So are these a meme?

So are these a meme?
I've been lurking for a while and noticed that alot of you guys have been recommending the thinkpad.
I need a laptop for school work. Majoring in Info Tech. Just want a sturdy laptop that'll last 4 years. Any recommendations other than this?
Thanks.

It's just a laptop. I have one, it's nice, aside from the shitty trackpad. Nothing really special about it from any other laptop I've had.

Display and GPU in these things are utter dog shit, display especially. They're business laptops intended to run MS Office. That's one of the reasons why are they so cheap, it's refurbished trash employers want to get rid of

Thanks.

The trackpoint is very nice, and it has good Linux support.

got e430 when I started uni 5 years ago for the same reason, would buy again

They're fine for the money but not great

ThinkPads are nice. You can pick up a docking bay for real cheap so when you're home you just drop it in get two displays or whatever.

Depending on the model they will have awesome battery life and can take a real beating.

I suggest if your using it as a laptop alot to pay a little extra and get IPS. ( Or do the diy route and replace the screen) it makes a world of difference being able to see the display undistorted from any angle.

People like MBP too, I hear they hold up well.

Thanks bud.

>muh gaymen

What kind of GPU do you need on a fucking laptop. My t400 can handle 1080p video without a hiccup and its almost 8 years old now.

The whole point of ThinkPads is that they're a great value if you buy them used. You can get a t520, throw in a 1080p screen and have a really great laptop that will last you for years for under 200 dollars.

Dell and HP have similar business-class lines that you can buy cheap, but they never really caught on here because they don't look autistic enough.

>GPU is just for games
Just kill yourself you retard

Don't fall for it like I did

It is a joke.
They want you to go insane troubleshooting.

Just get a MacBook Pro. It just werks and you can spend all the troubleshooting time you save succeeding in school and acquiring pussy.

They are well made, and the older models (t420) had the best avalible keyboard on a laptop. The track point is very good feature. Thinkpads have excellent gnu plus linux support, which is useful in your field of study. Dont get a consumer grade lenovo though, if you cant afford a thinkpad get a refurbished t-series

>mining buttcoins on your laptop

>t. mactoddler

Every Linux disto Just Werks® on ThinkPads, even obscure ones like Qubes. Even someone in "info tech" like OP can figure it out.

Thinkpads are great, spend some time considering what you want (i7, hdmi ports +++) and then find a cheap one that follows your preferences. Assume that you might need to change harddrive if it's old because used harddrives are not super stable.

A thinkpad is super nice. Avoid other lenovos though. I have a T520 which I like, but it is large (which is one of the reasons why I like it, it's basically a larger T420) the keyboard is excellent. But right after buying it I found out I could have gotten a T520 with a i7 for just a little bit more, so spend your time. I am still super happy with it and it works great as a development computer.

OP is likely going to university, he is not a elementary school child that spend all day gaymen. He is going to use it for school.

If he needs GPU for something else he can just use something from AWS. No need to spend tons of money on a GPU if he is not going to use it for gaymen.

Latitudes are better and cheaper if you are looking for something made in the 2010's

>Just get a MacBook Pro. It just werks and you can spend all the troubleshooting time you save succeeding in school and acquiring pussy.

If he was interested in getting a MacBook Pro then he would be disgusted by pussy. You are not selling it very well.

Macbooks are for people who like to be fucked in the ass literally AND figuratively.

>A thinkpad is super nice. Avoid other lenovos though.

/thread

The Apple is a pussy magnet.

Do you really think whipping out a cheap black plastic Chinese brick is going to make a girl wet?

>The Apple is a pussy magnet.
Women DO think you have more money than sense if you have Apple products, but they also at the same time assume that you are a homosexual like everyone else does.

It's like wearing a Vercace blazer in rainbow colors.

Bought a t420, think something is wrong with it.

Sleep doesn't work properly (it does not boot back from sleep like 50% of the time) and sometimes on boot it fails to load its audio drivers.

I think it's a hardware issue because I've reinstalled windows multiple times, installed a new SSD, still have the issue.. really puts a damper on my view of this supposed grail brand

>yes, yes, buy my product goyim, all the girls will want to sleep with you when they see it

Sounds like someone had some issues installing Arch?

>shitty trackpad

The trackpad is actually surprisingly good and responsive. Much better than on some of the more expensive laptops that I've used.

It is the best laptop mouse available. You never see a professional macbook user illustrating with the trackpad and so on. Thinkpads are pretty much the only laptop these days where the mouse is comfy to use beyond facebook.

Battery is pure dog shit

This, the trackpad is actually really great (noticed it on the 440s, where the buttons for clitmouse were missing).

In general, only buy X2--, (So x220, X250m etc), T4--, and T5--, also the W series tends to be alright but probably overkill.

I'm a big fan of the x series, personally. If my X220T died right now, I'd go out and buy an x250/X260 or a surface pro if I wanted a good tablet. I think the X260 is still a pretty damn good thinkpad from what I've seen.

Also take a peek at the XPS 15, it's a similar size with a larger screen sinze the bezels are so thin