Who remembers these things?

who remembers these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_ruBZ4Z8yh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cup holders? My Pc doesn't have one and I miss it. I'm always scared I'll spill my drink on my keyboard.

Anyone legally old enough to be on this site.

kys grandpa

that exact CDRW writer model? it was shit

Sadly they no longer manufacture computer cases with available slot for cup holders. It is best to get waterproof keyboard and mouse or have your bevarges outside of your computer room.

>CDRW
>Can clearly see DVD on it

Ok.

I had that exact model years ago! the nostalgia is real

Also I bought a bluray writer only last week

I miss the old days of getting games on discs that come in jewel cases that are packaged in big cardboard boxes. There was just something perfect about that

I had that model, it was a CDRW + DVD combo drive. Could burn CDs and read DVDs (but not burn DVDs).

It was dead in one year. Complete junk. All my other drives are alive ever since I bought them (two Asus CD readers, two Pioneer DVD burners).

"Just going to play this game..."

VRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

>they no longer manufacture computer cases with available slot for cup holders.
Really?

Almost every new case I've seen has at least one fucking 5.25" drive bay that takes up most of the front of it. It's the exact reason why even ITX cases are needlessly long.

I wish what you said was true, but it's far from it.
Kill the 5.25" drive bay already.

My kids are always getting DVDs that I need to rip and dump onto their shitty tablets so yeah, I still use it regularly.

>Buying DVDs

Wut

Most micro ATX and mini itx cases don't have them.

Children don't want or need Blu-ray rips on their shitty 7" fire tablets.

Most prebuild computers still come with that shit and I don't understand why.

>Most
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

Otherwise, I would have already bought a new case. So far, most of them are just too fucking long because of that fucking drive bay(s) at the front.

i have 3

[Spoiler]I still have one

I remember my first gaymen PC when I was a wee lad. Didn't know wtf I was doing and my parents let me configure it. Maxed out everything including two DVD drives. No regrets.

Come on, it's not that old. Pretty much everyone has it. It's not a floppy drive.

i still have one in my desktop and laptop dock.

>Put in that one CD that miraculously managed to supercharge the drive and ramped up the RPMs to warp speed.
>The case is on my table right next to my head, plz don't fucking explode in there and send CD shrapnel flying into my brain.

Optical media is the second best storage method for archiving, second only to tape.

But how would you know, you're "gamers".

Remember? Shit, I bought one on Friday at Fry's. Asus 24X for $10.99. Makes it so I don't have to swap discs when I copy Redbox movies.

Yea I had one. Replaced it with a Blu-ray drive a few months ago.

>requires an 8x CD-ROM drive
>mfw

Anyone actually uses DVD/CD ROM anymore? I havent in 1.5 years

Hmmm...I should do that. Last time I considered it, BD-R media was still a couple bucks a disc, but prices are a lot more reasonable now.

very rarely but it's sometimes useful

> CD exploding side-thoughts
So I'm not the only one

Happened to me as well. The GTA2 CD exploded and send shards sticking through the case right when I finished entering a cheat code. Anti-cheat back in the day was serious business.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ruBZ4Z8yh4
my mum had the same laptop when i was a kid and i play games on it it was comfy. The hard drive sounds different in this video though its probably a newer drive.

>he doesnt install his operating system from nonrewritable media

Me too, it's somewhere in a pile of parts in my garage.

>laptop dock.
You are old.

Spbp.

Yeah, who needs ports anyway, right Mactoddler?

member how every os would literally freeze while reading from it
member how you had to rely on having the disc or go download cracks
member CD keys? member losing them? member the factory fucking it up and half the characters were illegible? member having to try every combination of O and 0, and 1 and I?
member how they could get scratched and not work?
member how you had to have an entire case somewhere to hold all of them?
member your friends borrowing a game and then losing disc 1 and the entire set is worthless?
member small laptops that didn't come with a cd drive and now you have to carry around a usb one all the time?
member the separate case of cds you had to have just for your laptop carry?
member when you had to have another case yet again for the car if you wanted to have more than one album?
member when the price of games was increased by $10 - 20 because they came on a set of 8 CDs?
member using a walkman and it would skip?

