So what's Sup Forums's verdict on .NET Core?

so what's Sup Forums's verdict on .NET Core?

>multiplatform
>free as in freedom
>best business language
>not deeply tied to windows anymore
>no more XML bullshit, all JSON now
>linker is a lot easier to deal with
>dependency handling is much simpler

I hated working with old .NET but I might be convinced to like this. after all, the only downside I can think of is that it's still a Microsoft product.

What would autists on a Cartesian map coordinate board know about .NET anyway?

So how do I get this all set up to start coding and testing C# on Linux? I'd like to learn a low level language.

Why should I go down this route over, say, C++?

>C#
>Low level

KEK

>C#
>low level

pick one

I assumed it was C-based and so at least has the ability to perform low-level tasks.

What's the point in C# then?

C# is as high level as it gets. just about everything you can think of is abstracted twice over.

I don't know what kind of tooling there is on Linux at the moment. I was actually going to check that out during my short Christmas break.

speed of development over speed of execution

>speed of development over speed of execution

Isn't that Python's gig? How do they compare?

that's a common misconception that people make.

The syntax looks kind of C-like but it (to my knowledge from using it for an advanced algorithms class) doesn't have any of the low level functionality that say C or C++ has.

It has the ability, but it's like saying "How do I get my hair dryer set up? I would like to learn to cook. Why should I go down this route over, say, regular stove?"

It shines in applications where programmers' time is more valuable then computers', when you don't care if computation runs for 10 or 15 seconds, you want to get it deployed quickly, safely, and be able to maintain.

>>free as in freedom

No it isn't... In what way?

Python is better for fast prototyping, C# is more rigorous (static type system, great OOP support) and less prone to errors (but kinda slower to develop in, ofc.)

There are various degrees of that though from different languages.
C# is MUCH MUCH faster then Python, and is not as abstracted. But it is no down to the "metal" as C is.
C# fits the bill for a ton of projects that want ease/speed of development along with decent speed of execution.

In MIT license way.

but I like XML

Its MIT/Apache2

oh...

It actually has pointers and all that crap, it's just for really specific applications (mostly for interfacing C++ and C code), google "C# unsafe"

the CLR and standard libs are released under the MIT license and developed in the open. MS is even accepting contributions.

different syntax. different paradigms. different approach to tooling.

C# is deeply coupled with OOP concepts. Python has some OOP capability but most of the time you'll be writing procedural code with it. it's much easier to get small jobs done with Python but I find C# to be better for large projects.

C# is a much more complex language spec. it's filled to the brim with quality-of-life abstractions that aren't completely necessary. Python, by comparison, is easier to implement.

I don't know how they compare, performance wise. safe to say they will both be fast enough most of the time, and if execution speed is of the essence, don't use either.

does this mean that my current C# project will work on linux?

Why not just python at that point??

You might need to adjust some .NET library calls (it's called "core" for a reason), but yes.

Worst corporate bullshit programming language in existence. c is better in every way. Install Gentoo

It's still more rigorous, has much better support for OOP, static typing, better tooling etc. Python is better for small programs, for larger projects you want something java-like.

oh cool, wait, why would anyone use mono now? (besides ifags)

using mono it might already work on Linux if there's not any platform dependent code. hell, you could take the .exe as is and run it on top of mono. it's not a binary executable. it's byte code, just like Java.

but with .NET Core the Linux implementation is supplied by Microsoft itself rather than a third party project.

>car sucks use bicycle!!

>car sucks use bicycle!!
>what is walking

>walking
>what is falling forward

>not just letting gravitational pull move you towards your target

>2016
>believing in gravitational pull

>Multiplatform
"""Multiplatorm""" is more like it. Most Microsoft shit uses Win32 API so those who develop on other platforms gets watered down shit.

would you rather have to port 100% of your code base or 10% of it

linux is literally a watered down OS