/hpg/ Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

last thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Audiophile#Controversies
schiit.com/products/fulla-2
a.co/hAuOjmS
a.co/eQaVzyk
a.co/ayI96RA
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4xzrp3/any_update_on_the_new_version_shp9500/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Tfw you get new headphones and start hearing details and shit you've never heard before

Official Guide™

What /hpg/ think about imods ?

stop shitposting

>Budget
~$100
>Location
USA
>Source
onboard sound, no amp
>Open or closed
closed, but with some ventilation
>Comfort level
ultra comfy, i wear them pretty much all day
>Sound signature
neutral
>Past headphones
some razer characas shit i got as a gift, and hd201s that i got because they were cheap

they're for gaming/movies/tv/music in that order. i was looking at some m40x+hm5 velour pads but im slightly worried about "the clamp" and if they have any ventilation

>closed, but with some ventilation
wat

why do you think you want neutral?
for games/movies v shaped is best, in which case get DT770 80 ohms

FLAC Internet radio: mpv chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

Only top tier headphones like the SR-007 allowed.

Make anime lossless again

Why the fuck are cords always on the L side. This upsets me greatly.

So people can know how to put them on

Just a reminder:

The ATH-M20's are on sale right now for $27

I have the ATH-M50's and I swear by them.

just ordered hd 559 for 135 euro howd i do

this entire post is just...
just...

>559
are you the albania guy?

Reminder that Newegg has the SHP9500 on sale for $55.99 for another two days.

What do you anons think of the audio technica m40x? I hear the stock pads suck on them

best neutral'ish closed headphones in that pricerange
they do need pad replacements th

I'm on a real tight budget so I've basically narrowed down my picks to either a pair of Sony MDR-7502s or Superlux HD662 EVOs, I'd like to use them for mixing and recording along with just general music listening, which would be better for what I wanna do?

Hey, it's you again! I'm listening to the stream right now and I have been since you posted around 6 months ago. I still remember that tube amp from last time you posted!

i just dont want my ears to be a swamp come summer. i think the velour pads should solve most of that

>why do you think you want neutral?
id rather have to use a slight EQ adjustment if needed. and the DT770s are slightly out of my price range

Do they have good low end? And what replacement pads should I go for?

Do you guys think the Playstation Platinum headset will be any good or will it be shit? I had the Playstation Gold for a while and I liked them, but they're falling apart now.

in that case, get XPT100/HM5

>the DT770s are slightly out of my price range
they're 130'ish on amazon
if you get m40x with HM5 pads you'll also get around that pricepoint

alternatively, XPT100/HM5, which aren't neutral but a bit more bassy
And although they have the HM5 pads, they don't have the velour ones in the bock but rather two pairs of the pleather ones. So you'd still have to order the velour ones if you want velour. Bringing you up there again

I hope you're joking

The HM5 angled?

I've heard that the hm5's have a thin mesh which makes them too bright on the m40x

if you're I meant, if you care about the low end, get XPT100/HM5 instead, since they have a significantly better low end than the m40x and it'll mean you won't have to buy replacement pads, since they already come with two pairs of hm5 pads

but if you do decide to go m40x + pads, it depends on what you want. I'd probably get the hybrids, but if you care the most about bass, angled will probably be the best

>Budget
100-150 USD
>Location
USA
>Source
straight into PC, mobo driven
>Open or closed
Open, soundleak not a concern
>Comfort level
Pretty comfy, will wear most of the day
>Sound signature
Listen to a lot of female vocals and piano so don't mind having that extra treble, neutral is fine too
>Past headphones
Grado SR60s which I loved until the wire crimped
ATH M50s which are fine but miss having open cans

I wasn't joking. I just have normie-tier knowledge about headsets and figured I'd come to this board for some input on a headset I was contemplating buying. Thanks.

Alright, thanks user

does it matter what 6.3 female to 3.5 male i get?
will the sound quality be affected?

nice meme nice meme HOWEVER do you drive a merc? thought not. Albania win everytime

you'll probably want AKG, however they require amps
The 702 would probably suit you best, but they're like 220$ and you'd have to get an amp

maybe get a K612, which go for about 100, then spend like 60-80 on a dac/amp like the e10k. They do have a bass boost over the 702, but you should be able to EQ that down
together they're out of your budget but that dac/amp should last you a lifetime or more, so just see it as futureproofing

unless you get literally bottom of the barrel 10 cent chink shit, no

I was just asking user
come post a review here once you get them, I'm interested how they do, especially if you can give a comparison to some other headphones

check OP if you want actual purchasing advice

You can win 1 million dollars if you can hear the difference of 6.3 female to 3.5 male sound quality en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Audiophile#Controversies

Just got the AKG K712, did I fuck up?

is it what you want
if not, yes you did
if so, no you didn't

I see people say the HD650 is better but I can't seem to see what the big difference between the two is

If you want warmth and highs, sure.

it's literally the exact opposite

this makes me assume you fucked up

I see people meme about how AKGs have no bass and shitloads of highs all the time

I found the k612 pros from China for 125
Are all DACs in the 60-80 range pretty equivalent or is there one that suits the AKGs more?

