/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kohls.com/product/prd-2260600/skullcandy-uproar-on-ear-headphones.jsp?color=Black
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Whats the marginal benefit of Stax 009 vs 007?

>Budget
Up to 100 USD, would prefer to keep it lower at around 60-80 USD (130 AUD, preferably 80 -100 AUD)

>Location
Australia

>Source
Phone

>Type of headphone
Full sized, over ear.

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Something that doesn't clamp down too hard but can stay on my head for hours without discomfort.

>Sound signature
Neutral or Bright. List one of both options I guess and I'll see which I like better.

>Past headphones
AD700
K701

Want something that'd be portable for bringing outside and when I won't be at home for a while, without much sound leakage if any. Should preferably have detachable cables/folding capabilities, and actually stand a small beating if it comes down to it.

Would prefer some major brand like AKG or Audio-Technica since they're relatively easy to find, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

bose qc15

Debating between the DT 770 80's or the mX50's. Thoughts?

770 > M50X

DT 770's outclass the 770's in every way, other than portability, and potentially clamp force. For the additional 30 dollars, you're getting vastly superior comfort, build, and sound quality.

>DT 770's outclass the 770's in every way
Fuck.
I meant the 770 outclasses the M50x in every way
Sorry, I'm special.

>benefit
Don't think about headphone lineups and expensive models being in some way upgrades to the more affordable versions.

I've got an AKG 712 Pro. Thinking about getting a HD600 as a side reference. Is it worth it?

Is getting the Premium DT 990 compared to the Pro DT 990 worth it when I will use them for hours at a time? Supposedly they're more comfy but also cost 30 Euro more.

hello. I'd like to purchase some advice.

Hello, my name is Mamidudi.
What seems to be the problem today?

So are the eiaosi x6 actually decent at all or should I just bump up to pistons?

Anything better in that price range? Not an audiophile but I do prefer bass/highs, with reduced mids.

I guess I'll wait a little longer before getting a Fulla 2.

what do you guys think of the jabra move wireless headphones? Just got them as a gift and have to say im not too keen on those

>Logitech G430 for only 45 EUR

S-Should I do it guys?

Can a fiio e17 drive a pair of AKG 712s? there are no places to buy an e9/e09k

> I've got a shit headphone. Thinking about getting another shit headphone as a side reference. Is it worth it?

DT770 are a classy headphone used by sound engineers and musicians in studios.
M50X is the favourite headphone of influential black youtubers like Brown Lee.

Tough choice!

Just get a HifiMeDiy Sabre 9018 DAC and a DIY O2 amp.

I got a GMP 240 for Yule eve. I haven't gotten around to trying them yet, but I was wondering what you guys think of them. Should I get a DAC as well?

Is it better to buy an 5.5th gen ipod classic mod the battery and storage to carry two SD cards or should i just get a xduoo x3 or fiio x5 or something regarding price/value?
The classic will end with much better battery life. No idea which would have better sound.

xDuoo X3, FiiO X5, or even a rockbox'd Sansa Clip + are all fantastic options.

What's with all this Sennheiser hate?

Yet none of these people calling Sennheiser shit can say why they're shit. The two reasons mentioned are strong clamping force (in my opinion that's not true, maybe they have a weak head) and that the band breaks after months of "normal use" (again, don't see how this can happen unless you throw them around).

>What's with all this Sennheiser hate?
Their price/performance ratio is far worse than AKG and Beyerdynamics.

ATH M40x are supposedly pretty good.

They are honestly pretty shitty, but for that price and for normal computer usage and gaming then I'd say go for it

>price to performance
Yeah would like to see your subjective metric for this one. Are you also going to tell us they're not worth it?

Anyone who makes a stupid generalizations and blanket statements about a brand can be ignored. Whatever brand gets shat on here changes from thread to thread.

Just boring shitposting.
That said, cheaper Sennheisers are pretty dog shit. [4xx and the likes]

plz respond

I would have assumed the headphones in the M50x's line would have been bassy shit?

M50x are V-shaped as fuck so yeah, "bassy shit". M40x have a detachable cable and more neutral spectrum. So they are cheaper and more desirable for general music listening

>M50x are V-shaped as fuck
gud jok

ATH-AD1000X vs HD600 and why?

check OP

Is it worth paying the extra money for Audio-Technica ATH-M50X over AKG K240s?

It depends on what you want.

>is it worth it

STOP

>tfw HD6XX serial number 067

Definitely a warmer sound than my HD598's. Soundstage is slightly tighter, but the mids and lows are buttery smooth. Great detail too.

brety gud

Best DAC, DAC/AMP under $50 to use with Fidelio X2's?

