Spaceships suck

There aren't structures larger than moons for the same reason there aren't structures smaller than atoms. At between a zettagram and yottagram, objects start rounding, to 100-200km in radius, and structures are made, of, atoms.

The nearest star is Proxima Centauri at a distance of 4.2 light years. At a speed of 150,000 mph from a passive slingshot maneuver, reaching it would be about 17,900 yrs. Micrometeoroids reach nearly 186,000 mph.

The galaxy is ~100,000 light years in diameter. The speed of light in vacuum is 670,616,629 mph (denoted c). It is physically impossible for mass to attain light speed as it would require infinite energy. Fission or fusion propulsion could accelerate a vessel to 10% of the speed of light (~62,000,000mph). Technologies to generate and store minuscule amounts of antimatter exist, and antimatter engines could allow acceleration for months or years to very high percentages of the speed of light, keeping Gs to a tolerable level for occupants, but speeds around 95% of light would cause instant death.

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/5957697/super-fast-space-travel-would-kill-you-in-minutes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

do you have autism

I bet the spaceship is so fat it has its own gravity, just like your mom.

Unmanned space ships are the only viable option beyond that we would have to slowly expand outwards from our planet building settlements as we go. The primary goal of space travel in the future needs to be asteroid mining to save capitalism and at least one off earth settlement of enough genetic diversity to repopulate the entire species because the earth won't last forever. Generation ships are a possibility but are pretty inhumane. Read aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson for an example.

But user, all objects have their own gravity.

Your mom's gravity is so strong she warps time.

Favorite space ships thread?
Favorite space ships thread.

These are my most favorite space ships ever.
I'd rub my penis all over them.
It is tough for me to decide which i love the most between the 3,
but if someone forced me to choose under threat of death,
i'd go with the Legacy-class Star Destroyer.

THIS JUST IN
SCIENCE FICTION IS FICTION
KILL YOURSELF

But a moon is solid whereas a spaceship is almost entirely empty space inside since people need the space to move around and make rooms out of. So the ships could be much larger than the moon while still only having a tiny fraction of the mass so they wouldn't necessarily round off.

Is that why it take so long to get her off?

If all those ships fought who would win

good job common sense user

saving us from yet another horse-wanking autist

Space fold or warp drive.
Checkmate.

>There aren't structures larger than moons for the same reason there aren't structures smaller than atoms.
Because we haven't built them yet?

Larger than moons is a pretty general statement though. Larger than our Moon or larger than any moon? Cause there are some pretty small moons.

You're right, fuck mercury, lets savage it

I can only speak for EVE but the EVE Titans have Doomsday devices, one is a direct hit for massive damage like a deathstar beam another can lance a line of ships in a general area. The super carriers can run special field projectors that range in things from warp disruption to energy neutralization among other things. The super carriers have fighters and fighter bombers that do pretty nasty damage to other capital ships

>that fuckhueg star destroyer with 3km windows on the bridge

hope you got aaa suckas

recursively docked the smallest ships into the largest until all possible are gone then drive the master into a black hole.

>It is physically impossible for mass to attain light speed as it would require infinite energy.

True, but you don't need to go faster than light.

It's about frame of reference and relative speed. With an Alcubierre drive, you wouldn't need to exceed the speed of light, or even get close to it. You would arrive sooner than light, without ever traveling faster than light.

>but speeds around 95% of light would cause instant death.
Why is that? As long as you took the time and accelerated gradually, what about that kind of speed is deadly?

You don't?

>Brunhild class is there
>anything else
>winning
Not even Yang the magician can beat that

You forgot
>And the Engineering crew that have declared independence

Not really related but I like the Half Life 2 Combine style of 'space travel' where they just end up discovering how to go between superpositions of earth and conquer like 9999 versions of earth.

>There aren't structures larger than moons for the same reason there aren't structures smaller than atoms. At between a zettagram and yottagram, objects start rounding, to 100-200km in radius, and structures are made, of, atoms.
What I THINK you mean to say is that any object made that large will have such a great gravitational pull that it will essentially just break itself apart, which is true, which is why most realistic science fiction has the space ships max out at about a kilometer long, and usually only has massive manmade celestial objects as things that have special properties, like ringworld being a ring, in which the tension from the rings rotation would keep the object from collapsing in on itself.

>The nearest star is Proxima Centauri at a distance of 4.2 light years. At a speed of 150,000 mph from a passive slingshot maneuver, reaching it would be about 17,900 yrs. Micrometeoroids reach nearly 186,000 mph.
>The galaxy is ~100,000 light years in diameter. The speed of light in vacuum is 670,616,629 mph (denoted c). It is physically impossible for mass to attain light speed as it would require infinite energy.
Nice irrelevant info

>Fission or fusion propulsion could accelerate a vessel to 10% of the speed of light (~62,000,000mph)
There is no speed limit in space. If you have enough fuel stores you can accelerate indefinitely. If you have some numbers that prove you can only store enough fissile mass to accelerate and decelerate .1c then please share.

>speeds around 95% of light would cause instant death.
I doubt you seriously understand relativity if you make silly posts like this. What, exactly, will cause 'instant death'?

Your entire post gets wrecked by alcubiere drives

>asteroid mining to save capitalism

I thought it was communism

yea good luck getting enough antimatter to even test one.

>The nearest star is Proxima Centauri at a distance of 4.2 light years. At a speed of 150,000 mph from a passive slingshot maneuver, reaching it would be about 17,900 yrs
Good thing immortal AI bots don't give a fuck about time.

Reminder Warhammer 40k is a dark comedy

I find the Victory Star Destroy to be most comfy of Star Destroyers. Smaller, slower, and more powerful than the Imperator Class, but still got the job done just as well for decades.

I imagine striding down the cold halls and getting a big lungful of that good old stale recycled air. The good old imperial stuff.

>What, exactly, will cause 'instant death'?
Radiation from hydrogen.

"Unfortunately, as spaceship velocities approach the speed of light, interstellar hydrogen H, although only present at a density of approximately 1.8 atoms/cm3, turns into intense radiation that would quickly kill passengers and destroy electronic instrumentation. In addition, the energy loss of ionizing radiation passing through the ship's hull represents an increasing heat load that necessitates large expenditures of energy to cool the ship.

In other words, travel close to the speed of light and you'll be bombarded with so much radiation that you kick the bucket. The knock-on effect is that even if it's possible to create a craft capable of traveling close the speed of light, it wouldn't be able to transport people.

Instead, there's a natural speed limit imposed by safe levels of radiation due to hydrogen, which means humans couldn't travel faster than half the speed of light unless they were willing to die almost immediately."
gizmodo.com/5957697/super-fast-space-travel-would-kill-you-in-minutes

No graviton tunneling?

There are materials which can lower hydrogen permeation

Hey retard, you don't need antimatter because this isn't star trek. A few years ago someone figured out that if you change the drive geometry from Alcubieres original paper you get a massive reduction in the energy requirement. It went from the mass-energy of Jupiter to the mass-energy of a bus. While that is still a shit ton of required energy, it's well within our current capability to build.

Anderson's take on this in Tau Zero is if you are capable of producing the energy needed to reach those speeds, you will probably be capable of creating a large enough field to shield yourself.
Of course in the book the field becomes ridiculously large and is only a result of an accident causing the ship to not be able to decelerate.

fpbp

I like you.

So it's the space version of the movie Speed then?

Working/stationed on death star 1 or 2 is worth dying to rebel terrorist scum.
>>Never forget the fallen