I bought 2 sticks of DDR2 ram to expand the life of my poverty computer, so I could have 8 GB total (max on my MOBO)

I bought 2 sticks of DDR2 ram to expand the life of my poverty computer, so I could have 8 GB total (max on my MOBO)

The computer wouldn turn on when I put all sticks on. It works fine when I put only 2 of them, some times it works with 3 (6 GB)... I have tested each stick individually on the same slot and it doesn't give me any errors.

Im running right now 7 GB using all of the slots using an old 1GB stick I had and it works fine... wtf?

The sticks I bought are exactly the same. I have tried every possible combination and wrote down what happens (pic related).
The numbers are the last 2 numbers of the serial numbers of the sticks. 87-88 are the 2 old sticks I had and 47-48 the new ones I bought (again, the 4 sticks are exactly the same). I made the colors the same as my ram slots. 1-3 = dual channel. 2-4= dual channel.

The rest of my computer if it helps:

CPU: Q6660
MOBO: Gigabyte X38DQ6
GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr
PSU: Enermax 720W
HDD: a couple 1TB disks
The ram sticks I bought:
gskill.com/en/product/f2-6400cl5d-4gbpq

and the old 1GB Geil stick that I just used to get 7GB:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144071

Maybe it fails to run double dual channel?
But why 87-empty-88-47 works OK and 47-empty-48-87 gives me error?

Can you see any pattern or something? This is driving me nuts.

Other urls found in this thread:

gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2665#ov
gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2665#sp
gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2665#bios
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/149319-installing-on-ga-x38-dq6/
gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=9794
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Btw I forgot to add, in the BSOD/Freezes where it actually boots, I ran memtest and i got like 100k errors in the first 10 minutes in memtest+

This makes no sense, since when tested individually, or in double channel but only 2 sticks at a time, I got 0 errors for 40 minutes (1 entire pass)

Maybe a RAM slot is fucked up. Also, it's normal for those boards have problems reaching the maximum RAM capacity, try updating the BIOS maybe Gigabyte fixed that

It could be either

>Bad RAM
>Bad mobo
>8GB unsupported by board
>Not using the newest BIOS from the manufacturer

Since you tested individual ram sticks you need to test the slots. I'd go 1-2 1-3 1-4.

Also spam f2 when booting n go into bios and check your shit.

Also, this is 64 bit is and not 32? I'm assuming 64.

>Gigabyte X38DQ6
gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2665#ov

Yes, it supports 8GB MAX.
Yes, I am on Win 7 64 bit right now.
> I'd go 1-2 1-3 1-4.

What you mean? Shouldn't I just run memtest and wait for pass on slot 1, slot 2, slot 3 and slot 4 using the same stick?

Also like I said before, im using the 4 slots right now, using this combination:

87-48-88-the old Geil 1GB

So 2GB, 2GB, 2GB, 1GB in symmetric mode = works fine, been using it for 7 days no errors, played games rendered video etc. Memtest also fine for 1 pass... so wtf is going on? If it was one of the slots I would be getting errors already and like I said before im using all of them at the same time.

Also, what I was told in a forum is, that maybe even if the ram that I bought is exactly the same, it may not be compatible because it's from a different batch... I think this is a scam, they should be compatible, if this is the case I want them to give me a full set of 8GB that will not give me errors otherwise im suing them.

They said they can change chips and shit and still sell it as the exactly same product, but if you buy them in separate times (in my case 1 year since I bought the 2GB kit) it may not be competible. Fucking kidding me?

I thought this may be what's causing that I cannot run x2 dual channel but like I said before, 87-empty-88-47 works OK and 47-empty-48-87 gives me error... weird.

What is the difference between 47 an 48?

You have to check the timing on the sticks in cpu-z. They're prob different timing, bad ram or your motherboard needs to be reset to default settings.

I thinking it's defintly the timing not matching up.

But if ram is too slow for its timings, it should fuck things up very early, not when it boots and then bsod.

Older 775 boards were notoriously picky with all slots populated to maximum memory capacity. It was fixed on x48 and newer boards. Same with 680i and older chips as well they just didn't like 4 sticks @ 8GB total capacity. Honestly you're probably out of luck.

Is 48 just defective?

Could appear to work because 48 might just be mapped differently. Run a memtest if possible.

I had meant slots 1-2 1-3 1-4 but after rereading your op I saw you had 6gb then added 1gb to the last slot just fine.

I feel for ya.

Its the motherboard not being able to handle 8gb.

Could be the mobo just doesn't allow that much memory. Check the manufacturer for a BIOS update.

