/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4ygnNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/vbpKNN
pccasegear.com/products/19209/silverstone-ts06-external-usb-slim-optical-drive-enclosure-black
pcpartpicker.com/list/nMv49W
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
pcpartpicker.com/list/c3K3sJ
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78648-Maximus-VIII-HERO-M-2-or-RAID-not-both
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/7nHWKZ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cvC8xY
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vwFZqk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Add a good sub 140.00$ ATX motherboard to this build. Pic related.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4ygnNN

pcpartpicker.com/list/vbpKNN

how is this for an external cd drive?
pccasegear.com/products/19209/silverstone-ts06-external-usb-slim-optical-drive-enclosure-black

>USB2.0
It will do the job

>tfw want a new pc because want to upgrade to 4k and 4670k + r9 290 couldn't handle it
>tfw don't want to go with intel and nvidishill
>tfw have to wait for ryzen and vega

>reading DVDs at 10Gbps

Vega is expected to match a 1070/1080 performance level, that's hardly 4K itself. At 4K, you're probably gonna be limited to 60fps, which means your CPU isn't as important as it is for high-fps gaymen, zen should be able to do it, but the last 4 years of Intel also should do it fine
I honestly think vega is unrealistic for 4K, you're probably gonna have to go with nvidia for that if you're expecting this before 2018

I'm fine with high settings, maybe even turning it down to 1440p, and I'd prefer to avoid Nvidia for graphics cards.
But AMD themselves are promoting Vega to be able to push 4k, so we'll see.
Also, I'm not upgrading my CPU for gaymen, but for other tasks.
I'm just excited to have an all-AMD system after all these years ;_;

The exact same quote that said vega was for 4K said the 470 was for 1440p
I'm all for sticking it to the man but don't buy and if it turns out to be shit

I'll never go for the option equivalent to Nvidishill *80 pricing anyways, as the price to performance is just fucked beyond all belief, so I'm fine with Vega not being ubertopmeme

Morning, sunshines, I have some trouble choosing a MB for kabylake. So basically I have a pci soundcard which I will keep at any cost, so it comes only to 4 choices (upgrading bios of 170 ones isnt a problem):
*MSI Z170A GAMING M3
*ASUS Z170-A
*ASUS PRIME Z270-K
*ASRock Z270 Pro4
After some thoughts I'd like to prefer asrock over other ones. Is there any particular reasons why I should choose another one for using and probably OCing 7*00k?

PCI to PCIe adapters exist
But let's not mention that PCI support hasn't been mandatory since broadwell, you're completely relying on motherboard hardware/firmware for PCI, it's out of the chipset and has mixed success with different motherboards and OS'es

Posting my first build and looking for some suggestions. What do you guys think? Trying to keep it at around $1000

pcpartpicker.com/list/nMv49W

Why the fuck would you prefer assrock?
That's the opposite of what you should do

Get more ram, fast ram at that (3000mhz is usually at good prices)
Get a better PSU brand
Looks gud tho

Don't you really only need 8gb though? Isn't 16GB a bit overkill? And is there any particular brand you would reccomend?

>Get 1 8 GB stick instead of 2 4 GB sticks, leave a slot for future upgrades, you can also get a single 8 GB stick for about $10 less than what you chose there
>Rosewill is known as Roseshit for a reason, get a proper PSU, that is the last thing you want to cheap out on
>That said, that system does not need a 650 watt PS at all, use this outervision.com/power-supply-calculator to calculate what you really need
>Get a cheaper MB, ones around $80 are just fine
>Mechanical keyboards are a meme, save your money for a better GPU, you will be glad you did
>Use savings I've already enumerated to get a 1070, or stick to 1080p but get a better monitor
>Beware those random nobody sites surprising you with shipping costs that are not included in this list
>B&H charges no sales tax outside of NY so if you buy as much stuff as you can there you'll save an assload on tax, obviously compare and contrast the prices on amazon that have tax to B&H without tax, go with the overall cheapest, really useful for graphics cards

I'm trying to get ahold of the Titan X Pascal from the NVIDIA site (since its cheaper to buy it through them), but they sell out in 2 seconds. How are you supposed to get one of these fuckers???

buy the assrock and oc then watch as the solder fails

Some games+programs use more than 8GB
8GB is like a minimum nowadays, even just for games
And seasonic is the go-to PSU brand

What's better? Laser or Optical mouse? Or does it not really make a difference?

>Get a cheaper MB, ones around $80 are just fine
Any particular mobo you would recommend?

is 60 bucks a good deal for a X4 860k ?

