Ryzen

>Ryzen
lol
[] Performances - Raw computations
H.264 encoding 1080p & H.265, Wprime, PovRay 3.7, Blender 3D, 3DSMax 2015 / Mental Ray, Corona Benchmark
With it's true eight cores, Zen accomplishes prowesses despite it's limited frequency of 3.3 Ghz. It's getting dangerously close - for Intel - of the Intel 6900K while offering performance comparable to the Core i7 5960X which has an identical frequency (3.3 Ghz in Turbo mode). AMD's allegations a few months ago seem to check out in practice, and this is an excellent news. Compared to the FX-8370, we witness a performance gain of around 35% for equal clockspeeds, matching there too with the manufacturer's previsions (40%)
[] Video games performances
Far Cry 4, GRID: AutoSport, Battlefield 4, Arma III, X3:TC, The Witcher 3 : Wild hunt, Anno 2070
If the results might seem clearly more disappointing on the average of the tested games, it fits to keep in mind than the tested prototype was an octo-core with a quite low frequency (in particular in Turbo mode). Meanwhile, the tested games stay very sensitive to the frequency and keep struggling to exploit more than four cores. Hard in those conditions to compare it with a Core i7 6700k of which frequency is at over 4 Ghz. Remains that the Zen architecture shows an efficiency we haven't saw at AMD since a very long time.

[] Electric consumtion
Measures took at full load (in watts)
The measurement of the electric consumption of the Zen CPU was took with an amps meter on the ATX 12V connector at full load. While this method is less precise than the usual one we do on the oscilloscope, it gives a good idea of the performances of the 14 nm LPP of Global Foundries. Once removed losses from the motherboard's VRMs, we can estimate that the processor consumes a bit less than 90 W, a value very close to that of an 6900K. A result that gives good faith in the future.
Editor's opinion:
The Zen architecture should allow ZEN to seriously come back on the CPU market, including the high-end segment abandoned since long. Intel thus risks to suffer a violent [untranslatable French gibberish], a well-deserved consequence for their years of lazyness and arrogance ( The 1 900€ core i7 6950X shall stay the perfect illustration of that). If we hope the comeback of a real concurrency on the processor market, all is not won yet for AMD. While the octocores look on schedule, the constructor must finalize quickly the quad-core derivatives with vastly higher frequencies than the current prototypes: 3.8 see 4.0 or 4.2 Ghz seems like the minimum to tickle the latest Kaby Lake. At last, remains a sizeable unknown : the prices. If some rumours talk of a prety low price grid, we doubt AMD will cut down their CPU while they at last have a chance to make up for their years of losses. At must, do not fuck up in the last straight line ...

Why did they post like this that would cause unnecessary shitposting instead of just waiting for a CPU with 3.4+ clocks?
As it stands what they tested is a underclocked Zen against stock Intel

because getting to leak performance causes huge conversations, and getting to it first means you're the big name for a long while.

Weren't they breaking the law by posting so soon?

They aren't under NDA, so no, not really.

It causes varying degrees of shitposting. There's nothing do discuss, we don't know both prices AND clocks on 4c/6c chips.

Did AMD expect something like this to happen?

It will always happen because AMD sends samples to OEMs for testing, verification and debugging, some dude from some major OEM like Dell or HP gets their hand on it somehow or other and then posts it online.

Other than that this could be intentionally done by AMD, it's not the first time.

Yes, it's free marketing for them. More or less.

Outta topic but, with Intel working on a new x86 Uarch should I wait or buy a Zen CPU? Got a C2D for a decade now, I can wait a bit more if it looks like it'll be worth it. Or is Zen a sufficient upgrade?

>with Intel working on a new x86 Uarch
Which you'll see at the end of 2020 at soonest.

>new x86 Uarch
Intel is going to refresh Skylake 2nd time so it's 3 to 4 years of waiting for you.

Alright, if Zen is priced low imma go for it, if not I'll just wait. Thanks.

Coffe and Cannonlake aren't refresh, they're 6 cores and 10nm

>Zen is priced low
Zen surely will be priced aggresively.
Coffee is 14nm. Cannon is mobile-only.

So they're respectively Skylake + 2 cores(Broadwell-E 6 core exists, and will exist for 3 years before coffee comes out)
And Skylake using 15% less power.

Wow, can't wait.

There's something major to discuss: AMD appears to have performance parity nearer to Skylake than Intel would like to be comfortable with, and that's making them do a lot of things they'd rather not: Announce a brand new uarch, release unlocked i3s, and add 6-core chips to their mainstream.

The only hope I have from those shitstints is that cannonlake might give us 15W quad cores for ultrabooks.

But I also don't see much of a point in that when Raven Ridge+ will have a much better GPU and similar IPC.

>unlocked i3s
Who the fuck needs that with Zen.

> Raven Ridge+
And it might have HBM memeory paired with GPU for consoles-tier perf.

Man, I can only hope, but those SoCs are gonna cost a lot of money.

I'm hoping for a 6 core variant of Zen priced at a Core i5 level or just below of one. If the 6 core is more, way more than that then I won't. Been waiting since C2Q for a mainstream 6+ core CPU worth getting.

I don't see HBM on 15W TDP ultrabook chips.
Maybe on the 25W+ range they might.

4c/8c will be better for gaymen anyway. And you don't even need to pay goytax to OC amd chips.

6 core and 8 core variants will replace 2/4 core variants both by Intel and AMD. 6 cores won't be a meme. They will OC better and clock higher than 8 cores, great for gaymen.

If Zen 6core clocks at some 4ghz i'm sold. It will OC anyway.

>underclocked Zen on par with Skylake

Why is the Intel 8 core so shitty?

Intel are lazy.

Why Intel CPUs aren't soldered anymore? The answer is greed.

>underclocked
>draw 93w

yeah...

It's also an 8 core processor. Intel's 8 cores are like 140W

it's not shitty. it's just way overpriced

ES are as far away from a power target as they can possibly be, ES will never run anywhere close to a regular voltage found on shelves, unless it's that ES that will become the retail SKU

I've got a Z170 board and a Skymeme i3 6100. I might upgrade to the Kabymeme unlocked i3 if it can hit the crazy clocks some people are talking about (5GHz+ on air)