I suspect that 48 is defective but you'll have to test them individually. Run a memtest with one stick in one of the slots. Ideally you'd test each one. Then if they all pass test the second slot, and so on. If they all pass in each slot individually your mobo probably can't handle it.

DDR2 is a lot less friendly than ddr3, with DDR3 all you have to worry about is if it requires LV ram. I've noticed problems like this if you run ram like 5300r with 6400u. Are they all the same? 5300u and 6400u sticks seem to be fine together. Note, the 5300r reference isn't referring to registered ECC as these sticks work independently when tried in non ecc boards.

It sucks but it is what it is.

nice, a true ghetto build

i like it

now just put it in a shoe box

>3.5 slots

i would flash the bio with the latest rom and manually up the volts by 0.1 - 0.2 across the entire board.

ddr2 can be over-volted and my old p35 northbridge would always be a cunt about vdroop. Short answer, slightly manually overvolt everything.

Again, it's exactly the same product. Look at the screens, I ran both kits on dual on slots 1 and 3 (rammon shows 1 and 2 for some reason)

Already said a couple times that my MOBO supports 8GB max:

gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2665#sp

>4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory
>Dual channel memory architecture
>Support for DDR2 1200/1066/800/667MHz, ECC, non ECC memory modules.

So yes it can handle 8GB.

What should I change? here are pics of how my bios options look like (not my pics but i can take photos if u want)

I think that is the option for voltage for RAM. I have it set to auto (notice that pic is on manual). The default is 1.8 and then you add more I think that was how it works.

So I guess you mean that I set to manual and I should add +0.1

but what you mean with >across the entire board.

Do i just overvolt the ram or more stuff?

>bios

I think I already flashed it to this version:
>F8 0.59 MB 2008/02/27

There is a newer one but it says "Beta bios"

this scares me so I decided to go with the other

Add 0.1v to your dram voltage in BIOS.
That will sort it.

Ok I will try.. but I have family around now. I think its too aspie that I remove computer case and stuff now :s

I can't help you OP but I wish you the best of luck with a bump.

Squeezing extra life out of an old friend is cool.

DDr2 - defaults is probably 1.8v and most ddr2 can take 2.2v fine.

So making DDR2 overvolt +2 (would bring it upto) 2v

and if it was still being a cunt i'd eventually try +4 (bring it upto 2.2v)

I'd also change FSB overvolt to +1 and (G)mach to +2 (and i wouldn't be worried about upping it to +3 either if your case airflow is ok)

I'd also try loosing up the timings on the ram just to try to get them all to boot. Loosen the DRAM timings to 5,5,5,15.

Since its a q6600 I'd also increase the CPU voltage to around 1.38 - 1.4V if temps are acceptable (no cores higher than 80c underload like OCCT)

GL user

If you know all the sticks are good, I'm 99% sure that will fix it.

This PC has been very strong... Q6600 G0 very good quad core computer.

MOBO is good with 8GB max, I will be able to play games and stuff decently for at least 1 or 2 more years while I save for a new CPU, MOBO and more RAM. I will keep the GPU, and the PSU which are solid already. My case also stays the same (r4 fraktal define or whatever) very nice design, very clean. I may add a SSD before I do the big update to extend it even more for extra speed and I can keep the SSD on the next build so its a good deal. I just hope I can run 8GB otherwise im fucked.

Pic related those are the current voltages in auto and 7GB with the 4 sticks in the awkard configuration of 2GB-2GB-2GB-1GB, the 1GB has different timmings but somehow works fine with the rest.

It may be able to handle 8gb on the spec sheet but the chipset is funny about all slots being populated

By more RAM i meant new DDR4 RAM

My worry is... will I eventually run under the same problems in the future?

Like if I was updating today to a new computer and buy a Gskill Trident Z DDR4 3000 kit of 2x16GB so I could be able to still update to 64GB down the line to have 64GB of ram (maybe in the future you would need it)... and I buy 2 years later the other 2x16GB... would I run into problems just because it's not the same batch? (in case that I overvolt and my computer is still not booting I guess the ones saying that the problem is it's not the same batch would be right... which would be fucking annoying and I will demand Gskill to give me a compatible kit)

Well if it handles 7GB.. then why not 8?
It would be a fucking scam if they advertise 8 but you actually can't, the internet would be flooded with people complaining about it and im pretty sure you could sue them and win.

Here you can see my awkard 7GB current setup. As u can see the 4 slots work. Even if the 1GB stick is totally different it works. Its the best I can get until I fix this. I will try the overvotage thing after dinner.

