>"EVGA w is low quality and cheap, if you value your PC, buy a different brand"

I feel like this is the audiophile industry all over again

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B002VAFDQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_eEEyybS31H9V8
realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dont buy cheap psu's

The problems come from fluctuations in voltage, heat, bad protection systems
In the case of chinkshit psu's, theyre made with shit parts and may die fast, and possibly take other parts with it

Busget psu's dont have the same wuality as nicer ones, and build quality matters with such and important part

An extra 20$ over a cheap psu gives alot more than higher wattage output

SO WHAT IS A QUALITY PSU THAT ISNT $200!?

What's your wattage requirements?

Over the past week I went through 5 PSU's.
I bought 3 EVGA PSU's, 2 of them were DOA and 1 lasted for 5 hours before failing. I also purchased a Corsair CX PSU, and again it failed after 30 mins taking my motherboard with it. Finally, I bought a ThermalTake ToughPower PSU, and have had no issues.

It's actually important which PSU you get

RX480 and a i5-6600. I have an Apevia 700w that I have been using for years with no issue. People have me afraid of putting it in my new build.

>2030 - 14
>Not making your own FOSS compliant power supply unit running GNU/Linux

Just go on Jonnyguru

amazon.com/dp/B002VAFDQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_eEEyybS31H9V8

Don't listen to these retards.

If you're not using multiple graphics cards, you only really need around 80+ Gold/bronze 550w imo. 650w if you're planning on futureproofing, but even that is not needed since cpus and gpus are running on less wattage nowadays. Also read some reviews from well known technology sites as well, so you can get the best power supplies from the best brands.

5 in a week? What are you, retarded?

The unluckiest man alive

>when your power supply is older than you

I don't know the quality of an apevia psu, but 700w is way too much wattage for your build.

A high quality 550w psu will do the job and probably better.

It's a terrible brand. But I'm not convinced to buy a new PSU when it has been perfectly fine for me.

SEASONIC
E
A
S
O
N
I
C

I never understood this mentality.

You don't want to get a power supply that's just good enough for the build you're planning. You might want to change some of your parts some time in the future, and this may require more power than the initial set up did. But more importantly, running a power supply at or near its capacity is not good for the long-term functionality of that power supply.

this thing... 1 year running so far for 59.95? aite...

or bad voltage?? house wiring?

You're all faggots.

Buy a 650w EVGA gold rated power supply and shut the fuck up

>buy Seasonic built Corsair branded PSU in 2009
>started having voltage issues in 2014
>get replaced for free
>still using it

I'm happy with my $90

12v droop

I'll droop my nuts on your forehead, pussy. Go buy one.

i got a 650 bronze because i like risk ama

Dude, 550W is more than enough for most single-card builds. Usually upgrades bring more performance for more or less the same power usage, and I would rather use a high-quality brand at near 80-90% than a fucking chink brand at 50% of its capacity.

You're right

I constantly heard from people "don't buy cheap PSUs" but they never explained further and it seems like it's turned into a meme where people just assume it means you have to buy the best brand.

Don't buy no-name PSUs. Don't buy random Chinese PSUs. Be sceptical of used PSUs. I bought a Corsair PSU from a cheap local vendor and it was just about the cheapest PSU they had but I've had zero issues with it.

Just go ahead and buy one then, jesus.

The reality of the matter is that any electronic component can fail or come DOA for no reason whatsoever. Whether it's a $50 bargain or a $500 monster, they both can fail out of the box, but for some reason people think that just because part X costs so much it shouldn't break at all.
There are only two factors that matter, part complexity and validation pre-shipping. Complexity is why motherboards see the most DOA units of any PC part, and almost nothing outside the server space is validated before shipping, except maybe those Asus sabertooth boards as they claim.

With lower quality PSUs, even if you luck out and yours does work as intended, it might still have coil whine, produce more fan noise, or deliver less stable power, which could have an effect on long-term part life. There are also fewer failsafes in case something goes wrong. The rated power also becomes increasingly optimistic as you go down in price, a $60 600w PSU probably has a lot less than that as continuous usable draw, while a $200 unit can even peak a bit over it's rating.

Just buy a Seasonic X-series and you're golden. You don't have to worry about anything.

Once you get burnt by a yum cha PSU once you won't Jew out on one ever again.

>You don't want to get a power supply that's just good enough for the build you're planning.

550w is enough for most single gpu setups, 650w is enough if you have a boat load of extra devices drawing power (lots of fans, harddrives, ram modules, pci devices) and are planning on overclocking heavily

to give you an idea of how much 650w is, in my rig currently:

i7-5820k
r9 285
r9 290x
lots of fans, harddrives, ram modules, pci devices

the r9 285 just being in the rig uses 30-50w, running prime 95 on the highest power draw option and running double furmark instances on the r9 290x gives me 600w draw on everything in my room (minus draw from monitors), it'd realistically be using around 500w or so if I remove the r9 285 and was just looking at power draw from the tower

if I overclock the cpu and the 290x and do a more realistic real world load (like a demanding game or rendering video) I barely draw 350-400w

this is with a 140w tdp cpu and one of the most power hungry gpus of the last few generations, 650w goes an incredibly long way and you'll only hit it running synthetic benchmarks

and just for shits and giggles pic related is msi afterburner while running the furmark instances

inb4
>housefire

the tl;dr is buy a decent brand psu in the 550-650w range unless you plan on running sli/crossfire, in which case get a 750w at least off the bat

>I constantly heard from people "don't buy cheap PSUs" but they never explained further

cheap psus have a reputation of taking the whole rig out when the psu fails

things have gotten a lot better as motherboard manufacturers started taking power circuits a bit more seriously and built a bit better protection onto the boards (at some expense) eliminating a lot of the issues like huge voltage spikes when the psu is turned on, and psus have generally gotten better in the past decade, but the risk with cheap psus is just that - destroying the whole rig

I have some Raidmax cobra thingy, some say it's shit but literally the only PSU in this entire country that isn't awfully obsolete and won't make you go bankrupt

Why the hell do you have a 285 and a 290

yeah, thats far to improbably to be the PSUs' fault

This

Seasonic is god tier

Put a fucking ups in front of your psu and sue your electrician.

Seasonic does a good job for 90% of their PSUs

A low end PSU can fry your system, and it's literally what makes everything else in your system run, it would be completely retarded to cheap out on it unless you have a very low budget

Super Flower

I've started smelling a burning smell from my computer again last night when I was playing with Furmark and giving my GPU a mild OC (~10%). Once about 5 months ago my computer crashed while playing Crysis and I smelled a burning smell - I disassembled it but couldn't find the source. Now I'm having a similar smell but it isn't crashing, and I still can't isolate it.

I think it's my PSU - a Rosewill Hive 550 that's just out of its 3-year warranty. Should I buy a new one, and what should I buy that will last me the next few years without breaking the bank? I'm running an i5-4670k with an R9 280x on an Asrock Z80-something.

Low end EVGA (and even some of their more expensive PSU) just suck.
Corsair CX aren't as bad as reddit says it is, but it can't handle high temperatures well.
If you want a cheap PSU, just get a Antec VP
Really cheap and pretty decent

realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

Underrated database.