Who else fell for the 8GiB meme?

Who else fell for the 8GiB meme?
>16GiB is too much. 8GiB is ideal!
they said.
it's just transmission-qt running in the background, chrome with 10 tabs, steam and foobar. And it's almost out of memory.
Thanks Sup Forums

Meanwhile I'm upgrading my system yo have 32gbs this Christmas
I do CAD, so I can justify it.

Who else fell in gybybyte meme?
Let's talk GIGABYTE, like real men.

i pray to the gods that my pc will POST every time i turn it on. nothing like the thrill of owning a GIGABYTE mobo.

What wrong with GIGABYTE mobos?

When I brought mine a few years ago they were the most recommended, everyone was singing their praises on here

Mines been fine for 4 years now

Oh, so that is expected behavior? I kept thinking it was breaking already since it was used and all.

You need more swap.

>chrome
found your problem.

It was actually transmission taking 2,5GiB. Chorme uses only 500MiB, since it has caching disabled.

Why don't you have a swapfile?

because it is 2016?

Because I value my SSD life and power consumption.
There is no need to have a swap file in 2016. It was a thing back in times when computers had very limited resources.

>GIGABYTE
>boot is either with fans on full speed or almost full speed

>he doesn't know what commit charge is

I can cummit my charge in your mouth if you want.
I got it disabled since like a year and I'm very satisfied.

Enjoy running out of commit.

it regenerates typically every 8 hours.

>300MB reserved
You using an iGPU or something?

Bro you don't get it that hasn't been used since the pentium days. It's 2016 now we got adequate memory.

I have 8GB and it's perfectly sufficient.

That said, I'll probably get 16GB when I build a new computer next year.

well, I use iGPU + dGPU + eGPU

>windows
>chrome
Do you even try or this bait?

>he doesn't know what commit charge is

I think the evolution of VRAM will almost stop at 8 GB, like it did with system RAM. More than 8 GB is nice but everything runs well on 8 GB still, especially user programs and games.

I went with 32GiB 2 years ago. Kind of regret it since I run a few virtual machines at the same time and 64 GiB would have been better.

12 gigs here, 16 is easier to find but 12-16 should be it now

lol

Programs still use swap despite high RAM.
If you don't have it on a drive, Windows automatically assigns it to RAM so programs don't SHIT themselves because some retard things swap files aren't needed.

Not using paging means the OS can't make pages redundant, which means RAM fills up much quicker because having garbage collection capable of removing that would likely crash most programs.
SWAP is for non-essential working memory.

>LET'S GET MORE RAM SO THAT DEVS CAN BE EVEN MORE LAZY WITH THEIR CODE

Only got 16GB so I could turn paging off to extend SSD life. I hit 8GB use sometimes but normally hover around 5-6GB.

>turning paging off

i don't know how this is possible for you because i usually have a game, steam, discord and a few opera tabs open at the same time and i rarely go over 5gb usage

No user, the only SHIT here are programs designed to use swap.
And it's good that windows assigns this to RAM.
>which means RAM fills up much quicker
So? Are you poor?

devs will still use more ram
>what is swap
Also today it's important to write code as comfy as possible, not to optimize it. Deal with it, you got the resources so stop bitching.

>he doesn't know what virtual memory is

let me explain
>steam
900MiB
>transmission-qt downloading via WiFi
2,2 GiB
>Chrome
1,5GiB
>Win10
>1,2GiB
And you're out of ram

Virtual memory on windows = pagefile.sys

>he literally doesn't know what virtual memory is
Just leave. You don't belong here.

Nice argument you got there, shitlord

You broke your OS somehow, need to be more careful next time

Really felt the difference when I was using my video editor (Davinci Resolve)

16 GB is a must.

>I'm retarded
We know. Thanks for stopping by.

5.5 GB / 8.0 GB doesn't sound bad.
Also, qBitTorrent does not use over 1 GB of memory unless you're seeding/downloading more than 1 TB of files.

Who are you quoting, fuccboi?

The moron who doesn't know how computers work. AKA (You).

>he uses windows
Wew lad

I really can't figure out what's eating up all of your RAM

I really can't

Good post

Swap files are fine on SSDs nowadays. You are thinking of how things were five years ago.

You mean you? I'm not the person you've been speaking with before, kiddo.
You clearly don't understand how TLC eMMC memory works.

I fell for it, in 2011.
Probably will get 32Gb next refit.