The board was released almost 10 years ago man. 4GB was considered overkill, basically nobody had 8GB in a consumer/gaming computer and if they did they were probably using a board with a better chipset.

but it should work.. its advertised as 8GB
how can I lose if I sue them?

I ran p35 board with q6600 oced to 3ghz for 7 years :) the board should take the ram.

I just read some guy in a forum saying that he had 8GB on this MOBO.

they can just claim your ram is not on the supported ram list

I think you might be edging on the board's capability of supporting 4 modules with power.

Essentailly, 2gb sticks may come in single and dual sided variants. Single sided use 8 2gbit memory chips. Dual sided use 16 1gbit chips.

Single sided modules usuallt work fine, but dual sided have higher demands on the current because, well the board needs to feed twice the chips. Some dual sided modules work fine, because they might have been binned higher. However some don't.

Your 7 gig config works because 1gig module is single sided, so you are looking at lower current draw.

Before you try to meddle, reset the bios to run everything on "auto" if possible. If that helps then selectively try to find which preset causes problems. You might also try to bump up voltage on the ram by 0.1 or 0.2V and see if that helps.

Again you can find guys on the internet posting specs and some had the same MOBO and 8GB

insanelymac.com/forum/topic/149319-installing-on-ga-x38-dq6/

>RAM is DDR2 8GB 1066Mhz
>Mobo is a intel X38-DQ6

About reset bios, how do I do this, it was the "remove battery for 10 minute" thing or I just select Load default bios settings?
I dont remember changing anything on the bios tho.

BTW I have never OC'd anything, all at stock settings.

I know. I ran 8 gigs on similar board. What I am saying, is that your board might have problems with those particular sticks in that particular config.

Load Optimized Settings should suffice. Then try to bump voltage.

"Load Optimized Settings"
what does this specifically do

i will try later there is still people around cause of xmas dinner its a bit aspie that i start opening the pc now

A glorified way to say "load safest defaults"

are the RAM sticks EXACTLY the same? same amount of chips on both sides, etc?

well the rams are covered in a blue stuff so i cant count the chips but as you can see on this pic its the same product:

the blue thing

i once had a set of goodram sticks. same serial, same label but they were a bit different and some old controllers have problems with that
try this: remove graphics card and put in all the RAM. say if it works

I tried +0.1v and didn't work

+0.2 and didn't work

CPU at 1.38, fsb +0.1 and +0.2 Gmach and +0.2 ram and didn't work...

i forgot to try +0.4 on the ram but i doubt it would have worked

i tried also this and same

it tries to power up

i hear the HDDs do the click noise

then it just powers down and loops like this

im fucked.. what now??????????

>if I was updating today to a new computer and buy a Gskill Trident Z DDR4 3000 kit of 2x16GB so I could be able to still update to 64GB down the line to have 64GB of ram (maybe in the future you would need it)... and I buy 2 years later the other 2x16GB... would I run into problems just because it's not the same batch? (in case that I overvolt and my computer is still not booting I guess the ones saying that the problem is it's not the same batch would be right... which would be fucking annoying and I will demand Gskill to give me a compatible kit)

Im interested to hear this.

heeeelp

btw I just realized the kit i already had says "copyright 2011" in the box, the new is from 2015...

should I contact gskill directly and tell them to send me 2015 kit and i return the 2011 one? or do I rma the one I bought and tell them to find me a 2011 one? or should i do this throught the shop that i bought the kit at?

try RAM with more MHz and/or manually change RAM parameters. controller seems to not like them as they are now (they might need overclocking or decklocking)
double check if the memory slots are fine. try: 47-48-87-88
also make sure that the processor is put in correctly (no bent pins or other shit) i saw a case when it mattered

you know that they could chsnge manufacturing process during these 4 years, right?

I have a Q35 board with a Q6600 and 8GB work without problems.
Have you updated the BIOS? Are the contacts of the RAM and slots clean?

If the procesor had bent pins and shit it would give me problems whatever ram I use.

I used 87-47-88-48 and 47-87-48-88 because those two are the combinations that would make dual channel with the sticks that belong to the same batch which makes sense since dual channel works if I use 87-emtpy-88-emtpy, 47-emtpy-48-emtpy, empty-87-empty-88, empty-47-empty-48... this proves both dual channels work with both sticks, problem is when i run both at the same time

I could try as you suggested, but I think its a waste of time.

They look clean.. how do you clean those?
About bios:
Should I try flashing it to the beta version that was the latest?

