Why hasn't anyone really improved on early-2000s imageboard software...

Why hasn't anyone really improved on early-2000s imageboard software? Is 2chan but with AJAX updates truly its final form?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ccd0/Sup
Sup
zeronet.io
github.com/Bombe/Sone/
github.com/majestrate/nntpchan
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's perfect.

why fix what's not broken

It's late 90s appearance is an often overlooked part of its charm. It's nice to have something which, though very spartan and utilitarian in its appearance, has bucked silly web design trends over the last 12 years. (IMO, Web 2.0 and its "glaze every graphic with lewd amount of gloss" fad was infinitely worse than today's flat design pandemic)

It's also an exemplar of KISS design principles.

if the layout was to get "improved" it would most likely end up looking like reddit and that is shit

meant for OP btw.

Not really, since Reddit threads are trees of comments and *chan threads are flat like old forum/BBS threads.

>what is Sup Forums X
>link hovering
>quick reply
>link to archive
>link embedding
>auto refreshing
>desktop notifications
>b-but muh Javascript bloat!

to each his own

ignore this i can't read
you're saying that they would never change the way threads are structured?

Why change what's perfect?
[spoiler] I'd prefer the old layout with frames, but you can't have everything.

That's still available.

>a working familiar design NEEDS to change
why?

So you mean all of the shit that is currently in Sup Forums native except for linking to archives? Only the truly autistic use Sup Forums x and the like these days.

Why the fuck should I have to go out of my way to see the content that janny deleted for free?

I like how well they work on rural hillbilly internet

You don't need much

1. custom date format
2. work time
3. fappe tyme
4. and maybe threading if you come in to a thread that already has 300+ replies

Why the fuck would anyone go out of their way to care about deleted content in the first place?

It helps keep the normies out

It's fine as it is. One thing other sites could take from Sup Forums is not leaving stubs for deleted posts.

What are points 2 and 3?

i don't use this feature but you guys are really missing out if you don't already use Sup Forums x
github.com/ccd0/Sup Forums-x/

show only post with images, show only posts with text
obviously to fap or to have a discussion

So what... like Reddit but in chronological order?

work time hides all images in the thread. You still see all posts, just without pics
fappe tyme hides "text only" posts (posts without images)

>AJAX
>20000 lines of JS
pls no
this is perfect

It has to be a peer 2 peer imageboard where the jan man can't delete my posts

Yes. It's useful with thread with 200+ replies.

hovering over replies so much easier though, threading just turns the thread into a clusterfuck

Reddit is impossible to use. It only will show you the person who directly replies to you, but if you want to go see the entire comment chain related to your reply then you have to hunt for it yourself.

Can anyone identify this or know how to get it?

we had that back in the html4 days, before 4chanx and similar addons.

A gentooman wrote a simple script to update threads, shit was cash.

yeah but then all anyone ever does is post CP

>go to Sup Forums extension site
>click install
>refresh Sup Forums.org
"out of your way"

>janitor deletes post
>extension seamlessly keeps post in thread, conversation chain isnt broken
Wait are you seriously arguing that its better not to have useful unencumbering features?

Sup Forums.org/frames

eight-chan has a lot of features that Sup Forums is sorely missing. Multiple file posting, webm + gif thumbnail playback, etc. Good example of iterating on something "perfect" without ruining it.

Its also dead

because it is the community of people and the free exchange of thoughts that are important, not some stupid features.

Infinity

I would also like to know

This website doesn't make money so i guess mook doesn't want to add more features because more features will lead to higher usage and bigger losses.

2+six chan runs improved code with more features but they have a smaller user base.

moot2 is lying about money. There's an infographic by 8ch that proves it.

>multiple file posting
No.
>animated thumbnails
No.

The only things could improve Sup Forums would be an improved backend, streamlined HTML/JS/CSS which is already very well made, and the introduction of new file formats that outperform old ones.

Inline Quote Links
no need for Sup Forums x

I like imageboard software the way it is. Not everything needs a reboot, J.J. Abrams.

Because imageboards don't make (enough) money and don't attract the talented and persistent kind of people that it would take to make them modern.

reddit is shit. the post order is weird and you need to click a javascript link to see more posts or change the order. also the page position changes when you click the buttons that show more posts.

>perfect

I'm no astrobiologist, but I think things could be improved a bit, such as reducing unneeded clutter.

Why repeat the same info for every post, such as
Anonymous, and the date?
Why not replace the long post numbers with something shorter, like here:

thats fucking disgusting.

this. never change

Idea guy here.

Why don't we just make post numbers local per-thread, and then make a distinction between thread numbers and post numbers? Then to link to another thread you'd use something like >>[thread-id]/[post-id]

This avoids the long ass post numbers taking up space.

Kek, you don't need 4chanx for it, I already have it natively

ikr. it seems better to go from this:

to this:

well those code blocks worked perfectly wrong. I've never tried using links in them before. oh well.

mook and the one man dev team don't care enough to make improvements

>long ass post numbers taking up space.

You're are a fucking retard.

>improved code
hahhahhahahhaahhahaahahah
holy shit

HAHHAHAAHAHAHA

>what is visual clutter

Why don't you just create custom css?

What are they saying on 2ch?

The problem is the content, not the layout you morons

>no images
>no webms
>text only
>final destination
There, problem solved.

Actually, I'd love to see a P2P /prog/. I bet the higher barrier to entry would noticeably improve the post quality.

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

works fine as it is now

zeronet.io
then
0net://0chan.bit

We need avatars, usernames and upvotes tbqh.

This. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Too many websites have fucked up good designs for the sake of "progress". Sup Forums design is fine, don't fuck it up.

kek

Ah yes, also Facebook and Reddit share buttons.

Anyone got that pic?

does it shit itself if you multiquote tho

>getting rid of gets
eat a dick

>mfw Sup Forums looks like right for me
Feels good.

It's been done.

󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦
I'd rather keep the UI simple and let people do with it what they want clientside.
󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦 󠇦

That's what I did when I wrote my site (abandoned, never saw prod, but available on github under topicforumdev repo)

>getting rid of autism
Sounds like a good idea to me.

You again, botnet shill
>forced js thus 0 protection against literally every exploot in the wild
>if a site allows uploads or posts, 100% arbitrary content can be uploaded so enjoy your malware that runs as soon as you load a page
>forced to use id to post
>id is the same across all sites
>accessing a site = getting access to the id of all people who posted or uploaded along the associated content

I'm saging this thread as hard as I can. Bet that pisses you off.

This is how anonymous boards worked before the floating model where threads float, bump and sage was introduced.

I have a kareha board on i2p, you're welcome if you find it (not very hidden)

>images as avatars
>namesync for namefagging on forced user boards
>that 4chanx upvote script
Alternatively move to ylilauta, you can get dubs by paying there

In order for people to do what they want clientside we need a code base that isn't complete fucking shit.

Zeronet is the stupidest darknet meme ever.
And people think it's cool.

>forced js
oh noez! Le evil js!
How are you supposed to crrate distributed dynamic sites then?
>if a site allows uploads or posts, 100% arbitrary content can be uploaded so enjoy your malware that runs as soon as you load a page
sanitizing, what is it?
>forced to use id to post
ok, so? you can always generate a new one for each post if that disturbs you.
>id is the same across all sites
same thing. also relatively easy to solve with an update
>accessing a site = getting access to the id of all people who posted or uploaded along the associated content
the same argument over and over. i get it, you don't like pseudo-anonymity

That won't stop unscii posters.

show me a better alternative then.
i know it's not perfect, but it's the best we have currently, and it's one of the few projects that are truly pushing forward the field

Pseudo-anonymity isn't the right term here.
Point out a post I've made in this thread. If you can do that, then zeronet is equal to normal HTTP in terms of pseudo-anonymity.

Freenet
Tor
i2p
Retroshare
IPFS
Demonsaw
morphis
HTTP
Gopher
IRC
NNTP

What field is Zeronet pushing forward?

It works well, especially with Sup Forums X. Why change something that's already great?

Sup Forums lacks Wakabamark markup.
Prove me wrong.

>I can walk everywhere, why would I need a car ?

>Why not replace the long post numbers with something shorter, like here:
Because threading makes it impossible to carry multiple conversations at the same time. Go back to rebbit.

What was your shitty analogy trying to convey? Are you incapable of making a post that isn't complete garbage?

Are you clinically retarded or merely pretending?

Right, the person using analogies to try and explain his argument is the one calling me retarded. If you can't even argue without having to resort to analogies why bother arguing in the first place?
I'll give you the benefit of doubt though. You were trying to say Sup Forums with Sup Forums X is like walking, but "improving" Sup Forums (in ways you haven't and probably never will specify) is like driving a car.
I could talk about how shitty of an analogy that is, but that would just turn into an argument about your bad analogy, not about the state of Sup Forums. If you wanted someone to actually take you seriously then why not explain your argument, say what could be improved and how, not go to Sup Forums or Sup Forums levels of retardation and newfaggotry with analogies.

> not the right term
but the meaning is right. all your posts are associated with an id. here on 4ch it's your ip or something but it's never visible to normal users. on zeronet it's a public key which is intrinsecally visible to all other users, but is also easily changed

> tor
just a bridge, not the same.
> i2p
eepsites are not distributed.
i don't know enough about the distributed datastore. i only used it one time and it seemed pretty limited, but i'll be happy to be disputed.
> freenet
requires external tools, like github.com/Bombe/Sone/ (which actually seems squite nice, but it's an external, _fixed_ tool)
> retroshare
no sites, only file sharing/chat/etc
> IPFS
static.
Actually IPFS is very nice as a backend for big files in zeronet. The two projects could use some more integration (also bitmessage)
> demonsaw
nice, didn't know about it. same thing aboutretroshare applies.
> morphis

> google it
> "ALL TOGETHER NOW WE SING IN UNISON"
> oh yeah i remember this meme

> http, gopher, irc, nntp
not distributed

literally no other technology isable to serve arbitrary dynamic sites in a distributed manner

Just 新月です\(・ω・)\

They have, but no one is using it because everyone visits Sup Forums instead.

This.

We have to fix this somehow. Between the cancer mods and cancer community, Sup Forums is completely unrecognizable compared to last decade.

github.com/majestrate/nntpchan

related project

To be honest it's already quite perfect. Quality > Quantity so fuck AJAX. Boards should be even slower actually.

I'm currently working on an imageboard with some improvements:
>Eveything is a node (Posts/Threads/Boards/Tags).
>Nodes (both posts and threads) get automatically hidden according to popularity derivative to let the attention focus on new ones without having an arbitrary hard limits (e.g. 350). They're still sorted by time though.
>gelbooru style searching
>no javascript
>no miniatures. fuck miniatures. Just stop posting the shitty memes.
>Reposts and screencaps will be replaced by links (nodes are saved forever)

Obviously it will change a little bit. Pic is a design I made a while ago (with a nightmode too). The server is in C. I would love to hear ideas or critics.