I have a computer with an SSD and two HDDs; the SSD has my main installation of Windows 10 and the other two drives are...

I have a computer with an SSD and two HDDs; the SSD has my main installation of Windows 10 and the other two drives are just data drives. I want to try out Linux by installing it on one of the hard drives so that I can have a dualboot between Windows 10 and Linux.

Anything I need to know about this process, or is it as simple as popping in a live USB installer for my distro choice? If I decide I no longer want my Linux installation, will switching off of the setup be as simple as formatting the Linux drive? The whole dualbooting process is unclear to me.

>pic not related, I don't plan on using Ubuntu

Know what you're doing 100% before attempting anything. Installed a distro today and fucked up the partitioning because I'm a spastic.

>don't plan on using Ubuntu
Which one do you plan on using?

If you decide to switch to windows in a VM, get a cheap enterprise SSD and use bcache. The difference is enormous.

if you want to try it out, try it in a vm before fucking your partitions around.
>inb4 babby can't partition
if you're asking Sup Forums this kind of question, you're going to fuck your partitions up. go find one of 20 million guides on dual booting ubuntu and windows 10. are you new? we're almost 2017

>I don't plan on using Ubuntu

You don't plan on using the most beginner-friendly distro, yet you're asking an anime image board how 2 install linux?

If he's installing to a completely separate harddrive, he can't fuck up partitions unless he accidentally picks his SSD to format and install to.

OP, all you need to watch out for is where the installer wants to put your boot loader. You won't be able to boot at all if it tries (and likely fails) to install the bootloader on your SSD and not where your putting Linux.

I've done partitioning and dual booting operating systems in the past, but it's all been on a single drive. I have no idea if the process is different for installations on different drives. I guess I'm mostly worried about what happens with my bootloader?

I was thinking about Mint. I've had experience with using Linux in the past, but only in a VM. I want to try to switch to using it more often as a full installation on a physical drive.

Right, so during the installation process, I can choose where to install the bootloader, and I want to install it to the same drive as Linux, correct? So then if I choose to later wipe this drive, can I continue to use my Windows 10 installation as normal without the need to reinstall the Windows bootloader or something?

abundo? lmao

To clarify, by default a usual Linux installer will want to install to whatever it recognizes on your system as device sda. If this happens to be your SSD, then even when you try to install to an HDD the installer will encounter an error as by default it will want to put GRUB on sda.

You'll need to go into custom partitioning and pick the right drive there.

are you having a stroke?

.... so have a windows recovery usb ready then shitbird. it's not that complicated. the recovery tools will fix your bootloader instantly. honestly... i just don't understand how people are allowed around computers. you're shit. i'm better than you

Yes, see but only if you go into custom partitioning. I believe even if you choose your HDD during a normal installation it will want to put the boot loader on sda, which could be your SSD.

As for wiping it later, I don't know, I've never tried to go back, but I assume it's not hard. It shouldn't affect Win10 though, so you can just repair the boot loader and it should be fine.

Good to know, thanks for helping! I'll go ahead and create a recovery USB and try this out.

>"I'm better than you"
you sure got him good, user

To make it easy, just keep your other drives unplugged while you install Ubuntu. Then after use your bios to switch your boot drive whenever you want to change OS. This way everything is kept separate and you can format either drive to uninstall without breaking the others bootloader.

Turn off secure boot and fast boot, boot the USB in non-uefi mode.

THIS, always this.

welcome to Sup Forums

the technology board for children

IMPORTANT! Before you install anything, disconnect every other Hard Drive except the one you're installing linux to. That way, there's absolutely no chance of you choosing the wrong drive to install to. Its very easy to fuck up and erase the wrong thing if you're new to this.

Oops, beat me to it. But good advice is worth repeating.

>People are so fucking retarded that they overwrite their drives when trying out linux and this needs to be physically prevented as common advice
No wonder the "popular" distros have turned into bloated dogshit

>install windows10
>install linux(ubuntu)
>wont boot windows
>use live boot-repair
>feels good man

>linux