Its A Sony

Does Sony still make some of the better high end stuff or are you just paying for the name at this point?

Other urls found in this thread:

crutchfield.com/S-MZcbNfz9nqm/p_158TAA1ES/Sony-TA-A1ES.html
youtube.com/watch?v=U3Trxpu5jvQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They've outsourced a lot of their production to China the past few years, so be wary.

What do each of these docks do?

amplifier, cd player, what else?

from top to bottom
digital tuner
DAT player
pre amp
cd player
cassette deck
power amp

i think sony started making new ES gear. don't know if it's any good anymore

from what i have seen at my local best buy and online reviews the media players are really great. Haven't heard much out side of that.

crutchfield.com/S-MZcbNfz9nqm/p_158TAA1ES/Sony-TA-A1ES.html

this is the new one i was talking about. muh class a

yea that's more my question, like are the ES badged receivers still as good as they were or not as much? I stick with the old stuff anyway pic related

Holy shit those prices. Is HR audio even worth it? I still see no problem with CDs in a home setup...you'd have to sit there and load your old collection into that box anyway...

DAT ES

But putting the amp on the bottom is pleb tier. You don't want all that heat going up and getting everything hot.

>Is HR audio even worth it?
meh. i say listen to what you have. vinyl, cassette, cd, sacd, or whatever just put it through a respectable 2 channel setup and enjoy. no need to consolidate everything to one format.

The only passable product Sony manufactures is the PlayStation.

Everything else is utter garbage.

Even the Japs won't touch Sony garbage now.

>Is HR audio even worth it?
Not that I've listened to music on equipment costing in the 5 figures range for an entire stack, but I have never been able to actually hear a difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96. I don't think you can actually hear a difference either, 96kHz obviously enables recording/reproduction of much higher frequencies, but those are far beyond human hearing anyway. 24b can be nice for things like digital volume control, since digital attenuation causes quantization error, but using more bits for a sample can greatly reduce the impact. This works for 16b sources too, as long as the processing is done in 24b (or higher). The Windows audio system for instance uses 32b for mixing/processing.

0/10.

I agree.

If you live near places that sell music especially on the west coast there's thousands of CDs for like a dollar. And at every thrift store. They can easily sound great so there's no reason personally for me to stop using them.

>no minidisc
In the trash.

Still have a MY2000 35" Trinitron CRT TV in the upstairs spare room that I can't get rid of. It weighs 210lb, needs 2 people to move, and nobody will take it. Works perfectly.

Still using a 10 year old 55" 1080p TV in my living room. Fucker refuses to flake out in any shape or form. Works perfectly always.

I'm afraid my house will end up being a showroom for old Sony tech that won't die. Should I buy Vizios from Wal Mart so I know I will always have a TV that is less than 3 years old?

MD was mostly only marketed with home stereos in Japan, elsewhere the big draw was portability.

>can't lift a 210lb TV out the house

I think it's time for you to hit /fit/ , Sup Forumsayboi

Especially the PS4 Slim.

It heats up more than a first gen Xbox 360.

sony has only ever been good at LOW END audio and HIGH END crt displays

id take that tv if you were any where near me.

I dont know if its actually any good because im pleb as fuck, but i quite like the sony 5.2 reciever that i have in my home theater as well as my 60 inch sony led.

I also like my 27 inch trinitron i use for retro games

>Tfw all Sony is good for now is vidya
>still wanna buy "their" TVs just for their aesthetics

I got a job on a building site just to build up the muscle mass required to lift such a beast.

Shame i'm still not strong enough to pick up an original xbox.

>this marketing mascot
i wasn't ready for these feels user

youtube.com/watch?v=U3Trxpu5jvQ

that's the player I've got too

Sony TVs still have the best image processing.

CD's are so based. I hate when people blow them off. They really are cheap as fuck used, and they are in the ballpark of HR audio.

Well recording too.

That was arguably a bigger market for MD. Lot of radio stations and small time recording studios used em.

Total horse shit.

Sony was a fairly respectable brand for mid range stuff. Not the 5k+ stuff but for a good sounding setup they were really solid.

Central Ohio. Talk to me. I'll help you load it because I don't lift.

Umm Sony makes some decent stuff. Go into a store and take a listen.

Honestly I recommend you get a chipamp (lm3886 or similar) it's just going to knock the pants off any 'old' stuff you can afford. ( I mean there are gems but they ask stupid high prices or people with them hang onto it).

