Why don't you just use Linux as your main OS and run Windows in a virtual machine or use Wine for your must-have...

Why don't you just use Linux as your main OS and run Windows in a virtual machine or use Wine for your must-have Windows applications?

I sincerely doubt most of you use hardware-intensive applications.

Other urls found in this thread:

appimage.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Muh gayms

Because programs are hard to install on linux. Call me a retard but I'm not keen on having to have online install assistance for everything.

*enter*

i use appimage, yeah it's retarded hard to install programs, I fucking hate package managers to death too, I plan on making an appinstaller that is based off of the appimage project
appimage.org

Have windows in another hard drive as dual boot, in a vm and also have wine installed... heh

i use linux and make software for it
why the FUCK should the average user have to use a fucking terminal to install software, what is this the fucking 90's?

Why complicate things when it just works fine?
There are gui's for package managers, but they are just clunky non-sense.

Why complicate such an easy simplistic process?

I already do

except appimage is not a competing standard, it is it's own standard that is in fact very different than package manager autism, appinstaller would be THE final standard for installing packages as it would run flawlessly on every distro like appimage

it's already complicated and shitty now
I plan on following UNIX philosophy and making a gui way to install packages that also works in terminal if wanted, it'll be as easy as .msi installers

>i use linux and make software for it

No you don't. If you did, something as simplistic as a package manager wouldn't anger you.

How is it "complicated" and "shitty now"

How is this format hard to you?

i main debian. i have windows installed, but windows is a video game OS

This is what I'm talking about. I know that .deb packages exist, and that sometimes works, but not even every time.
It's not simplistic. Not at all. There are a lot of variables. not every application boils down to just "sudo apt-get install" like the big meme says. There are sometimes vastly different install processes.
Why have a GUI for an operating system when you have to use the command line to add anything to it.
God help you if you don't have home internet.

Does win10 still violate my privacy in a virtual machine?

Lets say i want to play my manchild games online, does win10 still phone home?

man

Understand that I'm coming from minimal prior experience.

i program in vim and use the terminal a lot
my main way of installing programs is compiling
most package managers have to rely on the distro maker's servers to have the application (which not all apps are on there) and they are always outdated, it would be better if there was a way to install software from the direct author and install the latest version without a package manager telling you that you have a lot of unneccesary dependencies to install and break shit, pacman is a hunk of shit and so is apt, there must be a simpler way.

How do you use auto correct?
You right click
How did you find that is how you did it?
You clicked and then right clicked those red sqiggles.
You dont need a plethora of knowledge and running *nix for 40 years to understand basic shit.

Oh look you typed
Oh look that isnt a valid switch
Whats this?
"Use -h for help"
hmmm

>what are 3rd-party repos
You sound like you just began using linux yesterday, much less possessing the ability to program.

>what are 3rd-party repos
You sound like you just began using linux yesterday, much less possessing the ability to program.

having to use the terminal to do everything is pretty bad, I think the end user shouldn't HAVE to use the fucking terminal, it's the main reason winfags and normalfags don't take our OS seriously, shit like SystemD and X11 aren't fucking helping either. Wayland and OpenRC would be far superior but linux users don't know good standards and go with the WORST. POSSIBLE. STANDARDS. EVER, like fucking pulseaudio, there needs to be a change.

I have used it for a year and a half
PPAs break shit and you STILL have to use a package manager and the terminal to install it. i.e APT distro specific complicated garbage.

I dont use the terminal to do everything.
99% of the time i am using programs i installed via the package manager.
You make it sound as if you're slaving over the terminal to do baisc gui shit.When you can use a gui to edit a file instead of using vi/vim/emacs/nano.

You launch programs via a launcher

Linux quite literally offers me nothing I want nor need.

Instead I use Windows and run other OSes within Virtual Machines.

You can use a graphical interface for the package manager if it bothers you so much. Windows programs are packaged for Windows. Ubuntu programs are packaged for Ubuntu. Fedora programs are packaged for Fedora. What's the problem here?

gui package managers are fine but I don't like the idea of HAVING to use that shit just to install software, a basic commodity of any OS.
And no Linux has become more simple with good GUIs and stuff but we STILL have to use the package manager from one central source just to install anything and it might break things/be outdated, plus I don't always trust the packages coming from there. a simple direct download and easy install from the website itself would be incredible and simple. I bet you like SystemD too, something that LOVES to break shit left and right

because it isn't avialiable on EVERY distro like
appimage.org is (glorious project btw) and I can't get the latest and it can easily break shit and be clunky as hell.

You clearly have never been in a linux environment for more then 5 minutes before you gave up cause its "too hard"

I use Linux as my toy OS when I feel like messing around, breaking stuff, and learning how computers work. I need something that werks, plays gayms, runs Excel and Adobe for my main OS.

You have to Google the name of the program to know the command line to install the program. But you need a web browser to Google stuff. Without looking it up, you have no way to know if Firefox is...

sudo apt-get install firefox
sudo apt-get install ff
sudo apt-get install ffox
sudo apt-get install frfx

Maybe frfx is the real program and ffox is a sneaky hacker program designed to trick you.

>insert ad hominem attacks here
I use HLFS as my main
Linux is easy but instalking software isn't simple and draws common users away and that's why people say that linux users are geniouses who are all cyberhackers and shit

You dont.

I use Ubuntu, and have for many years. Very casual /tech/ guy here. I can build my own computer (woo) kinda shit and get around a little on the terminal. With that said, cmon, install managers where you just click next are so much better, no? I literally only use terminal as well, it is just a more complete way to get shit done on linux I have found, but Googling what code to copy-paste can be annoying when im not doing the simple sudo apt-get install.

Also, drivers are a HUGE reason not to use Linux. The AMD drivers suck balls compared to the Intel ones. Theres another easy answer.

X11 is the reason gaming performance is shit too, that's a huge reason, once people come to their senses and realise Wayland is a lot better for performance than X11 cancer it will become a lot easier to write drivers for and performance will increase greatly on the gaming side, even better than Windows

I do, the only thing I use Wine for is League of Legends. I don't need windows software

This might blow your mind, Sup Forums. If I DID need windows software... I would go out and purchase a computer with Windows and use it for that! Probably used and for less than 300 dollars!

not if you're a scrub and use the actual package manager (in your case aptitude, from terminal) instead of shorthand one liners