I member things how they actually are, instead of just conveniently forgetting the bad parts. CDs were shit, floppies were shit. stop trying to mis-remember them as being good.

>member when the price of games was increased by $10 - 20 because they came on a set of 8 CDs?

>bought WoW in 2006
>in yurrop it came as a 6 cd set
>cds were all shit
>took six gorillion years to install
I'm still mad.

>member small laptops that didn't come with a cd drive and now you have to carry around a usb one all the time?
That one is sorta your own damn fault tbqhfam

>cd player skips
>he didnt have the anti-skip switch

>member how every os would literally freeze while reading from it
No. I have always used GNU+Linux.
>member how you had to rely on having the disc or go download cracks
Create a copy or disk dump.
>member CD keys? member losing them? member the factory fucking it up and half the characters were illegible? member having to try every combination of O and 0, and 1 and I?
No. Never bought software in my life anyways.
>member how they could get scratched and not work?
No. I'm not a troglodyte.
>member how you had to have an entire case somewhere to hold all of them?
Yes.
>member your friends borrowing a game and then losing disc 1 and the entire set is worthless?
No. I didn't lend discs. I would make a copy if they gave a empty disc.
>member small laptops that didn't come with a cd drive and now you have to carry around a usb one all the time?
No. I'm not retarded, I would never buy that.
>member the separate case of cds you had to have just for your laptop carry?
No.
>member when you had to have another case yet again for the car if you wanted to have more than one album?
No. You can store hundreds of songs in a cd.
>member when the price of games was increased by $10 - 20 because they came on a set of 8 CDs?
No. Never bought any software anyways.
>member using a walkman and it would skip?
No. I never bought consumerist technology.

Stop referencing south park you retard.

member when cd burners were $600
member those awkward years when nobody had a CD-R drive but you so they couldn't read the cds anyway

I still use it for legacy reasons and OS installation.

>not using a usb drive to install OS

come on now

I do sometimes, but I mostly feel comfortable with media which can't be infected with malware or otherwise rewritten as mentioned.
Also, optical media is the best long term backup option for an individual as it's cheap and lasts at least 10 years, with M-Discs lasting over 100.

i use one

srs why not have one

t. 8 year old with media

I never had any of such problems.

Member? Oh no, I still use them.

>he installs his OS
its like you want the feds to have access to your computer.
>member those awkward years when nobody had a CD-R drive but you so they couldn't read the cds anyway
You're an idiot.

i have one of them lying in my case since over 5 years
then 2-3 years ago my mainboard died and when i replaced it i realized that it has no connector for my old drive and since all including cable managment was already mostly done i was too lazy to remove it thus i have an unconnected drive in my pc

Is M-DISC a meme?

kill yourself you worthless little shit, have fun being in debt for the rest of your life with your shit degree in women's studies you worthless fucking millenial

yes just get tapes

I don't remember exactly how or why it worked, but I had 2 CDRW drives in my desktop and could copy game discs that would work in an unmodded PS1.
Rented them from blockbuster for $5, sold them for $5 or a handjob. Not sure how much money I made, but it was enough to keep the cycle going and do some fun shit. Good times.

Mdisk is fine and no one is going to buy tape just to backup their fucking baby photos.

No, no you didn't.

maybe not their babyphotos but i already know norimes making retardedly large videos in 4k
and it will only get more data M-Disk till you are the point we had with cds years ago

>i want all my videos backed up on cds
>here have 50 cds and now have fun writing shit to them

>feds
as opose to what, compiling it?
Soemthing has to be installed first inorder to have access to the compiler.

the cds are fucking retarded, but the dvds are less so.
I'm thinking of using mdisk just to backup tax and financial stuff. Tape would be excessive for that.

encrypted liveUSB master race.
the only thing on my "desktop" is a shitload of music and movies.

>he doesnt regularly purge installs

There were drives that could do bit-for-bit copies early in the 2000s that could do exact copies of ps1 games. plextor had some, I think. that's probably what he had.
they're almost impossible to find now because everyone went apeshit about piracy.

