Will HDDs ever be able to compete against SSDs other than in price?

Will HDDs ever be able to compete against SSDs other than in price?

Will SSDs start being cheaper than HDDs soon?

No

Yes

/thread

correct. also, that woman has a large navel

Yes. Reliability.

No.

sauce on the sandy seductress

> ceramic disks spinning hundreds of times a second

> even possibly being more reliable than something solid state

DJ Soda

>yes goy, backup your data on SSDs, never use HDDs! HDDs are not reliable at all! SSDs are better for (You)

>Will HDDs ever be able to compete against SSDs other than in price?
Yes. They compete in redundancy.

>HDD positives
The shit that can fuck up your SSD can not do much to an HDD:
- Electrical fuckups can't wipe out your platter data and the mechanical head won't do anything if there is a functional breakdown, meaning your platter data is retrievable using a recovery service and special tools.
- There is no need to think about a controller chip fucking up like with an SSD.
- There is no need to think about firmware hacks and firmware fuckups like with an SSD.

Addendum:
- In terms of off-line data lifespan Tape > HDD > SSD.
- Because the HDD is slower, the amount of damage done to data in bad events is way lesser than an SSD, because it takes longer for corruption/intrusion (like ransomware encryption) to spread and do its thing. Precious seconds count, as does visible read/write analysis.

>SSD positives
The shit that can fuck up your HDD can not do much to an SSD:
- The vibration problem that may crap up your HDD's mechanical parts is not an issue with SSDs, making them the best portable choice for frequent use.
- You don't have to think about heat as much.
- I can't think of anything else.

Addendum:
- Much easier to calculate the SSD's lifespan.
- Much better overall performance.
- Will be more cost-effective in terms of cost/size ratio in the future unless someone out there substitutes current HDD platters with some crazier platter technology.

==============================================
Conclusion:
Comparing SSD's and HDD's is like comparing apples and oranges.
Both are fruits, but both have something the other doesn't which is why you should eat both.
Both storage devices complement and counteract each other's negatives that come due to the nature of how they store data.
Only uneducated retards think one is a replacement for the other.

Gib da pu$i sauce b0ss

Found the autist

Absolutely not

I'd give it 5 years

what did he mean by this

I was testing tegaki on 4chanx. It lets you edit someones image or one of your own right in the browser before posting.

Don't hard disks also have a controller?

Not as elaborate as an SSD.
If the controller on the HDD gets fucked, nothing much. Best case scenario the HDD is well compartmentalized and the controller can be replaced, worst case scenario the retrieval is done via a special device.

SSD controller gets fucked? It may just end up purging your data or rendering it irretrievable.

>hdd is susceptible to:
heat
shock
dust
magnetic
humidity
normal wear-and-tear

>SSD is susceptible to:
10PB of writing

Not to mention the read/write is 4+ times quicker so RAID arrays can be repaired faster, making them more reliable.

Who's this semen demon?

That's amazing
fuck :( I wish that the newer 4chanX versions didn't break the Sup Forums CSS I'm currently using

Seagate have already said SSDs will never be cheaper than HDDs.

Who is this system daemon?

I would gladly dedicate her some rotational velocidensity scratching my HDD head against her Taiwanese workshop, if you catch my drift

HDDs are here to stay, the question "will HDDs ever be able to compete" is dull, but hey you knew that. The newcomers are SSDs and they are a different product shipping different features; for some use case they are better than HDDs but they are not in the same boat

SSDs cheaper than HDDs? No, only a high schooler can believe that.

now tell me how many bad sectors your spinning disc gained due to heat (trip to sahara?), shock (playing minecraft whilst rafting on your favourite accelerometer-faulty laptop?), dust, magnetic (are you serious?) or humidity (sauna is a hell of a drug rite?); now compare your stats with SSDs playing in the same unholy elements
>raid reliability is increased with SSDs
>because it will heal faster!
and that's how I know you don't literally have any idea what you're talking about

>trusting a hdd manufacturer to know prices of ssds
Kek

Once SSDs become commonplace developers will assume everyone has one and software will run as slow as an HDD and HDDs will be unusably slow.

> Will HDDs ever be able to compete against SSDs other than in price?
No.

> Will SSDs start being cheaper than HDDs soon?
Uncertain. Probably not too soon for typical bulk storage.

seagate has no control over what their competitors do

The new industry standard won't be SSDs, it will be whatever's next. SSDs are pretty much already out of date.

That already happened with osx

I want to fuck that chinky so bad. Semen semen semen why am I so alone