If I want to forgo amplification altogether what's my best bet?

>He400i
>Schiit Modi
>Schiit Magni
Where do I go from here? Fairly happy with the setup but looking to take the next step and see what more there is. Things I look for in sound:

>Spacious
>Airy
>Great imaging
>Great soundstage
>Bass isn't too much of a focus but I want good extension with neutral amount of quantity
>Sparkle

I listen to a lot of classical, jazz, and stuff with female vocals. Seems like the HD800's are screaming my name but curious about other options.

hd598 is better for only couple of dollars more.

>I found the k612 pros from China for 125
hope it's not aliexpress because that shit is plagued with fakes.
Didn't know you guys got so shagged with the k612

there's a lot of shit ones
e10k is basically as good as you'll ever need.
I'm not sure if there's good cheaper ones

yeah I don't know then man, maybe just get 7506 and continue suffering the no open life or get HD681 and put the rest of the money in the "upgrade when this shit breaks in a year or two" pot for a 702 + amp

if you're interested in sidegrades, try some of the other offers like the DT880, AKG 702, HD600

HD800 is a big step without trying them out first though

Maybe even get some closed headphones like the x00

what the fuck is airy and sparkle even?

what's the difference between spacious & great imagine/soundstage

Wtf is sparkle? HD800 would probably need EQ for mids.

>Never heard of air and sparkle

>Budget
~$250
>Location
USA
>Source
PS4, Computer
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Playstation Gold

>>Sound signature
>Neutral
>Past headphones
>Playstation Gold

Are you sure about wanting neutral?

Check out MSR7

Ok /hpg/ im between getting a soundcard and a dac/amp to drive my HD599's. What's the better buy?
>schiit.com/products/fulla-2 - Fulla 2 Dac/Amp
>a.co/hAuOjmS - FiiO E10K
>a.co/eQaVzyk - Creative Sound Blaster Zx
>a.co/ayI96RA - ASUS STRIX SOAR Sound Card

Anime is trash though

nice try ;^)

Where is sale ?? Amazon ? Ebay? Is it ship to europe?

soundcard upsides: stuffed away, usually cheaper
external upsides: not stuffed away (easier to access/plug things in), less interference from other components, usually comes with a nice ol nob you can twist & turn

I'd say get e10k

if you decide to get a soundcard, have a look at the xonar DX/DGX though

>Reminder that Newegg has the SHP9500 on sale for $55.99 for another two days.
read this post again

Fulla 2 will have the most headroom if you ever upgrade in the future. Its better than the E10k in every way other than size, and the FiiO's shitty bass boost.

Either of those soundcards if you want to ever have a HTPC with surround. Otherwise go with the external soundcard like the Fulla 2.

Not ali, it's eglobal central, never ordered from them though

What are the HD681s?
The 7xxs are the same price as the 702s for me, what's the difference there?

What about other one ??

Which Brilliant Pebbles should I get? Small? Large? Extra Large? Mikro? Is there even a difference? I want only the best.

doesn't matter because it's shit

Do research on the site if you decide to order from them
They seem to have a 7/10 for US & 5/10 for UK so it might be risky

7XX is massdrop exclusive, they're a bass boosted version and usually a good chunk cheaper than the 702
Superlux HD681 are basically the go to budget headphone for bright sound

they're far below your budget but hey, like I said, just save up the rest of the budget for an upgrade down the line

nice magic rocks bro
to get the best effect you need to buy one of each kind and mix them up
the larger ones have the biggest effect, but they leave gaps inbetween if you don't fill them up with the slighter types

He's not wrong though

you can please stop agree with yourself?

Small, and insert them into your ear canal. Ultimate sound quality.

he is tho
it's been scientifically proven the best form of entertainment by multiple different and independent studies conducted both by professionals and students at universities

Gotcha on the 681s
Seems like the Phillips 9500s have a lot of positive response for my price range as well
If I were to grab either the 9500s or 681s along with the e10k would either of those get anything extra with it until an eventual upgrade to one of the AKGs down the line?
I also know a lot of people here shit on Sennheiser but curious on your opinion of the 598s since I know they are pretty self driven.

I'd take the 9500's over the 681's if I were you. Better built, far better comfort, and less grainy sound.

Does a headphone with boosted bass with non-recessed mids and highs exist

Do you still own both of them? 9500 is twice the price.