Getting a kit from China (

Its not that they dont make good stuff, its just there's nowhere to pioneer in consumer hardware anymore, and they doppped the ball with the laptop and mobile market. The z is still an amazing phone though

Not only in the ballpark, but store audio beyond the capabilities of human hearing. The audio off them is literally perfect.

Also:
- Don't degrade with use
- Easy to rip
- Easy to store
- No DRM

Digipak >>> jewel case, though.

The only acceptable DAT player to own is a DAT walkman.

Got a nice lil bluetooth speaker SRS-11 was 60e and the sound is nice, really simple to use and the build quality is pretty sexy although I haven't dropped it yet, everything gets dropped eventually and that's the real test of any portable device. Sony is such a huge company that quality will vary greatly product to product.

I just turned 30 and I have learned as a kid that Sony is one of the better brands. Not like the cheap neverheard brands that break after the first month and the quality is bad in every way. I still think of Sony as a cool brand even after all this time. I hope they don't turn to shit, for people like me they still have a chance to sell products.

They've been falling for the whole of this decade.

PlayStation is all that is really keeping them alive.

Outsourcing to China was inevitable anyways, yes I will miss the glorious PS2 and handycams made in Japan but it really wasn't worth for them to continue building things in house.

Sony tax is still around, but at least back then, it was a tax for good reason (plus for when their products were made in Japan).

Kazuo's reforms into downsizing Sony has kind of helped though.

Their TVs are still great lcds.
Sound division is still respectable.
Mobile division is weird but still great provided you're not American and don't care much for taking photos.
There's still PlayStation
Photography division is still fine, I know a guy who uses only alpha cameras.
And their godtier design aesthetics are still there.

I've got an Xperia Z3 other than a few quirks its a nice phone.

Yep
I'm on a Z5P right now

It's a housefire when gayming and it's got iPhone tier battery life but think of this, it has a 4K display.

You'd think out of all the OEMs to make the first ever 4K resolution phone, Sony would be the least likely (or maybe they'd be the most likely, Sony Mobile management seems to be smoking some nice stuff and Sony has always been known to achieve the ā€¯firsts" in tech).

Samsung is easily had enough money and balls to pull that kind of stuff, especially with their vr platform I expected them to do so first.

Funnily enough, Sony isn't doing too bad in the current mobile market as well. HTC is being overlooked, LG has been plagued with build quality issues and bootlooping, Samsung took some damage after the whole note 7 debacle, the Google Pixels are some of the most overrated phones of all year.

Though it's interesting that the Xperia xz is outselling all other android flagships in the eu

their a7RII camera is top hot shit. it can run adapters for every other companies glass, has low light capability that is amazing, and takes fast action shots and makes them look better and sharper than most everyone else's portrait shots.

its just that their entry level camera gear has such sad, sorry, shitty onboard software, and performance.

Everything I've owned from them in the past decade or more has been underwhelming or junk. They got too cocky with how well they were doing in every corner of the market and took advantage of their image.
There was a time you could buy just about any sony product and know it was a quality piece.
They've been working to reform the company and it shows, but they've lost a lot of consumer trust.
Doesn't help that they kept pushing arbitrary proprietary standards to try and get extra sheckles from their customers when so many other companies were already adopting universal standards that often worked better.

Even the good stuff they make now isn't really fairly priced.
I wouldn't be against buying a Sony product, but I rarely find their offerings worth the price premium their name still somehow holds.

>Digital Analogue Tape

Their photography division is booming. They make the falt out best mirrorless cameras on the market by a large margin. Even their entry level stuff beats out most competitors. Nothing under $1000 beats the $450 a6000.

Currently in third place with in regard to market share, and soon to pass Nikon.

Plus they are pretty much THE COMPANY when it comes to sensors.

It does seem like they have given up on the American market though. Go to Japan and they are fucking everywhere still.

...?

you realise Sony is made up of companies and all operate separately?

There's also the worlds largest CD/DVD/Blu Ray manufacturer, Sony DADC. Other companies like Cinram and Deluxe are going under and only Technicolour holds a threat. Otherwise Sony are in control of all digital media manufacturing.

Despite the market decreasing Sony are buying up the old equipment of these old companies and taking their customers.

sony is fucking garbage and everyone that works there deserve to be gassed.

I just got back from Osaka today. I have some work to do but f this thread is open tomorrow I'll post some pics of high end sony stuff. among others

Bump

Please do, if this thread is dead make a new one even if it's just gonna be me looking at your pics.