That's what you get for seeding your torrents.

68MB uTorrent 2.2.1 master race here.

how the fuck do you fucking niggers run out of memory so easily? i was with 2gb until 2015 and never had to worry about it running out.

i mean seriously do you guys just casually render fucking dreamworks movies at home?

Programs are not designed to use swap, you idiot.

Programs see their available memory as a continuous, linear space so that the programmer doesn't have to deal with page swapping and the like. Operating system takes care of that.

They are.
VirtualBox is a perfect example. Even with free 8GiB of RAM it's still going to write a lot of shit to swap file under linux and windows.
It drives me fucking mad when my drives are spinning up just because vbox wants to write stupid shit to swap every 5 minutes. Swap under linux should only be used for hibernation. Windows should have it disabled completely.

Not him but name a diff example
VB is a virtual machine
Not a tipical program

>he's repeating himself again
How does it feel to have schizophrenia?

DOWNLOAD MORE RAM

>VB is a virtual machine
Wew lad

>Chorme
But what about Chrome, though?

>being poor

Take your anti-autism pills, please

i prefer chorme

I did, and 8gb is enough. What could you possibly need that requires 16?

> 4GB and still not lagging

I haven't heard about this issue, not an expert on Virtualbox, but I find that hard to believe.

For an application to "manually" write to swap file, it would have to run on ring 0 and flawlessly implement a fairly complicated algorithm of translating linear addresses to physical ones. It would make absolutely no sense to interfere with the system like that, especially when writing a program that is supposed to run on different systems, like Virtualbox.

It may write to disk anywhere it wants, but I won't believe that it writes to system paging file unless I see a credible source.

I had 8GB for several years and it wasn't enough. I'd always be around 6GB - 7GB used on basic shit.

16GB and an 8-core = perfect

Idiots run shit memory leaking software and then complain about it. Nothing new.

Seriously, a fucking torrent client taking 2.5gb? What the fuck.

blame qt

Same, mine has been working without any problems for five years now.
Not sure what people are on about with those.

idk wtf ur doing, I'm currently using 2.9GB on an 8GB setup and I'm a Firefox user.

What distro is that?

I don't know what kind of a pisshead you'd have to be to listen to these retarded poor shits instead of spending a few more bucks to get 16gb.

why do people keep asking this?
there's nothing in the screenshot that is specific to any distro

gnome with lime green window decoration with arc dark gtk theme, numix circle icons, some kind of horizontal dock. we all had that phase one time.

It's good to have more ram that you think you'll use since Windows sees this as a reason to cache more into RAM.
So the more ram you have the more it will be used, the less you'll rely on your HDD/SSD speeds.

why 3 drives?

Firefox with 10 tabs open.
Transmission running.
Steam running.
No clue what foobar is.

Windows has a bunch of proactive memory caching features like SuperFetch...kinda hard to compare between the two operative systems

Yep. I had Chrome opened and started Garry's mod. Maxed 8GB right there. Shitty optimization on the game's part, obviously, but I quit the game and ordered 8 more

>garry's mod
15 years old detected

when I upgraded my DDR2 from 4GB to 12GB in 2012 I was thinking it was huge overkill

I'm glad I did it now

28, actually. I just wanted to see what it was all about

task manager thread?

It's apricity, I'm sure of it. You can just replicate that in any distro tho

It also looks like Elementary OS now that I look closely

>I do CAD, so I can justify it.
We did CAD at school with only 4 GB, so no you can't justify it.

Nothing interesting.
HVAP is probably the only fun you can have in it.

4gb pleb here as well

can confirm, Windows will always use a little bit more than half of the memory, no matter how much you have.

I did CAD in DOS on a PC that struggled to run Windows 95 well.

>Nothing interesting.
Yea, I figured that out pretty quick

The >8GB is ideal> meme started almost 5 years ago, retard.

Thank you. That's very kind.

32GB ram user here. I ain't worried bout nothing. Didn't really need that much but hey it was cheap when i bought it and my board supported it so why not. But yeah back in the day, 32mb of ram was considered huge (1997)

ugh what is wrong with your fonts and windows?

>He pays Nadella to run Linux

>Phenom
Waste of 32GB

>Felhasznalok

Should I just kill myself already? Laptop is old and can't find a cheap 4GB module of similar specs.

>He fell for the 32gb meme

1 TB ram or gtfo