Okay, if that's what causing that i cant run double dual channel, gskill must give me a compatible pair or else this is a scam.

i want to be sure if it's a controller's fault

i own p35 board with ddr3 capable (6 ram slots with 4 ddr2 and 2 ddr3 slot), i could go with 8gb ddr3 but sometime is freeze/lockup won't boot at all. They somewhat picky on ram.

but im using 4 sticks that are the same except different batch and doesnt work

and if i use 3 sticks and a fourth from a different brand, timmings and size (1gb) it works

wtf

i will try tomorrow and post here if thread still alive

I didn't read the entire thread, but if you have tried setting 2v on the ram, upped the other voltages alittle and set the timings to 5-5-5-18-2T, I'm guessing the memory controller on the board may be too weak or faulty some how.

You could try setting 6-6-6-18-2T timings and switching the sticks around, but I doubt it'll work.

Your best bet whould be to just run with the 7gb setup if it is stable. The last 1gb isn't gonna be a world of difference.

Bump. Any progress on this?

Double check ram and see if they require 2.0V or 2.1V.

Most people report that you need the latest bios and 2.1V to get all 4 slots going, which is the +.3 in the bios settings.

Maybe 1 of your RAM is high density RAM, i remember old intel don't support high density RAM

Hi OP here. I will try
47-48-87-88

later when family is out because of xmas shit. But I suspect its going to be a waste of time. I think im going to need to contact Gskill and request a kit of 8GB that belong to the same batch to guarantee its compatible and return my ram.

yeah but it's on simmetric and not dual.. it would be nice to have 8GB in dual dual

where did you read this? I tested up to +0.2v so that was 2.0v (default 1.8v)

By latest bios you mean the one that is in beta?

im using the one before the beta version
>F8 0.59 MB 2008/02/27

Also those rams are marketed as 1.8v, in the sticker it says 1.8-1.9

I guess i'll try flashing to the beta version later and pump up to 2.2v hope it doesnt blow up

Max you should go is 2.1v don't do 2.2v

also here's some people with Gskill problems
gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=9794

so what should I do?

looks like no matter what i try it will never power up

any painless suicide methods?

Keeping this thread alive.

Instead of optimized automatic values, try setting everything to manual with the default values.

Sometimes the boards freak out and set up bullshit timings that prevent them from working.

What default timmings, default on the mobo bios settings or the ones in the stick?

Btw I think the timmings dont have a "default number", its just a list of numbers to select and auto

like i've said earlier: goodram sticks. same serial, same label, same capacity/timings/speed/everything
but the chips were placed differently and that was enough

well fuck... so I can tell gskill to give me a brand new 8gb 2 kits? basically one that is compatible

tell them that they're not compatible and send them back. most RAM comes with lifetime warranty and it should be respected for at least this kind of stuff

but is it normal that i get tons of memtest errors when i boot with 6 gb in the combinations that it ends up in BSOD or freeze? I mean normal as in what would happen if it was indeed an uncompatibility problem.

have you actually tried testing each stick separately?
i once bought 4x4GB and one of the sticks was bad. it made the whole computer go haywire

I can't tell if you're serious but you aren't getting shit with that attitude.

OP, have you considered that your motherboard is a decade old and the memory controller might just be dieing?

Hey OP, I ran into this same issue on a P31 mobo a couple years back. The board was advertised as supporting 4 gig, and that was technically true, but only when all 4 dimm slots were not populated. Each individual slot worked, and all the ram sticks were good, but loading it up to capacity would make it shit the bed. This was acknowledged as a defect by gigabyte, but like fuck if they'll do anything about it. Basically you're screwed, sorry OP.

There's people running OP's board with 8GB on the internet. I don't buy this "just deal with it" stance. You can sue if a product does not deliver what it's clearly stated.

Does anyone have any new egg promo codes? About to drop 2k on a new build so was wondering if anyone had any to help a little.

Reset the bios with the cmos jumper, or simply by removing the cmos battery for 30 seconds. Chances are your motherboard doesn't support the speed of ram you're using with all 4 dimms populated. Could also require a bios update as other anons are suggesting. Otherwise it comes down to actual issues with the hardware.

you know 2 2gb sticks of ddr2 are more expensive than a used i3 system
at least here, around 40 €
i recommend you to sell that shitbox and get at least a i3 shitbox
with a 7850 you should be able to play newer games as well

i want a i7 6700k and ddr4 memory when i upgrade

if that was the case then why all the 4 slots work at once if 7gb max

This, OP.

Add + 0.2 of vMem

already raised memory voltage to 2.0v dident work