Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sit6zUQKpJc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Laser.

>print too much
>burn through tiny expensive ink cartridges
>print too little
>ink cartridges dry up and printer becomes uncalibrated
I would buy a laser printer but it's easy to go to walgreens twice a year when I have to print something

This.
I have a laser printer, but it ended up printing awfully.

>Your cyan is at 25%! Get more ink now!!!
>No printing! Ink now!
>No monochrome! Need cyan! RREEEE

Fuck inkjet

>letting other people get a copy of your files

How are matrix printers?

The one that does not spy on me, i.e. doesn't put yellow invisible dots on paper.
So yes, laser.

>Bought a Brother laser printer for €150 in 2012, €100 off its regular price because of a pricing error
>Still use the "trial" toner carts, have reset their page count about six times and they still haven't shown a single sign of being empty
The Linux drivers are a bitch to configure though.

whatever my workplace has available

Color lasers do that as well youtube.com/watch?v=sit6zUQKpJc

I just print at a local place for 8c (AU) a page.

>printing in current year

Ink Tank printers

Laser, unless it's a Brother printer. I seriously hope they don't turn evil and stop making printers with chipless cartridges.

I go to my parents house to print shit

I'm wondering too. Can you just print pdfs and shit without reflowing them or will it look like shit?

Get a black and white laser printer. Trust me you'll mostly want to print large documents. No body prints images unless maybe you're doing box art. Mostly you just make PowerPoints anyways, what do you need color for?

>ink tank printers
>paying $10 a month to use your printer

lel, bur, kek

I have a very old dot-matrix printer
- it's monochrome
- it doesn't have great resolution
- finding replacements for the ink ribbon is kind of difficult
- Drivers for printing images are a pain
- You don't get to print PDF
- Very limited set of fonts (but they all look good)

however
- you can print hundreds of kilometers of pages on a single ink ribbon. When your ink finally runs out you can still print thousands of pages in gray rather than black.
- sounds like raw machinery (cuz it is), I'd imagine it goes well with the sound of a mechanical keyboard.
- it's older than many people on this board but still works like a char^W^Wan AK-47
- tractor-feed paper

4/10 fun but ultimately too limited today

it's amazing how we still don't have an open source printer

anyone know knows how printers work wants to start a kickstarter? i'll give you 5 bucks

It may be that the inkjet printheads with tiny nozzles need a proper manufacturing facility to produce and aren't something a DIYer can pull off. Wouldn't hurt to do an "open specification" for one though... I'm guessing inkjet is easier to opensource compared to laser with stuff like transfer drums, heating elements, toner distribution etc.

I meant open source drivers that you can modify and compile, in particular to avoid those anti privacy patterns and maybe to make it work on any OS. Of course the printer itself would be manufactured by at least one company and sold for a profit.

People are making felt-tip pen printers with lego, which not only is open-source, but also open hardware.

Even the ink is cheap

>implying this is avoidable by using your own printer

Laser all day every day.

Inkjet is fucking shit and will always have dried out cartridges when you need them most, toner lasts literally forever.

Laser if you need only B/W, inkjet if you need color. Color lasers are way to expensive for home use IMHO.

whats this 10$ a month thing?

If you need color you know what you need color for, if you are someone who just wants a printer in case, laser b&w will do damn near every single thing you need it to/could use it for.

Laser but only because I got one from work for free.

HP 4250 that was retiring. Grinds like a motherfucker but I think I know how to fix that.

HP laserjets are built like tanks and are designed to be worked on. I could probably do a full teardown and rebuild of a 42/43XX series, 401X series, or a 60X series Laserjet enterprise.

But yeah about 99% of the time it just sits, the 1% of the time I need it, I need it now and I don't need dried up ink carts and I want my document fast which the laser excels at.

>implying I print hundreds of pages every day