/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

old one
Ask your stupid questions here.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.github.io/material-design-icons/#sizing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

will poosmear really force intel to drop prices?

You sure are

I posted in thinkpad general but didn't get a response...

I bought a T530 on ebay and I'm wondering if I did good or if the seller is suspect/the model is actually trash etc.

ebay.com/itm/291987726564

Also been slightly bothering me that I can't figure out if this particular model of T530 has a backlit keyboard or not, and if the included SSD is Samsung of Lenovo.

All the phone numbers that were saved on my phone through Google, rather than on the SIM card, have vanished. Messages from those numbers are still there, but they no longer have the name of the sender attached. How can I get those numbers back? I might have told my phone to ignore my Google account when I added a number recently, but I thought I already had that guy's number so it might have been a problem already when that happened.

My sister just bought a refurbished PC, I think she may have been fucked over.

Firstly the harddrive just sounds pretty rough. I know nothing about computers but I know thats bad. It doesn't quite sound like crunching and the system performs okay but I tried to do a /chkdskc and it the test didn't complete.

Then I noticed the hard drive had 1TB written on it, in some system utilities (like the windows partitioning tool thing and in the defragmenter tool) it showed up as 1TB but the computer was sold as having a 320GB HDD and only 320GB of the disk is formatted, the rest being empty space on the hard drive.

I have told my sister to return the computer, but I'm just so fucking confused as to why the refurbishing company would do that. Is it a way to conceal a harddrive fault?

It's been a full moth since I got an update for one of my apps, what the fuck is happening, I haven't received any update simce then.

what thinkpad and linux distro should i use

im new baby retard!!!!!

spoon feed me

google.github.io/material-design-icons/#sizing
anyone familiar with Google icons?

I'm trying to use their predefined classes for resizing, but literally nothing happens when I do.

I tried menu
but it looks excatly the same as the default menu (24px)

my new gpu says it needs 500w psu with 30amps.
does the 30amps needs to be on a single rail? my psu has 2 rails of 24amps each

>

I have a 32GB USB flash drive. I want to be able to boot into TAILS and Kali (ideally both 32- and 64-bit) from it, as well as having a portion just for storage and using as a regular flash drive. Is this doable?

I looked into YUMI, but after installing the distros and shrinking the 'multiboot' partition to create another one for storage, 'multiboot' could no longer be found and I couldn't boot from the flash drive (it just gave me a flashing terminal prompt in the top-left until I held down the power button).

The 'storage' partition would have to be FAT32 as it would have to work with both Windows and GNU/Linux.

What shade of red is this?

Google says wine, blood or garnet but I'm hoping one of you designers could help so I can be sure.

where do i start with putting together my first rig to play cs:co well

thats all i care about

pcpartpicker
logicalincrements

What happens when browsers reach version 99, when DOES it become ridiculous ?

Hello, lads. I've been facing some problems while playing online games.
When my computer is the only device connected to Internet, I can play games normally and my ping stays pretty low.
If any other device make any kind of downloading or use any streaming service, my ping goes high as fuck.
How can I solve that problem?
Thanks, lads.

>try streaming a 4k movie wirelessly to from compooter to android tv using plex locally(?)
>get stutters and "your connection to the server isn't fast enough blabla smooth playback"
>ok
>go buy a new cat 6 cable and connect between my tv and 1gbs tplink c7 router
>try again
>stutters and "your connection to the server isn't fast enough blabla smooth playback"
What gives?
Do I need to enable local mode or something?
Should I just use HDMI from my compooter? I don't really want to use HDMI because of new its 4k anti-piracy called HDCP 2.2

what do

Thanks friend

my graduation has a decent amount IT but not much programming (like information theory, information security, system modeling), if my goal is mostly develop webpages, apps, programs for companies (what I mean is: programming as in IT field and not as in CS field), the time and effort to go through SICP would really be worth it for me or pic related or another book would better suit my needs? thanks
t. Not a pajeet ;_;

I'm making a text-based adventure RPG in python for fun.

I have a save file system, but I want to make it so you can't just find out what a value does and edit it.

