Does anybody unironically use hybrid drives? If so, wha are they good for?

Does anybody unironically use hybrid drives? If so, wha are they good for?

Other urls found in this thread:

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/
seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/firecuda/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

absolutely nothing

do they let you pick whether files go onto the hdd or ssd?

>all of the problems with both HDDs and SSDs
>none of the speeds
>none of the reliability
>none of the great price/Gb

I have one and it's absolute trash, don't buy.

no

PS4 that's about it

SSHD is BS (I'm thankful I didn't buy it)
The "SSD" part of it is hardly 1GBs of storage. The "hybrid" part of it is that it puts the most used data on the SSD to make it seem "faster"

They're shit.

This. Games load up a bit faster and that's just about it. Would only reccommend if it goes on sale but even then, just stick with one or the other

My sister bought a laptop with a 500GB SSHD and the 8GB SSD part helps with boot speeds but not much else.

Buying an SSHD was a viable alternative to an SSD when they were much more expensive, as they can still be a bit faster than conventional harddrives. Now that SSDs are cheap as dirt, there is no need for SSHDs anymore.

>SSD's
>cheap as dirt

Getting a 2TB SSD is ten times the fucking cost as an HDD.

That's why you buy a HDD and a SSD. A 2TB HDD is fucking cheap.

No.

What is the fucking point?

>ablooablooibootslightlyfaster

Everything is faster with SSD.

old machines and OLD OS's that don't support SSD's

I have an hybrid drive.
Windows 10 boots up in 3 seconds but that's pretty much it. Performance is about the same in everything else except boot time.

Got one for free from a friend.
It's much faster than my hdd (granted that's only 5400 RPM), but it isn't a significant difference desu.

I install all my games to it and the load times are not really that much faster than when I installed everything onto my laptop's hard drive. It's probably better than a regular old HDD, but not worth buying.

Pic related.
For fucks sake Seagate, how hard is it?

And then if the SSD goes kaput, there goes your most used data!!! LEL

/thread

Just use either HDD or SSD. no need for 'hybrid' crap.

Protip: probably they are the lower binned HDD and SSD and combined them together and here we are SSHD

wasting flash chips

Seriously? The SSD portion of a hybrid drive is used as cache.

I think I have one. Maybe it was in my last computer. I was really excited about the idea when I first heard about it in 2006 or so. But it took something like two fucking years before one actually hit the market! So I bought one and it's alright. I don't actually remember anything other than rebooting several times to see a boot speed improvement (which goes away since I generally don't boot more than once a month or so).

Theoretically, I would *love* it if they used a hybrid SSD portion simply to store the file structure. I'm sick of waiting while every fucking drive spins up when I open a Save dialog in Windows.

>I don't even know shit about computers but I'm going to shit talk things I don't understand.

It doesn't know what your most used data is, the SSD is for cache.

If you transfer a file of 1gb size, it will go into the SSD fast and get onto the HDD later.

SSD caching is awesome. However, you are much better off getting 1 SSD and 1 HDD and setting up the software yourself. SSHD's are shit.

SSHD are better than HDD so I'm okay with that

>I don't understand what cache means

Got one for free but I still want my money back...

I have one, don't buy one. Get one or the other, no point for both.

The idea is they utilize the SSD portion as cache for file transfers (as some anons already said) as well as page filing. Its supposed to work as a single unit solution instead of utilizing a seperate ssd for caching. The issue is the seagate drives I had looked at had something like 7-8GB of solid state storage for 2-4TB of platter space, and for the price you just as easily purchase a 64GB ssd, and a 2 TB HDD then activate ISRT.

The results will likely be significantly better as it would enable storage speed similar to being strictly on an ssd. Can't comment beyond that from personal experience, have an article about testing ISRT from Puget Systems.

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/

I use bcache with a 16gb usb3 stick. It gets choked writing sometimes.

Forgot to add that there are raid controllers that also have hybrid raid that supports >64Gb ssds. Some motherboards come with these built in. There are also third party programs made specifically for ssd caching.

Name an OS that can't run off an SSD that you still use?

What the hell is hybrid raid? You use the correct term later in the post: SSD caching. Are you referring to auto-tiering?

MINIX, Haiku.

It is ssd caching, referred to as hybrid raid on some raid controllers, Marvell calls it hyper duo. Sorry for the confusion. Actually, it could be a reference to auto tiering as well. It probably gets used both ways depending on the manufacturer.

Is the firecuda a hybrid?

seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/firecuda/

You couldn't figure it out? It's literally one of the first things on the page.