Sup Sup Forums

sup Sup Forums,
im building a rig for serious number crunching, video editing, and some light gaming. i was wondering: are there really any advantages to using an SSD? the way i see it, mechanical watches are better, and mechanical keyboards are better, so heck, mechanical hard drives are probably better too. Anyway, if you could check out my build so far, I'd appreciate it!

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xFdX2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/LmfyLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/P32xVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

oops, forgot my link!
pcpartpicker.com/list/xFdX2R
it's really lame that you can't edit your posts on this website, someone should bring it up to the admin

bump

You should go ask /pcbg/, but before you go tell me what you're gunna do with all that firepower.

i did, in my first post :)

Fuck off degenerate weaboo

Try harder
pcpartpicker.com/list/LmfyLD

sorry, that's over my budget...

>pcpartpicker.com/list/xFdX2R
36$?Seriously?
pcpartpicker.com/list/P32xVY

>2.4ghz
those are slower

Make sure you show your belly when you apologize

wait i mixed up the links XD

>pcpartpicker.com/list/xFdX2R
Huh?! My link is 2.6GHz 8 core, your link is 2.4GHz 4 core.

i corrected myself
and please don't post pictures like that

If your problem would scale well then:
Multi node Linux on very cheap workstations, simple FX4100 on a microatx with the cheapest of second hand components, each node should cost around £150,

Also if your problem can utilise open CL then get as many hd7950s for each node with focus on buying microatx with multiple pcie slot, pcie multiplier will not limit performance if problem has a high ratio of calculations to data needed to be transferred,

This is by far the best solution and even better if you can do custom code for your problem, and custom BIOS to write a data transfer communication between pcie slots of motherboard to motherboard,

I built a five node opencl system for computational chemistry for £1000 and it is comparable in performance to commercial systems worth £20000

i also use the single nodes for gaming on w7, but losing traction with really new games, GTA 5 only get 40fps most of the time

You can pickup second hand HD7959s on eBay for around £80

Why not just get a Titan XP or FirePro if you want to stay TeamRed?

Why bother with 4x480s? Just to say you run 4 cards in crossfire?

Also this thread feel like pic related

are those as good at mining bitcoins?

No, only custom ASIC devices are any good, and if you don't have free electricity you will never break even on your initial purchase, bitcoin mining access is fucked for anyone wanting to get into it

oh well they'll still be good for the light gaming part then

Don't fall for memes. Neither mechanical watches or keyboards are better. They can survive mistreatment but you shouldn't mistreat them in the first place.

Get an SSD for perfomance alongside a hard drive for space.

>edit posts
I hope this never happens.

>the way i see it, mechanical watches are better, and mechanical keyboards are better, so heck, mechanical hard drives are probably better too
Are you retarded?

>mechanical watches are better, and mechanical keyboards are better
those are both objective facts so i don't see how inferring the same about hard drives would be any different...

Ignoring the fact that those "facts" are wrong
(a good quartz watch is significantly more accurate than the best mechanical watch), your logic, or rather your brain, is wrong (mechanical computers must be better than digital computers, right? Mechanical penises must better right? Let me chop off your dick and replace it with a prosthetic. Mechanical apples must be tastier than regular apples right?)

i'm sorry, this is the technology board, isn't it?
blatant stupidity and posting opinions as fact (as you're doing now) should be bannable