How can I make it so that it's not easily editable?

forgot to mention, I already went through a algorithm book and know a bit of C, PHP, Java, C#, CSS and HTML, I wanted something a bit more advanced

compress + xor encrypt it

No, web app development doesn't need SICP. Just start making web apps. Find a framework that looks cool (Phoenix is the new hotness) and learn it and make toy sites. That's the best way to learn marketable skills and build your portfolio.

will do
thanks

thanks

Is there a Sup Forums successful way of getting rid of stuck pixels?

I have a x200t I got for 50$ on amazon. Can I flash coreboot or libreboot on it the same as on a regular x200 or not? Also, is there any other laptops besides older thinkpads that I could buy for this?

check the css hierarchy if you overwrite it somewhere.

how to get rid of nvidia botnet

uninstall it?
why did you install that shit in the first place.

I only use piratebay and rutracker. What are some other torrent sites?

my games run terribly without it

Searching for a way to increase my ping in a video game (and only that game).
Please no downloading or vpn solutions

Is there a Sup Forums-recommended site that sells laptop monitors?
My Dell XPS 13 monitor broke like two months after the warranty ran out and I don't want to have someone repair it if I can do it myself for cheaper.

Which programs are the best for monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures?

scrap that. the plex player even stutters when I use the server computer to play the file through the plex interface through chrome on the same computer. it works fine using mpc-hc. I also get the some message like "the server is not powerful enough to convert" even though I'm playing at the original quality.

I should mention the bitrate is 6100kbit/s of the file I'm trying to play

anyone? pic related is my setup btw, but i don't see how it would matter when it works fine on mpc-hc

What kind of build would necessitate those PSUs that go over 1000 watts?

3-4 -way SLI

Niece asked to help her choose a netbook that has no problems with performance. What is a good choice ?

>Netbook
>Performance

Pick one.

Watching movies and ocasionally using it with graphics tablet to draw.

used thinkpad x series

MacOS 10.11 or 10.12?
What will make a difference?

Thanks. What model i should be aiming for ?

Turn on QoS (Quality of Service) for your machine and gaming ports in your router / read up on it.

Trying to learn python. Don't care about the dead language meme, just doing it for a hobby.

What program is best to write and test code in?

I have a capture card and a sound card. If I plug a console into that capture card, will I benefit at all from my sound card? Or is the capture card the weak link?

Idle runs fine as an interpreter. Notepad++ is a pretty common program to use to write code in, just make sure to adjust "tab to indent"settings to be 4 spaces

thanks!

I'll check them out

Which model of the airport express should i get, the one that looks like a charger or the one that looks flat like usual. Do not want to se it for much except the wireless audio feature, but not only for music but also for watching movies, so the less late the better...

can get both variants used for 20 around 30 $...

What's a good Intel 65nm CPU I should upgrade from the Core 2 Duo E4500? It has a 500w PSU.
Doing LGA 771 to 775 mod and putting in a Xeon X3230? Core 2 Quad Q6700?

Why are people on this site so fucking brand loyal? You bought a product, you didn't join a team.

Q1?
Why do people worry about programming speed for menial task? those milliseconds will never slow anything down.

Q2?
Why does gradle builds take so damn long in android development compared to c# and java.

Q3?
Can I get a python script to run when a USB thumb drive is plugged in?

I'd still recommend the SICP as the way it makes you think about programming will make you a better programmer in general, take what I'm dating with a grain of salt however as I'm a huge Lisp cultist

1: eventually you might reuse it in a larger project where speed counts.
3: on windows every autostart from external drives is disabled.

T440s
ubuntu

then kill yourself for using ubuntu

Q3 yes

Does that really happen that often? How many programs actually run so many times that would ever be noticeable besides with a runtime clock.

I figure I could program a computer to react once a thumb drive is connected, but can I get a thumb drive to run a script when its plugged into a computer?

What's a cheap low powered mini pc that isn't one of the micro board/ARM family?
Or at least an alternative for a cheap server

Do I use the lotion on my dickhead too when treating scabies?

I know this is a /spg/ queation but
Is it posible to flash a custom rom via adb on a phobe with a locked bootloader?

Here's a stupid question: do I need to update to Nougat if I want CyanogenMod Nougat

no, your original rom gets replaced entirely.

danke

Didn't Cyanogen die?

