Amazon Echo

Why did this sell out on Amazon? Why do people feel the need to have a permanently listening device in their home?

What does it do other than send Amazon analytical data?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.nextthing.co/t/turning-the-chip-into-an-amazon-echo/1630
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most people are idiots who can't think of the consequences of what they are doing

bump

>permanently listening device
Do some research before posting newfag.

I like Amazon Alexis. I can talk to someone finally.

>10 rupees have been deposited into your account

>giving the botnet residency

It's a cool connected home device and only cost $50, versus nearly $200 for the full fledged version.
My understanding is it waits for the waveform of its trigger word before it starts sending anything to Bezos for more complex speech parsing.

Besides, your phone is already sending all your idle conversations to google.

>tfw in 10 years it will be normal to have one of these, in 20 years it will be a law to have one

Everything you say/type on Amazon can and will be used against you in the court of law.

AGAINST, not FOR.

People are stupid and stupidity will cost them their privacy.

People asked for these all day everyday at work,
I'm glad the holiday season is over

i got one for my mum, she is very much a luddite so she feels amazed she can say "hey alexa....play songs by the beatles" and just have it work - shes also never had a bluetooth speaker so its a big step up from using her ipad

i imagine there are a lot of similar situations, and also echo other posters saying that these things are only going to become more common...i know google home is making a push and about to spread outside the USA. microsoft is editing cortana to add in the same features alexa has

i personally cant imagine using it for anything other than media...shopping without actually looking at information is like a personal nightmare. yikes

I wish there were this things out there which are open-source and do not connect with IoT, simple direct encrypted tunnel would have been much nicer.
Having someone (besides my wife, which I don't have currently) to remind me to buy milk and that I have an appoitement scheduled at the specific time would have been amazing.
No, alarmclocks, stickies and writings in material paper do not help, and I have to remember to many things to actually pay atention I have left my washed clothes in a washing machine for a week (while doing so, I was also wearing my dirty socks and pants, cause I felt like I had no clean ones).

So why haven't you already built one out of a Raspberry Pi or your old rig?

Don't say like this, I've started learning python 2 weeks ago.

or a CHIP
bbs.nextthing.co/t/turning-the-chip-into-an-amazon-echo/1630

>friend's girlfriend's parents bought 6 of them for Christmas, one for each in the family
>they're all selling them

>What does it do other than send Amazon analytical data?
Depends what the TLAs ask Amazon to make it do. Required reading is Geroge Orwell's "Big Brother".

says you, i dropped my phone a year ago and broke the mic

>Smart TVs, Alexa
>Installing a microphone and camera in your living room

Police in Arkansas are getting a court order for Amazon to release the records they have for a house that was a murder scene. The victim had an Alexa.