>Budget
Up to 100 USD, preferably lower

>Location
US

>Source
Computer

>Type of headphone
Full sized, over ear.

>Open or closed
Closed (have never used open but could be persuaded)

>Comfort level
Would prefer them to be pretty comfy, but if it's mildy irritating after a few hours that could be okay

>Sound signature
Warm and bassy

>Past headphones
superlux hd668b

I liked these headphones a lot but they recently broke (the cable that hangs off them shorted out and only outputs sound through one ear). I use them for gaming and music in my room. Not worried about portability really. I found them to be mostly comfortable but after a few hours my ears would get sore.

Thanks for any help.

xpt100/hm5

FYI, the headphones you had were open.

>>Open or closed
>Closed (have never used open but could be persuaded)
>Past headphones
superlux hd668b

>have never used open
>past headphones
>an open back headphone
hello

I am retard, please disregard

if you can also use open, consider HD558

I want to get a bigger and better (memory foam) pads for my HD600. I heard Brainwavz are nice, any other suggestions?

What's a good amp thing to get under 60-50gbp. I have a 25gbp desk mic and 160gbp cans. Not really an audiophile but just need something dependable that isn't going to break the bank.

It's true though.

AD1000x for imaging and clarity in the highs
HD600 for overall neutrality and clarity

An old Schit Fulla
Or a HifiMeDiy Sabre 9018 DAC/Amp

Why do you want an 'amp thing'?
What do you even mean by 'an amp thing'?

What headphones?

lol you guys weren't joking about being V-shaped. The treb is a bit much, but I'm having fun with them so far. Thanks for the suggestions, /hpg/ :)

I have the pro and the clamp gets noticeable after a few hours. Planning on returning them tomorrow and going for 880 premiums.

No worries. You could potentially return them and get Custom One Pros. They're essentially DT 770's with less highs, a removable cable, and adjustable bass porting.

That said, you could EQ them fairly easy, if you don't want to go through that.

anywhere got hd 598s open back on sale?

>Little brother asked for a microphone for his computer
>He gets this
kohls.com/product/prd-2260600/skullcandy-uproar-on-ear-headphones.jsp?color=Black

It's kinda funny, but it was my mother buying it which takes away from the funny for me. So it should just be funny for you guys. I'll probably just buy him the $3 one from the pastebin and that'll be it

Purchase advice link is dead

Bottlecrack amp a meme? A friend says "HD600, 650, and 800 are weird.. They require an OTL tube amp".

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>open my presents this morning and get a headset
>i've already dropped it and fucked up the aux port so I can't listen to anything

It's supposed to be a wireless headset but my windows 10 has no bluetooth settings to connect to it. Pretty surprised that it took about 6 hours for my gift to become completely broken.

And yeah, I'm dumb for dropping it, but the cord is like 3 foot long and I moved around a lot.

Your friend is... peculiar with his advice born of ignorance.

No it isn't?
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
Literally just copied that from OP

No, It's not a meme. It's a good DIY amp. That said, your friend is a fucking retard.
800's /can/ benefit from a tube to flatten that peak in the highs, but there are SS amps that can give a similar effect, if not just straight EQ.
600's/650's can play into tubes well, but again, there are plenty of SS amps that give a similar experience, or EQ.

Solder on a new jack. Why do you even need to complain?

How can I fix coil whine being heard through my mic?

I'm using a ModMic plugged into my my motherboard and my friend is complaining that he can hear GPU coil whine. I put on the audio playback through headphones thing and sure enough he is right. Capping FPS isn't an option because it's CSGO and I need muh frames.

>800's /can/ benefit from a tube to flatten that peak in the highs
Do explain how an amplifier without a specialized circuitry to equalize on the range of frequencies where HD 800 has resonance(s) is going to "smooth" it out? Moreover, how are tubes related to any of this?

419's are pretty dope if all you want is a cheap pair of closed headphones that don't look autistic and have that """Sennheiser sound""".

Fuck the shit cable though.

Tubes are often a warmer, more coloured sound. Sometimes manifesting in rolled off/relaxed highs.

I'm not an electrical engineer, I've just used a lot of tube amps. It's a fairly common agreement. I have no idea how they work.

>Moreover, how are tubes related to any of this?
He mentioned them in his post.

are the Sony MDR XB950BT any good? i'm looking for some portable wireless headphones.

>Tfw you download an equalizer program just to increase the bass a touch but end up neurotically tweaking the parameters and can never decide what settings to use

Man, I'm a musician and listen to music pretty much all the time when I'm not sleeping yet I still barely know anything about sound itself

replaced my old HD280 Pros with newer ones
I've got to say, the fit and finish are a bit better than years past

>It's a fairly common agreement.
Yeah and I cannot fathom where this comes from, other than people making a stupid comparison between a guitar amplifiers designed to clip and distort in "pleasant" ways and a Hi-Fi amplifier which never should.