Potentially the THX00's? I haven't looked at the graphs in a while.

I do. For twice the price youre getting much more than twice the build and comfort. Sound quality not quite, though it is an improvement. For pure sound the 681's are better value I guess, though they're fucking unusable with stock pads. 5 dollar eBay pads do help. Makes them even brighter though.

I find them unusable stock sound too. I put some felt over the driver and that helped.

9500's are about perfect in terms of sibilance. Low end is a lot more 'coherent' feeling too. Stock pads are fucking huge.

This.

Oh I forgot to mention I would like to spend ~$250. Would the Fidelio X2s or HD650 match that description?

I'd say the X2's have a fairly recessed midsection, and I'd /hardly/ call the 650's bass boosted.

Yeah, that's what I read as well.
I'm torn between those two right now

You may want to look to HE400S
The S model is viewed as somewhat inferior to the 400i, but they're honestly just tonally different [and not quite as nice looking]

Slap some HM5's over the rings from the old pads and the low end gets quite juicy. A lot of people get assmad when you suggest this. Partially because muh 400i and partially because Zeos covered it and everybody hates zeos.

They'll have a lot more midrange than X2's, but not quite the same comfort or build quality.

Thanks, I'll look into it

>fairly recessed midsection,
They don't, look at graphs, they have boosted bass and good highs, I've got a pair here and they sound just right, you might want to boost highs a little bit though.

Question about the highs, I've heard there's sibilance and a treble spike. Are they really noticeable?

Will this thing power my HD600 properly? I read nwavguy blog on amps and he stated that HD650 need 4.0 Vrms to hit 115 dB SPL peak, this one provides 4.1 V rms, but it doesn't say anything on what ohm it does so. Also, anyone had this one, impressions? I am talking about HD version, not the Massdrop slim one.

Sounds good, 9500 plus e10k fits my budget for now and allows the AKGs or anything else that needs the power down the line.
Will they get anything out of it other than additional volume, just curious?
Also is there any difference between the newegg 9500s and the amazon ones because newegg has them 20 bucks cheaper?

> Sennheiser uses this shitty lock in mechanism meme in all of their headphones
> It's actually not cross-compatible because each pair of headphones uses the meme in ever so slightly different memeplementations
What can I say? I am loving this meme. I give it 7/5 meme points to this meme. It is so great.

Shouldnt be a difference between newegg and amazon. Newegg has always been a lot cheaper for some reason.

9500's would gain a little bit from amplification. Nothing significant, but I'd say a little more than a 598.

OP here,
Just bought the JBL 450BT for €49. I can very much recommend them. They're not entirely closed though since they're on ear, but the sound ist just beautiful.

Haven't noticed any weird/unpleasant spikes and I have pretty sensitive ears, maybe others do notice them. There's no sibilance whatsoever as far as I can tell, the sound is pretty warm if anything.

Senn and Heiser are fairly common Jewish surnames so go figure.

So I recently just purchased some sph9500s because of the new egg sale. I'm going to be using them with a blue yeti mic. To get the best quality should I buy a dac with it or get a sound card other than my on board one.

has anyone ever used amazon warehouse to buy used? any possibilities of fakes being sold?

I think the Newegg one is sph9500S whereas Amazon is sph9500 not sure if there is a difference

>any possibilities of fakes being sold?
No but you can get nasty shit like hardware reeking of tobacco, something they apparently don't consider a defect.

shit thanks for the warning

Seem to be pretty much identical, the 9500s is just a revision of it with an improved cord and tighter clamp.
Unsure as of yet if the drivers are actually changed or not.
The original 9500 was discontinued before it had a surge of popularity so the 's' is putting new ones out there capitalizing on it.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4xzrp3/any_update_on_the_new_version_shp9500/

I ordered IEMs there once. Full of earwax, smelled like Somali incense or whatever it is that they use. Nasty tbqh.

Can somebody recommend me some earphones for running?

Fuck, can't the fuckers get sued? That's straight biological hazard.

I seriously don't know what people do to their IEMs

Nice! From what they're saying g the product looks to be a little improved then if anything. Would you recommend the Fiio ek10 to boost performance even more for use on pc?

>I read nwavguy blog on amps
Saying his stance on amplifiers is extremely cautious is very generous. One of these I'll get around to fixing and clarifying his statements.

>this one provides 4.1 V rms, but it doesn't say anything on what ohm it does so.
Yes, it manages that with the HD600 as load.

>tfw could have gotten those instead of hyperx cloud
regrets.jpg

Fulla 2 or Micca Origen both have better sound than an E10k, by a long shot as far as DACs go.

Clouds are a good closed can if you want decent low end. You didn't choose too badly at laest.

I mainly miss the openness
didn't think it would make this much of a difference