Talos

What does Sup Forums think about this?

>Fully open
>No IME type shit

Seems pretty cool.

crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation

Cool idea, but I have read the board will be crazy expensive (several thousand dollars) and only a couple operating systems support the CPU currently. But it is the only board available that you can use to build a custom pc around the IBM POWER cpus so thats cool

We've had threads about this before. Everyone liked the idea, but even if they raise all the money they're trying to (they haven't come anywhere close) the board will still cost something like $4,000. That's without the CPU.

If it was four hundred instead of four thousand then yeah, I'm sure there'd be someone on here who'd buy one just to shitpost in guts threads. But as it is it's just another great thing that will never happen because it costs too much.

The idea is cool but I'm not very sure about some stuff.

As user said, there's not only the price part, we also have to consider the performance.

I do some gpgpu computing for (geoprocessing crap) and with the price of one of these talos motherboards I could get a supermicro board slap two xeons and have something miles faster with a shitload of pci-e slots for throwing the best bang for buck gpus I could find at the time.

I priced out a dual E5-2640v4 build with 128gb ram or some shit and it was only going to cost around the 4k mark

20 cores and 80 pcie lanes to feed gpus

tempted to buy it but i'm waiting to see what amd's new offerings are like since they might suit me better

there's also the fact that if you're going to use GPUs you'll be negating one of the big selling points of that Talos board anyway, since all modern GPUs have firmware blobs

>I could get a supermicro board slap two xeons and have something miles faster with a shitload of pci-e slots for throwing the best bang for buck gpus I could find at the time.
Yes, but you wouldn't have freedom.

He has the freedom to choose to use good hardware instead of meme shit.

I love this graph found on the Talos website.
>Inefficient and expensive as shit

It's not in your budget.
/thread

Freedom isn't free.

actually it is
it always has been
people have elected to fight over it, historically

only morons and republicans(spoiler alert: they're synonyms) believe fighting is necessary to achieve peace

I'm pretty hyped for it

Every arch in the graph can be made fun of, as it shows weaknesses of each.

Hardware is useless without software. E.g. there is lots of cheap and fast SBCs like Orangepi and Nanopi but nobody buys them. Raspberrypi is a king for a reason.
Same shit here. You can use virtualization, firewalls, etc on x86 which will make it pretty secure and "owner controllable'" but on free as in freedom hardware you wont be able to run anything useful.

It's already supported by a bunch of Linux distros and iirc FreeBSD too. If you can get by pretty well on FOSS software then you'd have no issues with one of these.

running blob free software on a fast machine? sounds good to me. out of most people's price ranges though.

It's shit made for retards.

Sure thing bud, go back to your GPU thread

>believe fighting is necessary to achieve peace
It's not about necessity, but expedience. It is more straightforward to achieve peace by subjugation than peace by consent.

>2017 workstation
>with SATA 3, not SAS 3
>with 1GbE, not 10GbE or better
>no audio or BMC

>high end motherboard comparision
>all other POWER boards
>only x86 is a shitty asus board and a single socket supermicro
because for a $7500 board it is unreasonable to compare it to a quad socket supermicro?

>CPU benchmarks compare it to a Xeon E3

>b-b-but muh openness
it isnt:
>[0] Although an effort will be made to provide Talos™ schematics to purchasers of the Talos™ mainboard, several pages will be redacted on the public schematic due to mandatory NDAs with a few of our support silicon vendors. The affected areas are primarily related to the PCIe subsystem, do not directly involve the IBM components, and should not hinder third-party development or modification of Talos™ firmware, hardware, or peripherals in most cases. Furthermore, these components do not contain reprogrammable CPU(s), and are also fully isolated behind the IOMMU integrated into the POWER CPU.
>[1] Available only to OpenPOWER Foundation members under a non-disclosure agreement

who the fuck has pledged $400k so far?

>not an argument

Gas yourself, shit for brains.

It's a CUTE

Oh yeah because baselessly shitting on it was totally a valid argument.

>who the fuck has pledged $400k so far?
The people behind the project most likely, Wouldn't be the first time.

>$7500
im sorry, $3700. Regardless quad socket E5 and E7 SuperMicros are under $2k

>muh strawman

Nice ad hominem, redditor.

>who the fuck has pledged $400k so far?
People who want a POWER workstation, obviously.

>muh logical fallacies
>calls others redditors

Speaking of entirely-free hardware is it still possible to get a Leemote?

Are there better options today?

I've been looking for years and haven't been able to get one. A used one pops up online here and there but I never find them when they are available. I want the mini ITX board even more than the laptop which sucks because it's certainly even less popular

>is it still possible to get a Leemote
i don't think they're making them anymore but you can probably find something on ebay

>Are there better options today?
there are still some very small companies manufacturing mips machines

>2017
>hardware still made with a legacy PCI slot and not a PCI-X slot instead

>only morons and republicans(spoiler alert: they're synonyms)
Are you implying that there exist no morons which are not republicans?

oh look, a vaporware thread

It's not vaporware yet

>Trusted Platform Module (TPM) that verifies all firmware before boot
HMMMM

Why don't the rich bazillionaires of the world fund important shit like this instead of giving food to aids infested africans who will just die anyway?

And why would they want to? You seem to think billionaire philanthropists are benevolent.

>Option 1: Attempt to save lives
>Option 2: Give people some false sense of security and assumed privacy to combat their 1st world woes

I'm in favor of decreasing welfare, and even I can see why you're a fucking idiot.

aid to africa doesn't save lives. it destroys the local economy and keeps them in the clusterfuck they've been in for decades. if you want to fix them leave them alone.

Do they have a standard platform or do they require "vendor support" for every SoC or chipset?

>onboard FPBA
I wouldn't be suprised if that is going cost like $1000 for just the FPGA if it's any good.