/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/holding-shift-f10-during-windows-10-updates-opens-root-cli-bypasses-bitlocker/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm using Arch if it matters.

whats the best C compiler for linux? just installed ubuntu. Also need a text editor

>for linux
gcc

gcc and vim

see

thnx. Windows 10 ran like complete shit on my machine

Reminder that if you're not using one of these distros
> Arch
> Void
> Gentoo
> Exherbo
> Slackware
> CRUX
> stali
> LFS
or just
> Linux kernel + glibc + gcc + clang and various tools to build all of this and all of the dependencies and a bunch of other programs you like (not a distro and not to be confused with LFS)
you need to leave Sup Forums and preferably end yourself.

>evading a ban will result into a permanent one
MODS

> Arch
> Void
trash
> Exherbo
> Slackware
> CRUX
trash
> CRUX
> stali
> LFS
trash
>> Linux kernel + glibc + gcc + clang and various tools to build all of this and all of the dependencies and a bunch of other programs you like (not a distro and not to be confused with LFS)
kinda okay (but still trashy)
anything else LMAO?

what are you on about?

ur trash

>2k17
>using GNU bloat
>using Linux bloat

piss off winfag

>2017
>existing

>2k17
>not using based Windows

Just reinstalled gentoo, doubles decide my DE/WM

MATE

dwm

gnu screen

KDE

just the x server

tmux

twin

KDE

unity

i3

byobu

LMFAO

deliver

Hum yea not installing that, next doubles decide my DE/WM, no Unity

can you even get unity on gentoo? didnt know that was possible. I thought it was ubuntu exclusively.

Fuck you cunt, you may as well decide it for yourself pussy

>GNULAG
kek

Yea no my post said decide my DE/WM not my init system. Doesnt count.

You cant, you need systemd so you need to download a different tarball and reinstall.

How do you edit files located on a snap filesystem?

Better yet, what "variable" on the rocketchat layout/admin panel controls that color? I can't seem to find it in the layout portion of the GUI but I found it in the css file. If anyone cares, it's #a9a9a9 right now.

I'm trying to set up a rocketchat server on my VPS and the last tweak I need to make is to change the text color of the log in screen since it's so light that it's nearly unreadable.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

Can someone give me a little insight on how to use Wayland right now? Doing a new gentoo install on a laptop so I'd like to play around with Sway
and it's frustratingly difficult to find answers to any of these questions on google.

Do I still need to install xorg to use xwayland?

Do I need Weston? What does "wlc" the "helper library for Wayland compositors" do?

Do I need to start sway in a special way to make it use xwayland or will it just automagically work?

post an anime pic
it's the new unwritten rule

wayland is easy as fuck to use in GNOME3. Aside from that it's still not ready afaik.

Mac OS X is just so much better. Will Linux ever catch up?

Try Arch with Wayland, of fedora, with GNOME

Can i ask a question regarding Nvidia Optimus on Arch?
I am not what one would call a big gamer but i enjoy myself a little something on holidays yesterday i got a game as a gift and wanting to play it, i as usually used optirun
but it did not work
i'm quite certain that there at some point was an update that broke it seeing how i remember it working last week and since then i haven't touched it
I would very much appreciate assistance with this problem of mine

damn me i forgot to add the error

Is there any way to basically password protect files from someone using your computer as your main user, but without having to resort to encryption?
I know it won't be very secure at all but maybe just something to be a deterrent to your average person who doesn't know anything.

Is there seriously anyone who denies that windows > linux?

As an operating system? I do. Let's be honest here. You use windows only because of software avilability

Yeah, and doesn't that make it better?

No.

if I could have used pre-botnet win7 for the rest of my days I would've been ok with it. Did everything I wanted with almost no hassle whatsoever.

Change read/write permissions for the folder or files you want to lock.

i am doing it on my other machine right now, what's stopping your from doing that too?