>he has to
pleb

>Hes still a pleb teir user that doesnt know about the viwuses

They still make them

>member when cd burners were $600

Yes. I had an HP SCSI burner in my test machine at work and had my company buy the Mitsui CD-R media that was best for PS1 games. I gave my friends logins to our FTP site for our customers to download patches and upload trace files and my buddies would upload CDRWin images of rips, which I would burn on that machine to those discs and FedEx them out to my friends. I always looked busy so nobody would bother me, but I was just fucking around pirating Playstation games. Man I miss that job, other than the shitty pay.

>viwuses
I run lightweight linux distro, keep flash and java disabled, don't download anything except for private tracker torrents, and i'm not retarded.

have fun getting wrecked by rouge developers and html5 drivebys.

whats it like buying discs for that thing?

I didn't remove mine because sometimes I need to copy something of legacy media to my hdd.

I've got 3 of them in my computer, infact windows 7 recovery console only works correctly if running from an optical disc in some commands.

bought a usb floppy drive a few days ago.

i member

>having flash and Java installed in the first place
>uses a torrent client
You already lost

I'm actually going to install my old DVD-RW drive tomorrow, I want to copy over some PS3 games from backup DVDs I made years ago.

Better yet, who remembers them in IDE?

I gave an 850 Evo to grandpa to liven up the old PC I gave him some time ago. Planned to clone his system using a SATA cable from the optical drive. Didn't remember it's fucking IDE until I opened the case (literaly forgot all about the standard whatsoever). Ended up having to cannibalize a cable from a neighbor's PC. Oh, and the SSD meme sped that old piece of shit like you wouldn't believe once I actually figured out to get it to boot in AHCI.

Fucking child. It's called ATAPI you cancerous child.

If you didn't have to install your CD-ROM through your SOUND CARD, you know nothing about computers.

So that you can watch DVDs on your computer or rip CDs etc.

One CD I had actually got utterly shrekt by my mechanic. Cleaning up all the tiny silvery sticky scales coating everything inside it wasn't very fun.

>Fucking child. It's called ATAPI you cancerous child.

Still uses the IDE interface, autismo.

I remember Everquest 2 launch having literally 10+ CDs.

Also don't you like how the price increased due to the increased manufacturing cost, then immediately DVD and Blu-ray alleviated that problem, yet we still pay $10-20 more?

And how nowadays we have digital only releases that are STILL at that same price point

Still use it for ripping my CD collection to Flac

remember when CDs has pretty much just as much space as HDD?

It uses PATA interface...
IDE stands for Integrated Drive Electronics, a improvement on MFM drives what had the drive controller on a card instead on the drive.

People who call non-HD PATA drives IDE are cancer.

>CD exploding side-thoughts
The only thing exploding are my sides.

This

Sshhhhh goyim! don't speak so loudly!

Easy to find them. Price is a bit upsetting, but for the amount of storage it's probably good.

Yesterday to install Age of Empire

I had to use it to install Server 2012. For some reason the USB sticks I created using varying methods would not boot in UEFI mode, but a USB DVD-ROM drive of the same image would.

>Jewel cases
>Perfect
Fuck off nostalgiafag

The Air240 is Micro ATX, so that image is dumb unless you're waiting for an exclusively mini itx case. Also, the Air 240 doesn't even have a 5.25" bay.

If you want mini without the drive bay, CM elite 110, Fractals Node 304, Phantek Enthoo Evolv iTx, thermaltake core v1, EVGA Hadron Hydro, Lian Like PC-Q01 or Q25, raijintek Metis, bitfenix phenom bfc 300 and many many more.

i still burn dvd r for backup

>buying movies
srsly just pirate them

The big PC game boxes, not the little ones that came out afterwards.

>muh semantics

If you care that much about semantics you should know that a DVD is just a CD (Computer Disc), because the DVD player is technically a computer. Therefore a DVD reader is a Computer Disc reader.

>M-DISC
Talk about DOA.