Please stop calling it Linux. It's GNU/Linux or GNU plus Linux

Please stop calling it Linux. It's GNU/Linux or GNU plus Linux.

Thank you for your time.

Alpine Linux though

No, it isn't. "GNU/Linux" is made up artificial controversy for publicity.

Nah it's just Linux.

i'd like to interject for a moment. what you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GanooLoonix, or as i've begun to call it "GooNix"

Do remember that the "GNU" is pronounced "gahnoo" not "new," because GNU is not new

It's like a toddler throwing a fit because he didn't get to name the new family dog

RMS is just asspained that Hurd never went anywhere for his precious userland tools.

seriously, how the fuck did one guy build an entire kernel himself, while mister autist 'last hacker' god himself couldn't fucking do it with a group of people in three decades?

It's simple, everything GNU/FSF touches gets torn up by internal conflicts. They're all communist hippies who only do it for recognition.

And unlike RMS, Torvalds actually knows his shit.

It's Spike/Fido.

Compare GNU true to BSD true and you'll notice the reason right away.

if throwing some seeds is so easy, why did the GNU project not manage to do it?

NO, IT'S CAPTAIN SNUFFALUPAGNUS

yeah i figured as much. it's like those retarded fucking hippies at noisebridge in san fran (where stallman visited). they're all hippie fucking retards and constantly infighting because they let homeless druggies sleep and piss and shit in their "hackerspace" and retards who think they're "hackers" do all sorts of retarded shit and almost burn the building down with their "electronics skills"

Even pronouncing GNU like Gahnoo is seriously fucking retarded

linux is a piss compared to what hurd was supposed to be
if hurd got actual development these days, it'd wipe the floor with linux

Richard stallman is the reason why the linux kernel didn't remain proprietary or worse, get bought by apple. Linus likes GCC and likes the GPL license. Give stallman credit where credit is due.

what are you basing this on?

>what hurd was supposed to be
>supposed to be
Yea, I was supposed to be an astronaut

What hurd was supposed to be is a piss compared to what my own personal kernel was supposed to be
if my own personal kernel got actual development these days, it'd wipe the floor with what hurd was supposed to be

>if I could run, I'd outrun Usain Bolt!
Sure thing, m8.

>GCC
Utter garbage.

>GPL license
A source of all kinds of legal incompatibilities between different open-source projects' source codes.

If it's so garbage, why has linus refused to use any other kernel? He has said so himself he likes GCC.

>A source of all kinds of legal incompatibilities between different open-source projects' source codes.
You're just mad you can't exploit GPL like permissive licenses like BSD.

Hurd is pronounced jalapeño

Meant to say why does he refuse to use any other compiler?

You give the impression that GNU is more important than Linux, and is the other way around. Should say Linux plus GNU.

It's Linux/SystemD/GNU/Gnome, faggot.

systemd/Linux

>you can't exploit GPL
I can and I have. The GPL is mostly unenforceable in most parts of the world.

Also, I'm not "exploiting", I'm just using the code. Stop acting superior, you have no moral high ground.

Politics and GCC specific extensions. Also, since when is Linus an authority on compilers? And since when is argumentum ad verecundiam not a fallacy?

No it's called "Gnoo". It's actually a word in German.
t.German

suck my dick

If I ever met RMS, all I'd do is intentionally anger him by repeatedly referring to it as just Linux.

I don't know why I hurt those who try to help me.

>stallman
>try to help you

Hello my friend, glorious *BSD features none of these childish naming problems

It's a word in most languages, describing pic related. It's just that native English speakers (including RMS) are for some fucking reason unable to pronounce it as a single syllable that it is.

That is intentional. The name is a pun.

Holy shit Stallman BTFO

That's my biggest problem with the gnu shit. Everything's a fucking pun or some in joke or some other faggoty shit.

Hmmm...interesting side note--they bumped Hurd up to 0.9 a week ago.

I love the name GNU. I am actually wearing a GNU shirt right now.

>2016
>still using coreutils, and gcc
>not using toybox
>not using clang

pleb

Old school hacker culture was all about jokes and puns.

KEK/Autism

actually i made the processor and thus it's called processor + gnu + linux

Its actually electrons + processor + gnu / linux

Electrons/Copper/CPU/GNU/systemd/Linux/X.org

Or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Electrons+Copper+CPU+GNU+systemd+Linux/X.org

Who made the electrons?

quarks

Benjamin Franklin.

Electrons weren't made. Not everything has a cause.

you know you can run the desktop without shell nor utilities

Get a load of this guy

Excuse me, friend. FreeBSD is not (just) a kernel. It is, in fact, a complete operating system, complete with kernel, filesystem, coreutils, a modular and extensible compiler toolchain, and, of course, plenty of great documentation in the handbook.

no one actually gives a shit other than RMS and other speglords

remember you're telling this to a linux kiddie

>52 posts and 5 image replies omitted.

>X sits on top of the GNU shell
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

only GNUfags can possibly be this delusional

Linux is not UNIX. GNU is not UNIX.

>Editor not GNU
>not using ed or emacs

I just wanted to jump in here and point out that it's CON-tro-ver-sy, not con-TROV-er-sy.

Thank you for your time.

>shell is on top of DE
nigga what?

I use my shell inside a graphical terminal

> Wins the internet

No I'm running Gnome/X11/GNU/SystemD/Linux faggot

your TERMINAL EMULATOR is part of your DE and the fallback is XTerm.

xorg emulates your shell in a window and your DE/WM adds all of the font rendering colors and scaling. you can run bash/tcsh/zsh/whateverthefuck without a DE or even X for that matter. Shells are not dependent on anything but the kernel and some corelibs.

It's like a cancer tumor went and got more cancer tumors.
Fitting.

>your TERMINAL EMULATOR is part of your DE
no

>konsole isn't part of KDE
>gnome-terminal isn't part of GNOME
kill yourself

what DE is rxvt part of?

But you can't start your DE/WM without first logging into your shell.

Wrong, on virtually all modern distros the DE/WM gets started via a login manager like lightdm, gdm or sddm, which get started by your init system (systemd)

>I've somehow never heard of a display manager

Even if it got actual development these days, without a way to directly port drivers from linux to hurd it would never take off. Ever

GNU is not a complete OS, it does not provide the ability to `mount` (util-linux or on some systems busybox/toybox does) , GNU's """OS""" doesn't even provide a "ps" implementation.

Also where is the freedesktop.org people in the name GNU/Linux? They make xf86-*, or where is Open/LibreSSL? That's pretty important too.

Fuck off, just call the distro by its name.

>I dont know what the difference between a microkernel and a monolithic kernel is

What I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

No, it's Linux.

>GNU fags mad that based Linus Torvalds claimed all the credit
kek