Is that wangblows xp? LMAO

Windows is garbage. I'm starting to realize that you just have to be at a certain level of tech savviness to see it. There's nothing anyone will be able to say to some people to convince them, it's just completely different ways of even looking at the issue.

You want "just wurks" within a confined playpin that microsoft decided was good enough for you, and if that's what you like that's fine.
Others prefer to not have their hand held, while at the same time being given access to resources that allows them a more raw approach to handling data on their machines.

wangblows 7 actually

>You want "just wurks"
how do you know what i want?

I don't want to micromanage windows updates. using a simple distro like kubuntu has the same level of it werks as win7 did.

updates? huh?

The same way we know what dogs want.

do you don't?

s*

I am convinced that windows is actually superior. I think we can close this thread now

you still want security updates but you have to filter all the botnet ones, plus who knows what updates and things MS can push onto your computer whenever they like anyway. With win10 they have shown they give absolutely no fucks about doing what they want on your system.

Preaching to the choir here but how they treated users of win7 forcing them onto win10, then how they treat users on win10 is one of the most despicable things I've ever seen with modern technology.

I am convinced that windows is actually inferior. I think we can re open this thread now

I am convinced that windows is actually superior. I think we can re close this thread now

See

yeah, you want those sweet "security" updates. you and i both know how microsofts security is. just use a demicrosofted os

>how microsofts security is.
Joke

exactly, why would you want supposed "security" updates from them?

To fix shit like these

>microsoft
>fix
nice one
genuinely chuckled

Exactly. This is why I don't use windows outside virtual machines.

Such a great feature.
I think I'll stick with Windows right now.

>drivers for wireless card are so shit that you get 1mbps on a 100mbps connection
fuck

even my phone is faster than this

the true power of linux! its such a superior system

I find it amazing that someone looked and fiddled with the login screen long enough to figure it out.

Same with the recent grub vulnerability (although not as severe as pic related). Who the fuck presses Backspace 28 times on boot?

the thing is that this is a recent phenomenon. the connection was slower than normal but acceptable a few months ago. i don't remember updating anything, so it's confusing.

KDE, make the sensible decision.

>Antergos and Manjaro not on the list
mcfuckingkillyourself

-> 58162227
>Antergos
archpleb tier TRASH
>Manjaro
archpleb tier TRASH

>couldn't install Arch

>le CURRENT YEAR
>not using a Mac

Or this: bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/holding-shift-f10-during-windows-10-updates-opens-root-cli-bypasses-bitlocker/

>not using based OSX
indeed....

My african american

>gnulag
someone explains this please

Im over windows 7 and refuse to get windows 10

Am i going to reget swapping to linux mint after using windows all my life?

gulags (from glavnoe upravlene lagerei) were labour camps managed by the soviet union

yeah

have you read the OP or are you just pretending to be retarded?

kek, thanks

use it on some other hardware for a while
and i recommend kde since cinnamon is garbage.
basically try kubuntu

So I want to switch my distro to something else, cause I've been using Debian for a while. Is OpenSUSE any good? Also, Fedora has cought my eye, but I am not sure what to get. I don't really care much for rolling releases, something more stable would be great.

stop distro hopping, it woun't give you what you're searching for

When will the linux kernel finally be compilable in alternative compiler like clang?

don't listen to using linux is about getting the most comfortable setup suited for your needs.

distrohopping helps you acknowledge that switching distros is for the most part pointless but you have to realize that yourself.
Someone else sharing his experience won't satiate your curiosity.

If you are comfortable with Debian you might want to try *buntu LTS.
It's pretty much the most widely supported distribution.

don't listen to

Am afraid the only people interested in making linux compile for clang are clang developers and only as a milestone to prove that clang is a match for gcc.

>LTS
why the hell would anyone want to use a distro that you need to reinstall than the support is over?

It would finally free us from the GNU tyranny. If free software is about freedom like stallman says, you should be able to use linux with any alternative you want.