinks he can escape glorious GNU
>uses gtk anyway

So really it depends on *who* is using the license, because an individual using BSD/MIT is going just get fucked, desu.

Not really. A capitalist individual can do the same things a corporation can.

DWM comes under a BSD-style license, doesn't it?

Love how the anti-BSD autists got so butthurt that they put actual effort into an infographic though.

Reminder that the ps4 is BSD

>While this may superficially look like a noble strategy, it is a condition that is typically unacceptable for commercial use of software.

I love it when my software is made with corporations in mind. :)

>muh evil corps
god, freetards are retarded

fun fact: despite all the copyleft shit, the FSF forces contributors to give away all their copyright to them

I manage a team of 5 linux admins, I'm seriously considering moving to bsd because everyone in the team hates systemdicks. Management wont buy it unless I can get paid support. Is there a company that will provide support and has a presence in australia? It needs to be a legit company with 24/7/365 support available, not some obese man in a shed

i think iXsystems sells freebsd hardware but i'm not sure if they only support their own hardware or what

>corporations care about me :3

i never said they did

but hey they funnel money into BSD development so whatever, guess you fell for the stallman meme of "everyone needs to be hobos"

Why do you need support if you have in-house IT

The same reason we have supported products from Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, SAG etc
Management is risk adverse when it comes to mission critical systems

freebsd.org/commercial/consult.html

Ctrl+F Australia

As are the PS3 and Vita.

>stallman cares about me :3

Uh.. he actually does.

Why else would he want everyone to own and control the software they use rather than be cucked by software companies.

>BSD
more like BSOD
amirite?

So Sup Forums, where are you hosting your FreeBSD VPS and what are you running on it? How much does it cost you?

Rootbsd

why does Sup Forums hate *BSD so much?

Zealots and misconceptions

everyone owning software?

have you even looked at the hoops you need to jump through to contribute to GNU software?

>hoops

You just have to license your contributions under the GPL and provide source code along with the binaries.

no, you also need to sign a bunch of paperwork which pretty much forfeits your contributions

>and yet still no BSD or even Linux CMA
>have to boot into Windows to backup my card
Gay.

Because Microsoft uses *BSD to try to divide the FOSS OS community. There are over 2% of desktop users running Linux, if they can divide us and get us to start using *BSD they can make our numbers look even smaller and, because BSD is a cuck license, even if people switched to *BSD, MS could whore it out.

It's win-win for MS and a big loss for freedom.

the anti-BSD shitposters, once again proving they have schizophrenia

This basically

Divide and Rule.

It's funny because no matter what people tell you, you'll never believe it. You're not capable to develop an operating system to get invited to a DevSummit from either side, be that *BSD or Linux. I can tell you that on the FreeBSD side, freedom is a high priority, that the companies contribute code back on a regular basis, and even work on awesome new things we get to use, but what's the use? You live in your own delusions that somehow the BSD license hurts an OS that you know not only nothing about, but you clearly don't understand the OS you're using either. If you did, you'd be attending it's DevSummits and be aware that it's in fact Linux that focuses on how companies do their business using Linux, and the FreeBSD ones are far more technical, with companies trying to get code back in FreeBSD.

>companies contribute code back on a regular basis
Is that why BSD is still playing the catch up game with Linux?

Christ, this is hilarious. You freetards are beyond delusional.

companies obviously contribute the shit they need and nothing more

you won't gaming out of some hosting service sending diffs

>contribute the shit they need and nothing more
>they need
lol you mean nothing, right?

haha epic xD

Nice license bro lol

>Sure use my code
>Sure give back whatever you feel like
>Close it of? Yeah sure
>Sell it back to me? Of course
What a cuck licence

wow! you're original!

lad you are balls deep in denial, aren't you?

>denial
there you go again with that word

>>Sell it back to me? Of course

When has this happened? Your example better not be a tiny bit of the fucking code, either.

most linux users on Sup Forums are passive consumers of media

BSD just strikes them as necessary contrarianism since mpv runs on all platforms. If they actually did anything creative or productive with their operating system, they'd run into stark differences.

freetards are hypocrites, plain and simple

BSD is something microsoft uses for dividing FOSS and Linux community

and you're mentally ill and you should leave Sup Forums, but you won't do that since you've been coming here for about 2 years now to post about how much you don't like an operating system

what? I've been in Sup Forums since like 1999 lol

beppebumpe

>GNU is the worst part of GNU/Linux
which must be why it's the first thing every commercial unix admin installed

Citation should be provided

thats why the BSD's are so far behind the Linuxes in usability and hardware support,

i bet both apple's osx and microsoft's windows has lots of stolen code in it

none, you will have to re-learn some commands and configuration schemes, and less hardware support

He has a point. Microsoft would two reap the profits and never give back.

>/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
>posting tech/legally illiterately Sup Forumstard propaganda
How about no? Back to your trashbox.

Quit shitposting.

i3

BSD

Yeah.

Best picture in a BSD thread. Is good to see the BSD community are not all anti-GNU fanboys.

You convince me, I'll try FreeBSD.

>freetards
Stop coming to these threads you asshole. You people are the reason why nobody takes the BSD community serious.

GPL is terrible license for anything js.

That's only if it's an official fsf project.

whilhelm just got trolled out of the irc channel. what a gullible fucking idiot.

listen nigger
shutup

Why is it bad specifically for JavaScript

so? i thought the FSF was all about copyleft

guess they're just hypocrites

the "holier than thou" behavior perfectly demonstrated in this second post. Nobody cares about your gay little dev circlejerk, likewise you will never be invited to any privately owned company to do any work for them.

How does sound work in the BSDs? I thought they all used OSS but it seems they have their own API each. What should I do if I want to port an ALSA driver to them?

openbsd has sndio, which seems to have a OSS compatibility layer

sndio also handles MIDI i believe