Ever seen a measurement of a tube amplifier? Basic frequency response? Some distortion plots? In the case the tube amp isn't absolute dogshit, they tend to be extremely flat. Ones with an output transformer tend to roll off on both ends of the pass band which makes them neither bright or warm and doesn't effect anything in-between. They tend to be unstable into low impedance loads but that won't have an effect on headphones like HD 800 either. Distortion, if audible, can make them sound bright, warm or just shit. Mostly just shit.

I wouldn't trust my ears on auditioning amplifiers.

Get a good reference for loudness: pink noise bursts and logarithmic sine sweeps. Calm your autism by fixing the most objectionable peaks and notches with filters which fit them.

okay, so this isn't quite about headphones themselves, but -

i've gotten some entry-level headphones in the past year [hd598, m50x, pistons2, brainwavz,.... something], but i'm wondering where to go next - i mostly use them with my ipod nano/computer.

was looking into DAPs like the A30s/fiio x1 as a nano upgrade, but would getting a portable dac for my phone/comp actually be a good alternative? if so, what are the pro/cons of either option?

>Solder on a new jack. Why do you even need to complain?

i do not know how to do that or have the tools to

I would say get better headphone first then a dac/amp combo, most of audio quality increase lies in headphones, not amp/dacs.

Got a schiit stack for christmas, other than having to get used to not having a warm setup before (was using computer audio and a cmoy I built), does the lo/hi gain switch make a difference for my 598's?

You can't call yourself a man if you can't solder. Seriously, go buy a chinese soldering iron for like $30 off eBay. You'll save thousands instead of replacing or paying someone to repair your shit.

It shouldn't, but you've got ears. Decide for yourself.

Is the SMSL M3's output impedance (IDK what it is) suitable for the HD558? Will it sound muddy?

buying my first pair never was into audio
just want something solid all around
looking at hd 559 are they good?
would i need any other meme device like amp or dac or whatever theyre called?

It works fine for higher sensitivity headphones. It shouldn't make 558's sound muddy.

Fill out a form. You'll get a lot more advice that way.

>~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~
>Headphone purchase advice
>pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

5.5th gen ipod classic with sd mod extended battery and buying used would be 160€ in my country. I head the Wolfson dac inside is great. How does it compare to a the F X5 / xD X5?

Anyone else ups 4k, 8k and 16k a tiny bit in EQ for non V shaped headphones? It sounds to me like the highs are usually overpowered by lows and mids but raising those frequences a little bit brings them to life.

>Budget
~50$

>Location
US

>Source
Galaxy S5, Headphone Amp/Vinyl Set-Up

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Open/semi-open

>Comfort level
Comfortable, but I can deal with less comfortable headphones if it means better sound quality.
>Sound signature
Neutral or V-shaped, former is preferred.

>Past headphones
Sony MDR ZX-100, Sennheiser HD 449 (modded), Rock Zircon

I'm looking at Superlux HD 668B, LyxPro HAS-30, Sony MDR-ZX110, MDR-MA300 right now.

wait, so inversely, so even with laptop DAC/ipod nano, they have good enough sound output that i'm not being capped in audio quality by them vs 598s/m50s?

DAP allows "better" formats, usually have better dacs/amps, however they're usually a shitton more expensive

unless you can tell the difference between the different formats don't bother

nothing you've used before needs an amp

o-ok
>200 euro
>Albania but can buy from Greece
>pc/laptop/phone
>idk
>pretty comfortable got a big head
>idk/idc
>pretty much nothing but cheap earbuds

Is the ATH-AD500X a good pair of headphones?

what music do you mainly listen to
if it's not for music, is it for studio use (I doubt this) or movies/games

movies games and little music
for music i listen to mainstream shiit and anime op/eds so idk rock pop?

dt880 or dt770

dt880 is open, which means you'll feel like sound isn't in a small area but more like in the room you're in, some people (including me) find this really important and think it adds a lot to the quality of sound.

DT770 has a stronger V-Shape and is cheaper, aka bass will be punchier and treble will also be stronger

Both are super comfortable and both will suit you well.

>Budget
~$30
>Location
USA
>Source
Computer, Phone
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
As comfy as possible
>Sound signature
>Past headphones
none

If you need spatial imaging, yes.

th02/8323

Superlux 662 EVO
About $27 USD on eBay. Best set of closed cans you're going to get for that price. You don't have many options anyway.

662 EVO's are better unless you need portability.