Avoid no name brands, past that just look at reviews, because even companies that are generally okay have lemons sometimes. One thing to bear in mind is not to weigh one "My shit was DOA" review get to you and psych you out of buying a piece of hardware, people who have shit that goes fine tend not to write reviews, and everything ever made has some failure rate. If it has lots of reviews and 3 stars then avoid that shit though.

Also check the chipset to make sure the MB you're looking at has OC support, just in case you're unaware that is something to consider.

Optical mouses are usually more accurate than laser ones.

Windows 10 uses optical mice to send high resolution images of your mousepad to Microsoft for malicious botnet purposes

>people who have shit that goes fine tend not to write reviews
This, but when my shit is fucked I become a loud mouthed American.

This is my first build, any feedback?

pcpartpicker.com/list/c3K3sJ

There's so many power supplies, I don't know which one I should choose...

25TB/10

muh RAID 10

Blame Daiz for this.

You do realize that only the Z model Intel mobos support OC right?

Why even run raid for redundancy if a second drive is gonna fail by the time you rebuild 6TB?
Also why not use M2 NVME drives if you're going for muh futureproof meme?

what's the meme about asrock?

Depends, newer non Z boards can OC if you are willing to fuck with your BIOS, at least you could with Skylake.

user said this was his first build though. I doubt he wants to fuck with his BIOS.

They're not good

>Also why not use M2 NVME drives if you're going for muh futureproof meme?
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78648-Maximus-VIII-HERO-M-2-or-RAID-not-both

I'm still with in the return period for my 6700k, which I bought a couple of weeks ago.
Would it at all be worth it to go for the minimal gains of the 7700k, if I can essentially get it for free? On Win 7 by the way.

I never heard that, I heard you had to downgrade bios on Z170 to OC non-K CPUs, on Z170 only

I'm pretty sure how it works is you need a Z mobo to OC an unlocked intel CPU.

My gigabyte Z170 doesn't have this problem kek
Maybe it's because you're using HDDs

Stupid question, if I were to remove the i3 processor from a dell inspiron 3520, could I use it in a PC build? If it is compatible, I don't think it will be a problem since the PC will be for older games like TF2, and I'm willing to buy a good graphics card.

That's how it's SUPPOSED to work. But with Skylake, there's a workaround where on CPUs with locked multiplier you can still increase the BCLK with the right motherboard and BIOS version.

Except that user is getting an 6600k, which is unlocked.

Looks like an Amiga 600.

Desktop and mobile CPUs aren't cross swappable, except in the rare 10 gorillion dollar gaming laptops that use desktop CPUs.

yes but for 15 more you can get better shit

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/7nHWKZ

Give me the go-ahead.

She would be perfect except for the visible abs, I like a girl with no gut, but with a soft tummy.

Anyway

>Your MB is ludicrously expensive, you are literally paying twice as much as you should the hell is wrong with you
>Get cheaper RAM, you're getting ripped off there too
>Getting ripped off with your PSU too, change it
>Unless you really really like the look of that case you can get cheaper that's just as good

Otherwise basically okay.

Will I need to get separate SATA cables to connect my SSD? The one I got didn't come with any.

Unless they explicitly say they are throwing in SATA cables, do not expect them, most of the time they are selling the drive and nothing else.

What kind of SATA cable will I need? Will the power connector come from the PSU into the drive?
Also, will I need to get a tray for it or will the case include one?
Nothing I read included any of this extra stuff and I want this thing built by tomorrow.

Sata3 (6Gbps), basically the only one you'll find
Yes you'll also need a SATA power cable, your PSU should come with plenty
Depends on your case, some come with HDD trays that have SSD mounts in them, some require you to buy a $3 3.5"-2.5" adapter, some cases just have holes to screw/slide your SSD into place directly onto the metal
If you don't have any of that, you can Velcro your SSD anywhere on your case, toss it into an empty bay of any kind, or literally just leave it hanging, SSDs aren't affected by how they're mounted

Thanks a lot for your help.

Get some SATA cables, just search "SATA cable" on amazon, these are SATA cables for data

The power supply has the power supply cables for SATA devices running out of it, only one type will fit the SSD, so you'll know it when you see it.

One last thing actually.
The case I'm getting says it comes with two trays for HDD/SSD, but would it also come with the screws? Or would I need to buy them separately?

The case will have screws.

I mounted all my drives with the power supply screws since I had extra
I don't know if my drives or case came with HDD bay screws, if they did I lost them

Should I buy a hyper 212 evo for my non-k i5?
It gets over 65 degrees under load

65° is fine.
Only get a cooler if the noise bothers you or if you're actually getting 85°+

It will help lower temps, but 65 isn't bad.

Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, nothing else and swapp the NEX for a G2 or preferrably a G3 PSU.

Is it bad to use a 4 pin PWM splitter to power two fans off the single header?

That's why they make the adapter you're describing

Thanks, the stock cooler is quite noisy though

You can also get 8 plug power boards that run off one wall socket but that doesn't mean it is safe.

Then get some cooler for like 20 bucks, Deepcool Gammax 300/400, Cryorig M9i or if you'rr from EU some EKL, Be Quiet or whatever you find.

I know its possible but what about the PWM line having two signals?

nice video game consoles

Most headers support max 1A, just look at the fan specs and if both combined are less than 1A, its fine.

Usually the splitters will have one 4pin and one 3pin so one fan's PWM signal controls the speed of both fans.

From what I'm seeing online, there is no standard max amperage through a fan header, but people are regularly pulling 1 amp+ through a single fan header on older motherboards
Noctuas website is shilling their fan as "ultra low power .06 amps" compared to "standard 2 watt (.16 amps) fans"
So I'm assuming, even with "normal" efficiency fans, you could put 2, 3 or even 4 off of a single fan header safely
But the PWM pulse comes from the motherboard, there's only one PWM signal. The fan speed sensing pin might be a bit inaccurate but it shouldnt affect how your fans work

A 24" monitor really is worth the extra money. Check www.acerrecertified.com for good deals on monitors. I've read great reviews on the scratch & dent items.

Do note it's AUS prices.

Make sure you have enough sata cables. I doubt your mobo comes with 6. They cost $2. I'd get a 650w psu with at least an 80+ bronze rating, and make sure it comes with at least 6 sata power connecters. Dont buy Rosewill.

Repostan in new bread

I got a 120GB Kingdian because I was going for a relatively budget build but with Christmas sales and a bonus from work, I ended up buying an 850.
What the fuck do I do with the Kingdian?

Put virtual machines on it

msy has that mobo for cheaper

I did, even considering that those items are far more price inflated than several other things he has there that are close to being reasonable, considering it's Australia. I refuse to believe a typical motherboard sells for 240 kangaroo bucks there.

>2017
>buying KingDian
Chinkshit SSDs and sharks had a good run but since the chinks raised the prices they aren't worth it anymore.

cancel that, I bought the same one last week from them for $209, now its 259. Must have got a pricing fuck up special

I got it on 11/11 for a whole 40 aussie bucks.

Check out my overwatch and wow box. I can't believe how well it's running, I'm even able to play ultra with render scale at 150% in overwatch. Max settings in WoW too. Both at 60 fps 1080p. All for the price of a craptop at walmart. I got a 22 inch 1080p TN panel for $50 on craigslist. My friend gave me his old mechanical keyboard and I had a mouse I used to use with my laptop.
Who else /poverty/ build???

inb4 you wasted your money on old outdated shit should have bought a amd chip and a rx 460.
overwatch/wow/diablo/rocket league/lol don't give a fuck about the architecture, they almost fully utilize the gpu regardless of age, which is nice.The 770 benches higher than a 960 in ow.

Next I think I'm going to buy a new power supply just because I don't trust this one.

>motherboard manufacturers can just tack on 50 digeridollars just because, and nobody can stop them

I mean good for you, but all those games are easy to run so it's not super impressive that you spent 300 bucks on a mediocre build.

>11/11
Chances are you got chink'd, they usually raise prices before 11/11 and/or """rebate"" from the original MSRP which they never ever sell the products for.

Just MSY being jews.

I used that price checker thing that was posted a lot and it was indeed a "sale" back to the original price after being raised a few weeks prior.

You should have waited for ryzen. Prices will drop everywhere mang.

See, that's why i don't buy chink shit anymore unless i need it or it's really on sale. Fuck those semitic chinks.
For SSDs i'll stick with PNY CS1311, SanDisk Ultra II and Samsung 850 EVO.

I did get an 850, which leads back to my question of what I even do with a spare 120GB SSD.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cvC8xY

VMs as some other user suggested, dual boot for Linux, swap out some old HDD in a laptop or sell it online.

Fixed it for you laddie

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vwFZqk

Use it
Like what kind of question is this?

that's retarded and you should feel bad

>2500's and GTX 770's
The shilling just will not stop will it

It's retarded to spend less money on RAM and get the same quantity, and get a higher rated PSU for less money? Are you a 14 year old Australian practicing being a sick cunt online?

Both are shit and you should both fuck off.

I mean $300 for something that is likely going to out-perform an i3 6100/rx 460 or gtx 1050 build in every game is really good.