It's alive bruh

what program should I use to interpret SMART status of my hard drives?

crystaldiskinfo

CM did die. There's a fork called lineage os

Cyanogen != CyanogenMod

Build your own with a mini-itx board/G4400 or G1820 combined with a mini-box PicoPSU and efficient adapter.

trying to make a css to change anonymous to anonymoose and leave namefags as is

got this:

.nameBlock .name['Anonymous']:before, .nameBlock .name['Anonymous']:after {
content: 'Anonymoose';
}

I've only started reading up on these pseudo-elements, but it should work as far as i can tell. anyone see what's wrong?

>name['Anonymous']

this isn't a CSS selector.

My S6 Edge won't boot into safe mode. When I boot into regular mode, it just hangs on a black screen, doesn't load my lock or anything, but tapping home twice opens my camera, and my notification bar is still there.

What do?

Oh i see now, I've pulled this trick off some site that says it's for the mozilla browsers only

Hurm... Any tip on how I could go about this in some other way?

.name:only-child {
text-indent: -99999px;
line-height: 0;
display: inline-block;
}
.name:only-child::after {
content: 'Anonymoose';
display: block;
text-indent: initial;
line-height: initial;
}

oh, namefags, not tripfags.

you can't, there's nothing that makes the name different from "Anonymous" and you can't have a css selector based on text content.

>and you can't have a css selector based on text content.
So I should look into "userscripts" then? At least with JS I'll have conditionals. Thanks for help.

if it was a good deal why not just buy a new HDD or use one from an old pc or laptop she got

portforwarding

HEY! so maingear forgot to connect my ssd drive when they sent me my pc build last year, and being a dumb fag I just kept using my HDD for everything. Now, I want to install windows 10 on the ssd and transfer my apps and games to it. I've downloaded the windows installer on a flash drive, and am attempting to install it fresh on the ssd but am running into problems. CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME?!

(function() {
'use strict';

[].forEach.call(document.querySelectorAll('.name'), (el) => {
if (el.textContent === 'Anonymous') {
el.textContent = 'Anonymoose';
}
});
})();

Help.

My HTC10 skips when playing music (Poweramp)

Any idea what might cause this..?

So I just got some new parts for my computer.
A gtx1080 and fx-8350.
I realize that the cpu might be bottlenecking the gpu a tad if it isn't overclocked, though I really don't know how much.

Anyway, I got these parts and tried to play Fallout 4 to test them out.
I started getting drops into the 30-40fps range from just walking around.

Is this normal for this set-up? I would have thought that this set-up would have at least been able to get a consistent 60fps in Fallout 4.
Any ideas what the problem is if there are any?

is this the correct thread for this kind of question?

The cpu in general is shit for 75% of games. As you can see here overclocking it to 4.7ghz still won't help very much.

I have a Raspberry Pi that I am trying to install Kodi on.

Unfortunately I do not have direct internet from my router, and need to connect to another SSID and authenticate to access the internet.

So on my home network, I can Putty into the Pi and connect to the Pi's eth0 port. I then VNC into it, and connect to the internet network (wlan0).

Whenever I try to browse, it appears to use eth0 - as I am directed to my home network's router page.

What I think I am looking for is a command such as "chromium-browser --interface wlan0 URL", unfortunately after checking the man page this does not exist.

I tried to set chromium-browser to proxy through wlan0 but I don't think that's how a proxy is supposed to work.

Should I add the wlan0 default gw as the eth0 default gw? I would imagine not since they are on different networks and it would require a router.

Any advice would be appreciated.

push config.
disgusting

I see.
That's worse than i thought.

In that case I have a really retarded question:
If I wanted to get an intel cpu, would I have to get a different motherboard?

>push config
what does that mean?

where is my help? ;___;' bullying is not allowed here

Yup. So you are looking at atleast 400 for an intel motherboard and i5 or maybe i7
Is it too late to return your 8350?

Honestly, I don't know.
I received both of these parts as gifts that I didn't really ask for.

I'm realizing now that it probably would have been better to just get a new PC entirely.

The fans are on the wrong side of the radiator, pushing air into the rad instead of pulling it through it.

Check CPU usage. You set "original" but that doesn't mean the codec is compatible with the browser.
Did you try PMP?

Anyone able to give advice for installing windows on my new ssd?

Well if it was free, you can probably make due
If you don't like the performance though, you could probably sell your cpu, mobo and ram and either wait for ryzen (amds new cpu line coming in a couple months) or buy an i5/ i7 setup