How to not be... helpless?

I've been using Linux for a year now. Whenever there's a problem I google it and the answer is an arcane set of commands I can copy-paste.

Whenever I need a piece of software or a specific functionality of a tool that already might be built in (I wouldn't know), I google it.

I feel so helpless. I don't want to search for how to do every time I need something from my system. But how do you actually learn this shit? Can experienced users administrate the system without the predominant use of search engines?

Other urls found in this thread:

debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

learn to code, learn bash, and post moar pics

I am actually a decent Python and C programmer and know enough bash and core-utilities to automate simple tasks. That does not help me in any way with the problem I described.

read the manual

assuming that you are serious: which one and where to start? the bash manual alone ist 100+ pages when converted to pdf and really hard to read. and after that, I'll know bash, but nothing about my system.

just use windows or mac life isint worth it

read the system manual

I hope people actually do this. Well, I will now.

Sorry but wasting time by opening selected file with enter key instead of spacebar is waste of life.

I.. I never... what the

selena gomez with a body!

the amount of girls like this you see in higher end russian clubs is crazy

Do you use it daily ?
It's by using a system daily that you will eventually become proficient at it.

Just try not to helplessly cut and paste commands from google or stackoverflow, try to understand what it does.
The advantages with Unices is that everything is pretty much documented and you're not on your own.

>tfw sockets between her legs

Use windows or Mac, or make a hackintish. Life is too short to spend time on fixing Linux issues that constantly arise because it has no SDK and no one spending money on verifyimg software from 10 years ago works out of the box, and you also don't have to wait for someone to package the newest software release for your distro.

This. At least OP will whine on an irredeemable shit thanks to the useful faggots like you.

>Life is too short
>make a hackintish

Unless OP has perfectly compatible hardware, this will take 10x the time that setting up linux takes.

J E W E D
E
W
E
D

The problem isn't in Linux but in the distros. There is so many flavor of them that some of them took different ways to install, configure, manage packages, daemons. If the distros didn't make it so distinct it would be more understandable. I used several distros and they didn't make sense to me too, but when i installed Slackware i started to grasp it because Slackware is made to work as Unix like as possible and Unix was done with the thoughtfulness. Maybe you should try some of the BSDs, they are well documented. If you want to stick with Linux i recommend you Slackware, because of the familarity to bsds and unix.

Read a book about GNU/Linux in general. Once you complete, you'll laugh out loud at stupidity of """""""answers"""""""" that people post on stackexchange and such.
UNIX is much more simplier than you think. All distros is mostly the same system. All that unobviousity, fragmentation and clusterfuck comes from it's users tech illiteration mostly.

dumb frogposter

Install Arch, install some WM and learn to rice your desktop. I'm not even joking.

When you need a software, use you are package manager. If it's not in your repo(s), add a repo that has it.
Any commands that seem arcane are command you need to lern.

Actually look up what each command is doing before you blindly copy and paste it in

>I feel so helpless.
Then how about learning how this stuff actually works so you won't be dependent on others for the rest of your life?

learn how to use your distros package manager

There isn't any fun way. Read the documentation, troubleshoot on your own, etc.

If you don't wanna put the hard work in research the commands you're copying. Find out what you're doing and why.

He could just buy a mac to get started and get used to a standard POSIX. Then move onto Linux at a later date.

Though use what works for you I say. If linux is your thing then more power to you.

debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/

instead he could start with ubuntu and go from there

As you search for solutions, don't just copy-paste commands. Look up what they're doing, and why that fixes the issue. Over time you'll start to learn more about the system and how it works through how you fix it, then you'll begin to be able to solve issues on your own, and over time this knowledge will generally translate to other systems/tools.

sauce
how much desu